Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Elon Musk now owns Twitter

(11-16-2022, 05:07 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: Twitter needed an enima.. Elon is that enima lolol

But will the patient recover?
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-16-2022, 05:51 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(11-16-2022, 05:07 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: Twitter needed an enima.. Elon is that enima lolol

But will the patient recover?

I'm sure of it..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(This post was last modified: 11-16-2022, 08:37 PM by NewJagsCity. Edited 1 time in total.)

(11-16-2022, 04:46 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Elon Musk Gives Twitter Employees a Deadline to Stay or Leave (msn.com)

Elon Musk gave Twitter employees a deadline of 5 p.m. Eastern time on Thursday to decide if they wanted to work for him, and he asked those who did not share his vision to leave their jobs, in his latest shock treatment of the social media company.

Mr. Musk made the announcement in an early-morning email to employees on Wednesday; The New York Times obtained the message, which had the subject line “A Fork in the Road.” In the note, Mr. Musk, 51, reiterated that Twitter faced a difficult road ahead and offered employees three months of severance if they did not want to continue working there “to build a breakthrough Twitter 2.0.”...

...In his note to Twitter employees on Wednesday, Mr. Musk said they would need to work hard — very hard. “In an increasingly competitive world, we will need to be extremely hard core,” he wrote. “This will mean working long hours at high intensity. Only exceptional performance will constitute a passing grade.”

Engineering will be the primary focus, Mr. Musk added, with design and product management taking a back seat. He included a link to an online form asking employees to confirm their interest in working at Twitter...

Things sure have changed compared to how it was just a couple of months ago. Did these employees expect this fairy tale to continue from a company losing $4M a month?

https://youtu.be/qkQbHyLE6Tc

This means more programmers and fewer functionals, and PM's.  Not necessarily a bad thing, assuming someone is providing details and leading the overall direction.  I'm assuming that will be Mr. Musk.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(11-16-2022, 08:36 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(11-16-2022, 04:46 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Elon Musk Gives Twitter Employees a Deadline to Stay or Leave (msn.com)

Elon Musk gave Twitter employees a deadline of 5 p.m. Eastern time on Thursday to decide if they wanted to work for him, and he asked those who did not share his vision to leave their jobs, in his latest shock treatment of the social media company.

Mr. Musk made the announcement in an early-morning email to employees on Wednesday; The New York Times obtained the message, which had the subject line “A Fork in the Road.” In the note, Mr. Musk, 51, reiterated that Twitter faced a difficult road ahead and offered employees three months of severance if they did not want to continue working there “to build a breakthrough Twitter 2.0.”...

...In his note to Twitter employees on Wednesday, Mr. Musk said they would need to work hard — very hard. “In an increasingly competitive world, we will need to be extremely hard core,” he wrote. “This will mean working long hours at high intensity. Only exceptional performance will constitute a passing grade.”

Engineering will be the primary focus, Mr. Musk added, with design and product management taking a back seat. He included a link to an online form asking employees to confirm their interest in working at Twitter...

Things sure have changed compared to how it was just a couple of months ago. Did these employees expect this fairy tale to continue from a company losing $4M a month?

https://youtu.be/qkQbHyLE6Tc

This means more programmers and fewer functionals, and PM's.  Not necessarily a bad thing, assuming someone is providing details and leading the overall direction.  I'm assuming that will be Mr. Musk.

It may be his intent to increase the ratio of engineers/programmers to managers, but he can't control who will respond favorably to that ultimatum he just sent out.
If he changes the ratio, it will be with targeted layoffs.

(11-16-2022, 09:04 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(11-16-2022, 08:36 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: This means more programmers and fewer functionals, and PM's.  Not necessarily a bad thing, assuming someone is providing details and leading the overall direction.  I'm assuming that will be Mr. Musk.

It may be his intent to increase the ratio of engineers/programmers to managers, but he can't control who will respond favorably to that ultimatum he just sent out.
It's giving people who want out but want a package the option to leave on their own. It usually helps both parties. He's basically saying leave now and you get a package or don't and you risk not getting a package later.

Companies used to offer retirement packages to get people to leave early in exchange for some period of pay for not working. I haven't seen any in a while though at my company. It keeps layoffs from happening if enough people volunteer to take the package.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Musk is also firing a shot across the bow of malcontents who believe their virtue permits them to publicly attempt to undermine him. Twitter used to be Woke Enforcement Central and some simply can’t accept that and the days of drinking company-paid wine on the roof are over.

Man... could you imagine having that job? I don't get the tech sector. Maybe this is why they are so adamant everyone needs to learn to code.

I was incorrect in my statement of Twitter financial losses of $4M per month. According to Musk, the company was losing $4M per day.

(11-16-2022, 09:04 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(11-16-2022, 08:36 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: This means more programmers and fewer functionals, and PM's.  Not necessarily a bad thing, assuming someone is providing details and leading the overall direction.  I'm assuming that will be Mr. Musk.

Just on a personal note, I'd rather work at a company (which I do) with very few PM's and Functional types. Those are layers that, while needed in the right measure, can sometimes get in the way of or distort the real work.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(11-17-2022, 12:30 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(11-16-2022, 09:04 PM)mikesez Wrote: It may be his intent to increase the ratio of engineers/programmers to managers, but he can't control who will respond favorably to that ultimatum he just sent out.

Just on a personal note, I'd rather work at a company (which I do) with very few PM's and Functional types.  Those are layers that, while needed in the right measure, can sometimes get in the way of or distort the real work.

In my limited experience Disney Parks is an example of a company fully bloated with middlemen,  who are always having endless but meaningless meetings, who rarely change their guidance, while Universal Parks is an example of a company that probably has too few managers compared to the number of decisions they are expected to make.

(This post was last modified: 11-17-2022, 01:49 PM by NewJagsCity. Edited 4 times in total.)

(11-17-2022, 12:54 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(11-17-2022, 12:30 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: Just on a personal note, I'd rather work at a company (which I do) with very few PM's and Functional types.  Those are layers that, while needed in the right measure, can sometimes get in the way of or distort the real work.

In my limited experience Disney Parks is an example of a company fully bloated with middlemen,  who are always having endless but meaningless meetings, who rarely change their guidance, while Universal Parks is an example of a company that probably has too few managers compared to the number of decisions they are expected to make.

Interesting you mention both of them.  I work for an IT Consulting firm based in Orlando, and we have lost IT folks to both Disney and Universal over the years. We've also gained some from them. You are absolutely right on with your assessment, at least in the IT shops for both; Disney is overmanned (overpersoned?) and Universal is under.  In addition, I grew up down the road from Orlando in Winter Haven and worked at the Magic Kingdom in the mid to late 70's part time on various attractions while working my way thru college.  Even in Operations (attractions, shops, restaurants), there was an excess of management levels once you got out of field management (attraction lead supervisors), and moved up to Area management (Adventureland, Tomorrowland, etc).  Not sure how it is today.

(11-17-2022, 11:41 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I was incorrect in my statement of Twitter financial losses of $4M per month. According to Musk, the company was losing $4M per day.

Geez. How was that company even functioning? That's not rhetorical, either.

The knives have been out for Elon Musk since he revealed he was an independent thinker and not the ostensible member of the left as he was believed to be given his outspoken criticism of Trump and being the CEO of Tesla. Now they feel betrayed. 

Of course, the NYTs leads the way in the attempt to paint Musk as evil. 

SpaceX Employees Say They Were Fired for Speaking Up About Elon Musk (msn.com)

(This post was last modified: 11-17-2022, 01:53 PM by NewJagsCity.)

(11-17-2022, 01:51 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: The knives have been out for Elon Musk since he revealed he was an independent thinker and not the ostensible member of the left as he was believed to be given his outspoken criticism of Trump and being the CEO of Tesla. Now they feel betrayed. 

Of course, the NYTs leads the way in the attempt to paint Musk as evil. 

SpaceX Employees Say They Were Fired for Speaking Up About Elon Musk (msn.com)

NYT, lol. "All the News that Fits".

(11-17-2022, 01:33 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote:
(11-17-2022, 11:41 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I was incorrect in my statement of Twitter financial losses of $4M per month. According to Musk, the company was losing $4M per day.

Geez. How was that company even functioning? That's not rhetorical, either.

Well you did hear about their $400 daily breakfasts, right? Like, literally, $400 per breakfast, per person..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Now NBC is getting in on the Elon Musk action. 

Elon Musk’s rapid changes at Twitter could raise legal concerns, experts say (msn.com)

(11-17-2022, 05:35 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Now NBC is getting in on the Elon Musk action. 

Elon Musk’s rapid changes at Twitter could raise legal concerns, experts say (msn.com)

Violating a consent decree is not a small thing.

(11-17-2022, 07:00 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(11-17-2022, 05:35 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Now NBC is getting in on the Elon Musk action. 

Violating a consent decree is not a small thing.

But it’s not worthy of a national story unless there is an agenda. There is an agenda.

The AP is the biggest water carrier for the Democrats. They have to get their hit piece in. 

Fired SpaceX employees accuse company of violating labor law (msn.com)

Oh good grief. They're riding Musk harder than they are Trump. These guys live rent free in the minds of the media for sure. I guess the ROI is worth it to them.