Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Why is Justin Herbert so underrated?

I understand he was praised for his rookie year, as he should have been.. but I feel like I have heard nothing about the man since then and he very quietly had another very impressive season to follow. 

Rookie stats: 4,336 yards, 31 TD 10 INTS
2nd season: 5,014 yards, 38 TD 15 INTS

Even more impressive when you take into account he was sacked 32, and 31 times respectively both seasons (same amount of times sacked as Trevor to tell you what he had to work with as an O line)

69 TDs and almost 10,000 yards in 2 seasons.. one of the craziest starts to a career individual stats wise we have ever seen.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I'm not sure why you think he's underrated. He's widely viewed as one of the young superstar QBs in the league.

(This post was last modified: 04-30-2022, 05:20 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

The only guy I can think of off the top of my head who had such a start to his career was Dan Marino.  Probably there are others.  The normal thing is for a rookie QB to suck or not play at all. 

Herbert was underrated coming out of college because scouts and coaches didn't understand his personality, which is pretty laid-back.

By the way, why do you two guys have the exact same avatar?  One of you guys needs to switch.

I think it’s bc of his personality. He stays out of the spot light.

He hasn't made the playoffs which I dont think is necessarily his fault.

(04-30-2022, 06:41 AM)Jag88 Wrote: He hasn't made the playoffs which I dont think is necessarily his fault.

This is what I was going to say. He's got great stats, but he's also in the hardest division in football and hasn't made the playoffs. I could easily see him having a great statistical career while being denigrated for not being as good as Mahomes.

(04-30-2022, 04:39 AM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: I'm not sure why you think he's underrated. He's widely viewed as one of the young superstar QBs in the league.

this ^

(04-30-2022, 04:39 AM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: I'm not sure why you think he's underrated. He's widely viewed as one of the young superstar QBs in the league.

Yeah, when talked about the top QBs in the league his name is always brought up

Herbert also accomplished those numbers in year two with a completely different head coach and offensive coordinator. Which usually stunts a young QB's growth. He's not underrated though. Around the NFL the kid is highly regarded. They were on the cusp of making the play-offs last year. They just fell short in a few games like that final game of the year against the Raiders. They lost to Kansas City in overtime as well back in week 15.

It's really just Herbert's personality and demeanor. He's not the rah-rah, in your face type of QB. He's actually very laidback and in the few interviews I have seen him in he's actually pretty funny and tends to get a good laugh or two. Herbert is basically what everybody on here was hoping Blake Bortles would have been in Jacksonville. The big, quiet laidback cat with a funny attitude that leads by example on the football field at a high level.

He proved me wrong. That's for sure. I wasn't his biggest fan when he came out of Oregon. The last three games of his with the Ducks really made me question him overall as a top prospect. His accuracy was off. He wasn't really throwing a lot of TD's and he threw what could have been a costly interception against Wisconsin in his final game. He's probably going to eventually be the next QB in Los Angeles to win them another Superbowl though.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 05-01-2022, 07:42 AM by ChrisJagBoy. Edited 1 time in total.)

I'm not saying he's completely overlooked, i'm just saying everytime I got NFLN on or any sports show I hear Mahomes name (rightfully so) Josh Allen/Burrow etc mentioned so much more often and outside of Mahomes, Herbert has statistically speaking been far and beyond the best QB through 2 seasons.

Put it this way, I had no clue how insane his stats were this past season until just recently.. when Mahomes had his 50 td season I was reminded of it any time I had the TV on.

Allen, Mahomes and Burrow were in the playoffs this year and more specifically were in some memorable playoff games with great performances. Herbert isn’t being forgotten or disrespected, but those numbers of his need to translate into playoffs next year. Hopefully not at our expense.

(04-30-2022, 04:34 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: I understand he was praised for his rookie year, as he should have been.. but I feel like I have heard nothing about the man since then and he very quietly had another very impressive season to follow. 

Rookie stats: 4,336 yards, 31 TD 10 INTS
2nd season: 5,014 yards, 38 TD 15 INTS

Even more impressive when you take into account he was sacked 32, and 31 times respectively both seasons (same amount of times sacked as Trevor to tell you what he had to work with as an O line)

69 TDs and almost 10,000 yards in 2 seasons.. one of the craziest starts to a career individual stats wise we have ever seen.

I think SD/LA2's lack of postseason success has hurt their overall position in a lot of media minds. Until they win consistently, it will just be a team that puts up regular season stats and doesn't elevate to the next level.

I agree that he is a great young talent, and that they have a bright future with him. But when it comes to media coverage, it's always going to focus on A. A. Ron, Brady, Mahomes, and everyone else is gonna play second fiddle until they take the throne for themselves.

Did you just copy his avatar?  I thought he was talking to himself.

He's not underrated.  He choked to David Carr in a win and in game.  He's a potential bust as he'll never live that down.

(05-02-2022, 01:16 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:

Did you just copy his avatar?  I thought he was talking to himself.

He's not underrated.  He choked to David Carr in a win and in game.  He's a potential bust as he'll never live that down.

It's not "my avatar" it was the picture going around when people were calling Shad a clown, thought it was funny and threw it on there.

Personally, I am sick of Mahomes. I know he's a good guy, does things the right way, etc, etc, but the media worship just gets ridiculous at times. I wouldn't mind seeing a huge drop off by him and the Chiefs this year. Hoping to see the Raiders or the Chargers take that division.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(05-03-2022, 08:40 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: Personally, I am sick of Mahomes. I know he's a good guy, does things the right way, etc, etc, but the media worship just gets ridiculous at times.  I wouldn't mind seeing a huge drop off by him and the Chiefs this year.  Hoping to see the Raiders or the Chargers take that division.

you think this is bad, just imagine if they would have beaten the Bucs in the super bowl and didn't subsequently choke in the 2nd half of the Bengals game.  They literally could have been in the last 3 SBs if they simply could have recognized that the Bengals D was only rushing 3 players and dropping the other back into coverage during the 2nd half.

They will drop off without Tyreek.  Once you pay your QB big $$$, it ultimately catches up to your by watching other big time players leave.  It happened to Russel Wilson in the past few years.

The team you play for matters in the popularity contest. Gotta have fans.

(05-03-2022, 08:40 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: Personally, I am sick of Mahomes. I know he's a good guy, does things the right way, etc, etc, but the media worship just gets ridiculous at times.  I wouldn't mind seeing a huge drop off by him and the Chiefs this year.  Hoping to see the Raiders or the Chargers take that division.

I never understand Mahomes hate. Like it made sense for Brady in his early years, he was on really good teams with stout defenses and you can say what you want, but he wasn't half the QB Mahomes was in his early days. Dude is the Lebron James of the NFL rn, he's freakishly talented.

(05-05-2022, 03:39 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:

I never understand Mahomes hate. Like it made sense for Brady in his early years, he was on really good teams with stout defenses and you can say what you want, but he wasn't half the QB Mahomes was in his early days. Dude is the Lebron James of the NFL rn, he's freakishly talented.

I agree, I absolutely love him, and Burrows. I did get OP comment that Herbert does get a lot less love, but think it’s down to what previous posters have mentioned around
playoff wins and exposure within the teams.

(05-05-2022, 03:39 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:

Brady also didn't have a HOF TE and a HOF WR like Mahomes.  Brady was very clutch and one of the worst WR corps in the league.  Didn't really have a RB either until they got Corey Dillon amd then the offense went to a different level.  I like what we are doing and trying to build an elite defense with a good QB like NE had in Bradys early years and when the won 3 SBs in 4 years