Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Luke Fortner Center Pick 65 Kentucky

(This post was last modified: 04-30-2022, 06:03 AM by JagFanatic24. Edited 1 time in total.)

From Kentucky. Good pick?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 04-30-2022, 06:11 AM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

Fills an immediate need. Was the 2nd highest rated overall blocker at this position last year in the SEC. Super smart kid. High football IQ. A lot of experience. I think the draft should be about improving your roster and finding starters. So far they have done that with their first four picks in this draft.

Played against some fast and tough front sevens throughout his career in the SEC.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

He’s an instant starter. I also read where he can play guard in a pinch.

Yep. They already have Shatley as well. So, it's just a matter of him staggering left or right depending on the injury when/if it happens this year. Hopefully it doesn't happen. But, I am a big fan of hoping for the best but planning for the worst.

I still think they need to make a decision here soon and consider trading up to snatch Darian Kinnard out of Kentucky or Jamaree Salyer out of Georgia. I really like these two guys for their ability to play G and T. Big, mean and bruising overall players. Should be able to push Taylor at RT or also compete for a starting job at LG or fill in if somebody goes down.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

If we can find 1 more starter on offense then I think we will be good. I agree, we have plenty of picks to jump back into the 4th round if needed. We have 3 sixth round picks alone.

(04-30-2022, 06:39 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Yep. They already have Shatley as well. So, it's just a matter of him staggering left or right depending on the injury when/if it happens this year. Hopefully it doesn't happen. But, I am a big fan of hoping for the best but planning for the worst.

I still think they need to make a decision here soon and consider trading up to snatch Darian Kinnard out of Kentucky or Jamaree Salyer out of Georgia. I really like these two guys for their ability to play G and T. Big, mean and bruising overall players. Should be able to push Taylor at RT or also compete for a starting job at LG or fill in if somebody goes down.

I'd really like to have Salyer.  If we're going to get another impact player, though, we've got to trade up into the 4th.  Otherwise, we're just filling up special teams with the rest of those picks.
[Image: giphy.gif]

(04-30-2022, 07:12 AM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(04-30-2022, 06:39 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Yep. They already have Shatley as well. So, it's just a matter of him staggering left or right depending on the injury when/if it happens this year. Hopefully it doesn't happen. But, I am a big fan of hoping for the best but planning for the worst.

I'd really like to have Salyer.  If we're going to get another impact player, though, we've got to trade up into the 4th.  Otherwise, we're just filling up special teams with the rest of those picks.

I agree. I’m low key hoping we trade back in the 4th.

How many OL do we want to have when only 5 can start? Rn the relevant ones are:
1. Cam
2. Scherff
3. Little
4. Bartch
5. Fortner
6. Shatley
7. Richardson
8. Taylor

So any OL we take will be 8th/9th on relevant depth chart. Not saying don’t do it, and maybe I am more comfortable with Richardson than most, but maybe resources are better applied elsewhere?

(04-30-2022, 07:39 AM)JNev Wrote: How many OL do we want to have when only 5 can start? Rn the relevant ones are:
1. Cam
2. Scherff
3. Little
4. Bartch
5. Fortner
6. Shatley
7. Richardson
8. Taylor

So any OL we take will be 8th/9th on relevant depth chart. Not saying don’t do it, and maybe I am more comfortable with Richardson than most, but maybe resources are better applied elsewhere?

Taylor is just a waste, though.  I really like the person.  But he's a turnstile and a penalty waiting to happen.
[Image: giphy.gif]

(04-30-2022, 07:39 AM)JNev Wrote: How many OL do we want to have when only 5 can start? Rn the relevant ones are:
1. Cam
2. Scherff
3. Little
4. Bartch
5. Fortner
6. Shatley
7. Richardson
8. Taylor

Trust the general consensus, your team's history with the current starters and the value overall on the big board. 

Scherff was a nice addition, however, he has a history of injures. Robinson being extended gave us some breathing room, again, however, he also has a history of getting injured. Walker Little is still untested and unproven. Again, he too, fell into a 2nd RD status last year for our selection because of his injuries. 

Bartch is still improving. Richardson is a swing man at best. Shatley is solid as a back-up, potentially as a starter, however, they obviously felt a little unrest there to invest the 65th overall selection on Fortner. 

At this time? There's Salyer, Kinnard & Faalele rounding out most analysts top ten remaining players and they just so happen to be positions we could use some help at. Taylor has woefully regressed since his selection a few years ago. He's a major liability and he tends to come up with the most mind numbing penalties against this offense when they actually started to click on certain drives. 

Scherff is also up there in the age. He's not going to be here probably for no more than two years. Have to think long term with maintaining and developing continuity with that group. Where else are you thinking they should apply their resources? WR? TE? RB?

Because, right now? They have already invested adequate resources at those first two positions listed above. Between Kirk, Jones and Engram, and, the trading for Dan Arnold last year? They already invested in that area. They're also getting back Etienne at RB and hoping Robinson recovers quickly. They already also went heavy on defense in this draft. It really only leaves the offensive line IMHO that needs more touch up's.

I guess also how much better would these guys left be than Bartch/Richardson/Shatley or are we just drafting similar players for depth?

1. Cam
2. Scherff
3. Little
4. Bartch
5. Fortner
6. Shatley
7. Richardson
8. Taylor

As many as possible.

2017 and 2018 is instructive on this point.

In 2017, we were healthy along the OL pretty much all season, and we made it to the AFC Championship.  The Eagles, coached by Pederson, was down to their 3rd LT, but wound up winning the Super Bowl.

The next year (2018), the Jaguars lost LT Cam Robinson for the year with a torn ACL against New England (otherwise a sweet game for us).  More and more injuries hit us along the OL and the offense went down the toilet for the rest of the season.]]we ned quality depth along the OL.  In fact, I would like for the team to find another G and T for the rest of this draft.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(04-30-2022, 07:47 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
1. Cam
2. Scherff
3. Little
4. Bartch
5. Fortner
6. Shatley
7. Richardson
8. Taylor

Trust the general consensus, your team's history with the current starters and the value overall on the big board. 

Scherff was a nice addition, however, he has a history of injures. Robinson being extended gave us some breathing room, again, however, he also has a history of getting injured. Walker Little is still untested and unproven. Again, he too, fell into a 2nd RD status last year for our selection because of his injuries. 

Bartch is still improving. Richardson is a swing man at best. Shatley is solid as a back-up, potentially as a starter, however, they obviously felt a little unrest there to invest the 65th overall selection on Fortner. 

At this time? There's Salyer, Kinnard & Faalele rounding out most analysts top ten remaining players and they just so happen to be positions we could use some help at. Taylor has woefully regressed since his selection a few years ago. He's a major liability and he tends to come up with the most mind numbing penalties against this offense when they actually started to click on certain drives. 

Scherff is also up there in the age. He's not going to be here probably for no more than two years. Have to think long term with maintaining and developing continuity with that group. Where else are you thinking they should apply their resources? WR? TE? RB?

Because, right now? They have already invested adequate resources at those first two positions listed above. Between Kirk, Jones and Engram, and, the trading for Dan Arnold last year? They already invested in that area. They're also getting back Etienne at RB and hoping Robinson recovers quickly. They already also went heavy on defense in this draft. It really only leaves the offensive line IMHO that needs more touch up's.
I like your call on Salyer. He would be worth trading up for and he can become a very good guard. His experience at left tackle enables him to fill in at either tackle position if injuries occur to the starters. The other players I'd consider moving up for are tight ends Kolar and Likely. Both can be reliable receivers for Lawrence and Engram is on a 1 year deal with a history of drops and injuries. I liked that signing, but he's far from a sure thing.

It's going to be a good test case if intelligence and experience can overcome lack of athleticism, cause the guy moves like a sloth.

(This post was last modified: 04-30-2022, 11:38 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

353 out of 1300 Ras. Not a great athlete but not a bad one either

https://twitter.com/MathBomb/status/1519...B6EcG0WdEA

(This post was last modified: 04-30-2022, 11:55 AM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

This team historically has had some luck when it comes to the Center position. Between Meester and Linder at least. Fortner should be a guy that you put in day one and don't have to worry about for many years to come. Not worried about his "lack of athleticism". He's supposed to read defenses, get his guys lined up and anchor the center down.

I think he'll be more than fine at that. He was solid last year in pass blocking, he gave up 2 sacks in over 400 passing snaps and run blocking in the SEC he finished 5th overall and he finished as a First team all SEC selection. He's obviously been doing something right.

I'm not going to pencil him in as day 1 starter. He has to beat out Shatley and he has been decent for us

(04-30-2022, 11:38 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: 353 out of 1300 Ras. Not a great athlete but not a bad one either

You know short shuttle is what matters for IOL.

(04-30-2022, 12:53 PM)Upper Wrote:
(04-30-2022, 11:38 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: 353 out of 1300 Ras.  Not a great athlete but not a bad one either

You know short shuttle is what matters for IOL.

Bench relatively important too

(This post was last modified: 04-30-2022, 12:59 PM by Firesky. Edited 1 time in total.)

1. Cam
2. Scherff
3. Little
4. Bartch
5. Fortner
6. Shatley
7. Richardson
8. Taylor

You can never have enough depth!! Remember 2008? We lost Meester late in training camp, and week 1 Vince Manuwai and Maurice Williams go down. We lost the entire interior of our Offensive Line in less time than a Thanos snap. Had we suffered another injury that day we would have been playing a DT at Guard.

In 2018 we lost Cam Robinson by week 3, Linder had several nagging injuries and we went through 4 Left Tackles and signed a castoff from the street to start that week in London. 

With Lawrence’s health at stake I don’t think there’s a such thing as being too deep at Oline. We don’t need to reach at our picks but we definitely need to carry some bodies just in case bc injuries happen when guys that size move like they do
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!