Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Chad Muma LB Wyoming Pick 70

(09-23-2022, 02:00 PM)Jags@dajugular Wrote:
(09-23-2022, 01:41 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: I had mixed emotions when this draft pick was made.  I thought he was good value, but I questioned how much he would play.  This remains my concern.  I'm glad he's playing well on special teams, but you don't draft an early 3rd rounder for special teams unless your name is Gene Smith.  He's played less than 7% of the defensive snaps.  You need to be on the field to help the team win.  The USA Today article says it is a matter of time, but how much time?  Are they really going to bench a first rounder or a free agent that they just signed to a 3 year, 45 million dollar deal?  Barring injury, I don't see his playing time changing significantly until at least 2024 when we won't take a huge cap hit for cutting Oluokun.

Ask San Fransisco about that if Garrapolo wasn't still there they would have been really screwed. If any of our starting Lb are injured we wount be having a sinkhole deep drop off in talent at the position.

Yeah, I'll take as many starting level replacements as I can get.  Right now, I think we have 2 - Muma and Little, and a little too much complaining that we kept good players instead of trading them.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(09-23-2022, 02:15 PM)scottyg Wrote:
(09-23-2022, 02:00 PM)Jags@dajugular Wrote: Ask San Fransisco about that if Garrapolo wasn't still there they would have been really screwed. If any of our starting Lb are injured we wount be having a sinkhole deep drop off in talent at the position.

Yeah, I'll take as many starting level replacements as I can get.  Right now, I think we have 2 - Muma and Little, and a little too much complaining that we kept good players instead of trading them.

No one is saying cut or trade Muma.

The question is whether it is better to draft a starting level player who starts every game or a starting level player that wiil sit the bench waiting for an injury that may or may not occur before getting to start a game.

We need depth at line backer. I think next draft the jags look for o-line, wr, dline. We hopefully wont need line backer. We are stacked. I love all of the ones on the team.

I think that he ends up being part of the core of the defense in the future.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

This roster can still use BAP at just about every position outside of LB, QB, and RB (and that’s if they resign James).

We got decent to good starters in most spots with suspect depth. The next step will be good to great starters with decent depth. It takes time.

That said we need to find a way to get Muma on the field. He’sa play maker. Good problem to have.

Yeah, there's no tragedy in a third round pick being able to spend a year or more in development on special teams and a few defensive packages.

We lament the lack of depth often, so at least we have some at ILB.

I do think that he'll find his way into a package or two on defense in certain weeks depending on opponent and matchups.

How Darious Williams plays vs Tight Ends in the slot may actually affect this situation since Caldwell openly considered using Muma as the "money-backer" during the offseason.

Depending on the formation you are facing, that could mean that safety/LB hybrid would be lined up as the "big nickel."
If for some reason Williams falters at nickel vs an opponent utilizing the TE at Y -- I wonder if we see that package with a $LB emerge?

Just spitballing here of course.

(This post was last modified: 09-24-2022, 12:00 PM by mikesez. Edited 1 time in total.)

They could have drafted oline instead of Muma. 4 olinemen were picked in the next 32 picks (by my count). Abraham Lucas has played every snap for Seattle. He has not allowed a sack but has 3 penalties in 2 games. The other 3 haven't seen the field yet.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(09-23-2022, 08:14 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Yeah, he's great on Teams right now and will probably be pushing Oluokun out of the starting lineup by next season. He's a really good player.

I doubt this very much but it's always a good situation to have.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(09-24-2022, 11:59 AM)mikesez Wrote: They could have drafted oline instead of Muma.  4 olinemen were picked in the next 32 picks (by my count).  Abraham Lucas has played every snap for Seattle.  He has not allowed a sack but has 3 penalties in 2 games.  The other 3 haven't seen the field yet.

They probably had Muma as there highest rated player available.  You have to go BPA there.

(09-24-2022, 12:11 PM)NH3 Wrote:
(09-23-2022, 08:14 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Yeah, he's great on Teams right now and will probably be pushing Oluokun out of the starting lineup by next season. He's a really good player.

I doubt this very much but it's always a good situation to have.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...

Time has told. It's a young man's game.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(09-24-2022, 11:59 AM)mikesez Wrote: They could have drafted oline instead of Muma. 4 olinemen were picked in the next 32 picks (by my count). Abraham Lucas has played every snap for Seattle. He has not allowed a sack but has 3 penalties in 2 games. The other 3 haven't seen the field yet.

I doubt any of those players are better than Muma in the long run.

I suspect Olukan will be traded after his second year here. Muma will make him replaceable and the cap money will probably go to Trevor.

(09-24-2022, 04:25 PM)NoShoes Wrote:
(09-24-2022, 11:59 AM)mikesez Wrote: They could have drafted oline instead of Muma.  4 olinemen were picked in the next 32 picks (by my count).  Abraham Lucas has played every snap for Seattle.  He has not allowed a sack but has 3 penalties in 2 games.  The other 3 haven't seen the field yet.

I doubt any of those players are better than Muma in the long run.

I suspect Olukan will be traded after his second year here. Muma will make him replaceable and the cap money will probably go to Trevor.

It seems the Jags made the right choice, but, it's way too early to tell.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(09-24-2022, 12:42 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(09-24-2022, 12:11 PM)NH3 Wrote: I doubt this very much but it's always a good situation to have.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...

Time has told. It's a young man's game.

Most sports are "a young man's game", so are we insuating that Olukan will be replaced by Muma simply because Muma is 3 or 4 years younger?  If Olukon continues to play good ball and retain his starting position, do we still trade Olukon/release him due to his age? It doesn't makes sense.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(09-24-2022, 05:32 PM)NH3 Wrote:
(09-24-2022, 12:42 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Time has told. It's a young man's game.

Most sports are "a young man's game", so are we insuating that Olukan will be replaced by Muma simply because Muma is 3 or 4 years younger?  If Olukon continues to play good ball and retain his starting position, do we still trade Olukon/release him due to his age? It doesn't makes sense.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...

Yes, he's a 15 million dollar cap savings if cut before 2024. If Muma is playing as well in his 3rd year then he's pushing Foye off the roster. This isn't really controversial, Jags fans just have no experience with it since their bench players have been putrid for a decade.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(09-24-2022, 06:14 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(09-24-2022, 05:32 PM)NH3 Wrote: Most sports are "a young man's game", so are we insuating that Olukan will be replaced by Muma simply because Muma is 3 or 4 years younger?  If Olukon continues to play good ball and retain his starting position, do we still trade Olukon/release him due to his age? It doesn't makes sense.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...

Yes, he's a 15 million dollar cap savings if cut before 2024. If Muma is playing as well in his 3rd year then he's pushing Foye off the roster. This isn't really controversial, Jags fans just have no experience with it since their bench players have been putrid for a decade.

Agreed, I look forward to more players pushing the starters.  That is the way it is on good teams.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(09-24-2022, 06:14 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(09-24-2022, 05:32 PM)NH3 Wrote: Most sports are "a young man's game", so are we insuating that Olukan will be replaced by Muma simply because Muma is 3 or 4 years younger?  If Olukon continues to play good ball and retain his starting position, do we still trade Olukon/release him due to his age? It doesn't makes sense.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...

Yup. If all goes as hoped, Muma is pushing Foye for the starting spot next season and officially takes over in 2024. As you said, Foye has an out after next year. He has a $19m cap hit in 2024 and letting him go before the season will only cost us $4m of dead cap. No way they pay a guy $19m to sit on the bench. He'll either still be starting, or he'll be gone.

Muma is the second best middle linebacker on the Jags. He just needs to get stronger and better in his reads.

Arguably the best LB in coverage.

Great pickup by the Jags.
Black Jaguar: Yeah, it's a thing.

It was always the Jags!!!!

It will be interesting to see how the drafting of Ventrell Miller effects Muma's positioning for the team.

Healthy competition

(05-07-2023, 04:43 PM)ATLjag Wrote: It will be interesting to see how the drafting of Ventrell Miller effects Muma's positioning for the team.

I really think the question goes back to what the plans are with Lloyd. They traded up to get him last year. They played him out of position to begin with in my opinion. I think he'll potentially be seen over at strongside or weakside backer this summer to serve as a pass rusher more often than not. 

If they run a 3 - 4 you would still expect to see Oluokon and Muma in the middle with Miller spelling either one of these guys at some point. Keep this in mind as well though. Miller is recovering from a foot injury. He may not even be completely ready to go until much later on this year. I see him as a replacement selection going into 2024/2025 more than anything. 

A lot of this draft class and next year's draft class is all about the future and preparing for Lawrence's contract extension. We had to start raising the floor of our talent level on the depth chart because the current starters won't be here for much longer.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."