Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Travon Walker Round 1, Pick 1 (merged)

(This post was last modified: 04-30-2022, 05:40 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

(04-28-2022, 10:13 PM)tomfin2022 Wrote: I’m not a fan of any prospect that races up draft boards based on their performance at the NFL Combine.  That rarely works out.  Having said that, it was a foregone conclusion that the Jags would draft him first overall.  Baalke loves to chase upside.  I’m not going to take it out on Walker, though.  Let’s see what he can do.

Yeah, like someone else said, players don't really "race up draft boards."  Sportswriters and draftniks set their draft boards and then move the players up or down when they start finding out what the teams actually think.  They don't want to admit they do that, because it will make them look bad, so they claim the player is "moving up" or "moving down." 

Every GM says that they do not base their evaluation on combine results.  They base their evaluation on game film.  Sometimes, like in the case of Walker, the Combine reveals incredible physical talent, so they go back to the film and take another look.  How was he actually used?  What scheme were they playing?  What was his responsibility?  Why, with all that physical ability, did he have so few sacks, for example.  And, from what I understand, Georgia had him 2-gapping.  Georgia had so much confidence in that incredible defense that all they had to do was keep everything in front of them and the opposing offense had all kinds of trouble moving the ball.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

He does look like a man among boys in most of this clip. 

https://youtu.be/5_raRAOMDrk
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

This thread should go here - https://www.duvalpride.com/showthread.php?tid=36705

https://youtu.be/xRFgVj2WIjM
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

They called him the freak!

(05-01-2022, 01:39 AM)jaguarmvp Wrote: He does look like a man among boys in most of this clip. 

https://youtu.be/5_raRAOMDrk

It definitely shows that he has freakish athletic ability.  Everyone knows he can run a 4.51 at 270 lbs, but that film shows that he is also very strong and uses really great leverage, with the strength to shove offensive linemen into the backfield.  

Also, I agree with Chris Simms, he does not have a low floor.  He has a very high floor.  He's already a good player.

Guys, do you realize that the Jags are going to be a legit team when they step on the field this year? They will be even money in two thirds of the games and be competitive in all the others. I am so hyped right now for the season.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

(05-01-2022, 01:45 AM)Eric1 Wrote: This thread should go here - https://www.duvalpride.com/showthread.php?tid=36705

Mmm last time i suggested that i got shot down xD

(05-01-2022, 07:54 AM)I am Yoda Wrote: Guys, do you realize that the Jags are going to be a legit team when they step on the field this year?  They will be even money in two thirds of the games and be competitive in all the others.  I am so hyped right now for the season.

Right on. So, one thing I'm a little worried about is the schedule. It looks like it could be a challenge. I'm talking about the teams the jags play because obviously we dont know the exact schedule yet.

I think JPP is a good comparison.

Anyone else hear that Travon will only be playing 1 position with the Jags and that position will be OLB. I heard that on NFL Access last night. That may be the best move since he really doesn't have any rush moves using leverage.

I was watching some analysis of Walker. Dude is crazy athletic and his situation at UGA wasn't really conducive to piling up stats. But he seemed to be a constant disruptive force. It's a risky pick but the reward may be a more athletic Calais Campbell. That would be cool.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Could be Vernon Gholston 2.0 too
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

Courtney Brown

(05-01-2022, 07:54 AM)I am Yoda Wrote: Guys, do you realize that the Jags are going to be a legit team when they step on the field this year?  They will be even money in two thirds of the games and be competitive in all the others.  I am so hyped right now for the season.

I actually have really high hopes for the defense as it stands. I think the addition of Devin Lloyd really put it over the top as I already thought Walker and the FA additions along with guys like Campbell and hopefully Allen taking a step this year would give us at the least a middling unit. But I feel like Devin Lloyd is going to immediately be an impactful player and leader much like the Devin in Tampa. 

Not to beat a dead horse here, but once again I feel it shall fall on the shoulders of Trevor Lawrence to make or break this team this season. And contrary to popular belief I am rooting for the guy big time. I want us to shock the world and get into the playoffs come january. 

It's that time of the year, time to hype ourselves up and hope to god week 1 delivers.

Khalil Mack

Every day I'm becoming more convinced we made the correct first pick. He passes the eye test as a relentless defender with high level physical and athletic abilities. Combine that with the stat numbers ChrisJagBoy posted and Walker seems like the real thing.

That contract seems very high.

(05-03-2022, 05:29 PM)Brindle91 Wrote: That contract seems very high.

very high? It's up $500K from the #1 pick last year. The RD1 contracts are fixed rates based on draft position, with no other consideration of positional value, cap room, or whether the player has a cutthroat agent or not.

Other than the slight increase (1.4%), the structure and terms are pretty much identical to last years R1P1 contract.