Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
PSA If your thinking about buying a pool this summer....

DONT DO IT!!!!!!

Every night after work I have to spend 30-45 min in this damn thing. Bought the kids a 30ft round above ground last summer but damn these things are work. 

Not to mention you have to get a freaking minor degree in chemistry to keep the thing from turning into muck. Miss two days in a row kiss the next week good bye 

Well hopefully someone is saved the misery of adding pool duty to your chore list.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Had an inground pool when I bought my home 10 years ago. Never took care of it. Finally drained it and put a deck over it 2 years ago. No regrets at all.

Gets me out of the house more with my wife and toddler and more walking at the beach or hannah park.

It is a lot of work to maintain it. Its another chore and labor of love for most people. Between the chlorine and shock and pump running its true, you have to know your [BLEEP] on a chemical level.

My dad loves that [BLEEP] but he's been in maintenance his whole life and takes care of pools, properties, compactors, paint, AC's... all of that for apartment complexes.

No thanks!

Best of luck this summer dude! I do not envy you!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

I agree.. We're going the hot tub route.

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

My dad thought he'd love having a pool until he bought a house that had one. It was a decent sized in-ground pool with a slide. He kvetched every weekend when he had to mow the lawn and clean the pool instead of going to the beach.

He sold it after a year and moved into an apartment so he wouldn't have to maintain anything.

It's even worse in the country I'm surrounded by pine trees and 800 acres of wildlife preserve. You know how much pollen comes from 800 acres of wildlife preserve!? I do it's in my pool every morning!

(05-10-2022, 08:53 PM)EricC85 Wrote: DONT DO IT!!!!!!

Every night after work I have to spend 30-45 min in this damn thing. Bought the kids a 30ft round above ground last summer but damn these things are work. 

Not to mention you have to get a freaking minor degree in chemistry to keep the thing from turning into muck. Miss two days in a row kiss the next week good bye 

Well hopefully someone is saved the misery of adding pool duty to your chore list.

I remember those days, during my HS years we had one, I spent more time vacuuming leaves and testing pH levels than I ever did swimming.

I guess my protip would be if you are getting a pool, have it installed far from the giant oak.

It's not worth 65k.

Leaves of all sorts in the Winter, oak pollen in the spring and pine needles in the summer/fall. I've found that the oak pollen is the worst by far.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

I’d rather pee in someone else’s pool.

(This post was last modified: 05-11-2022, 11:09 AM by RicoTx.)

Pools are great until you have one.  They're a pain in the [BLEEP] to maintain.  The only way they're worth it is if you can afford to pay somebody to take care of them.  My last two houses, one of the qualifications is that they NOT have a pool.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(05-11-2022, 10:26 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: It's not worth 65k.

Yikes 65k I went all out and spent 6k last year but that's the above ground pool

(05-11-2022, 11:09 AM)RicoTx Wrote: Pools are great until you have one.  They're a pain in the [BLEEP] to maintain.  The only way they're worth it is if you can afford to pay somebody to take care of them.  My last two houses, one of the qualifications is that they NOT have a pool.

A guy I golf with went through this with his wife who wanted to keep their pool. He told her to pay for the maintenance to keep it up or he was filling it in.

(This post was last modified: 05-11-2022, 11:24 AM by EricC85. Edited 1 time in total.)

(05-11-2022, 11:09 AM)RicoTx Wrote: Pools are great until you have one.  They're a pain in the [BLEEP] to maintain.  The only way they're worth it is if you can afford to pay somebody to take care of them.  My last two houses, one of the qualifications is that they NOT have a pool.

Yea we're to far out for anyone to come do it. Id pay a king's ransom for someone to take this off my list of stuff to do!

(05-11-2022, 11:19 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:

A guy I golf with went through this with his wife who wanted to keep their pool. He told her to pay for the maintenance to keep it up or he was filling it in.

I always wondered why you see those videos of people taking a chainsaw or running an ATV into the above ground pool, I get it now, I really do

(05-11-2022, 11:17 AM)EricC85 Wrote:

Yikes 65k I went all out and spent 6k last year but that's the above ground pool

I feel you. When I was young my parents had an above ground pool and built a deck around it. Cost them about 4k back then all in.

For an inground pool though - beyond belief expensive. And it only adds 20k to your house. It's a negative investment.

I don't know who you're going through to get a pool at 65K but you got ripped off big time if you paid 65K.

(This post was last modified: 05-11-2022, 01:25 PM by TrivialPursuit. Edited 1 time in total.)

(05-11-2022, 01:03 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
I don't know who you're going through to get a pool at 65K but you got ripped off big time if you paid 65K.

It's my friends that looked into it all, with multiple different contractors; they have a sharp grade in their backyard.

Straight up 65k for everything, labor materials and everything.

Prices have skyrocketed from even 2 years ago.

(05-11-2022, 01:24 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(05-11-2022, 01:03 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I don't know who you're going through to get a pool at 65K but you got ripped off big time if you paid 65K.

It's my friends that looked into it all, with multiple different contractors; they have a sharp grade in their backyard.

I believe it my in-laws built and in ground pool 10 years ago in palm coast and it was 30k so yea double that today seems about right

(This post was last modified: 05-11-2022, 03:50 PM by KingIngram052787. Edited 1 time in total.)

(05-11-2022, 01:24 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(05-11-2022, 01:03 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I don't know who you're going through to get a pool at 65K but you got ripped off big time if you paid 65K.

Some companies, once their pipelines are full, are just quoting ridiculous prices even higher than that, much higher, basically knowing you'll say no, but if you agree to that absurd price they just put you to the front of the line and push back cheaper projects.  From all of my friends who have gotten quotes recently, $65k almost sounds like a steal now!

(This post was last modified: 05-11-2022, 06:14 PM by Jags. Edited 2 times in total.)

(05-11-2022, 01:03 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:

Idk, about 4-5 years ago, my wife and I got a bunch of estimates.  All I want Ed was to get in, get wet and cool off.  Plus the weekend family fun.  The only “luxury” I wanted was it to be screened in and it be a salt system. About 10k to do the size for the screen and 1500 for the salt system.   I understood it was a costly upgrade.  The cheapest estimate we had was 55k the rest up to 65k.  We opted to put a bad [BLEEP] patio in for a fraction of the cost.  Had a few clients tell me about their installs.  Between people not wanting to work, supply shortages and such instead of 3-4 months taking upwards to a year and the prices I’ve been hearing are close to 100k.

What happened to those 30k pools they had in the mint magazine??? I’d jump on that nowadays

Absolutely love our pool. Salt system upgrade a few years ago and maintenance is minimal, chemicals are minimal. Throw the robot in and two hours later it's clean. Use it almost daily in season. Not heated but thinking about it.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.