Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2022 Receiving Corps

(05-21-2022, 08:01 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(05-18-2022, 07:55 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Lots to talk about.

Many folks are disappointed more wasn't to improve this group. I thought we'd see a draft pick prior to the 5th added to the mix and that didn't happen. 

Nonetheless, we have some talent and Pederson has a track record of getting production from some fairly pedestrian receivers. 

Here's some interesting data to ponder. Big play percentage. 

Kirk - 16.3%
Agnew - 15.2%
Treadwell - 11.8% 
Zay Jones - 11.1%
Marvin Jones - 10.8%
Shenault - 6.3% 

Treadwell, Agnew and Kirk are all above the median while  Zay Jones is right about average on this chart.

https://twitter.com/Marcus_Mosher/status...osNbBQTNoA
If only Treadwell caught that deep pass against the Colts in the season ending game.

Trevor Lawrence could have had a monster game.  His drop of the deep pass down the left sideline was Trevor's first incompletion of the game after 15 straight completions.  That would have added another 40+ yards to the total.  That play and LaViska's drop of a TD-which would have been Trevor's 3rd TD of the game-would have been huge...and we would have given the Colts the crushing blowout loss they deserved.

Sigh.
This is what I find exciting about this season coming up. Conceptually with proper NFL coaching and execution I believe you're going to see Pederson doing his best of "put your aces in their places" and you'll see proper scheming and formations.

I am getting excited man. I think this offense is going to be exciting and a different player will show up each week that makes it that much more exciting. I think a realistic "look" or "feel" to this offense should mirror something like the 2016/2017 Eagles offensively.

I think Etienne and Engram are going to be the silent killers all year on offense in the passing game. When it's 3rd and short they'll be the guys coming up more often than not over the middle or in the flats.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-21-2022, 09:16 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(05-21-2022, 08:01 AM)Bullseye Wrote: If only Treadwell caught that deep pass against the Colts in the season ending game.

Trevor Lawrence could have had a monster game.  His drop of the deep pass down the left sideline was Trevor's first incompletion of the game after 15 straight completions.  That would have added another 40+ yards to the total.  That play and LaViska's drop of a TD-which would have been Trevor's 3rd TD of the game-would have been huge...and we would have given the Colts the crushing blowout loss they deserved.

Sigh.
This is what I find exciting about this season coming up. Conceptually with proper NFL coaching and execution I believe you're going to see Pederson doing his best of "put your aces in their places" and you'll see proper scheming and formations.

I am getting excited man. I think this offense is going to be exciting and a different player will show up each week that makes it that much more exciting. I think a realistic "look" or "feel" to this offense should mirror something like the 2016/2017 Eagles offensively.

I think Etienne and Engram are going to be the silent killers all year on offense in the passing game. When it's 3rd and short they'll be the guys coming up more often than not over the middle or in the flats.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I am excited for the Pederson hire generally.  From the top down, I think this team will be far better run/coached than it has been in quite some time.

I think the offensive improvement is going to come primarily from the coaching/scheme.  I think Engram will be a very good addition.  He may have his share of drops, but he has a knack for producing some big plays.  Watching his highlights, he turns a lot of short passes into long yardage plays with YAC.  In sum, he will be huge for the offense even with the occasional drop.

Defensively, I think the team brought in more talent to really transform the defense.  Not that I don't think Caldwell is a good coach.  TBH I don't know because he's never been a coordinator until now.  I don't want to underrate his contributions to the scheme.  But I really like the additions to the defense.  I even like what I've seen and heard of the late round guys.  The one guy I'm not totally sold on yet is Walker.

But I am excted about this team's future.  This year they show improvement from last year.  I think in 2023, assuming we invest in the offense to a sufficient level, I think we contend for the division.  If the offense surprises this year, I think the tacks take a step back and we end up contending.  But more likely, 2023 will be the year we return to the playoffs.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Posting a camp clip here to possibly revive a languishing thread about our new look receiving corps

(kind-of fun that Doug P is hurling the rock in this fade drill)

https://twitter.com/JStCyrTV/status/1553...3QhsX78XvQ

(07-31-2022, 12:18 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Posting a camp clip here to possibly revive a languishing thread about our new look receiving corps

(kind-of fun that Doug P is hurling the rock in this fade drill)

https://twitter.com/JStCyrTV/status/1553...3QhsX78XvQ

sounds like we have emergency QB settled.

How much of Shenault’s problems last year can be attributed to hurricane Mayer? He went from looking promising catching passes from Minchew to horrible last year. What caused the drop off in production, and can it be fixed?

(08-02-2022, 02:51 PM)Norseman Wrote: How much of Shenault’s problems last year can be attributed to hurricane Mayer? He went from looking promising catching passes from Minchew to horrible last year. What caused the drop off in production, and can it be fixed?

My theory is that he went from Minshew velocity to Lawrence velocity and needed better coaching to not only make that adjustment, but to get him running routes that suit his skill set. 

Not to mention, having watched pro football for 30+ years, receivers do sometimes go through bouts and spells of dropping passes. 
Many bounce back just fine.

As much as most people here hate myer, hes not the reason there were billions of drop passes last year. If that continues to happen, we will suck again.

(08-02-2022, 08:27 PM)Jag88 Wrote: As much as most people here hate myer, hes not the reason there were billions of drop passes last year. If that continues to happen, we will suck again.

While there is some truth to that, a bad coach can make players doubt their abilities which in turn make them hesitant. Part of a coach’s job is to improve the players confidence, and players without self confidence often make mistakes they otherwise would not make.

(08-02-2022, 08:27 PM)Jag88 Wrote: As much as most people here hate myer, hes not the reason there were billions of drop passes last year. If that continues to happen, we will suck again.

He certainly played a role in getting rid of McCardell as the WR coach and then brought in a bum to replace him.

(08-02-2022, 10:54 PM)Eric1 Wrote:

He certainly played a role in getting rid of McCardell as the WR coach and then brought in a bum to replace him.

And orchestrated an offense along with Bevell that 
  • sent multiple receivers to the same 5 yard patch of turf as some "feature" of their offense
  • asked a rookie QB to throw the ball an insane amount while sitting a 1000 yd rusher
  • asked rookie QB to make an insane amount of low completion percentage passes instead of basic dink and dunk to move chains
  • completely failed to build an offensive scheme that complemented the talent available 
  • failed to gameplan with any effect from week to week for the defenses they faced 

maybe not THE reason, but certainly *A* reason.

He did nothing to instill confidence in anyone on last year's roster. Doubt and second guessing will lead to mistakes.
I can't wait to see how differently we perform now that his spectre is gone.

This is one part of team I don't like. We spent too much money on avg talent. I still think Chalk was better than any of these guys.
You know you're dealing with a belief system when you get an emotional response.