Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Dvr in tvs

These new tvs are starting to have a lot of memory.  Why cant they build a dvr right into the tv?

Would solve a lot of issues for cord cutters.  I would def pay more for a tv like that.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-30-2022, 10:03 PM)surfon Wrote: These new tvs are starting to have a lot of memory.  Why cant they build a dvr right into the tv?

Would solve a lot of issues for cord cutters.  I would def pay more for a tv like that.

Purely speculation on my part but I’m thinking it would violate copyright laws for some of these streaming services which produce their own subscription content.

(05-30-2022, 10:03 PM)surfon Wrote: These new tvs are starting to have a lot of memory.  Why cant they build a dvr right into the tv?

Wait, what?

A DVR to record streamed content? Isn't the streamed content already recorded? Depending on your stream provider, you may be able to schedule recording of live content, I believe YTTV does this, not sure of the others.

That would be pretty bad [BLEEP].  I’ll lend you money to patent the idea and you can give me an eency weency tiny royalty.  How does 98% sound?  Let’s make this happen!  Business partners?

[Image: Pyi2.gif]

(This post was last modified: 06-03-2022, 02:03 PM by surfon. Edited 2 times in total.)

Let me clarify the dvr would only record from antenna tv. That help?

And on cable essentially like streaming now since its digital you should be able to record from those channels also.

You tubetv does it in a cloud is that completely different than a dvr?

Yea basically for sports and such to record mostly live tv.

Sux since no cable now and yt tv got way pricey started at 35 mo now 65 tok much.

Guess maybe just get a dvr recorder and do it that way?

(06-03-2022, 01:59 PM)surfon Wrote: Let me clarify the dvr would only record from antenna tv.  That help?

And on cable essentially like streaming now since its digital you should be able to record from those channels also. 

Yea basically for sports and such to record  mostly live tv.

Sux since no cable now and yt tv got way pricey started at 35 mo now 65 tok much.

They still make antenna tv's? lolol

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(06-03-2022, 01:59 PM)surfon Wrote: Let me clarify the dvr would only record from antenna tv.  That help?

Yea basically for sports and such to record  mostly live tv.

Yes just get a DVR like the Amazon one or similar. The tv tuner devices are illegal to produce now, I believe, and most content is protected now. There is no way to record it unless you are able to pass the decoded signal. Streaming apps would also be against terms or illegal to enable that, so the apps wouldn't be enabled on those TVs. There are ways to do it but not inside the TV.

You also have issues with hardware failures. They could fit a 1 TB drive in the back of the TV but then they would end up having to replace a bunch under warranty. If the drive was accessible and hot swap able that would be better but most people just don't need it.

(This post was last modified: 06-04-2022, 12:13 AM by surfon.)

If i need a solution trust me others do also.

I have looked up many wYs to record and they all either now need a paid script or a lot of extra complicated crap.

J/s shouldnt be this complicated.

Guess i can always dust off the old vcr when life was simpler.

(This post was last modified: 06-04-2022, 07:09 PM by Jags.)

(06-04-2022, 12:11 AM)surfon Wrote: If i need a solution trust me others do also.

I have looked up many wYs to record and they all either now need a paid script or a lot of extra complicated crap.

I don’t disagree with you at all.  You’re certainly not alone.  I am not privy to the copyrights or laws, but this seems like it should be pretty standard.  I have a OTA antenna that, oddly enough, Dish network gave to me and installed for free.  The way it’s set up, I can dvr locals through the antenna or the Dish services.  Pretty much, hurricane season is the only time it’s used.  Truth be told, I feel the OTA pic is better than the satellite.  I totally understand what you’re looking for.  I’m currently doing it without the need for it.  If I ever cancel dish, I won’t be able to dvr it.  As a cord cutter curious identifier, it would make it a lot easier to make that decision.  I know there are other outlets and services that include local stations, but still.

(06-04-2022, 12:11 AM)surfon Wrote: If i need a solution trust me others do also.

I don’t disagree with you at all.  You’re certainly not alone.  I am not privy to the copyrights or laws, but this seems like it should be pretty standard.  I have a OTA antenna that, oddly enough, Dish network gave to me and installed for free.  The way it’s set up, I can dvr locals through the antenna or the Dish services.  Pretty much, hurricane season is the only time it’s used.  Truth be told, I feel the OTA pic is better than the satellite.  I totally understand what you’re looking for.  I’m currently doing it without the need for it.  If I ever cancel dish, I won’t be able to dvr it.  As a cord cutter curious identifier, it would make it a lot easier to make that decision.  I know there are other outlets and services that include local stations, but still.

You can say that again....
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 06-04-2022, 10:09 PM by WingerDinger. Edited 1 time in total.)

(06-04-2022, 07:09 PM)Jags Wrote:

You're givin Jimmy Two Times a run for his money lol

"I'm gonna go get the papers.. get the papers.. get the papers" 

Jags Three Times lol

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(06-04-2022, 07:09 PM)Jags Wrote:

OTA will always be better than satellite. Satellite has to compress the signal and you get the same signal in OTA that the satellite is getting before it compresses it.

The Amazon box that records 4 stations is good and fees. There are some other options but the need just isn't there any more for most people. Everything is streamed so you can watch it for free or a cost.

I always prefer the dvr to skip commercials but there just isn't enough demand from people. I have an ota dvr and a streaming tv & dvr I get for free as backups to my satellite. I'm not the norm though and too many people are happy just watching the same ads over and over online.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk