Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
LIV Golf Series

Figured we'd give this a thread of its own

Here's a good soundbyte from JT 
https://twitter.com/skysportsgolf/status...mBy2ZgjN-Q

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Was*
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

The PGA Tour is a large ecosystem, with tournaments, sponsors, volunteers, TV contracts, etc etc etc. If you have billions of dollars to spend, it's not that hard to start a rival league. But to turn it into a sustainable business is another matter altogether. No matter how much money the Saudis want to spend launching this thing, I have my doubts that they will want to sustain sizeable losses for very long.

I’m thinking Tony Finau will be the next to go. This is exactly how he came up in golf. I’m surprised he hasn’t jumped already.

Bryson and Patrick Reed already declared too/
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(06-08-2022, 03:58 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Bryson and Patrick Reed already declared too/

What is the punishment in Saudi Arabia for cheating at golf?

(06-08-2022, 04:05 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(06-08-2022, 03:58 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Bryson and Patrick Reed already declared too/

What is the punishment in Saudi Arabia for cheating at golf?

For men or women?

(This post was last modified: 06-08-2022, 05:11 PM by Jag149.)

Yea, yea, Yea...I'll follow the Liv series as much as I follow the Asian or European tour. (Which is none) On the surface it appears to be a good place for current PGA members that see new wave of young golfers coming to run and hide. (and get a big payday for zero results)
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(06-08-2022, 02:04 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: The PGA Tour is a large ecosystem, with tournaments, sponsors, volunteers, TV contracts, etc etc etc.  If you have billions of dollars to spend, it's not that hard to start a rival league.  But to turn it into a sustainable business is another matter altogether.  No matter how much money the Saudis want to spend launching this thing, I have my doubts that they will want to sustain sizeable losses for very long.

I think they probably intend to take losses for a few years and their pockets are so deep they are unfazed by it. 
I wonder if sustainability is even a goal? May not be. 

Also - it will be interesting to see what sponsorship and investment money has been collected from similar deep pockets  in that little corner of the world - rife with insanely wealthy families and entities. (we'll probably never know, but...)

LIV gonna be full of washed golfers looking for some cash on their way out and not very good players like koepkas brother for example, who can't make cuts or any money on tour. I don't see it truly competing against the pga tour.

(06-08-2022, 11:21 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: LIV gonna be full of washed golfers looking for some cash on their way out and not very good players like koepkas brother for example, who can't make cuts or any money on tour. I don't see it truly competing against the pga tour.

Yeah, reeks of MLS.  Will attract the occasional aging star or half decent player.
R.I.P. Stroudcrowd1

If LIV can attract other financial sponsors who don't scare away broadcasters and advertisers, the league will take off. As long as Saudi money is exclusively involved it seems destined to fail. But still, I'm enjoying the shakeup of the PGA that is beginning to get stale.

The thoughts of Pat Perez.

The first LIV tournament is streaming on YouTube now.

https://youtu.be/-exyLWw5pq8

Saudi money is endless so this is just a drop in the bucket for them. That said, the PGA will still be king in the US, even if they have lesser talent. I don't think people have a true bond to our existing players (other than Tiger and Phil, so if we lose any existing players, they will just be replaced by a younger player that may even bring a flair back to the tour. Right now, other then the Brooks vs Brooksey rivalry, the tour is pretty boring when Tiger and Phil are not in the top 20 of the leaderboard.

PGA suspends all players participating in LIV

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/340...tournament

Strong comments from Brandel Chamblee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWVPx6V2WAo

(06-09-2022, 07:52 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: If LIV can attract other financial sponsors who don't scare away broadcasters and advertisers, the league will take off. As long as Saudi money is exclusively involved it seems destined to fail. But still, I'm enjoying the shakeup of the PGA that is beginning to get stale.

That's true.  PGA has a bit of "too big to fail" arrogance about them.
R.I.P. Stroudcrowd1

(06-09-2022, 11:46 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: PGA suspends all players participating in LIV

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/340...tournament

This smacks of excessive control on the part of the PGA. Ironic that the Saudi's look like the free enterprisers here.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(06-09-2022, 07:52 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: If LIV can attract other financial sponsors who don't scare away broadcasters and advertisers, the league will take off. As long as Saudi money is exclusively involved it seems destined to fail. But still, I'm enjoying the shakeup of the PGA that is beginning to get stale.

I think the Saudi pockets are so deep, they could keep it going for quite some time regardless of backing. 
I do think they will eventually find some partners, advertisers, and broadcast licensing revenue that will offset costs considerably - even if it doesn't necessarily prove significantly profitable. 

As far as the shakeup - I don't mind it, but I also enjoy watching the current surge of young players on the PGA tour 

I look at the top 100 on the money list right now and see 20 or so young golfers that I really enjoy watching compete. 
(when I say young - most are in their 20's and a few are under 33) 
So I didn't feel any need for a shake-up - but it could be interesting. 
Haven't had a chance to watch the stream yet today - but will try to watch a bit tomorrow.