Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
LIV Golf Series

(08-17-2022, 06:33 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Patrick Reed sues the Golf Channel.

Not sure I 100% agree with this, but hey, anything to shut Chamblee's pie hole is welcome.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Reed is a cheating, greedy, coward.

(08-17-2022, 06:33 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Patrick Reed sues the Golf Channel.

A plaintiff who is a public figure has to clear a pretty high bar to win a defamation case.  I don't give it much chance.  He has to prove falsehood, and malice.

As if Patrick Reed wasn't already unlikable enough...

(This post was last modified: 08-18-2022, 07:15 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

Here's a funny headline.

To Win a Defamation of Character Suit, Patrick Reed Would Need Character To Begin With

https://www.si.com/golf/news/to-win-a-de...2022-08-18

The funny thing is, if this goes to trial, Reed would have to take the stand and defend all his past transgressions.  I not sure he's thought this through.

(08-18-2022, 07:13 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Here's a funny headline.

To Win a Defamation of Character Suit, Patrick Reed Would Need Character To Begin With

https://www.si.com/golf/news/to-win-a-de...2022-08-18

The funny thing is, if this goes to trial, Reed would have to take the stand and defend all his past transgressions.  I not sure he's thought this through.

Ooh, smack.  Laughing

Well, this will get interesting. LIV vs TGL

https://twitter.com/GolfDigest/status/15...kF9FbDFXbw

I guess what it comes down to is that one is backed by a controversial source and never sought to coordinate with the PGA, but to compete with them.

The other (as far as we know so far) is backed by Tiger and a group of less controversial investors and sought to coordinate with the PGA from the get go. And, of course the whole "virtual golf" thing.

(08-25-2022, 11:20 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Well, this will get interesting. LIV vs TGL

I guess what it comes down to is that one is backed by a controversial source and never sought to coordinate with the PGA, but to compete with them.

The other (as far as we know so far) is backed by Tiger and a group of less controversial investors and sought to coordinate with the PGA from the get go. And, of course the whole "virtual golf" thing.

I think he's referring to more than just that, but also the changes to the TOUR and KFT, regarding guaranteed money, elevated events with larger purses, etc etc.

It is pretty hypocritical, and you have to wonder if any of those changes would have ever gotten made without the threat of a competitor?  I mean, that was Phil's big complaint, right?

Anyways, as an avid golfer and huge golf fan, I'm excited to see what this turns into.

(08-25-2022, 12:14 PM)KingIngram052787 Wrote:
(08-25-2022, 11:20 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Well, this will get interesting. LIV vs TGL

I think he's referring to more than just that, but also the changes to the TOUR and KFT, regarding guaranteed money, elevated events with larger purses, etc etc.

It is pretty hypocritical, and you have to wonder if any of those changes would have ever gotten made without the threat of a competitor?  I mean, that was Phil's big complaint, right?

Anyways, as an avid golfer and huge golf fan, I'm excited to see what this turns into.

I don't know that the tour elevating purses and attempting to strengthen fields is anything more than a standard reaction to losing talent to a competing tour who offers easier money to pro golfers. They kind-of have to do that to stay properly positioned in the market to attract talent. 

Not hypocritical IMO.  Just a reaction to competition. 

Now, the various tour players and officials/admins who have bad mouthed the format of LIV,  and are now supportive of Tiger's format, THOSE GUYS are being hypocritical.

(This post was last modified: 08-25-2022, 03:04 PM by NewJagsCity. Edited 1 time in total.)

(08-25-2022, 01:53 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(08-25-2022, 12:14 PM)KingIngram052787 Wrote: I think he's referring to more than just that, but also the changes to the TOUR and KFT, regarding guaranteed money, elevated events with larger purses, etc etc.

I don't know that the tour elevating purses and attempting to strengthen fields is anything more than a standard reaction to losing talent to a competing tour who offers easier money to pro golfers. They kind-of have to do that to stay properly positioned in the market to attract talent. 

Now, the various tour players and officials/admins who have bad mouthed the format of LIV,  and are now supportive of Tiger's format, THOSE GUYS are being hypocritical.

I don't see this Tiger thing as being in competition with the PGA. It's more like an add-on; like TopGolf Shotmakers and Big Break was. And it doesn't look like it will be a drain on PGA Tour talent, assuming I understand it correctly. But I may not.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(08-25-2022, 03:03 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(08-25-2022, 01:53 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I don't know that the tour elevating purses and attempting to strengthen fields is anything more than a standard reaction to losing talent to a competing tour who offers easier money to pro golfers. They kind-of have to do that to stay properly positioned in the market to attract talent. 

I don't see this Tiger thing as being in competition with the PGA.  It's more like an add-on; like TopGolf Shotmakers and Big Break was.  And it doesn't look like it will be a drain on PGA Tour talent, assuming I understand it correctly.  But I may not.

No you got it right.  It's partially in partnership with the TOUR.

(08-25-2022, 03:03 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(08-25-2022, 01:53 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I don't know that the tour elevating purses and attempting to strengthen fields is anything more than a standard reaction to losing talent to a competing tour who offers easier money to pro golfers. They kind-of have to do that to stay properly positioned in the market to attract talent. 

I don't see this Tiger thing as being in competition with the PGA.  It's more like an add-on; like TopGolf Shotmakers and Big Break was.  And it doesn't look like it will be a drain on PGA Tour talent, assuming I understand it correctly.  But I may not.

I specifically said TGL was coordinated with the PGA.   Not in competition with it. 

It's the LIV tour's competition that spurred the PGA to make adjustment's to their purses and strength of field consistency. That isn't hypocritical. It's a direct reaction to a shift in the market for talent.

Cam Smith, Harold Varner, Joaquin Niemann and others have joined LIV.

https://www.si.com/golf/news/cam-smith-h...-this-week

Can't wait to hear Brandel Chamblee's opinions on why TGL is the best idea ever.
R.I.P. Stroudcrowd1

(08-30-2022, 05:18 PM)captivating Wrote: Can't wait to hear Brandel Chamblee's opinions on why TGL is the best idea ever.

I don't know if it's necessarily "a good idea" on its own merits, but it seems wise for the PGA to coordinate with some alternate version of LIV in order to keep more talent in the fold, yet still allow some golfers to branch out beyond what had been previously available to them within their bylaws. 

The virtual aspect could turn out really awful or really cool depending on how they execute it.
The actual chipping and putting aspect helps, but... still weird. 

Glad I don't have time or golf channel access to sit through Chamblee's rants based on everything I'm hearing about them, LOL.

(07-31-2022, 09:53 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(07-31-2022, 08:38 PM)Sneakers Wrote:  The cash flow is endless, and the attrition continues........  PGA officials have to be getting close to panic mode.

Not yet. If Cam Smith goes over, they might start getting nervous. Especially if Korn Ferry and players out of college start signing up.

(08-30-2022, 09:17 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Cam Smith, Harold Varner, Joaquin Niemann and others have joined LIV.

Now?
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

As a casual golf fan, I just admit that I like seeing golfers hack around the course which is why I like the The British Open (Open Championship) and US Open a lot more than the Masters and TPC Sawgrass. With that in mind, I'd welcome less talented golfers like Ricky Fowler (given his recent performances) to be atop the leaderboard on the weekends. I could care less if I don't see Cam Smith play ever again ... nice story, but don't really tune in to see him.

(08-31-2022, 01:02 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: As a casual golf fan, I just admit that I like seeing golfers hack around the course which is why I like the The British Open (Open Championship) and US Open a lot more than the Masters and TPC Sawgrass. With that in mind, I'd welcome less talented golfers like Ricky Fowler (given his recent performances) to be atop the leaderboard on the weekends. I could care less if I don't see Cam Smith play ever again ... nice story, but don't really tune in to see him.

That's interesting; Cam has won a major and the Players, while Rickey has just won the Players. Smith is a fun guy to watch putt; i watched him live at this years Players. But Fowler had a very exciting Players win. Just curious about why they differ for you.

(08-31-2022, 11:58 AM)Sneakers Wrote:
(07-31-2022, 09:53 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Not yet. If Cam Smith goes over, they might start getting nervous. Especially if Korn Ferry and players out of college start signing up.

(08-30-2022, 09:17 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Cam Smith, Harold Varner, Joaquin Niemann and others have joined LIV.

Now?

They can't be happy about it. Matsuyama was rumored to be making the jump but didn't. It doesn't mean he won't in the future. The PGA is getting creative with tournament formats and purses. That alone tells me they're concerned.

LIV players are now allowed to wear shorts during play. PGA players have to be jealous.