Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
January 6 Committee: Thousands of Interviews, Few New Facts

Facts are so  Rolleyes

What’s important is the mens room.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

This has been nothing but a big waste of tax payer money.. Par the course for them.
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(06-30-2022, 09:59 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: This has been nothing but a big waste of tax payer money.. Par the course for them.

It's why it won't end. The staffers are getting paid extra, some are making+$180,000.

(06-30-2022, 12:33 PM)p_rushing Wrote:
(06-30-2022, 09:59 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: This has been nothing but a big waste of tax payer money.. Par the course for them.

It's why it won't end. The staffers are getting paid extra, some are making+$180,000.

Gotta extend this to November, they've got nothing else to run on.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(This post was last modified: 06-30-2022, 11:17 PM by Jaguarmeister. Edited 1 time in total.)

(06-29-2022, 04:29 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(06-29-2022, 01:23 PM)Sneakers Wrote: Even if true, these "facts" are irrelevant and do not come remotely close to supporting the burden of proof that you suggest.  It's like saying anyone who is angry and goes to a BLM protest, does so with the intent to riot.

That's not how mens rea works. No one asks "was there mens rea" unless an illegal act occurred.  Simply showing up at a protest while angry is not a crime.  But rioting is.  And inciting a riot is.  Trump continuing to incite violence after he knew that there were real threats of violence and even actual violence is a crime, and the testimony we have establishes that he knew what he was doing.

I don't know if it's mens or womens, but there's definitely some rhea being spewed at these hearings.

I'll see myself out.

(06-30-2022, 10:52 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(06-29-2022, 04:29 PM)mikesez Wrote: That's not how mens rea works. No one asks "was there mens rea" unless an illegal act occurred.  Simply showing up at a protest while angry is not a crime.  But rioting is.  And inciting a riot is.  Trump continuing to incite violence after he knew that there were real threats of violence and even actual violence is a crime, and the testimony we have establishes that he knew what he was doing.

I don't know if it's mens or womens, but there's definitely some rhea being spewed at these hearings.

I'll see myself out.

Drum roll/Rimshot ba-bum
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(This post was last modified: 07-02-2022, 05:50 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 2 times in total.)

What is interesting to me is the lack of defense Trump is getting.  He's even commented on it himself.  It looks like a lot of former supporters in influential places are tip-toeing away from him.  I think a lot of them have decided he's too toxic.  DeSantis is new, and clean, and young, and looks like a very good replacement for this old man who just wants to talk about the election being "stolen."  Republicans want to talk about inflation, and the economy, and government overreach, and how identity politics are poisoning our society, and all the other juicy issues they can run on.  Going on and on and on about the last election drowns out the issues they want to run on.

You think you've got January 6 up the wazzou now?  It Trump runs, it'll be January 6, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, for two solid years!

(07-02-2022, 05:25 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: What is interesting to me is the lack of defense Trump is getting.  He's even commented on it himself.  It looks like a lot of former supporters in influential places are tip-toeing away from him.  I think a lot of them have decided he's too toxic.  DeSantis is new, and clean, and young, and looks like a very good replacement for this old man who just wants to talk about the election being "stolen."  Republicans want to talk about inflation, and the economy, and government overreach, and how identity politics are poisoning our society, and all the other juicy issues they can run on.  Going on and on and on about the last election drowns out the issues they want to run on.

You think you've got January 6 up the wazzou now?  It Trump runs, it'll be January 6, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, for two solid years!

What you're talking about is how The Swamp won. Now all those who tried to fight it are just trying to save their own skins.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(07-02-2022, 09:00 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(07-02-2022, 05:25 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: What is interesting to me is the lack of defense Trump is getting.  He's even commented on it himself.  It looks like a lot of former supporters in influential places are tip-toeing away from him.  I think a lot of them have decided he's too toxic.  DeSantis is new, and clean, and young, and looks like a very good replacement for this old man who just wants to talk about the election being "stolen."  Republicans want to talk about inflation, and the economy, and government overreach, and how identity politics are poisoning our society, and all the other juicy issues they can run on.  Going on and on and on about the last election drowns out the issues they want to run on.

What you're talking about is how The Swamp won. Now all those who tried to fight it are just trying to save their own skins.

A lot of people divide their world into "my friends" and "my enemies." Nothing wrong with that.  Trump does it, but most politicians do.  Trump calls his enemies "the Swamp."   But you have your own ethics and goals.  You should have your own concept of who the heroes and villains are.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(07-02-2022, 09:00 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

So anyone who does not support Trump is "the swamp?"

(07-02-2022, 10:13 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(07-02-2022, 09:00 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: What you're talking about is how The Swamp won. Now all those who tried to fight it are just trying to save their own skins.

"The swamp" is a reference to the grossly bloated bureaucracy that is our federal government and was first used by Reagan.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(07-02-2022, 09:29 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(07-02-2022, 09:00 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: What you're talking about is how The Swamp won. Now all those who tried to fight it are just trying to save their own skins.

A lot of people divide their world into "my friends" and "my enemies." Nothing wrong with that.  Trump does it, but most politicians do.  Trump calls his enemies "the Swamp."   But you have your own ethics and goals.  You should have your own concept of who the heroes and villains are.

Lol, I know the villains. There are no heroes.

(07-02-2022, 10:13 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

Anyone in D.C. who doesn't support Trump's goal of draining the Swamp is the Swamp. Those who sacrifice that ideal to save their own skins are just yellow.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 07-02-2022, 11:27 AM by mikesez. Edited 3 times in total.)

(07-02-2022, 10:40 AM)Sneakers Wrote:
(07-02-2022, 10:13 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: So anyone who does not support Trump is "the swamp?"

"The swamp" is a reference to the grossly bloated bureaucracy that is our federal government and was first used by Reagan.

Anyone who's ever been on hold with the IRS knows the federal bureaucracy is a lot of things, but not bloated. Confusing, yes. Byzantine, yes. Incompetent, sometimes. Bloated, no. They are typically understaffed. Of course they would be able to close cases with less man-hours if the law was simpler and clearer, but, that's not their fault. Which regulations did Trump eliminate or simplify? Very few.

(This post was last modified: 07-02-2022, 11:30 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

(07-02-2022, 11:16 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(07-02-2022, 09:29 AM)mikesez Wrote: A lot of people divide their world into "my friends" and "my enemies." Nothing wrong with that.  Trump does it, but most politicians do.  Trump calls his enemies "the Swamp."   But you have your own ethics and goals.  You should have your own concept of who the heroes and villains are.

(07-02-2022, 10:13 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: So anyone who does not support Trump is "the swamp?"

Anyone in D.C. who doesn't support Trump's goal of draining the Swamp is the Swamp. Those who sacrifice that ideal to save their own skins are just yellow.

Do you have to support Trump for President in order to support draining the swamp?  Is he the only one who can do it?  You seriously saying you cannot find a better candidate than him??

All I'm talking about is how many Republicans are tiptoeing away from Trump and going to support other candidates probably.  And you said that means the swamp won. Seriously?  No one but Trump can fight the swamp?

This joke is a bit hackneyed, but it has a sizable kernel of truth to it. 

The government has a vast scrap yard in the middle of the desert. The congressman whose district it's in says someone might steal from it at night, so congress creates a night watchman, GS-4 position and hires a person for the job. Then the congressman asks, "How does the watchman do his job without instruction?"

So, congress creates a planning position and hires two people - one person to write the instructions, a GS-12, and one person to do time studies, a GS-11.

"How will we know the night watchman is doing the tasks correctly?" the congressman asks.

So, Congress creates a quality control position and hires a GS-9 to do quality control studies and a GS-11 to write the reports. Then the congressman asks, "How are these people going to get paid?"

So, congress authorizes a position of timekeeper, GS-9, and payroll officer, GS-11, and two people are hired to fill the slots.

"Who will be accountable for all of these people?" the congressman asks.

So, they hire three people, and administrative officer, GS-13, an assistant administrative officer GS-12, and a legal secretary, a GS-8. On the eve of the next election season the congressman looks at the cost and says, "We have had this command in operation for one year and we are $40,000 over budget. We must cutback overall costs."

So, they lay off the night watchman.

(07-02-2022, 11:30 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: This joke is a bit hackneyed, but it has a sizable kernel of truth to it. 

The government has a vast scrap yard in the middle of the desert. The congressman whose district it's in says someone might steal from it at night, so congress creates a night watchman, GS-4 position and hires a person for the job. Then the congressman asks, "How does the watchman do his job without instruction?"

So, congress creates a planning position and hires two people - one person to write the instructions, a GS-12, and one person to do time studies, a GS-11.

"How will we know the night watchman is doing the tasks correctly?" the congressman asks.

So, Congress creates a quality control position and hires a GS-9 to do quality control studies and a GS-11 to write the reports. Then the congressman asks, "How are these people going to get paid?"

So, congress authorizes a position of timekeeper, GS-9, and payroll officer, GS-11, and two people are hired to fill the slots.

"Who will be accountable for all of these people?" the congressman asks.

So, they hire three people, and administrative officer, GS-13, an assistant administrative officer GS-12, and a legal secretary, a GS-8. On the eve of the next election season the congressman looks at the cost and says, "We have had this command in operation for one year and we are $40,000 over budget. We must cutback overall costs."

So, they lay off the night watchman.

Juvenal would be proud.

(This post was last modified: 07-02-2022, 02:14 PM by mikesez. Edited 1 time in total.)

(07-02-2022, 11:16 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(07-02-2022, 09:29 AM)mikesez Wrote: A lot of people divide their world into "my friends" and "my enemies." Nothing wrong with that.  Trump does it, but most politicians do.  Trump calls his enemies "the Swamp."   But you have your own ethics and goals.  You should have your own concept of who the heroes and villains are.

You never criticize Trump.  He absolutely is a hero in your story.

(07-02-2022, 02:13 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(07-02-2022, 11:16 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Lol, I know the villains. There are no heroes.

Compared to his contemporaries and his term to the last 18 months the guy is a saint. Far too moderate to have received my vote, but of all the stink in politics at least the people I despise hated him too.

There are too many people in this country that would rather be pissed on and told that it's raining than to have anybody question why the water's yellow.

(07-02-2022, 02:13 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(07-02-2022, 11:16 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Lol, I know the villains. There are no heroes.

This is what you do not understand.  I believe every Trump supporter has expressed dismay at his antics and his narcissistic personality.  What you fail to see is the compromise made in accepting his many faults for him exposing just how corrupt DC has become.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.