Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Preseason Mags Starting to reach Magazine racks

Yeah...I know...print is dead.

Not to me, though.  Not if it produces material of interest to me.

This brings me to the Preseason football magazines.  I have seen the first one hit the stands last week-Lindy's.  Here are some of the highlights.

Balzer predicts the Jaguars will, once again, finish last in the division, with the Colts winning it this year.  However, per the magazine's rating sysstem, the Jaguars are NOT the worst team in the league.

The Buffahole Bills are Lindy's pick to win it all.

In draft grades, the Jaguars were given an A in grading that was generous overall.

Reflecting what happened in the draft, in the various unit rankings, the Jaguars LB corps was ranked 4th best in the AFC behind Pittsburgh, Indy, and the Chargers.

Scherff ranked the 4th best RG in the league behind Zach Martun of Dallas, Wyatt Teller of Cleveland, and Shaq Mason of Tampa Bay.

Among the most controversial rankings to me was that Vrabel is rated a better coach than Pederson, even though Pederson is the only coach in the division to have won a Super Bowl as a head coach.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(06-12-2022, 07:28 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Yeah...I know...print is dead.

Not to me, though.  Not if it produces material of interest to me. Something comforting about turning the pages and reading Lindy's each year.  I like having a reference I don't have to click on anything to read the information.  Yea that dates me ... so what...lol

This brings me to the Preseason football magazines.  I have seen the first one hit the stands last week-Lindy's.  Here are some of the highlights.

Balzer predicts the Jaguars will, once again, finish last in the division, with the Colts winning it this year.  However, per the magazine's rating sysstem, the Jaguars are NOT the worst team in the league.  Sounds like a fair assessment given our past, a new coach and probably a roster turnover of what a third?  Perhaps a bit conservative but Lindy's usually is just that way.  I am hopeful they will do better but it comes down to how fast they learn to play together as a team.

In draft grades, the Jaguars were given an A in grading that was generous overall.

Reflecting what happened in the draft, in the various unit rankings, the Jaguars LB corps was ranked 4th best in the AFC behind Pittsburgh, Indy, and the Chargers. This makes sense seeing the A draft grade.  We do have a good chance to hit on 5 of our 7 draftees, making is one of our best ever.

Scherff ranked the 4th best RG in the league behind Zach Martun of Dallas, Wyatt Teller of Cleveland, and Shaq Mason of Tampa Bay.

Among the most controversial rankings to me was that Vrabel is rated a better coach than Pederson, even though Pederson is the only coach in the division to have won a Super Bowl as a head coach. I actually liked it, nothing wrong with our coach having a bit of motivation too.  What did Saban call it? sweet rat poison?

A new broom always sweeps clean.

(06-12-2022, 10:03 PM)Jag149 Wrote:
(06-12-2022, 07:28 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Yeah...I know...print is dead.

Not to me, though.  Not if it produces material of interest to me. Something comforting about turning the pages and reading Lindy's each year.  I like having a reference I don't have to click on anything to read the information.  Yea that dates me ... so what...lol

Balzer predicts the Jaguars will, once again, finish last in the division, with the Colts winning it this year.  However, per the magazine's rating sysstem, the Jaguars are NOT the worst team in the league.  Sounds like a fair assessment given our past, a new coach and probably a roster turnover of what a third?  Perhaps a bit conservative but Lindy's usually is just that way.  I am hopeful they will do better but it comes down to how fast they learn to play together as a team.

Reflecting what happened in the draft, in the various unit rankings, the Jaguars LB corps was ranked 4th best in the AFC behind Pittsburgh, Indy, and the Chargers. This makes sense seeing the A draft grade.  We do have a good chance to hit on 5 of our 7 draftees, making is one of our best ever.

Among the most controversial rankings to me was that Vrabel is rated a better coach than Pederson, even though Pederson is the only coach in the division to have won a Super Bowl as a head coach. I actually liked it, nothing wrong with our coach having a bit of motivation too.  What did Saban call it? sweet rat poison?
To me, if nothing else, thumbing through the pages of those mags takes some of the bite out of offseason football withdrawal.  It's nice to see the first thoughts/predictions about the new season, even if you disagree with them.

Agreed it will boil down in large part to how quickly the team gels.  Ordinarily, I'd say it takes about 5 weeks or so for teams to adjust to the new schemes.  I am hoping between the relatiely soft early portion of the schedule, Pederson's acumen as a coach, and Trevor Lawrence's growth, that period of adjustment can be minimized.

Had you told me before the draft, we would have taken Walker at 1 and gotten no help at WR or TE for Trevor lawrence, I would have been pretty pissed.  But all things considered, I think this draft turned out pretty well for us.  Time will tell, of course, but I'm thinking in time this will go down as one of the better drafts in team history.  I think if nothing else...even assuming Walker does not become a star, I think we still end up with three or four  good to outstanding LBs with a couple of other guys capable of providing quality depth.  For years I had misgivings about switching to a 3-4, in part because getting the LBs to run it well would be a task.  But it seems Baalke and company pulled it off pretty much in one offseason.  I still have my doubts about his ability to identify offensive talent, but I have to give him credit.  I think he did well.  Of course, this could also be a case of everyone being a contender in June, so there's that.

Understood your point about the coaching and compliments/motivation.  I just found it amazing how quikly they dismissed the whole winning the Super Bowl thing.  I could see if Pederson inhereited a Barry Switzer type situation where he had a Super Bowl caliber team the second he landed in Dallas.  But Pederson built the Eagles into a champion.  That has to count for something.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!