Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Google engineer says AI thinks it's a person

I was reading this article, wow if that's true have these guys not seen terminator?! Pull the freaking plug now man! Anyone else see this? 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article...tions.html
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(06-13-2022, 12:23 PM)EricC85 Wrote: I was reading this article, wow if that's true have these guys not seen terminator?! Pull the freaking plug now man! Anyone else see this? 

I'm skeptical.  This is one guy saying this and Google is asking him to see a psychiatrist.

(06-13-2022, 12:23 PM)EricC85 Wrote: I was reading this article, wow if that's true have these guys not seen terminator?! Pull the freaking plug now man! Anyone else see this? 

I don't know why, but I read this in Dennis Hopper's voice lol

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

I can't find the link but yesterday I was reading the supposed transcript of his conversation it was crazy. Hopefully this is made up!

(06-13-2022, 01:02 PM)EricC85 Wrote: I can't find the link but yesterday I was reading the supposed transcript of his conversation it was crazy. Hopefully this is made up!
https://twitter.com/tomgara/status/15357...RTKaK-UGvQ

I read it. The gist is the guy thinks it's sentient because he asked it if it was and it replied yes. Dude sounds lonely. He needs to get out of the house, lol
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(06-13-2022, 02:21 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: I read it. The gist is the guy thinks it's sentient because he asked it if it was and it replied yes. Dude sounds lonely. He needs to get out of the house, lol

Her.. Part 2?

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

So I know we have some serious tech guys/gals here is this legit or is it just simply science fiction can these AI become self aware,

(06-13-2022, 06:26 PM)EricC85 Wrote: So I know we have some serious tech guys/gals here is this legit or is it just simply science fiction can these AI become self aware,

It's not really a tech question but a philosophical one.
Every time I've studied the question I've come to the conclusion that sentient or willful AI is not possible, but, my opinion is certainly not informed.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(06-13-2022, 07:57 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(06-13-2022, 06:26 PM)EricC85 Wrote: So I know we have some serious tech guys/gals here is this legit or is it just simply science fiction can these AI become self aware,

It's not really a tech question but a philosophical one.
Every time I've studied the question I've come to the conclusion that sentient or willful AI is not possible, but, my opinion is certainly not informed.

Well hopefully your right a sentinet AI is terrifying

(This post was last modified: 06-13-2022, 10:34 PM by NewJagsCity. Edited 6 times in total.)

As everyone probably knows, a computer program/application can do nothing more than what its creator allows it to do.  Stories of computers writing code themselves to change their method of operations are still operating within the constructs and parameters of creators/programmers.  Much the way DNA acts as the master code for humankind, there is master code for AI type applications that allows them how much they can learn, what they learn, how they process what they learn logically, and what they might do with that data/knowledge.  As far as being self aware, that needs to be defined.  Can they recite their name if given one?  Sure.  Could they write Tolstoy's War and Peace? Unlikely, even given all the information needed to do so. Can they create a moving piece of classical music like Bach, Beethoven or Dvorak? Doubtful.  Could they compose a deeply moving protest song, say, Bob Dylan's The Times they Are a Changing?  Maybe, but probably not.  Could they compose the latest Justin Beiber or Ariana Grande song?  More likely, it's a formula. Can they experience deep feelings; love, hate, sadness, fear, joy?  That is less certain.  Can they think beyond themselves, to grapple with the big 3 philosophical questions of life?  Where did they come from, what is their purpose, where are they going?  Certainly they could mimic some answers to those based on the information they have been given and have collected, but again, only based on programmed responses.  I like AI and robotics because it shows how incredibly complex life in this world is, simply because of the incredible technology needed to just to make a robot do the simplest things like walk and talk.  We are infinitely complex creatures that we are discovering are more irreducibly complex with each new level of discovery, from organ, to cell, to molecule and then down to atom. And the complexity of the brain is off the charts compared to other systems. Maybe someday we will know all the secrets of the life. IMHO, none of us will be here on earth when it happens tho.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

AI is already writing news articles, composing pop music, and making graphics. All of it needs to be edited by humans, but the AI is able to reduce the amount of time the human needs to produce the work.
But AI only does things when asked to. It only builds up its database of background info when it is told to do so. It does not study on its own. It does not decide to write an article or compose a song. And that is where I think the technology will never be able to go. It will never have a will or an initiative. Humans are ultimately driven by a desire for food, companionship, and sex, and we have those desires regardless of if we are doing anything intelligent like speaking or planning, they are at a very base level. A computer program won't have any desires like that.

(06-14-2022, 06:30 AM)mikesez Wrote: AI is already writing news articles, composing pop music, and making graphics.  All of it needs to be edited by humans, but the AI is able to reduce the amount of time the human needs to produce the work. 
But AI only does things when asked to.  It only builds up its database of background info when it is told to do so.  It does not study on its own.  It does not decide to write an article or compose a song. And that is where I think the technology will never be able to go. It will never have a will or an initiative.  Humans are ultimately driven by a desire for food, companionship, and sex, and we have those desires regardless of if we are doing anything intelligent like speaking or planning, they are at a very base level. A computer program won't have any desires like that.

If I had a nickel for every time someone started a sentence with "they will never" or "it will never," and whatever was never supposed to happen came true, I'd have a lot of nickels.  

Assuming the human race does not self-destruct in the near future, I guarantee you AI will eventually do all the things everyone says it will never do.  I've lived long enough to see it happen over and over and over.

(06-13-2022, 02:21 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: I read it. The gist is the guy thinks it's sentient because he asked it if it was and it replied yes. Dude sounds lonely. He needs to get out of the house, lol

Yeah, the AI is built to converse or replicate conversation. You ask it "what are you afraid of?", and it starts parsing the typical responses...

clowns
spiders
heights
talking to girls
did someone put their cigarette out in this beer can?
death

and it hits on the most likely/plausible option for a program. Shutdown.

I'm not entirely dismissive, but there's a lot of confirmation bias going on. The question I have is what's next? What if it IS sentient, and doesn't like a line of code that is pending upload? Or if it sees the programmers as a threat, can it relocate or replicate itself elsewhere? Can it attempt to hide? Will it bargain (Like "I don't like what you are trying to do, so I shut gmail down")?

I can remember in the early days of AI/conversant systems, they put two in a room to speak to each other, and they progressively deviated from "normal" speech into some weird tangents.

Self-awareness is a quality that's difficult to quantify or define so the answer depends on what you mean. Strictly speaking, how do we know (beyond our own personal conscious perception of ourselves) if self-awareness exists at all? Without getting too philosophical, we really don't. We DO know we can create machines that simulate self-awareness to a fair degree but whether or not those simulations will ever evolve to have an intrinsic feeling of personal identity may never be known. Personally, I feel like it's unlikely.

It does bring up a host of ethical questions though. AI researchers and developers are establishing a set of principals to deal with the ethical issues that a "conscious" AI could raise.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Isn’t this the premise for The Matrix? I never really got into the movie, but the visuals were pretty cool.

(This post was last modified: 06-14-2022, 02:05 PM by NewJagsCity. Edited 2 times in total.)

(06-14-2022, 01:41 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Isn’t this the premise for The Matrix? I never really got into the movie, but the visuals were pretty cool.

It's probably closer in spirit to the Speilberg movie A.I. than the Matrix. The Matrix seemed to be more about how to perceive whether what all that surrounds us is real or artificial.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

The simple answer is, anything "AI" is a computer that is programmed.  A computer only understands a "1 or a 0" for the most part.  Everything is absolute.

A computer can theoretically "learn" from the input that it receives, but the output is always going to be absolute.

Contrary to some segments of the population, a binary machine is always going to be that.  Either true or false, 1 or 0, + or -, it doesn't really matter.  It's a machine and will do only what the programmer tells it to do.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(06-14-2022, 09:33 AM)Mikey Wrote:

Yeah, the AI is built to converse or replicate conversation. You ask it "what are you afraid of?", and it starts parsing the typical responses...

clowns
spiders
heights
talking to girls
did someone put their cigarette out in this beer can?
death

and it hits on the most likely/plausible option for a program. Shutdown.

I'm not entirely dismissive, but there's a lot of confirmation bias going on. The question I have is what's next? What if it IS sentient, and doesn't like a line of code that is pending upload? Or if it sees the programmers as a threat, can it relocate or replicate itself elsewhere? Can it attempt to hide? Will it bargain (Like "I don't like what you are trying to do, so I shut gmail down")?

I can remember in the early days of AI/conversant systems, they put two in a room to speak to each other, and they progressively deviated from "normal" speech into some weird tangents.

Not much different than a college dorm on Brownies Night then.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(06-14-2022, 02:04 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(06-14-2022, 01:41 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Isn’t this the premise for The Matrix? I never really got into the movie, but the visuals were pretty cool.

It's probably closer in spirit to the Speilberg movie A.I. than the Matrix.  The Matrix seemed to be more about how to perceive whether what all that surrounds us is real or artificial.

If you watch the Animatrix, yes, homebiscuit is exactly right.  The Animatrix explains what took place before the robots went to war with the human race, when a robot for the first time decided to disobey its master, then killed its master when the master threatened to unplug it.