Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bruce Smith Against Boselli's Induction

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20.../#comments

Better for a fool to remain silent...He had no reason to take a shot at Tony, especially if they are a fraternity and brotherhood as Bruce claims.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Someone huwt poor widdle bwuce's feewings.

By this very same argument, Smith should put Terrell Davis in his crosshairs, too. Sure the guy hit 2K, but so did Chris Johnson, and I don't see anyone rushing to nominate /him/ for the hall. TD got in because when the playoffs came, he stepped up and played great ball against elevated competition in games with the highest stakes. Boselli was abusing people throughout the regular season, too, but it's more noteworthy when they replicate that performance against guys that are arguably the best at what they do.

I have a new-found disrespect for Smith. Never was this induction about him. And never should it have been thought to be about him. Take the flippin complement, when people want to justify exactly how good Tony was or could have been, they're citing you as the bar he had to scale. Instead, you pout like a baby that you get to spend the weekend in Canton gladhanding media and former pros alike while repeatedly reminded of your inability to beat this supposedly pedestrian tackle. Enjoy the show, Bruce.

Yeah, Bruce is making it about Bruce a bit too much here. He makes a few decent points, but...

There are a dozen guys in the Hall that deserve it less than Boselli does.

I think it's pretty simple - if a candidate's career was more brief, then he better have been dominant the vast majority of it.
Tony checks that box IMO.

Meh, he just doesn't/hasn't enjoyed one of his worst games ever being put out there every year. He should be happy about him getting in. Now the video won't resurface like clockwork every year.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

"The HOF is an exclusive fraternity that follows a tacit code of conduct which fosters respect and brotherhood between its members. Given the opportunity, any Hall of Famer could use his credentials to boast about his dominance over another member, but such behavior is deemed inappropriate because of the friction and discord it could create within the group. Maintaining harmony and goodwill in the HOF is paramount, and it is precisely why player campaigns have historically been presented respectfully and thoughtfully, allowing the candidate’s stats and complete body of work to speak resoundingly for itself."

The only person causing friction and discord here is Smith by going on social media and airing his displeasure. If you have a problem with someone or with what has happened you go to that person/organization and talk it out, you don't go on social media and kvetch about it. This guy is old enough to know better.

(This post was last modified: 06-14-2022, 01:02 PM by NewJagsCity. Edited 1 time in total.)

(06-14-2022, 12:31 PM)Jagwired Wrote: Meh, he just doesn't/hasn't enjoyed one of his worst games ever being put out there every year. He should be happy about him getting in. Now the video won't resurface like clockwork every year.

Bingo! Though you can't fault Bruce Smith too much for feeling that way, if I were him I would take it more as a compliment than as a slight.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

It is a shame that injuries shortened his career. He could have just played a long time on bad teams and dominated for a longer period of time.

Jan 30, 2020 · Anthony Munoz Supports Jaguars Legend Tony Boselli’s Hall of Fame Candidacy: ‘He Deserves to Be in Canton’ Case closed.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Why is such Rhetoric being entertained?

NH3...
"AZANE"

For everything that comes out of a retired player’s mouth, there should be a disclaimer that says:

“Please keep in mind that we are suing the NFL for CTE”

Classless.

Water under the bridge, Bruce.

And, BTW, you got your ace beat that day.

Damn. Bruce is still salty even after all these years? Just further cements Boselli's standing in the Hall of Fame. The all time leading sack artist in NFL history can't stand seeing the man that flat out owned him in the play-off's. LOL.

That should be Tony's mic drop moment after his speech is given. Just add that little jab or tidbit in there. [BLEEP] Bruce. LOL.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Ok Bruce, I read you comments. Let me remind you that the case made for Tony was not solely based upon you and that one game. He did dominate you that day erasing from the game and from your comments the memories of that game must still sting. Ask all the other players he came up against and erased, why don't you begin with Jason Taylor, they may give you a clue as to how to ease your pain then check back with me. I did find it interesting that instead of graciously taking the compliment you chose to AFTER he was in take a shot at him which is more egregious for a member of the hall than what you are discussing. I guess your publicist advised you it would make you more visible and get a bit more cash this way. Enjoy the induction !
A new broom always sweeps clean.

All these years later and Tony is still living rent free in Bruce's head.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(06-14-2022, 06:30 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: All these years later and Tony is still living rent free in Bruce's head.

Think of how much he'd have advanced his image by posting:
"Boselli got the better of me once or twice. This hall-of-famer welcomes him to the brotherhood." 

Instead folks are going, "Wow, Bruce is being petty on a high level." 

I would have thought a guy with his level of success wouldn't have enough insecurity to need to comment negatively.

"He whipped my [BLEEP] and I don't want anybody noticing."
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Bruce who?
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(This post was last modified: 06-14-2022, 07:46 PM by Bullseye. Edited 1 time in total.)

A player with Bruce Smith's resume certainly has the right to opine on the players in the NFL, especially those he went up against.

But just because you have the right to do something, it doesn't lessen the obligation to be judicious in doing so.

He looks bad for any number of reasons.

I'll admit I don't have a transcript of everything Boselli has ever said, but I don't think I've ever heard him thump his chest about getting the better of Bruce Smith. The one guy he seemed to get really fired up about beating was Jason Taylor.

Furthermore, Boselli dominated Bruce Smith twice, I can remember late in Bruce Smith's career when he wanted a new contract. I remember irritated Bills fans saying they should put the money behind Boselli, and if he could finally beat him he could get the deal. But Bruce Smith beat Boselli for a sack in the 3rd matchup, the 1998 game wher Doug Flutie won on a bootleg givng the Jaguars their first loss of that season. Thing is, the Jaguars were down to their 5th RB in that game. If you don't have to worry about the run, it's easy for a DE to get better jumps. Explaining away the greatness of a player, especially one who had success against you in multiple games is a fool's errand. It's not as if Bruce Smith was the only guy Boselli dominated. Hall of Famer Jason Taylor? Erased. Hall of Famer Derrick Thomas? A complete non factor against Boselli.

Additionally, what then, are we to make of his introduction/announcement of Boselli into the Hall of Fame? Was he [BLEEP] us then or is he [BLEEP] us now?

Smith voiced his opinion, but plenty of other credible and knowledgeable players have wholly endoresed Boselli's induction into the Hall of Fame, including Munoz, Walter Jones, Jason Taylor, Willie Roaf, and others.

He's coming across like a guy who is butt hurt that people keep throwing Boselli in his face. Taking the sentiment that Boselli dominated Bruce Smith in the absolute worst light possible to Bruce Smith, there is still no questioning Bruce Smith's greatness. But it's disappointing to see him go this route.

He would have been better served saying that Boseli's career was more than that playoff game against Smith, and that emphasizing that game sells Boselli short. Now, he looks embittered.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Making these comment even weirder 1010 made a good point and played the track of Bruce Smith announcing Tony into the hall of fame last February.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Jaguars/comment..._bosellis/
A new broom always sweeps clean.

Offensive line is the most difficult position to judge as they dont have "stats" like every other position. That being said, tony is a beast. There are other players who are in with short careers. It's the nature of the beast. Football is dangerous. What a proud moment to see the jags have their hall of fame player this summer.