Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Responsible enough to vote, but not own a firearm??????

'Squad' Rep. Pressley wants voting age lowered to 16, gun buying age raised to 21

Pressley did not respond to Fox News Digital's request for comment.

"Squad" Rep. Ayanna Pressley wants to lower the voting age to 16 but also wants to raise the age to buy a firearm to 21.
Pressley, a progressive House Democrat, is one of the many members of her ideological wing pushing for the voting age to be lowered to 16.
However, the Massachusetts lawmaker simultaneously wants to raise the age to buy a gun to 21.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/squad-p...-raised-21
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The voting age should not be 16. No way.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

I don't think 18 year olds should vote, either. Most 18 year olds have no real-world experience.

I think the voting age should be at least 21.

(06-18-2022, 08:26 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I don't think 18 year olds should vote, either.  Most 18 year olds have no real-world experience. 

I think the voting age should be at least 21.

We only vote for president every 4 years, so in reality, on average, people are 20 the 1st time they have a chance to vote for president.   I think that works, especially considering that 18 year olds are able bodied to fight in the army or National Guard.

If you're old enough to serve your country you're old enough to vote. Period. If you raise the age to vote you'd better raise the age for enlistment and selective service.

As for voting at 16? Lololol. No.

(This post was last modified: 06-18-2022, 03:14 PM by WingerDinger. Edited 1 time in total.)

(06-18-2022, 01:55 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: If you're old enough to serve your country you're old enough to vote. Period. If you raise the age to vote you'd better raise the age for enlistment and selective service.

Don't you want a bunch of purple haired kids electing our president?

What about the pan-skillet-spaghetti pot sexuals?

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(06-18-2022, 03:11 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(06-18-2022, 01:55 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: If you're old enough to serve your country you're old enough to vote. Period. If you raise the age to vote you'd better raise the age for enlistment and selective service.

Luckily most young people are way too ignorant to understand the power they could hold.

Personally I'd like to see voting and draft age moved to 21. If someone isn't mature enough to handle alcohol they shouldn't be compulsorily put in the position of dying or allowed to decide the direction of the nation. If someone really wants to join the armed forces at 18 that's fine, but they still don't get any special ability to vote or anything, because it would be their choice to join.

(06-18-2022, 05:22 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(06-18-2022, 03:11 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: Don't you want a bunch of purple haired kids electing our president?

Luckily most young people are way too ignorant to understand the power they could hold. that could be irresponsibly given them by adults strictly for the sake of political gain.

Personally I'd like to see voting and draft age moved to 21. If someone isn't mature enough to handle alcohol they shouldn't be compulsorily put in the position of dying or allowed to decide the direction of the nation. If someone really wants to join the armed forces at 18 that's fine, but they still don't get any special ability to vote or anything, because it would be their choice to join.

That’s how I see it.

(06-18-2022, 03:11 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:

LOl, looking forward to working this phraseolgy into my daily conversations.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(06-18-2022, 05:29 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(06-18-2022, 05:22 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: Luckily most young people are way too ignorant to understand the power they could hold. that could be irresponsibly given them by adults strictly for the sake of political gain.

That’s how I see it.

No one has to give it to them, 18 year old people can already vote.

This is absurd, but consider the source. I mean, hell, let's just go all the way here. Gun ownership, voting, selective service, marriage, hunting/fishing license, pilots license, real estate license, all at 16! What could go wrong?
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(06-18-2022, 07:06 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(06-18-2022, 05:29 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: That’s how I see it.

No one has to give it to them, 18 year old people can already vote.

My mistake. I thought you were alluding to 16-year-olds voting.

At this point, I am all for raising the age of adulthood to 21.

(This post was last modified: 06-18-2022, 08:22 PM by mikesez. Edited 3 times in total.)

(06-18-2022, 07:57 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: At this point, I am all for raising the age of adulthood to 21.

We don't have to do everything all at one age.
In fact I think the state might have made a mistake when we eliminated the possibility of 16 year olds getting married.  I think 16 year olds should be allowed to marry people who are 18 or 19, and 17 year olds should be allowed to marry people who are 18, 19, or 20.  Anything older is cradle robbing.  I'd be OK with extending the sliding scale upward.  If someone proposed that an 18 year old should not be allowed to marry a 22 or 23 year old I wouldn't be opposed. If people under age 25 ever get married, it should only be to other young people. These marriages with wild age differences should not be tolerated until both people are at least 25 years of age

(This post was last modified: 06-18-2022, 09:12 PM by The Drifter. Edited 2 times in total.)

(06-18-2022, 08:18 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(06-18-2022, 07:57 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: At this point, I am all for raising the age of adulthood to 21.

We don't have to do everything all at one age.
In fact I think the state might have made a mistake when we eliminated the possibility of 16 year olds getting married.  I think 16 year olds should be allowed to marry people who are 18 or 19, and 17 year olds should be allowed to marry people who are 18, 19, or 20.  Anything older is cradle robbing.  I'd be OK with extending the sliding scale upward.  If someone proposed that an 18 year old should not be allowed to marry a 22 or 23 year old I wouldn't be opposed.  If people under age 25 ever get married, it should only be to other young people. These marriages with wild age differences should not be tolerated until both people are at least 25 years of age

My Mother was 20, and my Father was 27 when they got married so..... If they didn't get married at their age then, I wouldn't be here......... Oh, and they stayed together for life..... My Father passed away December of 2016, my Mother, October of 2019
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

(06-18-2022, 08:59 PM)The Drifter Wrote:
(06-18-2022, 08:18 PM)mikesez Wrote: We don't have to do everything all at one age.
In fact I think the state might have made a mistake when we eliminated the possibility of 16 year olds getting married.  I think 16 year olds should be allowed to marry people who are 18 or 19, and 17 year olds should be allowed to marry people who are 18, 19, or 20.  Anything older is cradle robbing.  I'd be OK with extending the sliding scale upward.  If someone proposed that an 18 year old should not be allowed to marry a 22 or 23 year old I wouldn't be opposed.  If people under age 25 ever get married, it should only be to other young people. These marriages with wild age differences should not be tolerated until both people are at least 25 years of age

My Mother was 20, and my Father was 27 when they got married so..... If they didn't get married at their age then, I wouldn't be here......... Oh, and they stayed together for life..... My Father passed away December of 2016, my Mother, October of 2019

And I have great-grandparents who were first cousins.  Doesn't make it right.
Hey, at least your dad followed the half your age plus 7 rule.  Maybe that should be the rule for 18-25s.  
My wife's  grandparents had a 20+ year age difference but that was a different country where everyone was poor and she was an orphan.  They stayed together til he died but by all accounts he treated her like a child the whole time.  "You better have a clean house and a hot meal for me when I get home or else!"  That kind of thing.  We're not that kind of society anymore. 
At age 25 though, there should be no restriction, marry any age older than you, your brain is mature at that point.