Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
US Open

I've been able to watch almost all of the coverage this year.  It's amazing how many people are still right in the hunt.  My friend was in Vegas last week so we placed a few bets.  At least all of the guys that I picked are still in it.  I put $20 each on Scheffler, Burns, and Spieth (meh).  He put $20 each on Scheffler, Morokawa, Zalatoris, and Varner (cut).
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 06-18-2022, 08:50 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

I've watched more of the Thursday and Friday rounds than any other golf tournament I've ever watched.  Part of it was interest in how those renegade LIV golfers were going to do.  I'm glad most of them (11 out of 15) got cut and the few that made the cut are not in the hunt. 

My interest was also piqued by the very compelling final round of the Canadian Open. 

Right now, there isn't anyone in the top-10 of the leaderboard I don't like.  I really like Morikawa, Rahm, McIlroy, and Scheffler.  Those are 4 of my favorite golfers.  I can't think of anything better than if it all came down to the wire on Sunday with those 4 at the top of the leaderboard.

I've been watching like crazy. Directv offers a mix channel where any of four channels can be monitored or selected to watch a highlighted group or holes 11, 12 and 13. It's great.

I would like to see Morikawa win this one. Tournaments like this are really hard to call. Between the very challenging course and the high pressure, it becomes a crucible that separates the men from the boys. Spieth won't be one. He's become a professional choker.

(06-18-2022, 09:39 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I've been watching like crazy. Directv offers a mix channel where any of four channels can be monitored or selected to watch a highlighted group or holes 11, 12 and 13. It's great.

I would like to see Morikawa win this one. Tournaments like this are really hard to call. Between the very challenging course and the high pressure, it becomes a crucible that separates the men from the boys. Spieth won't be one. He's become a professional choker.

I'm amazed that Spieth is in the top-10 in the world.  My image of him is as you described him.

(06-18-2022, 10:44 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(06-18-2022, 09:39 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I've been watching like crazy. Directv offers a mix channel where any of four channels can be monitored or selected to watch a highlighted group or holes 11, 12 and 13. It's great.

I'm amazed that Spieth is in the top-10 in the world.  My image of him is as you described him.

Spieth has been playing pretty good golf recently.  I think he has 1 win this year (RBC Heritage) and then like 4 top 10s.  He's a bit of a head case (a lot of golfers are) and is obviously struggling with some mechanics in his swing that he's trying to work out, but let's not forget he's also a 3x major champion.

(06-18-2022, 10:44 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

I remember listening to 1010 prior to the 2020 masters (I think it was)  and all the talking heads were piling on Spieth for not living up to his hype.  I was thinking "this seems a little premature for such a young golfer." 

Then he finished in the top 20 in 7 of his next 14 tourneys with 6 of those in the top ten. He later finished 2nd in the British Open in 21. I thought it made those guys appear foolish for bashing him as they did. 

He's got 4 top ten finishes this year but he's still showing lots of inconsistency. Four missed cuts as well. 

As far as choking, he does seem to falter on Sundays a bit when in contention.  I chalk that up to his general inconsistency more than being a choker, but everyone's going to have their own perspective. He seems to overthink his approach shots sometimes and either miss greens or leave himself low percentage putts as a result. When his driver isn't working it gets even worse, and that is inconsistent from week to week.

(06-18-2022, 12:14 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(06-18-2022, 10:44 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I'm amazed that Spieth is in the top-10 in the world.  My image of him is as you described him.

I remember listening to 1010 prior to the 2020 masters (I think it was)  and all the talking heads were piling on Spieth for not living up to his hype.  I was thinking "this seems a little premature for such a young golfer." 

Then he finished in the top 20 in 7 of his next 14 tourneys with 6 of those in the top ten. He later finished 2nd in the British Open in 21. I thought it made those guys appear foolish for bashing him as they did. 

He's got 4 top ten finishes this year but he's still showing lots of inconsistency. Four missed cuts as well. 

As far as choking, he does seem to falter on Sundays a bit when in contention.  I chalk that up to his general inconsistency more than being a choker, but everyone's going to have their own perspective. He seems to overthink his approach shots sometimes and either miss greens or leave himself low percentage putts as a result. When his driver isn't working it gets even worse, and that is inconsistent from week to week.

He used to be one of the top putters on tour. That went south with the rest of his game and it’s a component he seems to have never recovered to the level it was before. The poor guy just got lost in his own head.

The greens are getting slick and fast.

(06-18-2022, 02:00 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(06-18-2022, 12:14 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I remember listening to 1010 prior to the 2020 masters (I think it was)  and all the talking heads were piling on Spieth for not living up to his hype.  I was thinking "this seems a little premature for such a young golfer." 

He used to be one of the top putters on tour. That went south with the rest of his game and it’s a component he seems to have never recovered to the level it was before. The poor guy just got lost in his own head.

Speaking of putters...Finau is an awful putter.  At least that was the case in the 1st and 2nd rounds.

Man, Saturday was brutal. The guys coming off the 18th green looked exhausted and shell-shocked. I love it.

(06-19-2022, 05:33 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Man, Saturday was brutal.  The guys coming off the 18th green looked exhausted and shell-shocked.  I love it.

Morikawa completely imploded.  Scheffler started to, but got it together the last couple of holes to remain within striking distance.  Unfortunately,, I'll be working at the course today and won't see the final round....well, live anyway, i've got the DVR set.

Don’t choke, Will Zalatoris.

Will, you were thatclose.

One of the best golf tournaments I have seen in a long time. The last shot by Fitzpatrick from the fairway bunker on 18 was the shot of the tournament as far as I'm concerned. When he pulled off that shot, with the whole tournament on the line, he deserved to win.

(This post was last modified: 06-20-2022, 07:04 AM by homebiscuit. Edited 1 time in total.)

(06-20-2022, 06:11 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: One of the best golf tournaments I have seen in a long time.  The last shot by Fitzpatrick from the fairway bunker on 18 was the shot of the tournament as far as I'm concerned.  When he pulled off that shot, with the whole tournament on the line, he deserved to win.

It was one of the purest strikes I’ve seen out of a bunker. He absolutely did deserve to win. His brother flew home early because he didn’t think he had a chance of winning.

It was nice to see the younger guns duking it out in the end. This is twice Zalatoris has finished second in a major. He’ll button one up eventually.

(This post was last modified: 06-20-2022, 07:39 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 2 times in total.)

...which begs the question.  This was a 4-day, 72 hole event, half the field cut after day 2 with no pay, and it was very compelling TV.  How can LIV claim to have improved on the way PGA Tour events are run?  How is a 3-day, shotgun start, 54 hole event, with all participants guaranteed a payday, an improvement over this?  I'm drawing a blank on that one.

(06-20-2022, 07:36 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: ...which begs the question.  This was a 4-day, 72 hole event, half the field cut after day 2 with no pay, and it was very compelling TV.  How can LIV claim to have improved on the way PGA Tour events are run?  How is a 3-day, shotgun start, 54 hole event, with all participants guaranteed a payday, an improvement over this?  I'm drawing a blank on that one.

This was a major. Big difference between the coverage and prize money for this and a regular tournament.

(This post was last modified: 06-20-2022, 08:53 AM by KingIngram052787. Edited 1 time in total.)

(06-20-2022, 07:00 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(06-20-2022, 06:11 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: One of the best golf tournaments I have seen in a long time.  The last shot by Fitzpatrick from the fairway bunker on 18 was the shot of the tournament as far as I'm concerned.  When he pulled off that shot, with the whole tournament on the line, he deserved to win.

It was one of the purest strikes I’ve seen out of a bunker. He absolutely did deserve to win. His brother flew home early because he didn’t think he had a chance of winning.

It was nice to see the younger guns duking it out in the end. This is twice Zalatoris has finished second in a major. He’ll button one up eventually.

It's his second time finishing second this year, but his 3rd time.  He finished second in the Masters in 2021, too.

What a great US Open, one of the best in decades.  How Will's putt stayed out of the hole on 18 to force a playoff is unreal, it was in the heart of the cup.

(06-20-2022, 08:53 AM)KingIngram052787 Wrote:
(06-20-2022, 07:00 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: It was one of the purest strikes I’ve seen out of a bunker. He absolutely did deserve to win. His brother flew home early because he didn’t think he had a chance of winning.

It's his second time finishing second this year, but his 3rd time.  He finished second in the Masters in 2021, too.

What a great US Open, one of the best in decades.  How Will's putt stayed out of the hole on 18 to force a playoff is unreal, it was in the heart of the cup.

Okay. I had forgotten about his Masters finish. 

That putt looked online until the last couple of inches. It wasn't the only time putts veered off at the last second. I noticed there was a lumpy donut around a lot those holes. The hazards of playing the marquee group on the last day.

(This post was last modified: 06-20-2022, 11:44 PM by jessepeck1213.)

I'm a huge Will fan. He's my favorite golfer. It was heartbreaking to watch him finish in 2nd two majors in a row.