Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
At what positions or units are the Jags better....

(06-30-2022, 04:49 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(06-28-2022, 05:48 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: My feelings are: 

1) It doesn't matter if Trevor is better than Wentz, or if our defensive line is better than Washington's.  Trevor isn't lining up against Wentz, and our defensive line is not lining up against Washington's defensive line.  

2) In the case of the Jags especially, evaluating any position group is too much of a projection, especially with all the new starters we're going to have out there.  At least half of our starters will be new.  It's a huge roster upgrade, but having that many new starters means they probably won't play very well to start the season.  

3) I think Carson Wentz was scapegoated by Frank Reich in order to deflect blame from Reich for last season's collapse.  When I watch Wentz, I see a decent QB.  The mystery is why this decent QB has now been dumped by two different teams.  Obviously, there's some issue I'm not aware of.

Carson Wentz issues are mental imo. In the same way I felt about Blake Bortles for years, he just seems like a regular guy and all of this is a little over his head. He's got the talent to be great, he's shown it. The problem is he continously makes silly errors that make you think he's feeling some sort of pressure that's too much for him.

Carson Wentz is the Ron Weasley of QB's. He is great when he feels lucky, not thinking about things, or on roll. But given that 2 teams have given up on him and few players have stood up for him, he doensn't act like a level-headed leader and he mopes around most of the time. He even has the red hair.

(07-01-2022, 06:18 PM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(06-30-2022, 06:26 AM)RicoTx Wrote: You're ridiculous dude.

CJB is taking a position. There are some merits to his statements TBH. Lawrence did not have a great year last year period paragraph. Coaching contributed to that, sure. There are still valid reasons for concern. His accuracy and touch need *a lot* of work. On the other hand, he's pretty good with factors like pocket awareness and improvisation. He also made a few throws that made you say wow. And that arm though.

I honestly expected most of this, he was a rookie with some known flaws. I do expect him to take a huge step forward this year but there's probably still going to be situations with accuracy where we're left scratching our heads. Ultimately, my bet is he'll be a top 10, maybe a top 5 QB even if he never turns into the generational talent that some where thinking he might be. For the Jags, that's progress!

My only issue is that it feels CJB has gone way too far to an extreme on his point. Lawrence was touted as the one of the best prospects. Prospect; no one who actually watches football or in the weeds expected him to walk in the door and lead a team to the playoffs. Especially after playing in an easy read offense with better athletes than most other college teams, and dealing with the practice and development limitations of a '19-00 college COVID season. Add in the nonsense of a UM rookie season, there should have been some expectation that he was going to make mistakes, and have a downturn in his development progress. 

The thing is that Lawrence has been the best "hope" this franchise has had in basically 20 years. Yes, that can blind people at times, but to CJB seems to want to just destroy the heart of the hope on this board instead of just having people take a step back and not rush to conclusions.

Also CJB has yet to point out a better option for the team to have taken? I haven't heard him really pound on the table that the Jags to have traded down and drafted Mac/Mills/Trey etc. I also don't really remember him the years before banging the table to trade up to get Herbert or Burrow (CJB, if you did do things, I'll retract this but I don't recall it.) He is not currently banging on the table to tank this year for a '23 QB. 

We all know the risks of developing Lawrence, but there isn't a better plan going forward. It's as if CBJ just wants us to be prepared for soft fall instead of enjoying the hope we have while we can have it.

(07-23-2022, 10:31 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: If you haven’t noticed, Bullseye is our adult in the room.

I also always picture and hear Bullseye's posts as if spoken like Jules. I never want to hear his actual voice and spoil that impression (What" ain't no country I've ever heard of. They speak English in What?"

Messages In This Thread
Copycat - by copycat - 07-23-2022, 10:39 AM
RE: Copycat - by MarleyJag - 07-24-2022, 02:14 PM
RE: At what positions or units are the Jags better.... - by rpr52121 - 07-24-2022, 01:17 AM