Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Who becomes the primary LG in 2022?
This poll is closed.
Bartch
59.79%
58 59.79%
Taylor
15.46%
15 15.46%
Little
9.28%
9 9.28%
Fortner
3.09%
3 3.09%
Shatley
10.31%
10 10.31%
Other
2.06%
2 2.06%
Total 97 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Left Guard 2022

(07-11-2022, 10:32 PM)NH3 Wrote:
(07-05-2022, 09:48 AM)Kane Wrote: Ideally the line goes Taylor, Bartch, Fortner, Scherff, Little.
But looking at this list and I'm weary of our depth. Outside of Shat do we have anyone that won't make us groan if and when there's an injury to the OL this year.

We agree to disagree on the LT position.

NH3...

He meant Robinson at LT not Taylor. It's upthread where he updated it.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

https://twitter.com/PriscoCBS/status/155...7WbszakhFA

Robinson/Bartch/Fortner/Scherff/Little 

Could be a truly new era for the Jags OL

(07-25-2022, 11:49 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: https://twitter.com/PriscoCBS/status/155...7WbszakhFA

Way too soon for this tweet.

Not regarding Fortner at C being more athletic, but the first part about the line being better no matter who starts.  That is not necessarily true.

If Jawaan Taylor starts at RT, that would be a setback to the OL, especially in pass protection.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(07-25-2022, 11:52 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(07-25-2022, 11:49 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: https://twitter.com/PriscoCBS/status/155...7WbszakhFA

Way too soon for this tweet.

Not regarding Fortner at C being more athletic, but the first part about the line being better no matter who starts.  That is not necessarily true.

If Jawaan Taylor starts at RT, that would be a setback to the OL, especially in pass protection.

I don't disagree 

Prisco's tweets from Jags camp today seemed to come after at least 3 kool-aid cocktails had been consumed
He was unusually upbeat 

Though - there have been some reports on the new OL coach,  Rauscher, having an impact on the line already. FWIW

Adding Sherff makes the line better no matter who starts the other 4 positions.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(07-26-2022, 12:05 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(07-25-2022, 11:52 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Way too soon for this tweet.

I don't disagree 

Prisco's tweets from Jags camp today seemed to come after at least 3 kool-aid cocktails had been consumed
He was unusually upbeat 

Though - there have been some reports on the new OL coach,  Rauscher, having an impact on the line already. FWIW

Do I hope like hell Prisco is right?

Absolutely.

I'm wondering how much better Shatley is at G vs. Bartch.  Shatley has always given us good snaps when he has had to play for Linder.  Will he be more physical than Bartch?

If Shatley is a substantial upgrade over Bartch, Fortner can approximate Linder's level of play while being more athletic and durable, and Scherff plays up to his usual standards, then certainly the interior three can be improved.  But RT remains my primary concern in the OL.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Sounds like Shatley is running at LG. Personally I'd rather kick Taylor in there.
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

Fortner is 24 years old and played over 50 SEC games. He's one of the few linemen I've seen come through who actually looks matured enough to be a Day 1 starter. He's also got 2 Master degrees and is a mechanical engineer. I think he's got the brains and the brawn to do the job immediately.

(07-27-2022, 09:30 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Fortner is 24 years old and played over 50 SEC games. He's one of the few linemen I've seen come through who actually looks matured enough to be a Day 1 starter. He's also got 2 Master degrees and is a mechanical engineer. I think he's got the brains and the brawn to do the job immediately.

His only apparent flaw they say is arms shorter than ideal. If that's it, we got a steal.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Even if Fortner doesn't win the center job in camp, let him learn and develop to become the starter there. I'm sure he can handle LG also, but it's better for him to focus on center.

Robinson Shatley Fortner Scherff Taylor

I'd like to see little in there some how even though I wish Taylor could make a great come back. I still remember his dumb penalties and him getting abused a bit.

(07-27-2022, 09:44 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Robinson Shatley Fortner Scherff Taylor

The only hangup I have with this lineup is that injury may doubly deplete your depth. Imagine if on a pile Shatley turns an ankle, or worse. Bartch comes in, but if anything happens to Fortner, what is the option at C?

I'm sure if Shatley is getting high number of reps at LG Bartch is getting some reps in as backup C.

McDermott is the backup C.

I think you all miss the central thing here and that's that the new coaching staff aren't high on Bartch.

I just wanna see little in the starting lineup

(This post was last modified: 07-29-2022, 01:37 PM by Caldrac.)

Little I think will inevitably land the starting job at RT. I also echo Mikey's concerns with the Center position and injuries. I was high on Fortner during the draft. I think he's a steal as well. However, playing your proven starter from last year at another position is going to set you up for some dangerous waters if an injury does come up. I don't know much about McDermott but I know what we have in Shatley there already.

Would feel more comfortable with Little/Taylor duking it out for RT and the loser settles in over at Guard or something to that effect. Scherff is a major upgrade as well but he's still notorious for getting injuries and missing extensive playing time. Again, we'll see what happens when those pads go on this weekend. That's the real test for the guys playing in the trenches. I am not concerned with Fortner's T-Rex arms at that position neither. Just concerned with how the depth shakes out over a full 17 game stretch.

(07-29-2022, 12:43 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote: McDermott is the backup C.

I think you all miss the central thing here and that's that the new coaching staff aren't high on Bartch.

What's been the knock on him? I know he was a small school prospect. At one point though I swore I heard Lageman singing that kids praises last year late in November or December as far as being the improved guy he had seen from that group.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(07-29-2022, 01:35 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(07-29-2022, 12:43 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote: McDermott is the backup C.

What's been the knock on him? I know he was a small school prospect. At one point though I swore I heard Lageman singing that kids praises last year late in November or December as far as being the improved guy he had seen from that group.

W/r/t Bartch, if I had to suppose anything that soured coaching it might be that his ceiling is either lower or they feel he's plateau'd? Pure speculation on my part, but if they are either seeking others to take his place, or others are pushing him down the depth chart, that might put him under some pressure to show up this preseason. I can't say I saw any glaring weakness in his game, it may just be that Shatley has more experience, takes better to the new coaching, or something else. Hopefully it's a good sign that we have a steady group of capable men and not that Bartch is backsliding.

From Shipley's summary of yesterday's practice:

Quote:Ben Bartch got a handful of reps with the first-team offense at left guard. Tyler Shatley got the majority of reps by far, but this was the first time we have seen Bartch with the 1s.
Speaking of Bartch, he was also seen taking snaps with quarterbacks during the opening periods of practice. He has practiced at center in the past and it makes sense for the Jaguars to see what he can do there after K.C. McDermott's snap issues earlier this week.

LG certainly seems to be Shatley's as of now

Backup center appears up for grabs

Bartch came in as an athletic small school tackle. Two years of Warhop trying to turn him into a guard might've ended whatever change he had.