Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Supreme Court Deals Major Blow to EPA Power

It's about time we put the brakes on unelected Government officials.... get rid of all those useless agencies and do you freaking job Congress........

Supreme Court Deals Major Blow to EPA Power

The Supreme Court on Thursday handed down a 6-3 decision in West Virginia v. EPA that denied the EPA's authority to enact sweeping regulations for greenhouse gases that would "decarbonize" American energy under the Clean Air Act.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/spencerbro...ESAYVF-fIU
Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

On the fence with this one. On the one hand, it's a good thing to have policy enacted by elected officials, i.e, Congress. On the other hand, this may slow policy implementation for the same reason. Congress will have to work harder now, and be better versed on a variety of issues that may not even affect their states, i.e., fracking, It'll be interesting to see how far this trickles down to other agencies.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(06-30-2022, 10:54 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: On the fence with this one.  On the one hand, it's a good thing to have policy enacted by elected officials, i.e, Congress.  On the other hand, this may slow policy implementation for the same reason.  Congress will have to work harder now, and be better versed on a variety of issues that may not even affect their states, i.e., fracking,  It'll be interesting to see how far this trickles down to other agencies.

It's the correct decision.  We need to elect congress people who have a sense of urgency and promise to actually put in a lot of work.  Instead we elect people who think their job is to grandstand and gum up the works. And too many people misunderstand what small government means.  Officials in a small government has to work just as hard as a big government. Whether the government intends to regulate things loosely or tightly, the work of enforcement and updating is just as hard, and competent people are needed.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(06-30-2022, 10:54 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: On the fence with this one.  On the one hand, it's a good thing to have policy enacted by elected officials, i.e, Congress.  On the other hand, this may slow policy implementation for the same reason.  Congress will have to work harder now, and be better versed on a variety of issues that may not even affect their states, i.e., fracking,  It'll be interesting to see how far this trickles down to other agencies.

(06-30-2022, 11:41 AM)mikesez Wrote: It's the correct decision.  We need to elect congress people who have a sense of urgency and promise to actually put in a lot of work.  Instead we elect people who think their job is to grandstand and gum up the works. And too many people misunderstand what small government means.  Officials in a small government has to work just as hard as a big government. Whether the government intends to regulate things loosely or tightly, the work of enforcement and updating is just as hard, and competent people are needed.

Right now this just affects the EPA and the small regulation. It does sound like the court would rule though that all powers given away by Congress to agencies would be illegal but they did not just out right rule that way.

What this does is push the power back to the people and the States. Now instead of constantly changing rules, either Congress has to pass laws or the States have the power to enact their own laws. Now we just need a few more lawsuits to push the larger question instead of the specific question they answered here.

(06-30-2022, 12:17 PM)p_rushing Wrote:

(06-30-2022, 11:41 AM)mikesez Wrote: It's the correct decision.  We need to elect congress people who have a sense of urgency and promise to actually put in a lot of work.  Instead we elect people who think their job is to grandstand and gum up the works. And too many people misunderstand what small government means.  Officials in a small government has to work just as hard as a big government. Whether the government intends to regulate things loosely or tightly, the work of enforcement and updating is just as hard, and competent people are needed.

Right now this just affects the EPA and the small regulation. It does sound like the court would rule though that all powers given away by Congress to agencies would be illegal but they did not just out right rule that way.

What this does is push the power back to the people and the States. Now instead of constantly changing rules, either Congress has to pass laws or the States have the power to enact their own laws. Now we just need a few more lawsuits to push the larger question instead of the specific question they answered here.

This is exactly what I was hoping would happen and what needed to happen. There are way too many federal level alphabet agencies in charge of way too many things that directly affect us run by people we did not elect. About 2/3 of those agencies are redundant and unnecessary. God forbid the folks we elect actually have to work like the rest of us. 

If it slows policy as NJC pointed out then we know who is stalling and we can either hold them accountable or we can elect them out. Politicians need to remember who they work for. Oh wait, that's a pipe dream. They don't work for us they work for corporations and lobbyists.

I remember watching an interview with Kevin Spacey when House of Cards came out. He was asked if DC politics is as nasty as it is portrayed in the show. He said he got a lesson in how bad it is when he spent time there to prepare for the role. It's every bit as nasty. That's so disconcerting.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!