Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
USC, UCLA poised to leave Pac-10 as early as 2024

Huge grab of the entire LA market. This will be the death of this conference, unless they work a merger with the Big 12 or ACC.  Thoughts?
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

1st item of clarification for anyone thinking FSU or Clemson jumps ship from the ACC. Their contracts run through 2036 so don't look for the ACC to be impacted unless they choose to add teams which is likely not the case considering they are doing away with the division alignment next year.

Back to USC and UCLA ---crazy to think their baseball, softball, volleyball, swimming, lacrosse, etc teams will be flying across the country on school weeknights to play Penn State, Rutgers, OSU, Michigan, Maryland, etc. So much for academics.

I'm a person that likes newness --- the nuance of USC vs Iowa but give me USC vs Stanford any day of the week --- traditional rivalries are what make college football. I love the Oklahoma and Texas move because they fit right in with that Tex A&M, Bama, Auburn, TN craziness of college football, but the logistics of USC and UCLA traveling east so much has me bewildered ... but I will look forward to USC v OSU and games such as that (although they will likely be in the west division and play Wisc, Iowa, and Nebraska annually.

This is the first step to making D0 happen.

Sorry, second step. I guess you could say Oklahoma and Terxus heading to SEC country was the first step. Eventually the B10 powers and the SEC powers will secede and merge, and we'll have a superconference riddled with Blue Chips, and everyone else. Then the NCAA will wonder why nobody watches CFB anymore.

Can't wait for those west coast teams griping about 10AM kickoffs. Welcome to Iowa, suckers!

(This post was last modified: 07-01-2022, 08:52 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(07-01-2022, 08:26 AM)Mikey Wrote: This is the first step to making D0 happen.

Sorry, second step. I guess you could say Oklahoma and Texas heading to SEC country was the first step. Eventually the B10 powers and the SEC powers will secede and merge, and we'll have a superconference riddled with Blue Chips, and everyone else. Then the NCAA will wonder why nobody watches CFB anymore.

Can't wait for those west coast teams griping about 10AM kickoffs. Welcome to Iowa, suckers!

I fear the NIL killing college football more so that this.  Personally, I think think there should be a DIV 1a and Div1b system in which the non-power 5 (or future non-power3) have their own playoff system.  Imagine a 16 team playoff that would include the teams that are left out of this major realignment in the future Pac10 and Big12 and MAC and other conferences.  That would be pretty interesting.

(07-01-2022, 08:52 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:

Sorry, second step. I guess you could say Oklahoma and Texas heading to SEC country was the first step. Eventually the B10 powers and the SEC powers will secede and merge, and we'll have a superconference riddled with Blue Chips, and everyone else. Then the NCAA will wonder why nobody watches CFB anymore.

I fear the NIL killing college football more so that this.  Personally, I think think there should be a DIV 1a and Div1b system in which the non-power 5 (or future non-power3) have their own playoff system.  Imagine a 16 team playoff that would include the teams that are left out of this major realignment in the future Pac10 and Big12 and MAC and other conferences.  That would be pretty interesting.

College football will survive in some form or the other. The issue I wonder about is the future of other college sports.

If most of the money follows the big schools and their football programs, how do the majority of schools afford sports scholarships for all their other athletes, etc? Or do most colleges/universities go the Ivy League route and stop offering sports scholarships?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(07-01-2022, 12:13 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(07-01-2022, 08:52 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: I fear the NIL killing college football more so that this.  Personally, I think think there should be a DIV 1a and Div1b system in which the non-power 5 (or future non-power3) have their own playoff system.  Imagine a 16 team playoff that would include the teams that are left out of this major realignment in the future Pac10 and Big12 and MAC and other conferences.  That would be pretty interesting.

College football will survive in some form or the other. The issue I wonder about is the future of other college sports.

If most of the money follows the big schools and their football programs, how do the majority of schools afford sports scholarships for all their other athletes, etc? Or do most colleges/universities go the Ivy League route and stop offering sports scholarships?

The only other college sport that really generates income is basketball and all a team needs is to pay a couple of 5-star players to be elite and I'm most certain schools like Kentucky and now Auburn are already doing that.  Perhaps a school like PSU or Iowa could go after some elite wrestlers or a few universities pay some baseball pitchers but that wouldn't have much impact.   Oddly enough, USC and UCLA intend to remain in the PAC 10 with regard to a few of their sports --- If I ran the PAC 10, I'd state all or nothing.

(This post was last modified: 07-11-2022, 03:20 PM by Jag149. Edited 1 time in total.)

(07-01-2022, 08:52 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:

Yep there is a Div1a forming now. So far it is the Big10 and SEC.  Actually they could leave the voluntary organization called the NCAA and be just fine on their own. As time goes by their teams will be 50-75 million per year ahead of all the other teams. Currently I really only see ND as a lock to be included.  Problem is there are very few schools left that can add the value to the other member schools to get included.  Mr Knight is finding that out as he dials around on the behalf of Oregon.  (In the end FSU may be looking back at the time they stiffed the SEC using their approval to join to get into the ACC as a bad decision after all.)
A new broom always sweeps clean.