Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Schools told that gay teachers may not show pictures of same sex spouses in classroom

Teachers in Orange County, Florida are being told to scrape rainbow stickers off doors and windows, take photos of their families off their desks if they have a same-sex spouse, and are being directed to report if a student comes out as LGBTQ, as Governor Ron DeSantis‘ “Don’t Say Gay” law goes into effect July 1, according to a teachers’ organization.

First of all, that sounds a lot like "DON'T SAY GAY" and if straight teachers can have pictures of their loved ones and family then gay teachers should be able to as well. While I agree the rainbow crap needs to go, pictures of people that you love are off limits...

I do not agree that that gay Florida Teachers should take down their family photos. It comes across as punitive, mean and discriminatory. There has to be some middle ground on this. There will be lawsuits. I don't want anyone teaching my kids sexual stuff, but this goes too far IMHO...

I don't hate gay people, that was never my point. Just let kids be kids for Gods sake...
Thoughts?
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I mean, at this point, why even send your kids to public schools anymore? I understand that some parents are pretty much forced to because of their financial situations or can't home-school, but come on lolol. It's the public school system lol, they don't give a rats behind about your kid's education anyway lol. All they want is to ensure that their propaganda is heard and spread. They don't even teach cursive writing anymore. I signed my name to a document recently and got looked at funny because it wasn't in 3rd grade red crayon print.
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(This post was last modified: 06-30-2022, 07:23 PM by NewJagsCity. Edited 9 times in total.)

If they have thier own offices, then I would say this is out of bounds. Personally, I think pictures in offices and on the desk are unnecessary anyway. You're supposed to be there to work, not display or get distracted by pictures. But if it's in a private office, then people should be able to display what they want if its allowed, as long as it's in good taste. Maybe pictures of Jim and Joe in Speedos clinging on to each other at Cabo, or thier latest weekend partying in Provincetown or Fire Island shouldn't make the cut. Or Marie and Kim lip locking at SheFest. Or displaying a photo of Biden or Trump. Or the latest twerking pic from Britney. All in bad taste.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(This post was last modified: 06-30-2022, 06:47 PM by Ronster. Edited 1 time in total.)

Hopefully they will fix this, it may just be a case of over correction. No way this stands up on a court of law.

We all have friends and family that are gay, genuinely gay.. and we love them, no way any of us want too hurt them. I will fight against that.
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

(This post was last modified: 06-30-2022, 06:49 PM by mikesez. Edited 1 time in total.)

My 9 year old still does not seem to be aware that some people are married to the same sex. She's seen contestants on game shows mention that they have a same sex partner but I think it went over her head each time. She will find out at some point but I'm in no rush. I agree that if there will be a rule about photos on desks, it should apply equally to heterosexual and homosexual couples. The law is supposed to be about instruction only. Answering the question of "who is in that photo" with "my best friend" is truth, but not the complete truth, and also not instruction. Kids don't need the whole truth.

I suspect that because Orange county was so against this law in the first place, they are going above and beyond in their enforcement, hoping it will create a backlash against the governor and the legislature.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(06-30-2022, 06:48 PM)mikesez Wrote: My 9 year old still does not seem to be aware that some people are married to the same sex.  She's seen contestants on game shows mention that they have a same sex partner but I think it went over her head each time. She will find out at some point but I'm in no rush.  I agree that if there will be a rule about photos on desks, it should apply equally to heterosexual and homosexual couples.  The law is supposed to be about instruction only.  Answering the question of "who is in that photo" with "my best friend" is truth, but not the complete truth, and also not instruction.  Kids don't need the whole truth. 

I suspect that because Orange county was so against this law in the first place, they are going above and beyond in their enforcement, hoping it will create a backlash against the governor and the legislature.

Damn it, I hate to say it, but all of this is correct. 

I feel dirty now…

OK, I know a few Gay, Trans, Bi people etc...... And the ones i know do not have an agenda or force thier sexuality/views down other peoples throats....... It's these militant ones that have more or less taken over in the classrooms and in other positions of authority that want to ram it down the collective throats of everyone else that I can't stand...... Shut up all ready...... I've found that if you let other people live their lives without trying to force your views on others (This goes for the militant/radiacl christians to), they'll let you go about your business and live your live the way you see fit to live it.
Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

Are you sure they can't have pictures of their loved ones? Seems like a pretty open and shut case of a violation of rights... especially if heterosexual couples can do that.

(06-30-2022, 10:24 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Are you sure they can't have pictures of their loved ones? Seems like a pretty open and shut case of a violation of rights... especially if heterosexual couples can do that.
There's nothing in the law about that.

Teachers shouldn't have family pictures in a classroom, it isn't an office.

I'm guessing they don't want pictures there because they can't help but share their life story if a kid asks them. So to keep them from oversharing remove everything. It's really how it should be anyways. Kids shouldn't know their teacher's life story or whatever they do outside of school. Just teach the lesson plan.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

I don't ever recall seeing personal pictures in classrooms. I just knew if a woman had Mrs before her name she was married, otherwise she was single. Either way I didn't care.