Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
PFF ranks jags roster 28th in the league

Well we are bad until proven otherwise...

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-roster-rank...lineup#JAX
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I'll wait until August 30th when rosters are cut down to 53, seems appropriate to rank rosters then.

Sounds about right. Not nearly enough upgrades to the worst offense in the league for it to be otherwise.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

My sense is they're better than that but probably not too much. I'd have to take a closer look at *all* the other teams but I'd guess we at least won't be the worst offense in the AFC South with the tinhorns holding that dubious distinction.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

This is a pointless article. PFF's whole model is assessing past performance.

Predicting how a team will do this year would take in a lot more inputs than just rating how players did last year. It would require looking through the data set to see what peaks may be -- how often they occurred and when. And vice versa for slumps.

It would require some model of growth for rookies and young players probably proportional to draft status or or some other information. Mainly because everyone in the NFL expects a player like Lawrence to improve much more than a QB was drafted in the 4th or 5th round. It would require some analysis into how coaches might game plan different or how a new coach's system may work with the new crew of players. It would require model inputs on how players respond after injury or how do do not, base on position, age, and type of injury.

And those are just a few pieces that would need to be use predict how a good a roster/team will be for an upcoming season. All this ranking does is say "the players on the team performed to this level in prior seasons". It is the starting point for ranking 2022 rosters, but is basically meaningless beyond that.

New HC
New DC and OC
New scheme for a 2nd year QB who was completely and utterly thrown to the wolves by idiots as a rookie
New first round edge rusher to compliment a counterpart who has played well when he has a worthy counterpart
New Nose Tackle who was the 3rd highest graded interior run defender in the league (according to this article's source)
New ILB free agent who led the league in tackles last year
New ILB rookie who looks the part in every way
New NB/CB who is widely respected
New rotational DL players who all look like upgrades on paper to prior depth
New RG
New OL contenders for RT and C - who will be upgraded depth at the very least
New big slot receiver who fits the scheme and posted 900+ yards rec last year
New contenders at X and Z that have shown better hands and/or separation than last years players there
New RB with speed and receiving ability that missed his rookie year to injury
New power-back/depth RB who has also shown excellent receiving skill in OTAs
New F tight end who has big play ability

Man, that's a boatload of "new"

How in the hell do you predict what that much new is going to do?

It's just impossible.

Beyond that, we can consider the PFF grading system that called Fatukasi the 3rd best interior DL vs the run last year but also grade him out at 61.5. Their grades are nebulous at best.

I'm very comfortable taking a wait and see approach with this new roster and staff. Much has been done, and it will take a few weeks of real games to let it gel. I think middle-of-the-pack is much more probable outcome than 28th when the dust settles.

Kind of like madden. Jags will be rated bad unless and until they show and tell on the field starting in September.

Did they rank the starters or the entire roster? As per the thread title, the ranking reflects the roster. As per this article, the ranking reflects our starting 11 on both sides of the ball. Nevertheless, I'll wait until the 53-Man roster is final before I consider rankings.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(This post was last modified: 07-05-2022, 09:54 AM by NewJagsCity. Edited 1 time in total.)

As others have said, pointless until the final roster is determined. Assuming we can guess that, I'd say its still pretty close, maybe 2 spots too low. Probably more like 26th. A bad roster doesn't necessarily mean a good coaching staff cant coach them to an extra win or two.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

I think the only way you can say we aren't 32nd (currently) is based on our RBs (who are coming off injury) and the projection of our QB and Rookies... we're 32nd until proven otherwise is what i'm trying to say. It's not like we added a bunch of proven vets or have a rookie/young guy coming off an insane first or second season.

(07-05-2022, 12:06 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: I think the only way you can say we aren't 32nd (currently) is based on our RBs (who are coming off injury) and the projection of our QB and Rookies... we're 32nd until proven otherwise is what i'm trying to say. It's not like we added a bunch of proven vets or have a rookie/young guy coming off an insane first or second season.

The QB and OL were definitely better than 32nd last year; I don't see why they shouldn't improve this year. The wide receivers and TEs are going to have to integrate to a new scheme but on paper are certainly better than 32nd. The RBs are actually probably the biggest question mark with the injuries. If they're healthy they're reasonably in the middle of the pack, league-wide.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

If I had to grade right now I would say the mid 20's. How the QB develops and the young talent will raise or drop that number.

(This post was last modified: 07-05-2022, 08:56 PM by Kane.)

The team that has had the 1st overall pick two years in a row not being ranked 32nd is saying something.

(07-05-2022, 12:06 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: I think the only way you can say we aren't 32nd (currently) is based on our RBs (who are coming off injury) and the projection of our QB and Rookies... we're 32nd until proven otherwise is what i'm trying to say. It's not like we added a bunch of proven vets or have a rookie/young guy coming off an insane first or second season.

You need to remove 3 letters from the middle of your username.

Just a pig-ignorant post.

Oddly enough, the Texans outscored the Jags 67-37 last year (when everyone considered them as tanking) but for some reason people see the Texans as the worst team in the league year after year.

(07-06-2022, 02:49 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Oddly enough, the Texans outscored the Jags 67-37 last year (when everyone considered them as tanking) but for some reason people see the Texans as the worst team in the league year after year.

The Jags have a trend of going underneath the lowest bar.

(07-06-2022, 02:49 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Oddly enough, the Texans outscored the Jags 67-37 last year (when everyone considered them as tanking) but for some reason people see the Texans as the worst team in the league year after year.

Honestly the Texans did have the worst team from a talent standpoint.  The Jags were just unprepared and mismanaged.

It'll be a top 16 roster overall going into next year with this coaching staff.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Time to prove em wrong