Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Defensive Tackle & Nose Tackle under DC, Mike Caldwell

Mike Caldwell seems mostly committed to not committing to a particular defensive scheme.

He espouses fitting his scheme to his talent and keeps his cards close to his vest. Obviously we will see some looks from these guys in about a month in preseason action - so we'll have at least some feel for how much 3-4 vs 4-3 they want to play.

Quick Sidebar - If you are looking to get a feel for Caldwell's personality, this video is pretty cool:
https://www.jaguars.com/video/dc-mike-ca...le-jaguars

That said, the team acquired a one technique run stuffer in Foley Fatukasi in free agency who will likely play the 1-tech/NT spot in either look when they field their run defense packages. 

Other 1-tech (nose tackle) players include Davon Hamilton and Malcolm Brown (with Tufele as an honorable mention in development.)

When defending the run in a 3-4 look these "big uglies" could be used as 3-4 DE alongside the nose when they want a heavy set. 
There are several other players eligible to play those positions as well. 
(Goths, RRH, Smoot, Tufele) 

In any 4-3 looks they deploy, the combinations of one-tech and three-tech DTs are almost endless. Lots of different guys to plug in and rotate.

Regarding pass defense packages - I personally think Hamilton and Brown will be looked to more than Fatukasi to man the one-tech spot to provide interior pressure in the pass rush. That applies to 3-4 and 4-3 looks IMO. 

It's my opinion that if they do indeed keep some 3-4 looks working on 2nd and 3rd down pass situations, they could create some havoc with Walker and Allen at OLB and an interior of Smoot/Hamilton/Key - or something like that. Arden Key has some experience sliding inside as a pass rusher and I'd like to see him get a look that way. We've seen Smoot do it fairly well and we've seen flashes from Hamilton pressuring up the middle, so that personnel makes sense to me. 

I'm curious as to how you fellow fans see this defensive interior front shaping up. 
Lots of ways to skin this cat.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/jetsxfactor...-film/amp/

Here's a good read on how folo has progressed as a pass rusher. He might not be off the field for passing situations.

(07-13-2022, 01:41 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: https://www.google.com/amp/s/jetsxfactor...-film/amp/

Here's a good read on how folo has progressed as a pass rusher. He might not be off the field for passing situations.

Thanks for that. 
I read another article suggesting he may be viable as a pass rusher as well. 

My current take on it is that 

A- Jags were really bad vs run - he's legit good vs run - so you know he's getting those snaps
B- If the new staff sees promise in Hamilton as an interior pass rusher, he'll at least spell Fatukasi there - taking some of those snaps
C - Brown had some pressures from the inside as well last season

Not sure how that all adds up, but we know NT is a heavily rotated position to keep fresh legs on the field, so it will be interesting to see how they spread out these snaps

Hopefully Fatukasi is indeed more than just a run stuffer. More versatility in the front 7 is always a plus.

I like the interior DL, as there are 6 solid players (RRH, Hamilton, Fotukasi, Tufele, Gotsis, and Hamilton) to provide an advantageous rotation to keep the big guys fresh and give scheme versatility. Guys like Key and Smoot give the interior a solid lightning package for 3rd and long downs.

(07-13-2022, 02:38 PM)ATLjag Wrote: I like the interior DL, as there are 6 solid players (RRH, Hamilton, Fotukasi, Tufele, Gotsis, and Hamilton) to provide an advantageous rotation to keep the big guys fresh and give scheme versatility.  Guys like Key and Smoot give the interior a solid lightning package for 3rd and long downs.

Same. Our Dline is going to be solid. We will know once Tennessee pulls up.

(07-13-2022, 02:38 PM)ATLjag Wrote: I like the interior DL, as there are 6 solid players (RRH, Hamilton, Fotukasi, Tufele, Gotsis, and Hamilton) to provide an advantageous rotation to keep the big guys fresh and give scheme versatility.  Guys like Key and Smoot give the interior a solid lightning package for 3rd and long downs.

The interior of your Dline will be tested early this season right from the start cause the Commanders will run between the tackles early and often then is bombs away with all that speed we have at WR..Our projected starting 3 WR are all sub 4.4 guys...Go Commmanders

(07-14-2022, 12:41 AM)TheLeadCommander Wrote:

The interior of your Dline will be tested early this season right from the start cause the Commanders will run between the tackles early and often then is bombs away with all that speed we have at WR..Our projected starting 3 WR are all sub 4.4 guys...Go Commmanders

The Jags have Derrick Henry and Jonathan Taylor in their division. 
Gibson and McKissic are not daunting by comparison. 

It was no accident the Jags added the 3rd highest graded interior run defender (Fatukasi) , the leading tackler in the league at ILB (Oluokun), and drafted yet another stud ILB (Lloyd) at #27 overall. 
The new defensive coordinator for the Jags was also the ILB coach for the team who finished #1 and #3 versus the run tin 2020 and 2021 respectively - So scheming against your run game is not an issue. 

Running on the 2022 Jags between the tackles will be tougher than it used to be before these additions. Gibson/Mckissic should have their work cut out for them.

It’s not who you play, but when you play them.  The Commies are fortunate to be the first test out of the gate with all the new on the roster.  Then again, you could be unwittingly walking straight into an oncoming train.  

Toot toot, [BLEEP].

I don't trust the Redacteds to do anything right.

(07-13-2022, 10:56 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: ...

Regarding pass defense packages - I personally think Hamilton and Brown will be looked to more than Fatukasi to man the one-tech spot to provide interior pressure in the pass rush. That applies to 3-4 and 4-3 looks IMO. 

It's my opinion that if they do indeed keep some 3-4 looks working on 2nd and 3rd down pass situations, they could create some havoc with Walker and Allen at OLB and an interior of Smoot/Hamilton/Key - or something like that. Arden Key has some experience sliding inside as a pass rusher and I'd like to see him get a look that way. We've seen Smoot do it fairly well and we've seen flashes from Hamilton pressuring up the middle, so that personnel makes sense to me. 

I'm curious as to how you fellow fans see this defensive interior front shaping up. 

regarding the bolded:
Looks like one nickel look could indeed be a 4 man front with 4 of the 5 players mentioned above

https://twitter.com/JStCyrTV/status/1552...chREmJhw1w

https://twitter.com/JStCyrTV/status/1552...chREmJhw1w

(This post was last modified: 08-01-2022, 09:31 PM by Jagsman.)

(08-01-2022, 08:37 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: https://twitter.com/Demetrius82/status/1...XFXDAWSlNA

Hamilton absolutely plowed through whoever was at center, that was very impressive.

(08-01-2022, 09:31 PM)Jagsman Wrote:
(08-01-2022, 08:37 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: https://twitter.com/Demetrius82/status/1...XFXDAWSlNA

Hamilton absolutely plowed through whoever was at center, that was very impressive.

It was Fortner who Hamilton straight up [BLEEP].

Another shot of it
https://twitter.com/JStCyrTV/status/1554112144899186689

(This post was last modified: 08-02-2022, 02:50 AM by ChrisJagBoy. Edited 1 time in total.)

(08-01-2022, 09:31 PM)Jagsman Wrote:

It was Fortner.. so for the time being it doesn't mean much. Kinda a throwback to Jalen Ramseys rookie season where Arob got that double step on him in camp and made him look silly.

In retrospect, JR shuts down AR15 24/7... but you know, rookie.

If you didn't know what the hell im talking about: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/sD6Z717NMjM

What happened to Hamilton last year? I remember in preseason he was touted as a rising star on our defense. But I don't remember him making much of an impact. Was it just the Urban Meyer disfunction? Was he injured?

(08-02-2022, 05:18 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: What happened to Hamilton last year?  I remember in preseason he was touted as a rising star on our defense.  But I don't remember him making much of an impact.  Was it just the Urban Meyer disfunction?  Was he injured?

Couldn't be, Ham went to OSU. Surprised he wasn't getting reps at Fullback too.

Malcolm Brown being released is a little curious, but in the end he just didn't live up to his billing vs the run and this regime seems focused on correcting that deficiency.

I expect to see another big guy added, since Hamilton has also not been great vs the run and Tufele still seems in long-term project mode.

(08-17-2022, 03:44 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Malcolm Brown being released is a little curious, but in the end he just didn't live up to his billing vs the run and this regime seems focused on correcting that deficiency.

I expect to see another big guy added, since Hamilton has also not been great vs the run and Tufele still seems in long-term  project mode.

He had a cap hit of 7.5 million this year and only a dead cap number of 4.5 million. Could be just a business move. That and our depth has not shown out in the preseason games this year. A big drop off to say the least.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(07-13-2022, 10:56 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Mike Caldwell seems mostly committed to not committing to a particular defensive scheme.

He espouses fitting his scheme to his talent and keeps his cards close to his vest. Obviously we will see some looks from these guys in about a month in preseason action - so we'll have at least some feel for how much 3-4 vs 4-3 they want to play.

Quick Sidebar - If you are looking to get a feel for Caldwell's personality, this video is pretty cool:
https://www.jaguars.com/video/dc-mike-ca...le-jaguars

That said, the team acquired a one technique run stuffer in Foley Fatukasi in free agency who will likely play the 1-tech/NT spot in either look when they field their run defense packages. 

Other 1-tech (nose tackle) players include Davon Hamilton and Malcolm Brown (with Tufele as an honorable mention in development.)

When defending the run in a 3-4 look these "big uglies" could be used as 3-4 DE alongside the nose when they want a heavy set. 
There are several other players eligible to play those positions as well. 
(Goths, RRH, Smoot, Tufele) 

In any 4-3 looks they deploy, the combinations of one-tech and three-tech DTs are almost endless. Lots of different guys to plug in and rotate.

If walker can play, all the interior has to do is not get overrun.   I think they have enough arrows in the quiver and the diversity you spoke about to create enough 3rd and 4 plus situations to let the pass rushers eat.  If the kid can play and Allen's healthy this unit can be SPECIAL!