Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Preseason Pontification and Prognostication

With a few days remaining until Doug Pederson's first training camp with the Jaguars opens, I figured it might be good to give our thoughts and predictions about the Jaguars and the league as a whole coming into this preseason.

1.  I know we are all eager to see improvement from the Jaguars under Pederson, but I wouldn't expect too much too soon.  The Jaguars are presumably getting an early start to preseason by playing in this year's Hall of Fame game.  Ordinarily, teams who are slated to play in the Hall of fame game are allowed to enter training camp early.  But the Jaguars didn't take advantage of that.  Despite having a new coach with new schemes playing in the Hall of Fame game, the Jaguars don't open camp until the 24th, which gives the team about two weeks to prepare for the game in Canton.  While i want the team to look good, even in preseason, I expect sloppiness-even for first game of the preseason standards.  But if the team is making progress and is staying healthy, I can live with a sloppy HOF game.

2.  What is with the media's sudden love affair with black helmets?  Nothing is wrong with them, but I find it odd the media is going gaga over the alternate black helmets to be donned by the Panthers and Saints this year.  We've had black helmets pretty much our entire existence, and nobody in the media gave them much consideration.  Now? It's as if Carolina and New Orleans somehow invented black helmets.

3.  Looking at the roster, I think Washington has a ton of speed at WR with Curtis Samuel, McLaurin, Dotson, and 2nd year Dyami Brown.  I think with Gibson and Robinson, they can offer balance with a good running game.  To maximize our chances of winning opening week against a team we typically haven't fared well against, we'll have to shut down the run, get pressure against them in passing situations, and force some turnovers.  When the schedule first came out, my main concern was the Commanders' defense.  But their offense won't be a walk in the park, either.  

4.  Snoop Connor could be a key contributor for us early on.

5.  In this division, I think each team offers multiple guys on the hot seat.  In Houston, even though he's a good coach and just got there, I think Lovie Smith is on the hot seat.  The pressure stemming from the Brian Flores litigation contributed to the Smith hire.  The team was rumored to be interested in hiring Josh McCown for goodness sake.  Anything short of 6 wins will have Smith one and done for Houston.  While Davis Mills was a bit of a pleasant surprise for them, you have to think with all of the picks flowing from the Watson trade and the strong QB class, i could easily see Mills quickly becoming a bridge QB if he and the team falters.

As for the tacks, I could see three guys on the hot seat-all of whom are on offense:  1)  Tannehill, Henry, and the rookie first round pick from Arkansas, Treylon Burks.  After last year's playoff disaster at home against Cincinnati, Tannehill ha much to prove.  But with the loss of AJ Brown, it'll be harder for Tannehill to perform.  Derrick Henry has proven himself to be a great back over the years.  but he's taken punishment over that time, and last year, he missed a substantial amount of time to injuries.  If he can stay healthy, he makes things much easier for the tacks and maybe he even gets another deal, but if he shows signs of further decline or misses another large chunk of time like last year, things will be ugly offensively.  Finally, tackland was not happy to lose Brown.  While Burks measures up amost equally to Brown in terms of physical build/dimensions, it remains to be seen whether he can match his productivity.  If he doesn't, he will come under increasing scrutiny.

Indy will need to hit on their rookie LT pick this year, or their hopes to contend will once again fall short of expectations.  I also think CB Stephon Gilmore can improve their defense in Gus Bradley's scheme, but he's clearly a stopgap.  The general perception is Matt Ryan will be an upgrade over last year's signal caller.  but if he starts showing signs of age and the Colts skill players still can't give him substantially better play than what the Colts got out of their skill positions last year, the Colts could end up trying to find yet another QB.

6.  Can't believe I'm typing this, but I'm looking forward to see how the kicking competition plays itself out for the Jaguars this year.  I believe whomever wins the job will definitely have a stronger leg than Wright had last year.  i think we'll see improved accuracy this year (how many games did we go without kicking a FG last year?  Six?) amd better kick coverage.  Short kickoffs were contributing factors in the kick returns for TDs allowed late last year vs. Houston and the Jets.

7.  I am eager to see how Etienne will be utilized.  Considering he played and coached under Andy Reid, I think Pederson will utilize Etienne much like Brian Westbrook was used by the Eagles under Reid.  If so, Jaguars fans will notice an element of dynamic play in terms of creativity we've never seen here before.

8.  How does Cisco NOT start at S this year?

9.  Even though we are months removed from the draft and days before the start of training camp, part of me still has the nagging sense we could have and should have done more to give Trevor Lawrence more direct offensive help.  That said, it was far from unreasonable for the team to have made the emphasis on defense they did.  The Jaguars only had two games (out of 17) where the defense held opponents to less than 20 ppg (Buffalo and the 2nd Indy game), while allowing over 30 points in EIGHT (9) games.  With this in mind, it doesn't take a Bill Walsh to figure out you take pressure off your QB-especially your young one-to make him not have t score 30 PPG to have a chance at winning.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Good work and interesting reads as always. Honestly, I can't believe camp is starting soon. I am down on the NFL overall but it isn't like I won't watch when I can. Live sports aren't in my plans this year due to rising costs and changes to the sports packages, I had to drop Sunday Ticket and my Broadcast TV (Directv). I have NFL Game Rewind so I am going to be after the game viewing. I will say I missed a bunch of games last year and there was good info on the boards on game days to plug me in.

Thanks to the fans of this team.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(This post was last modified: 07-22-2022, 03:15 PM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

Great write up as usual, Bullseye. 

The last sentence was exactly on the money.  I totally agree.  We talk a lot about helping Trevor, but one of the best ways to help Trevor is to not have him come onto the field for the very first drive already down 0-7.

(This post was last modified: 07-22-2022, 04:26 PM by Bullseye.)

(07-22-2022, 02:36 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: Good work and interesting reads as always. Honestly, I can't believe camp is starting soon. I am down on the NFL overall but it isn't like I won't watch when I can.  Live sports aren't in my plans this year due to rising costs and changes to the sports packages, I had to drop Sunday Ticket and my Broadcast TV (Directv). I have NFL Game Rewind so I am going to be after the game viewing.  I will say I missed a bunch of games last year and there was good info on the boards on game days to plug me in.

Thanks to the fans of this team.

It sucks you are down on NFL football and that you will not see as many live games as in the past.  Inflation sucks.

Hopefully not too many people are priced out of necessities, much less things they love like football.

(07-22-2022, 03:13 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: Great write up as usual, Bullseye. 

The last sentence was exactly on the money.  I totally agree.  We talk a lot about helping Trevor, but one of the best ways to help Trevor is to not have him come onto the field for the very first drive already down 0-7.

When I think of Trevor feeling compelled to put up a ton of points because of a bad defense, I keep thinking of the 2nd Tennessee game.

Not that the defense played especially poorly in that game, but that was the first game where Trevor looked like he was forcing a bunch of stuff almost out of frustration, and it was his worst as a pro. I think we'll be much better this year, but that was the sort of game I could envision Trevor having because his defense isn't giving him help.

I also keep going back to the kicker competition.  I think if we could otherwise keep games close, improved special teams because of more accurate FG kicking and deeper kickoffs could make the difference in 2-3 games easily.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!