Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Reluctance From Remembrance-Chase Young

(This post was last modified: 07-29-2022, 12:20 PM by Bullseye. Edited 1 time in total.)

My memory gives me pause to post this.

Not because it is failing me.  but because it isn't.

I remember a 2004 home loss to the tacks, who came into the game with a decimated secondary.  I remember going into that game thinking we should have more success moving the ball against them with all of those injuries.  Led by Garrard, the Jaguars mustered a whopping 123 yards passing in an 18-15 loss.

I also remember a 2009 game against Seattle, whe entered the game with a decimated offensive line.  A few Jaguars fans at the time felt like our defense could have some success holding their offense in check because of their injuries.  I remember the final score in that game:  Seattle 41 Jaguars 0.

Finally, I remember a game from last year...again versus Seattle.  Going through yet another miserable season, the Jaguars had not earned the benefit of the doubt from anyone.  Yet there was a flicker of hope from some Jaguars fans because future Hall of Fame QB Russell Wilson would miss the game for Seattle.  Popular Jaguars fans (and Jet LB) punching bag Geno Smith would start the game.  I recall losing that game 31-7.

With this in mind, I read the following earlier:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...ason-time/

When healthy. Chase Young is an sbsolute stud of a pass rusher, and Washington is a much stronger defense with a healthy Young.

However, if this article is accurate, Young may miss the opening week game against us.

You know what I'm thinking.  Him being out for that game seems to make our job a little easier.

But you also now realize why I am reluctant to go there.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(07-29-2022, 12:20 PM)Bullseye Wrote: My memory gives me pause to post this.

I remember a 2004 home loss to the tacks, who came into the game with a decimated secondary.  I remember going into that game thinking we should have more success moving the ball against them with all of those injuries.  Led by Garrard, the Jaguars mustered a whopping 123 yards passing in an 18-15 loss.

I also remember a 2009 game against Seattle, whe entered the game with a decimated offensive line.  A few Jaguars fans at the time felt like our defense could have some success holding their offense in check because of their injuries.  I remember the final score in that game:  Seattle 41 Jaguars 0.

Finally, I remember a game from last year...again versus Seattle.  Going through yet another miserable season, the Jaguars had not earned the benefit of the doubt from anyone.  Yet there was a flicker of hope from some Jaguars fans because future Hall of Fame QB Russell Wilson would miss the game for Seattle.  Popular Jaguars fans (and Jet LB) punching bag Geno Smith would start the game.  I recall losing that game 31-7.

When healthy. Chase Young is an sbsolute stud of a pass rusher, and Washington is a much stronger defense with a healthy Young.

However, if this article is accurate, Young may miss the opening week game against us.

You know what I'm thinking.  Him being out for that game seems to make our job a little easier.

I hear ya. But I'd bet better than even money that we won most of those games heading in under similar circumstances. The NFL is what it is and on any given Sunday...regardless of who's playing.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(07-29-2022, 12:45 PM)MarleyJag Wrote:

I hear ya. But I'd bet better than even money that we won most of those games heading in under similar circumstances. The NFL is what it is and on any given Sunday...regardless of who's playing.
You mean like almost the entire 2018 season when the Jags faced backup QBs almost all year? lol

Will gladly accept any twist of fate that helps us in the early weeks of reg season while our young team acclimates to the new system & finds cohesion.

Buy, yeah, these things don't always work out as favorably as we think they will.

(07-29-2022, 12:57 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(07-29-2022, 12:45 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: I hear ya. But I'd bet better than even money that we won most of those games heading in under similar circumstances. The NFL is what it is and on any given Sunday...regardless of who's playing.
You mean like almost the entire 2018 season when the Jags faced backup QBs almost all year? lol

What are you talking about? We faced a murderers' row of QBs in 2018.

We faced the 2018 MVP Patrick Mahomes, Pro Bowl selections Tom Brady (Super Bowl winner) , Dak Prescott, Deshaun Watson (twice), Andrew Luck (twice), and then guys like Ben Roethlisberger (who had his career best passing yards that season}, and Eli Manning who had a solid year.

We had 1 game where we played a back up QB and that was against Washington in week 15.

(07-29-2022, 12:45 PM)MarleyJag Wrote:

The thing is, the Jaguars have been such prolific losers, seemingly common sense conclusions like a team missing it's best pass rusher should have greater difficulty in rushing the passer typically isn't when it comes to this team.  In recent years, I'm sure players have been held out against us because teams knew they were clearly better than we were, whereas they may have played against a better opponent.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(07-29-2022, 04:37 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(07-29-2022, 12:45 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: I hear ya. But I'd bet better than even money that we won most of those games heading in under similar circumstances. The NFL is what it is and on any given Sunday...regardless of who's playing.
The thing is, the Jaguars have been such prolific losers, seemingly common sense conclusions like a team missing it's best pass rusher should have greater difficulty in rushing the passer typically isn't when it comes to this team.  In recent years, I'm sure players have been held out against us because teams knew they were clearly better than we were, whereas they may have played against a better opponent.

Yeah it does happen. I noticed that we sometimes make backup QBs look like all-stars. I remember when we faced Tom Savage with the tinhorns and he tore us up.

(07-29-2022, 04:17 PM)Predator Wrote:
(07-29-2022, 12:57 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: You mean like almost the entire 2018 season when the Jags faced backup QBs almost all year? lol

What are you talking about? We faced a murderers' row of QBs in 2018.

We faced the 2018 MVP Patrick Mahomes, Pro Bowl selections Tom Brady (Super Bowl winner) , Dak Prescott, Deshaun Watson (twice), Andrew Luck (twice), and then guys like Ben Roethlisberger (who had his career best passing yards that season}, and Eli Manning who had a solid year.

We had 1 game where we played a back up QB and that was against Washington in week 15.
My apologies. I meant the 2017/2018 season when the Jags made the playoffs and made the AFC title game. They faced QBs like Tom Savage, Mariota, Flacco, McCown, Brissett, Dalton, Kizer, Gabbert, Yates, and Tyrod.

(07-29-2022, 04:49 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(07-29-2022, 04:17 PM)Predator Wrote: What are you talking about? We faced a murderers' row of QBs in 2018.

My apologies. I meant the 2017/2018 season when the Jags made the playoffs and made the AFC title game. They faced QBs like Tom Savage, Mariota, Flacco, McCown, Brissett, Dalton, Kizer, Gabbert, Yates, and Tyrod.

Exactly my point. We beat the backups for the most part like we should have been expected to.

(07-29-2022, 12:20 PM)Bullseye Wrote: You know what I'm thinking.  Him being out for that game seems to make our job a little easier.

Remind me once again how Chase Young being out is going to make our job easier?  All I do is sit in a bar drinking beer and eating wings.  First of all that's not very difficult to being with but I'm just not seeing how it's going to get even easier.

(07-29-2022, 05:34 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(07-29-2022, 12:20 PM)Bullseye Wrote: You know what I'm thinking.  Him being out for that game seems to make our job a little easier.

Remind me once again how Chase Young being out is going to make our job easier?  All I do is sit in a bar drinking beer and eating wings.  First of all that's not very difficult to being with but I'm just not seeing how it's going to get even easier.

Less indigestion from not having to watch Trevor evade pressure? 

You can go full tilt on the wing heat.

(07-29-2022, 04:49 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(07-29-2022, 04:17 PM)Predator Wrote: What are you talking about? We faced a murderers' row of QBs in 2018.

Flacco, Mariota, Dalton, and Tyrod were all multi year entrenched starters on their respective teams in 2017 so you can't call them back up QBs. They were the same guys everyone faced when playing those teams for years. I mean Dalton was coming off a pro bowl season and Mariota swept us and made it to the divisional round of the playoffs. We were also 4 point underdogs to the Flacco led ravens so that wasn't even considered a game we were supposed to win.

Gabbert beat us so I don't see how that fits in to the narrative of all the backups we took advantage of in 2018 either.

We beat some really good QBs that year, but half of our losses came from QBs you mentioned in regards to how we beat the teams we were supposed to beat that year.

(07-29-2022, 04:37 PM)Bullseye Wrote:

Last year week one was another good example. With all the negative storylines around Houston(Watson, watt leaving, new coach) and all the hype we had coming into the year, it seemed like we were primed to beat the breaks off of that team. I actually remember joking with a guy from work about not playing a drinking game that was connected to the jags scoring drives in fear of getting too drunk….. then we took the field for what would be the start of one of the most embarrassing seasons we have had as a franchise… #becausejaguars

(07-29-2022, 07:50 PM)JagsorDie Wrote:
(07-29-2022, 04:37 PM)Bullseye Wrote: The thing is, the Jaguars have been such prolific losers, seemingly common sense conclusions like a team missing it's best pass rusher should have greater difficulty in rushing the passer typically isn't when it comes to this team.  In recent years, I'm sure players have been held out against us because teams knew they were clearly better than we were, whereas they may have played against a better opponent.

Last year week one was another good example. With all the negative storylines around Houston(Watson, watt leaving, new coach) and all the hype we had coming into the year, it seemed like we were primed to beat the breaks off of that team. I actually remember joking with a guy from work about not playing a drinking game that was connected to the jags scoring drives in fear of getting too drunk….. then we took the field for what would be the start of one of the most embarrassing seasons we have had as a franchise… #becausejaguars

Swept in fact. Oi its hard to be a jaguar fan
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

2 out of 3 of those squads were bad on both sides of the ball regardless of opponent. The 04 team,iirc,  had a decent defense, hence the low score but it was the tacks. They always have our number.

"That's why you play the game".

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

You are absolutely correct, Bullseye.

I can't count the number of times we have played a team with a particular weakness and assumed that we could exploit that weakness and it never works out that way.

In this case they're still gonna play 11 people on defense. And they're playing the Jaguars. It's not like they have to play a perfect game to beat us.

(07-30-2022, 05:49 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: You are absolutely correct, Bullseye. 

I can't count the number of times we have played a team with a particular weakness and assumed that we could exploit that weakness and it never works out that way.

In this case they're still gonna play 11 people on defense.  And they're playing the Jaguars.  It's not like they have to play a perfect game to beat us.

Summed up the thread in a single sentence.

Yeah, it sucks losing games you're supposed to win, and it sucks even worse when your opposition has an alleged weakness going into that game.  On the plus side, I can think of a cool half dozen games where the opposition had the W already counted just to be embarrassed by a Jags victory.  In fact, the last game the Jags played... without a starting RB, with an interim head coach, against a team that had a playoff berth riding on it...

(This post was last modified: 07-30-2022, 04:24 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(07-29-2022, 05:38 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(07-29-2022, 05:34 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Remind me once again how Chase Young being out is going to make our job easier?  All I do is sit in a bar drink beer and eat wings.  First of all that's not very difficult to begin with but I'm just not seeing how it's going to get even easier.

Less indigestion from not having to watch Trevor evade pressure? 

You can go full tilt on the wing heat.

Great points !!! Def makes my life easier.

Also, perhaps Washington fans won't watch the game without Chase playing, thus freeing up seats as the bar, which can be an issue with our I-95 northeastern corridor migration here in town.

(07-29-2022, 07:50 PM)JagsorDie Wrote:
(07-29-2022, 04:37 PM)Bullseye Wrote: The thing is, the Jaguars have been such prolific losers, seemingly common sense conclusions like a team missing it's best pass rusher should have greater difficulty in rushing the passer typically isn't when it comes to this team.  In recent years, I'm sure players have been held out against us because teams knew they were clearly better than we were, whereas they may have played against a better opponent.

EXACTLY !!!  Little did we know that Tyrod Taylor would look like the next coming of Randall Cunningham, Mike Vick, and Lamar Jackson combined against us.

The Jags have a long history of playing down to the opposing team's level. I don't know if it's something in the water, but even clearly outclassed teams seem to always have a fighting chance, if not a victory, against the Jags.