Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
College Prospects - 2023

(03-25-2023, 03:45 AM)cat bells Wrote: Play it as it comes but for me as enjoyable as last season was there are still enough areas we can improve on in the team that unless there's a special player there i think generally speaking id prefer the possibility of two good contrbutors.

Would really be great to hit on one of those 4th rounders. We kind-of need to. 
It's been a while since the 4th round produced a worthy player for us. 

The only 4th rounders still with us since 2016 are: 

Jordan Smith (long shot to be a rotational pass rusher this year) 
Ben Bartch (should compete for starting LG this year)
Shaquille Quarterman (made one spectacular play last year in 21 defensive snaps - one year left on rookie deal as a backup LB and ST guy) 

So - out of 8 guys taken in the fourth round over 8 years, we have one guy that might win a starting job this year, but most fans are hoping to upgrade him. One guy who might earn a 2nd contract as a core ST guy. And a long shot developmental edge who may not stick after camp. 

While I value the 2- fourth round picks, part of me is intrigued at our higher success rate in the third round.
Picks since 2016 in the third round include:
  • Luke Fortner
  • Chad Muma
  • Andre Cisco
  • Davon Hamilton
  • Josh Oliver (just signed a $21 mil contract in Minn)
  • Qunicy Williams (just signed a $18 mil deal with NYJ)
  • Ronnie Harison
  • Dawuane Smoot 
  • Yannick Ngakoue

Needless to say - that's a bigger pool of talent. Is it worth spending two fourths to move up - assuming a player is on the board presenting value? 

Tough one to call for me, but I'm leaning toward moving up and gambling on higher probability of contribution.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Yeah I'd agree we do seem to historically have more success in rounds 2/3 ... However, whether it's statistically correct (or very possibly not) it has just always seemed like the standard of player, (or at least the capacity for finding starters) especially at the blue chip positions tends to drops off through the fourth most years. Just a personal opinion or feeling! And whilst I wouldn't disagree with your point on our success, or lack thereof, in the fourth ... given the absolute state of us through the last ten years im always a wee bit cautious reading too much into jaguar drafting ... We've not always knocked it over the bleachers in the first either  Laughing  A large part of our lack of success is admittedly just that we've not always been particularly good at identifying and drafting those players, and other franchises have been more efficient. There's been more than a few occasions when even folk on this board have been identifying players in the later rounds who have proved to be sensible picks, Salyer was one recently in particular who springs to mind!

A sweeping generalisation i appreciate and certainly not applicable every year but most drafts i go into thinking the same thing, try and look after anything above a fourth and play as fast and loose as you want with your late rounders where you can.

As with anything in life there are exceptions, it's not a hard and fast rule, more a sensible starting position and especially with drafting later this year and there being considerably more variables. If Baalke feels there's a can't miss guy he's probably earned the right to make that move ... However he does it if he comes out of this draft with a starting OL, TE and nickel and I'd probably say thanks very much right now and move on.

(03-25-2023, 01:15 PM)cat bells Wrote: Yeah I'd agree we do seem to historically have more success in rounds 2/3 ... However, whether it's statistically correct (or very possibly not) it has just always seemed like the standard of player, (or at least the capacity for finding starters) especially at the blue chip positions tends to drops off through the fourth most years. Just a personal opinion or feeling! And whilst I wouldn't disagree with your point on our success, or lack thereof, in the fourth ... given the absolute state of us through the last ten years im always a wee bit cautious reading too much into jaguar drafting ... We've not always knocked it over the bleachers in the first either  Laughing  A large part of our lack of success is admittedly just that we've not always been particularly good at identifying and drafting those players, and other franchises have been more efficient. There's been more than a few occasions when even folk on this board have been identifying players in the later rounds who have proved to be sensible picks, Salyer was one recently in particular who springs to mind!

A sweeping generalisation i appreciate and certainly not applicable every year but most drafts i go into thinking the same thing, try and look after anything above a fourth and play as fast and loose as you want with your late rounders where you can.

As with anything in life there are exceptions, it's not a hard and fast rule, more a sensible starting position and especially with drafting later this year and there being considerably more variables. If Baalke feels there's a can't miss guy he's probably earned the right to make that move ... However he does it if he comes out of this draft with a starting OL, TE and nickel and I'd probably say thanks very much right now and move on.

Yes - I'd like that too. Regardless of rounds selected and maneuvering to get them. 

I think in that scenario we'd need to have added another piece to the DL in free agency. 
Still feels thin there to me.
There are also still lots of ways for this front office to skin the proverbial cat. 

Wish we could skip ahead a bit this time of year. Plodding through the last bits of FA while we wait on the draft is almost as bad as waiting between the draft and the preseason. 

I heard a local radio beat reporter yesterday say that he'd hibernate from the Super Bowl until the draft every year if it would allow him to live to experience more football seasons. 
Tongue

Yeah .... Personal preference but id (certainly) put OL and (probably) put nickel slightly ahead at the top of our list of needs. After that id also fancy a TE, something on the DL and safety .... And wouldn't have turned my nose up at a late round running back before they signed Johnson (which seems a solid pick up) ... But you can't have it all!! ... With a less than extensive knowledge of the draft prospects my reference to TE was clouded simply because the depth of prospects at that position seems particularly strong this year so (in theory) Baalke should be able to come out with a useful player at the tight end position slightly easier. ... I 'd be honest and say I'm also assuming (possibly naively) that we can get hold of Smoot and Campbell on the line... Failure to do so obviously changes things a bit in that regard... 

You're not wrong though ... The fingers are starting to drum now.  Two more weeks and I might have to join the damn 'golf' thread  Laughing Wink

How would yall feel about ADETOMIWA ADEBAWORE in the 2nd? Dude ran a 4.49 at 282 lbs. One of the craziest things I've seen. Inwonder how many people in the history of the world have ran under a 4.5 at over 280 lbs? 3-4 end. Would be another high risk high reward top guy
https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/a...l.amp.html

(03-26-2023, 09:11 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: How would yall feel about ADETOMIWA ADEBAWORE in the 2nd?  Dude ran a 4.49 at 282 lbs.  One of the craziest things I've seen.  Inwonder how many people in the history of the world have ran under a 4.5 at over 280 lbs?  3-4 end.  Would be another high risk high reward top guy

I hope we take him just to see how snowy manages to spell that guy's name. Tongue

(03-27-2023, 08:23 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(03-26-2023, 09:11 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: How would yall feel about ADETOMIWA ADEBAWORE in the 2nd?  Dude ran a 4.49 at 282 lbs.  One of the craziest things I've seen.  Inwonder how many people in the history of the world have ran under a 4.5 at over 280 lbs?  3-4 end.  Would be another high risk high reward top guy

I hope we take him just to see how snowy manages to spell that guy's name. Tongue

I would just call him double Ade (pronounced eddy) for short. [BLEEP] it. LOL. 

"Damn son! Ya'll see that double eddy shoot the gap!?!? Hot diggitty damn dog son! That double eddy ain't no joke".
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Brand new here.

Just want to throw in a couple college prospects I think will help the Jaguars. Some are under the radar, so to speak. Probably UDRFA types. Any could wind up starting or playing significant amounts of time in support. I really want these guys on the Jaguars roster.

The idea is to get them in camp and let Doug Pederson toy around with them. 

1. LG Dillan Gibbons - FSU - 6-5, 326 Lbs. Senior transfer from Notre Dame. He really improved the Seminoles' offensive line. He has 10-year plug and play potential. He has Pro Bowl potential. He is not drawing attention, but has everything you want. Don't ask me why, but I have a gut feeling he is a long term answer at LG.

2. Isaiah Bowser - RB - Central Florida - He is a perfect short-yardage RB. He transferred in from Northwestern. His flaw is ball security sometimes. If we can coach him up, he will be a perfect fit in our offense. He is a tough, hard nose runner. Very elusive and hard to bring down. 16 TDs rushing the ball. Incredibly stout.

A player to monitor for rehab is Isaiah Neyor of Texas. He is a dynamic WR if he can make a full recovery from surgery. Keep an eye on him. Try to find some video of him when he was at Wyoming. Very elusive after the catch. Solid hands.

We are creeping toward the draft. Lol

(03-29-2023, 10:23 PM)Jag88 Wrote: We are creeping toward the draft. Lol

It can't get here fast enough. 1 month to go!
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(03-29-2023, 06:15 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://jaguarswire.usatoday.com/2023/03...-30-visit/
(03-29-2023, 10:01 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/...74464?s=20
Looking at day 3 options to play the 3-tech. Good options here. Surprised we have seen little reports on offensive tackles. Bradford from LSU and Reid from Louisville look very promising as day 3 options that can be developed as rookies.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

https://youtu.be/HyodMvf5-80

(03-30-2023, 05:44 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://youtu.be/HyodMvf5-80

Him and Tyjae Spears are my two favorite RBs in the draft.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(03-30-2023, 07:41 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(03-30-2023, 05:44 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://youtu.be/HyodMvf5-80

Him and Tyjae Spears are my two favorite RBs in the draft.

I really like McBride as well and we have looked at all 3.  One will likely fall and I could see us getting one of the 3.

(This post was last modified: 03-31-2023, 10:55 AM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 2 times in total.)

Derek Parish is a guy I hope we are able to get. His shuttle was faster than 18 of the 19 WRs and he would have been an All American if it wasn't for the injury. A diamond in the rough pick for me. He can be a FB in short yardage situations as well if needed

Isaiah Bolden!