Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
College Prospects - 2023

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-04-2023, 04:30 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://twitter.com/jordandelugo/status/...91488?s=20

On mock drafts he is in 200s but I feel he is going to go higher.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(This post was last modified: 04-06-2023, 01:25 PM by TheDogCatcher.)

(03-25-2023, 12:12 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-25-2023, 03:45 AM)cat bells Wrote: Play it as it comes but for me as enjoyable as last season was there are still enough areas we can improve on in the team that unless there's a special player there i think generally speaking id prefer the possibility of two good contrbutors.

Would really be great to hit on one of those 4th rounders. We kind-of need to. 
It's been a while since the 4th round produced a worthy player for us. 

The only 4th rounders still with us since 2016 are: 

Jordan Smith (long shot to be a rotational pass rusher this year) 
Ben Bartch (should compete for starting LG this year)
Shaquille Quarterman (made one spectacular play last year in 21 defensive snaps - one year left on rookie deal as a backup LB and ST guy) 

So - out of 8 guys taken in the fourth round over 8 years, we have one guy that might win a starting job this year, but most fans are hoping to upgrade him. One guy who might earn a 2nd contract as a core ST guy. And a long shot developmental edge who may not stick after camp. 

While I value the 2- fourth round picks, part of me is intrigued at our higher success rate in the third round.
Picks since 2016 in the third round include:
  • Luke Fortner
  • Chad Muma
  • Andre Cisco
  • Davon Hamilton
  • Josh Oliver (just signed a $21 mil contract in Minn)
  • Qunicy Williams (just signed a $18 mil deal with NYJ)
  • Ronnie Harison
  • Dawuane Smoot 
  • Yannick Ngakoue

Needless to say - that's a bigger pool of talent. Is it worth spending two fourths to move up - assuming a player is on the board presenting value? 

Tough one to call for me, but I'm leaning toward moving up and gambling on higher probability of contribution.

Half those guys were drafted by Caldwell and his scouts. I wouldn't mind using one of the 4th round picks to trade up into the 2nd round or high 3rd round to nab someone who falls at a position of need.

(03-25-2023, 01:58 PM)cat bells Wrote: Yeah .... Personal preference but id (certainly) put OL and (probably) put nickel slightly ahead at the top of our list of needs. After that id also fancy a TE, something on the DL and safety .... And wouldn't have turned my nose up at a late round running back before they signed Johnson (which seems a solid pick up) ... But you can't have it all!! ... With a less than extensive knowledge of the draft prospects my reference to TE was clouded simply because the depth of prospects at that position seems particularly strong this year so (in theory) Baalke should be able to come out with a useful player at the tight end position slightly easier. ... I 'd be honest and say I'm also assuming (possibly naively) that we can get hold of Smoot and Campbell on the line... Failure to do so obviously changes things a bit in that regard... 

You're not wrong though ... The fingers are starting to drum now.  Two more weeks and I might have to join the damn 'golf' thread  Laughing Wink

I wouldn't over value nickel. Undersized CBs grow on trees. Trust the scouts and try to find a diamond in the ruff with one of the 4th round picks and then bring in a couple more as undrafted FAs to compete with Herndon. If none of them can beat out Herndon, bring in some more bodies when teams start trimming their rosters.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(04-07-2023, 05:00 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://twitter.com/jordandelugo/status/...76004?s=20

https://twitter.com/MathBomb/status/1643...51616?s=20

Looks like he'd be in consideration in rounds 6 or 7.

(This post was last modified: 04-12-2023, 12:10 AM by Dimson. Edited 2 times in total.)

My guy. The play that made me fall in love.
https://twitter.com/RealTannenbaum/statu...zeK0Q&s=19
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(04-12-2023, 12:09 AM)Dimson Wrote: My guy. The play that made me fall in love.

10 year player at RB is awfully generous.

He's an interesting prospect, but if they draft a RB before the 6th round it'll be a mistake. Far more pressing needs to address in the first 4 rounds.

(04-12-2023, 12:57 AM)Eric1 Wrote:
(04-12-2023, 12:09 AM)Dimson Wrote: My guy. The play that made me fall in love.

10 year player at RB is awfully generous.

He's an interesting prospect, but if they draft a RB before the 6th round it'll be a mistake. Far more pressing needs to address in the first 4 rounds.

I feel we have done more than enough to address the RB situation tbh

I agree with what u said about 6th round, 

There will be alot of UDFAs that we can snag up afterwards, which I'm sure should have 1 hidden gem in them somehow

(04-12-2023, 01:07 AM)StrayaJag Wrote:
(04-12-2023, 12:57 AM)Eric1 Wrote: 10 year player at RB is awfully generous.

I feel we have done more than enough to address the RB situation tbh

I agree with what u said about 6th round, 

There will be alot of UDFAs that we can snag up afterwards, which I'm sure should have 1 hidden gem in them somehow

Yup and even then I dunno if I'd spend a 6th, or 7th on a RB. I'd definitely bring in an UDFA, or two at RB because why not, but that RB room locks pretty locked up for the most part. ETN isn't going anywhere, Johnson and Hasty (both FA signed/re-signed) lock down RB 2 and 3.

Don't waste more draft picks on a RB. Let the UDFAs compete against Snoop and if he gets beat out so be it. Which I wont be a bit surprised if that happens. Doug said he wants his RBs to play Special Teams and Snoop didn't play a single ST snap this past season (only 38 total snaps in 8 games, 21 of which came in two games). It'll just depend on if they want to admit that they made a bad trade/pick for him this season, or next season. I think the writing is on the wall for him regardless.

(This post was last modified: 04-12-2023, 02:50 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

https://twitter.com/_John_Shipley/status...05226?s=20

Smith would be a very solid 2nd round pick

(04-11-2023, 04:53 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/1...01801?s=20

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1645...40320?s=20

Wilson was the first player I "targeted" for the Jags back in Nov/Dec when I thought we might pick in the teens and he hadn't shot up the boards yet.

Yeah, no running backs. There are a short number of crucial needs.

(This post was last modified: 04-13-2023, 07:56 AM by Caldrac. Edited 2 times in total.)

Some of these edge rushers we're interviewing are probably gone within the top twenty. Not sure if that means they're hoping a player falls or if they're willing to trade up to grab a guy but I am a little uneasy about the trading up part.

Again, I don't personally feel that this team is one player away from winning it all. Getting really, really bad 2007 going into 2008 vibes at the moment. We all thought we needed pass rushers after we lost to New England due to a botched QB situation between Leftwich and Garrard and we ended up betting the farm on guys like Harvey and Groves.

This left us scraping up street free agent no names mid week to start in games that very same Sunday along the offensive line after it completely fell apart. The fact that we have seen minimal discussions or interviews from this class with this group of lineman is concerning. Especially considering the durability concerns with Robinson at LT, Bartch at LG and Scherff at RG. Little still has to get his work and teeth cut this summer in hopes of resolving our RT position.

While having Wells back is nice. He's a swing tackle that we need. He's also coming back from IR. This unit is going to be rusty man. Just have a bad feeling about it. Especially with this schedule and the opponents listed on it. Trust in Baalke I guess but if they fork over a 2nd or 3rd RD pick while swapping out the 24th pick to move up to draft an edge rusher? That's going to leave our [BLEEP] out to dry potentially when we're going to need more pass protection.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Derrick Hall meeting with the Jags today

(04-13-2023, 07:55 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Some of these edge rushers we're interviewing are probably gone within the top twenty. Not sure if that means they're hoping a player falls or if they're willing to trade up to grab a guy but I am a little uneasy about the trading up part.

Again, I don't personally feel that this team is one player away from winning it all. Getting really, really bad 2007 going into 2008 vibes at the moment. We all thought we needed pass rushers after we lost to New England due to a botched QB situation between Leftwich and Garrard and we ended up betting the farm on guys like Harvey and Groves.

This left us scraping up street free agent no names mid week to start in games that very same Sunday along the offensive line after it completely fell apart. The fact that we have seen minimal discussions or interviews from this class with this group of lineman is concerning. Especially considering the durability concerns with Robinson at LT, Bartch at LG and Scherff at RG. Little still has to get his work and teeth cut this summer in hopes of resolving our RT position.

While having Wells back is nice. He's a swing tackle that we need. He's also coming back from IR. This unit is going to be rusty man. Just have a bad feeling about it. Especially with this schedule and the opponents listed on it. Trust in Baalke I guess but if they fork over a 2nd or 3rd RD pick while swapping out the 24th pick to move up to draft an edge rusher? That's going to leave our [BLEEP] out to dry potentially when we're going to need more pass protection.

This seems to be the consensus, but didn't he mostly suck the whole time he was here previously.

I definitely agree with taking a tackle high that could start at guard for a year or two and eventually take one of the tackle spots.

(04-13-2023, 07:55 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Some of these edge rushers we're interviewing are probably gone within the top twenty. Not sure if that means they're hoping a player falls or if they're willing to trade up to grab a guy but I am a little uneasy about the trading up part.

This is why Darnell Wright is very high on my list. I like Nolan Smith and JPJ but I don't think either are realistically going to be there at 24.

Wright will be the Jags RT for 10+ years along with Little at LT.

https://youtu.be/1HO-I7E9vV8

(04-13-2023, 12:55 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Derrick Hall meeting with the Jags today

Hall is in a group of 2nd round prospects who would play Edge in a 3-4 defense. Uzomah, Hall, Ojulari, White, Adebawore and Foskey are all possibilities if the Jags don't select Nolan Smith or Myles Murphy in round 1.

Those who believe the Jaguars should go back to a 4-3 base would prefer Murphy in Round 1 and play him at defensive end along with Josh Allen. Walker could play both DE and DT in this scheme depending on the situation. In this scheme, Oluakon, Muma and Lloyd would be starting linebackers. 

Personally, I believe the current roster is better suited to play the 4-3 since Walker would be much more effective playing with his hands on the ground. Baalke needs to swallow his pride and recognize that Walker is never going to be the Edge rusher he envisioned when selecting him ahead of Hutchinson. He can still become a very effective player on the defensive line commanding double-teams and opening things up for others to get sacks.

(04-13-2023, 01:53 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(04-13-2023, 12:55 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Derrick Hall meeting with the Jags today

Hall is in a group of 2nd round prospects who would play Edge in a 3-4 defense. Uzomah, Hall, Ojulari, White, Adebawore and Foskey are all possibilities if the Jags don't select Nolan Smith or Myles Murphy in round 1.

Those who believe the Jaguars should go back to a 4-3 base would prefer Murphy in Round 1 and play him at defensive end along with Josh Allen. Walker could play both DE and DT in this scheme depending on the situation. In this scheme, Oluakon, Muma and Lloyd would be starting linebackers. 

Personally, I believe the current roster is better suited to play the 4-3 since Walker would be much more effective playing with his hands on the ground. Baalke needs to swallow his pride and recognize that Walker is never going to be the Edge rusher he envisioned when selecting him ahead of Hutchinson. He can still become a very effective player on the defensive line commanding double-teams and opening things up for others to get sacks.
I dont think Foskey makes it to our pick.  It wouldnt surprise me if he goes in the firs.  I think he goes much higher than the rankings and the mocks.  Agree on the 4-3.  It will be interesting to see what we do in the draft.  I think Lloyd, Muma, and Walker will be much improved this year regardless of what type of defense we run.