Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
College Prospects - 2023

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-13-2023, 09:37 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://twitter.com/_John_Shipley/status...44422?s=20
https://youtu.be/oWxzhJw-gNU

Warming up to him. He looks very Ertz / Godert like.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(04-13-2023, 10:09 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(04-13-2023, 09:37 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://twitter.com/_John_Shipley/status...44422?s=20
https://youtu.be/oWxzhJw-gNU

Hopefully not with #24. There are no sure thing TEs worth taking that high. Maybe a trade up to top/middle of round 2 if he’s still there.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

I'm shocked we haven't met with Washington. Hopefully it's smoke. A lot of times the guy we take we don't even have a top 30 with

(04-14-2023, 11:24 AM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:
(04-13-2023, 10:09 PM)Caldrac Wrote: https://youtu.be/oWxzhJw-gNU

Hopefully not with #24. There are no sure thing TEs worth taking that high. Maybe a trade up to top/middle of round 2 if he’s still there.

I am with you on this. Some reputable analysts believe there's going to be at least three tight ends drafted on the opening night though. Tony Pauline in particular thinks Kincaid could go as early as 15, followed by Mayer to LA not too far in front of us and then I think he has Musgrave going at some point. 

I wouldn't mind moving up to get him. I just think it's a position of concern because of Engram's situation and not having anybody really worth a damn behind him to help elevate the offense for Lawrence. This is still a pretty damn deep TE class and I don't think you have to take a guy in RD1 or RD2 to land a viable receiving threat. 

(04-14-2023, 11:52 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I'm shocked we haven't met with Washington.  Hopefully it's smoke.  A lot of times the guy we take we don't even have a top 30 with

I am with you on this as well. He checks off every box that Baalke covets. Tall, fast, physical and lengthy arm wise. Add in the fact that he's one hell of a blocker, shows crazy catch radius ability and honestly fits a need, whether we like it or not, Engram is all we really have at the moment. 

Maybe it's smoke and mirrors. We all know Baalke doesn't mind taking Bulldogs. He took Campbell. He took Walker. Think he blew it passing up on Jamaree Salyer last year though. Washington should be on our radar though. If it's not him early? I would have to think they're looking at guys like Kuntz, Kraft, Schoonmaker, Mallory and possibly even Latu.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(04-14-2023, 12:52 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://twitter.com/jordandelugo/status/...57537?s=20

He doesn't stand out as a nickel though and he's more of a bigger, press man kind of back. I don't know about this. Looks like he gets schooled a bit in zone.

(04-14-2023, 12:51 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(04-14-2023, 11:24 AM)TheDogCatcher Wrote: Hopefully not with #24. There are no sure thing TEs worth taking that high. Maybe a trade up to top/middle of round 2 if he’s still there.

I am with you on this. Some reputable analysts believe there's going to be at least three tight ends drafted on the opening night though. Tony Pauline in particular thinks Kincaid could go as early as 15, followed by Mayer to LA not too far in front of us and then I think he has Musgrave going at some point. 

I wouldn't mind moving up to get him. I just think it's a position of concern because of Engram's situation and not having anybody really worth a damn behind him to help elevate the offense for Lawrence. This is still a pretty damn deep TE class and I don't think you have to take a guy in RD1 or RD2 to land a viable receiving threat. 

(04-14-2023, 11:52 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I'm shocked we haven't met with Washington.  Hopefully it's smoke.  A lot of times the guy we take we don't even have a top 30 with

I am with you on this as well. He checks off every box that Baalke covets. Tall, fast, physical and lengthy arm wise. Add in the fact that he's one hell of a blocker, shows crazy catch radius ability and honestly fits a need, whether we like it or not, Engram is all we really have at the moment. 

Maybe it's smoke and mirrors. We all know Baalke doesn't mind taking Bulldogs. He took Campbell. He took Walker. Think he blew it passing up on Jamaree Salyer last year though. Washington should be on our radar though. If it's not him early? I would have to think they're looking at guys like Kuntz, Kraft, Schoonmaker, Mallory and possibly even Latu.
With regard to the 4 Tight Ends who should be drafted prior to the end of Round 2, I rate them in this order:

1. Kincaid: Clearly not the "complete" tight end due to blocking, but he'd be a weapon for Trevor. I see no way he makes it out of Round 1, but if he does I'd definitely consider trading up for him.

2. Mayer: Can do it all as a receiver and blocker. Just not the weapon Kincaid will become.

3. Washington: I'm not as high on him as most. Love his blocking, but his resume as a receiver is nothing special. Despite Brockers' presence, just have to wonder why he wasn't targeted more. 
                      Might take him in Round 2, if available, but would likely prefer Cody Mauch, Clark Phillips or a pass rusher who may drop such as Uzomah or White.

4. Musgrave: Rated last due to limited number of snaps. If he stays healthy, Musgrave could be the best of this group. Just not willing to risk it.

One name not mentioned is Sam LaPorta. If he makes it out of round 2, this is another guy I might consider moving up for. He has a similar style to Engram, but could replace him in 2024 as number 1 receiving Tight End if Engram is not re-signed. His run after the catch ability is as good as anyone from this class of tight ends.

(This post was last modified: 04-14-2023, 02:20 PM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

(04-14-2023, 02:03 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(04-14-2023, 12:51 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I am with you on this. Some reputable analysts believe there's going to be at least three tight ends drafted on the opening night though. Tony Pauline in particular thinks Kincaid could go as early as 15, followed by Mayer to LA not too far in front of us and then I think he has Musgrave going at some point. 

With regard to the 4 Tight Ends who should be drafted prior to the end of Round 2, I rate them in this order:

1. Kincaid: Clearly not the "complete" tight end due to blocking, but he'd be a weapon for Trevor. I see no way he makes it out of Round 1, but if he does I'd definitely consider trading up for him.

2. Mayer: Can do it all as a receiver and blocker. Just not the weapon Kincaid will become.

3. Washington: I'm not as high on him as most. Love his blocking, but his resume as a receiver is nothing special. Despite Brockers' presence, just have to wonder why he wasn't targeted more. 
                      Might take him in Round 2, if available, but would likely prefer Cody Mauch, Clark Phillips or a pass rusher who may drop such as Uzomah or White.

4. Musgrave: Rated last due to limited number of snaps. If he stays healthy, Musgrave could be the best of this group. Just not willing to risk it.

One name not mentioned is Sam LaPorta. If he makes it out of round 2, this is another guy I might consider moving up for. He has a similar style to Engram, but could replace him in 2024 as number 1 receiving Tight End if Engram is not re-signed. His run after the catch ability is as good as anyone from this class of tight ends.

LaPorta is honestly my favorite TE of this class. Followed by Mallory. For the simple fact that they were a lot more consistent across the board throughout their careers and because of the well roundedness to their game for the position. LaPorta is a tackle breaking machine. Probably my favorite aspect to him. 

LaPorta's highlights reminded me a lot of what we did with Engram last year. A lot of move stuff, misdirection stuff, quick stuff out in the open to let him break tackles or make RAC plays. Mallory is about the same type of player. 

Watching Kincaid's highlights though? He's got that vertical and down the seam game for sure. Very special athlete for the position. Really does remind me of Goedert and Ertz. Just a matter of whether or not you trust the upside and the durability for him to thrive in the NFL.

His ability to make contested catches and track the football is impressive for a guy with limited football experience. He's a basketball player from what I understand more than anything. 

I wouldn't hate the pick. Simply because of the coach we have. I know he'll figure out a way to capitalize on an athlete like Kincaid with Engram out there for one more year.

(This post was last modified: 04-14-2023, 03:20 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

JL Skinner is another guy I'd love in the 2nd. 6'4" enforcer in the back

(04-14-2023, 03:19 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: JL Skinner is another guy I'd love in the 2nd.  6'4" enforcer in the back

In the 2nd? Man, that's a little too rich for my blood. I like him as well as a poor man's Kam Chancellor but I don't see him as a 2nd RD guy. I would take Sydney Brown with the 56th pick before I gambled on Skinner there. I think he would be a solid option there in RD4.

(This post was last modified: 04-14-2023, 04:07 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(04-14-2023, 03:42 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(04-14-2023, 03:19 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: JL Skinner is another guy I'd love in the 2nd.  6'4" enforcer in the back

In the 2nd? Man, that's a little too rich for my blood. I like him as well as a poor man's Kam Chancellor but I don't see him as a 2nd RD guy. I would take Sydney Brown with the 56th pick before I gambled on Skinner there. I think he would be a solid option there in RD4.

Yeah, Skinner or Brown, both for me.  Of course it depends on who is there in the 2nd but I'd be happy wither either of them in the 2nd. Is he a poor man's Chancellor? Chancellor was a 5th round pick, I think he goes much higher than that

In regard to tight end, I think you need to determine your goal.  Are you trying to draft a complimentary player to Engram or his replacement?  Personally, I like Engram and like the chemistry with Trevor.  I want to sign him long term and I still think that will happen.  Neither side has much incentive to negotiate until it gets closer to the deadline.  If he's not signed this year, it's still possible the Jaguars sign him long term in the next off-season or even re-franchise tag him again.  

As such, I'm looking for a complimentary tight end.  The best compliment is Darnell Washington.  Engram is the receiving tight end.  Washington is the blocking tight end.  The problem is that I don't like using a first or second round pick on a tight end #2.  How much is he going to play?  We have Ridley, Kirk, Z. Jones and Engram.  You have to take one of them off the field in order for the tight end #2 to play.  Sure, you will do it some by taking out Zay Jones, but is it often enough to justify taking a tight end in the first two rounds?  I like players taken that early to be full time players.  Teams win games with the players on the field and not the ones sitting on the bench.   I don't see Washington lasting until the third round and very likely not even until our second rounder.  If we're going offense in the first two rounds, I'm selecting an offensive lineman who can play every down.  As such, I don't see the selection of Washington as being likely.  If I were in charge of the draft, I'm likely waiting until the fourth round to draft a tight end.

(04-15-2023, 09:32 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: In regard to tight end, I think you need to determine your goal.  Are you trying to draft a complimentary player to Engram or his replacement?  Personally, I like Engram and like the chemistry with Trevor.  I want to sign him long term and I still think that will happen.  Neither side has much incentive to negotiate until it gets closer to the deadline.  If he's not signed this year, it's still possible the Jaguars sign him long term in the next off-season or even re-franchise tag him again.  

As such, I'm looking for a complimentary tight end.  The best compliment is Darnell Washington.  Engram is the receiving tight end.  Washington is the blocking tight end.  The problem is that I don't like using a first or second round pick on a tight end #2.  How much is he going to play?  We have Ridley, Kirk, Z. Jones and Engram.  You have to take one of them off the field in order for the tight end #2 to play.  Sure, you will do it some by taking out Zay Jones, but is it often enough to justify taking a tight end in the first two rounds?  I like players taken that early to be full time players.  Teams win games with the players on the field and not the ones sitting on the bench.   I don't see Washington lasting until the third round and very likely not even until our second rounder.  If we're going offense in the first two rounds, I'm selecting an offensive lineman who can play every down.  As such, I don't see the selection of Washington as being likely.  If I were in charge of the draft, I'm likely waiting until the fourth round to draft a tight end.
Agreed. I think Will Mallory, Luke Schoonmaker or Josh Whyle feel about right in RD4. Could throw in Payne Durham and Noah Gindorff as well.

If this was England you'd have supporters putting in letters requesting Schoonmaker! What a name! Think of the songs and chants you could get out of that ... Rhymes with Moonraker, one Roger Moore's poorer Bond efforts admittedly but a lyricists dream!!

Where do you start with Gindorff, man sounds like a Soviet general in an 80's B movie... Although in the general scheme of things i would hope our front offices scouting operation operate a considerably more professional operation based on a players actual skill set as a pose cold war war spy thrillers Big Grin ... ...

I know, I know ... But it's a long off-season and I'm starting to struggle for relevance!

(This post was last modified: 04-17-2023, 04:27 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

I like this

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/...50433?s=20

https://twitter.com/_John_Shipley/status...73633?s=20

(04-15-2023, 09:32 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: In regard to tight end, I think you need to determine your goal.  Are you trying to draft a complimentary player to Engram or his replacement?  Personally, I like Engram and like the chemistry with Trevor.  I want to sign him long term and I still think that will happen.  Neither side has much incentive to negotiate until it gets closer to the deadline.  If he's not signed this year, it's still possible the Jaguars sign him long term in the next off-season or even re-franchise tag him again.  

My goal would be to take best TE available -- whether receiving or blocking -- after the 1st round. There are no Kyle Pittses in this draft.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(04-17-2023, 04:23 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I like this

That would be so Baalke to take the next Taven Bryan.

(This post was last modified: 04-17-2023, 08:14 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

Man I hope Torrence is there just to give us that option, i dont think he will be though. I think the pick will be Murphy, Bresee, or Branch. Out of the 3 i prefer Branch.

(04-17-2023, 04:23 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I like this

I'm curious about the part about Clark Phillips having met with every NFL team.  I would think that would be very uncommon.  Is it?