Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
I Knew He Would Be Good

https://www.si.com/nfl/jaguars/duval-ins...nne-walker

When I watched Travis Etienne at Clemson I always thought, man that is just unfair.  His acceleration, the 5 and 10 yard speed, was incredible.  I think he might have been overshadowed a bit by Trevor Lawrence.  But every time I saw him I thought, man this just isn't fair to line him up against these college kids.  He belongs in the NFL.

I thought he was a great pick at the end of the first round and I continue to think so.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(07-31-2022, 05:31 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: https://www.si.com/nfl/jaguars/duval-ins...nne-walker

When I watched Travis Etienne at Clemson I always thought, man that is just unfair.  His acceleration, the 5 and 10 yard speed, was incredible.  I think he might have been overshadowed a bit by Trevor Lawrence.  But every time I saw him I thought, man this just isn't fair to line him up against these college kids.  He belongs in the NFL.

I thought he was a great pick at the end of the first round and I continue to think so.

I have said he reminded me of Tavian Banks in terms of his acceleration, speed, and big play ability.

If he can stay healthy, Pederson is a coach that can utilize a guy like that and get the most out of him.  Go back to how Andy Reid used Brian Westbrook.  I could see Etienne being used similarly.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

No one has ever denied the talent of ETN. It’s just about value.

Jags could have gone Lawrence, Elijah Moore, Javonte Williams (if they really wanted a RB) and then Asante Samuel Jr if Campbell was off the board. Elijah Mitchell went in round 6.

With that said, ETN is here and I’m really excited for him. He might have a DeAndre Swift type season this year and that would be awesome.

This may date me a little but I'm thinking of a quote from the Wolf in Pulp Fiction.... anyways I won't get too excited until I see him on the field in live game action.

That said I'm excited. I know there was some criticism about the pick but I believe I made this point then and I'll make it again. I think people get too hung up on position title. The NFL is quickly becoming a league of offensive playmakers. The league is moving away from purely specialized roles. Tyreek, Deebo, McCaffrey, Kamara, etc.... If Etienne becomes a weapon either running or receiving then he will have been worth the pick. There are busts at all positions in the first rounds and great talents found at all positions in later rounds. The draft is an educated crapshoot. Hopefully Etienne becomes the offensive playmaker we've lacked for awhile.

(This post was last modified: 07-31-2022, 08:42 AM by Ronster.)

Ya, looks good now, but he has yet to play one NFL game; where everyone’s fast.
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

(This post was last modified: 07-31-2022, 09:20 AM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

It was never a bad pick, some people just don't value the RB position. Doesn't matter if Barry Sanders, LT, Derrick Henry or others was there they wouldn't take any of them in the first round. I wanted Moore and Barmore but after those 2 I didn't feel there were many players left that would of been better than Etieene. There where 2 elite backs in last years draft and we got 1 of them. If Etieene can be one of the best backs in the league It will be a great pick and I think he can. Then if the top 100 player JRob comes back 100% we will have the best RB duo in the league. Gonna to be fun to watch. That's my favorite thing about the Cam resigning is he can be a mauler in the run game and was on a team when we had the number 1 run game in the league

He was never a bad player, he was always a bad pick. Big difference.

The reports and clips from camp have me excited about what he might bring to the offense.

I'll still always hate taking a RB in the first round - especially when your team needs so many players at depleted positions with greater need and greater positional value.

It's over and done now, so I'll just be pulling for the kid to make an impact.

Pederson has a great track record at getting multiple backs involved with varying roles to play - and everything seems to be adding up to a great opportunity for Etienne to make splash in 2022.

He looks good against our. I want to see him against other defenses. I'm not sold yet.
You know you're dealing with a belief system when you get an emotional response. 

(07-31-2022, 06:45 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(07-31-2022, 05:31 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: https://www.si.com/nfl/jaguars/duval-ins...nne-walker

I have said he reminded me of Tavian Banks in terms of his acceleration, speed, and big play ability.

If he can stay healthy, Pederson is a coach that can utilize a guy like that and get the most out of him.  Go back to how Andy Reid used Brian Westbrook.  I could see Etienne being used similarly.

Tavian Banks..man what could have been.

(This post was last modified: 07-31-2022, 03:41 PM by ChrisJagBoy. Edited 1 time in total.)

I always found it extremely curious how people here hated ETN being taken at 25, but and maybe i'm remembering wrong but I feel like so many were excited for Fournette at 4 with Watson and Mahomes sitting there and Blake Bortles as our starter.

I didn't love taking a RB in the first either, but I did think his talent completely outweighed guys like Barmore/Elijah Moore etc that everyone here seemed to want, and honestly it would be pretty difficult for him to change my opinion on that cause those other dudes didn't look like 1st round talents. I think the only thing that made me personally question the pick was the fact that JR was so good the year prior..

(07-31-2022, 03:39 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: I always found it extremely curious how people here hated ETN being taken at 25, but and maybe i'm remembering wrong but I feel like so many were excited for Fournette at 4 with Watson and Mahomes sitting there and Blake Bortles as our starter.

I didn't love taking a RB in the first either, but I did think his talent completely outweighed guys like Barmore/Elijah Moore etc that everyone here seemed to want, and honestly it would be pretty difficult for him to change my opinion on that cause those other dudes didn't look like 1st round talents.

I banged the drum for not taking Fournette months before the draft and made dozens of posts about his lack of vision and inability to find a gap vs better defenses in college. 

Like most others who shared my opinion on the player, I could also get excited about his upside and didn't hate the idea of him being a Jag, just saw better value to be had. EXACTLY like I felt about the Etienne pick, only it was much earlier and I had more concern about Fournette's negative traits than I do about Etienne's. 

I actually suggested trading down to #11 with New Orleans to take Mahomes to get the most from that #4 pick - but of course the chefs traded up to 10 to get him in the end. 

Overall, yes, I think you are remembering it incorrectly. It seems to me like the percentage of folks who were anti-first-rnd-RB in 2017 is very similar to the percentage that held the same position in 2021. Some of the reasoning besides positional value may be different, but that's about it. 

I also remember a very solid group here who wanted Watson at #4. (not me, I was wrong in my accuracy eval on him, but several others wanted him)

(07-31-2022, 03:39 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: I always found it extremely curious how people here hated ETN being taken at 25, but and maybe i'm remembering wrong but I feel like so many were excited for Fournette at 4 with Watson and Mahomes sitting there and Blake Bortles as our starter.

I didn't love taking a RB in the first either, but I did think his talent completely outweighed guys like Barmore/Elijah Moore etc that everyone here seemed to want, and honestly it would be pretty difficult for him to change my opinion on that cause those other dudes didn't look like 1st round talents. I think the only thing that made me personally question the pick was the fact that JR was so good the year prior..

Moore has the talent to be one of the best WRs in the league.  He reminds me of Antonio Brown, Barmore is a beast as well and i think becomes a Pro Bowl player if healthy.  Etieene is an elite back.  All 3 1st round talents imo

(This post was last modified: 07-31-2022, 04:10 PM by ChrisJagBoy.)

(07-31-2022, 03:58 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

I didn't love taking a RB in the first either, but I did think his talent completely outweighed guys like Barmore/Elijah Moore etc that everyone here seemed to want, and honestly it would be pretty difficult for him to change my opinion on that cause those other dudes didn't look like 1st round talents.

I banged the drum for not taking Fournette months before the draft and made dozens of posts about his lack of vision and inability to find a gap vs better defenses in college. 

Like most others who shared my opinion on the player, I could also get excited about his upside and didn't hate the idea of him being a Jag, just saw better value to be had. EXACTLY like I felt about the Etienne pick, only it was much earlier and I had more concern about Fournette's negative traits than I do about Etienne's. 

I actually suggested trading down to #11 with New Orleans to take Mahomes to get the most from that #4 pick - but of course the chefs traded up to 10 to get him in the end. 

Overall, yes, I think you are remembering it incorrectly. It seems to me like the percentage of folks who were anti-first-rnd-RB in 2017 is very similar to the percentage that held the same position in 2021. Some of the reasoning besides positional value may be different, but that's about it. 

I also remember a very solid group here who wanted Watson at #4. (not me, I was wrong in my accuracy eval on him, but several others wanted him)

I have to admit, I whiffed on Watson and Mahomes. I was hoping Mahomes would fall to the 2nd, he seemed like a wildcard in college, but his insane arm strength and improvision was interesting. I knew Watson wasn't gonna last to the 2nd and I wasn't 100% sold on him at the time so I wasn't banging the table for him at 4. 2017 was a weird draft, I feel like almost every year there is a guy that I realllly want, regardless of when we pick theres always someone I just really want and 2017 I felt so unsure about most players, the only one that really caught my eye was the guy we weren't ever gonna get in Garret.

I do wonder tho, what would have happened in '17 if we had Watson or Mahomes.

(07-31-2022, 04:03 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

Moore has the talent to be one of the best WRs in the league.  He reminds me of Antonio Brown, Barmore is a beast as well and i think becomes a Pro Bowl player if healthy.  Etieene is an elite back.  All 3 1st round talents imo

Put it this way, if ETN came out in '17 I think he would have been the 1st back off the board even with LF/CMC/Dalvin in the same class. So I do think he was worth a 1st round selection, but I think the disconnect for the jaguars is just that we were so devoid of any talent, and our best player was a RB it made little sense at the time, but if he's as good as expected it may end up being a great move... Guess we will have to wait and see tho.

(This post was last modified: 07-31-2022, 04:14 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

I wanted a RB in 17 but not Fournette. I wanted McCaffrey. I

He was Mahall Faulk 2.0, set Barry Sanders record and could do it all. I think CM receiving ability would of been huge for Bortles

(This post was last modified: 07-31-2022, 04:19 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(07-31-2022, 04:06 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(07-31-2022, 03:58 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I banged the drum for not taking Fournette months before the draft and made dozens of posts about his lack of vision and inability to find a gap vs better defenses in college. 

I have to admit, I whiffed on Watson and Mahomes. I was hoping Mahomes would fall to the 2nd, he seemed like a wildcard in college, but his insane arm strength and improvision was interesting. I knew Watson wasn't gonna last to the 2nd and I wasn't 100% sold on him at the time so I wasn't banging the table for him at 4. 2017 was a weird draft, I feel like almost every year there is a guy that I realllly want, regardless of when we pick theres always someone I just really want and 2017 I felt so unsure about most players, the only one that really caught my eye was the guy we weren't ever gonna get in Garret.

(07-31-2022, 04:03 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Moore has the talent to be one of the best WRs in the league.  He reminds me of Antonio Brown, Barmore is a beast as well and i think becomes a Pro Bowl player if healthy.  Etieene is an elite back.  All 3 1st round talents imo

Put it this way, if ETN came out in '17 I think he would have been the 1st back off the board even with LF/CMC/Dalvin in the same class. So I do think he was worth a 1st round selection, but I think the disconnect for the jaguars is just that we were so devoid of any talent, and our best player was a RB it made little sense at the time, but if he's as good as expected it may end up being a great move... Guess we will have to wait and see tho.
Naw, he wouldn't of been taken over LF or McCaffrey  as much as liked Etienne.  Neither would Harris. You don't pass on a RB that beast Barry Sanders record and that is explosive as CM is and can run routes like a elite WR, not to mention is a decent blocker and has great vision

(07-31-2022, 04:06 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(07-31-2022, 03:58 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I banged the drum for not taking Fournette months before the draft and made dozens of posts about his lack of vision and inability to find a gap vs better defenses in college. 

(07-31-2022, 04:03 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Moore has the talent to be one of the best WRs in the league.  He reminds me of Antonio Brown, Barmore is a beast as well and i think becomes a Pro Bowl player if healthy.  Etieene is an elite back.  All 3 1st round talents imo

Naw, he wouldn't of been taken over LF or McCaffrey  as much as liked Etienne.  Neither would Harris. You don't pass on a RB that beat Barry Sanders record and that is explosive as CM is and can run routes like a elite WR, not to mention is a decent blocker and has great vision

McCaffrey is the best back in the league when healthy. If he had a good oline he is an automatic 1000 yards WR and 1000 yards rushing imo. HOF player and difference maker. If he stays healthy all year, as bad as Car QB position is I think they make the playoffs

Wanted Watson after he beat Alabama in the title game. Also thought McCaffrey was the better overall player over Fournette.

I don't mind the Etienne pick. Makes sense on paper. If he turns out being the Alvin Kamara of the AFC over the next few years he was worth the selection.

Might have a really nice Ingram/Kamara dual backfield game with Robinson/Etienne. Not a bad thing at all.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 07-31-2022, 04:53 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(07-31-2022, 04:48 PM)Caldrac Wrote:

Wanted Watson after he beat Alabama in the title game. Also thought McCaffrey was the better overall player over Fournette.

I don't mind the Etienne pick. Makes sense on paper. If he turns out being the Alvin Kamara of the AFC over the next few years he was worth the selection.

Might have a really nice Ingram/Kamara dual backfield game with Robinson/Etienne. Not a bad thing at all.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
If JRob comes back and is 100%, we have to give him an extension.   Having ETN and JRob for the next 4 years will be huge for Trev and the offense

(07-31-2022, 04:03 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

You HOPE ETN is an elite back. No one knows how he will turn out but we are hopeful.