Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
I Knew He Would Be Good

(08-01-2022, 08:31 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(07-31-2022, 03:39 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: I always found it extremely curious how people here hated ETN being taken at 25, but and maybe i'm remembering wrong but I feel like so many were excited for Fournette at 4 with Watson and Mahomes sitting there and Blake Bortles as our starter.

I didn't love taking a RB in the first either, but I did think his talent completely outweighed guys like Barmore/Elijah Moore etc that everyone here seemed to want, and honestly it would be pretty difficult for him to change my opinion on that cause those other dudes didn't look like 1st round talents. I think the only thing that made me personally question the pick was the fact that JR was so good the year prior..

hwut.

I defy you to find a single, solitary poster on this board who was even satisfied let alone enthusiastic about that pick.

Had we taken Barmore last year, we probably don't throw $30M at Foli this offseason. What do we do with $30M more in our pockets? Every decision has downstream effects.

Spend it on another position

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-01-2022, 08:31 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(07-31-2022, 03:39 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: I always found it extremely curious how people here hated ETN being taken at 25, but and maybe i'm remembering wrong but I feel like so many were excited for Fournette at 4 with Watson and Mahomes sitting there and Blake Bortles as our starter.

I didn't love taking a RB in the first either, but I did think his talent completely outweighed guys like Barmore/Elijah Moore etc that everyone here seemed to want, and honestly it would be pretty difficult for him to change my opinion on that cause those other dudes didn't look like 1st round talents. I think the only thing that made me personally question the pick was the fact that JR was so good the year prior..

hwut.

I defy you to find a single, solitary poster on this board who was even satisfied let alone enthusiastic about that pick.

Had we taken Barmore last year, we probably don't throw $30M at Foli this offseason. What do we do with $30M more in our pockets? Every decision has downstream effects.

I was not very enthusiastic about Fournette at 4th pick.  I was very enthusiastic about Etienne at 25th pick.

(08-01-2022, 08:28 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(08-01-2022, 08:23 AM)Mikey Wrote: 1) Nice hyperbole, I don't think you have any concrete proof that this allegation is plausible, but go on ahead with that.

2) Gonna say this not only directed at this post, but the general mindset. Ease up on the expectations. Putting a lot of faith in a lot of eggs that haven't had time to hatch. Don't expect all-world, and you won't have to be misdirecting disappointment later on. As fans I've seen us constantly setting the bar at unattainable levels of greatness only to be let down. It's not healthy to set bars this high only to watch guys fail to make the grade.

Not saying any of what you said CANNOT happen. It's possible, but there's a whole lot still uncertain about both guys for us to be worried about best duo in the league, top 100 form, or "elite" play, however that gets deemed. I do hope they fulfill this expectation, but I certainly am not going into even underwear practice expecting them to look that otherworldly.
1) what are you talking about?

2) I said if healthy.  We already have a back that's a top 100 player so if we can add another top back to this backfield it's not that crazy and i think Etiennehas the talent to be one of the top backs lile J Rob already is, of course a differer type of back..  I didn't say that's the bar I set for them I set I think they can be that if both healthy

1) hyperbole = exaggeration of a point. Saying that people would oppose guys like Barry, Henry, or LT just to say they didn't take an RB in the first is hyperbole.

2) so if they are both healthy and JRob is not a top 100 player, or they don't end up best duo in the league, you're not going to grumble?

(08-01-2022, 08:44 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(08-01-2022, 08:28 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: 1) what are you talking about?

2) I said if healthy.  We already have a back that's a top 100 player so if we can add another top back to this backfield it's not that crazy and i think Etiennehas the talent to be one of the top backs lile J Rob already is, of course a differer type of back..  I didn't say that's the bar I set for them I set I think they can be that if both healthy

1) hyperbole = exaggeration of a point. Saying that people would oppose guys like Barry, Henry, or LT just to say they didn't take an RB in the first is hyperbole.

2) so if they are both healthy and JRob is not a top 100 player, or they don't end up best duo in the league, you're not going to grumble?

1) It's been said hundreds of times on here by multiple people you don't take a RB in the first regardless.  It wouldn't be that hard to find on here with people saying that.

2)  https://youtu.be/NmpPJoL5j1k

JRob is not a top 100 player given the influx of talent that has come into the league since that list was made.

(08-01-2022, 09:00 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: JRob is not a top 100 player given the influx of talent that has come into the league since that list was made.

I disagree, that list was made last year and there are some older guys on that list that won't be on it anymore and those rookies last year can take their place over.  JRob won't be on it this year because of injury but if he comes back he is still top 100.  Jarvis Landry, Brandon Graham, Cole Beasley etc. I know you have never been that high on JRob and it was very shocking to you that he made that list that the players voted him on lol

(08-01-2022, 09:12 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(08-01-2022, 09:00 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: JRob is not a top 100 player given the influx of talent that has come into the league since that list was made.

I disagree, that list was made last year and there are some older guys on that list that won't be on it anymore and those rookies last year can take their place over.  JRob won't be on it this year because of injury but if he comes back he is still top 100.  Jarvis Landry, Brandon Graham, Cole Beasley etc. I know you have never been that high on JRob and it was very shocking to you that he made that list that the players voted him on lol
I’m not going to get too deep into this again because it just goes in circles.

That list was made after his rookie year. Since then, especially last years class, there has been a massive influx of talent that there is no chance JRob is on that list. He will likely never make that list again in his life because now he’s splitting time with ETN.

And yes, I was shocked he was on that list but that doesn’t mean I think he’s a bad player. I think he’s a very good player. I’m just not of the belief he’s a top 100 player. Again, doesn’t mean I don’t like JRob but you can find 100 better players than him and that includes probably 10-15 running backs.

(08-01-2022, 09:23 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(08-01-2022, 09:12 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I disagree, that list was made last year and there are some older guys on that list that won't be on it anymore and those rookies last year can take their place over.  JRob won't be on it this year because of injury but if he comes back he is still top 100.  Jarvis Landry, Brandon Graham, Cole Beasley etc. I know you have never been that high on JRob and it was very shocking to you that he made that list that the players voted him on lol

That list was made after his rookie year. Since then, especially last years class, there has been a massive influx of talent that there is no chance JRob is on that list. He will likely never make that list again in his life because now he’s splitting time with ETN.

And yes, I was shocked he was on that list but that doesn’t mean I think he’s a bad player. I think he’s a very good player. I’m just not of the belief he’s a top 100 player. Again, doesn’t mean I don’t like JRob but you can find 100 better players than him and that includes probably 10-15 running backs.
This list was made last year and he averaged more per carry last year than he did his rookie year, Meyer was the worst coach in NFL history and the injury is the only reason he wont make it this year.  There damn sure aren't 15 backs better than. J Rob and I'm not sure there is 10 backs better than JRob either if he's healthy

(08-01-2022, 09:23 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(08-01-2022, 09:12 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I disagree, that list was made last year and there are some older guys on that list that won't be on it anymore and those rookies last year can take their place over.  JRob won't be on it this year because of injury but if he comes back he is still top 100.  Jarvis Landry, Brandon Graham, Cole Beasley etc. I know you have never been that high on JRob and it was very shocking to you that he made that list that the players voted him on lol

The issue is that you really don't have that many RBs that truly belong in the top 100 anyway. On 25+ teams they are either Plug N Play guys or RBBC with splits in snaps.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(08-01-2022, 09:41 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(08-01-2022, 09:23 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: I’m not going to get too deep into this again because it just goes in circles.

This list was made last year and he averaged more per carry last year than he did his rookie year, Meyer was the worst coach in NFL history and the injury is the only reason he wont make it this year.  There damn sure aren't 15 backs better than. J Rob and I'm not sure there is 10 backs better than JRob either if he's healthy
I could easily make a list of 10 RBs that are better and likely 15 but does it matter? You will choose JRob over a lot of them because you’re bias towards Jags players.

(08-01-2022, 11:59 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(08-01-2022, 09:41 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: This list was made last year and he averaged more per carry last year than he did his rookie year, Meyer was the worst coach in NFL history and the injury is the only reason he wont make it this year.  There damn sure aren't 15 backs better than. J Rob and I'm not sure there is 10 backs better than JRob either if he's healthy
I could easily make a list of 10 RBs that are better and likely 15 but does it matter? You will choose JRob over a lot of them because you’re bias towards Jags players.

I guess all the players are bias as well being they voted him in the top 100.  In JRobs 2 years he hasnt averaged under 4.5 ypc.  2 years ago he was 6th in rushing and last year he was top 5 half way in the season until Urbz thought using Hyde was a better idea.  Do you think that is because our oline was that good?

(08-01-2022, 12:15 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(08-01-2022, 11:59 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: I could easily make a list of 10 RBs that are better and likely 15 but does it matter? You will choose JRob over a lot of them because you’re bias towards Jags players.

I guess all the players are bias as well being they voted him in the top 100.  In JRobs 2 years he hasnt averaged under 4.5 ypc.  2 years ago he was 6th in rushing and last year he was top 5 half way in the season until Urbz thought using Hyde was a better idea.  Do you think that is because our oline was that good?
You keep referencing this list that was made August 2021…. Before last season. Do you think he will still be top 100 when this season starts based on last season?

(This post was last modified: 08-01-2022, 12:25 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(08-01-2022, 12:22 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(08-01-2022, 12:15 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I guess all the players are bias as well being they voted him in the top 100.  In JRobs 2 years he hasnt averaged under 4.5 ypc.  2 years ago he was 6th in rushing and last year he was top 5 half way in the season until Urbz thought using Hyde was a better idea.  Do you think that is because our oline was that good?
You keep referencing this list that was made August 2021…. Before last season. Do you think he will still be top 100 when this season starts based on last season?

It depends on his health.  But if he is healthy then yes I still think he can be a top 10 back, he's only 23. I think we could possibly have 2 top 10 backs

Tavian Banks and Corey Grant never maximized their potential here. Etienne probably won't either. Everyone's fast in the NFL, and Etienne's biggest asset in college was that he was faster than most of those ACC defenders.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(08-01-2022, 12:22 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(08-01-2022, 12:15 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I guess all the players are bias as well being they voted him in the top 100.  In JRobs 2 years he hasnt averaged under 4.5 ypc.  2 years ago he was 6th in rushing and last year he was top 5 half way in the season until Urbz thought using Hyde was a better idea.  Do you think that is because our oline was that good?

He won't be on this year's list because he got hurt and Urbz wanted to play his boy Hyde.  But if Urbz played him and he didn't get hurt yes he would be on the list again

(This post was last modified: 08-01-2022, 12:52 PM by Jag149.)

All the "Top such-and-such lists" and other filler while a nice diversion and conversation pieces do not matter. All that counts is what happens in our next 17 season games.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

I'm just glad we drafted him over Teven Jenkins

(08-01-2022, 09:41 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(08-01-2022, 09:23 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: I’m not going to get too deep into this again because it just goes in circles.

I have mixed feelings about him. I'm excited that the jags found him, but I'm not sold that hes a superstar. Time will tell

My concern about drafting Etienne like we did was not about the player or position, but the fact that we had Robinson on the roster and there were plenty of holes elsewhere. If we had had a solid roster and could go best-player-available, I would not have objected to the pick, but we were nowhere near that.

(08-02-2022, 09:20 PM)Norseman Wrote: My concern about drafting Etienne like we did was not about the player or position, but the fact that we had Robinson on the roster and there were plenty of holes elsewhere. If we had had a solid roster and could go best-player-available, I would not have objected to the pick, but we were nowhere near that.

That's completely backwards thinking.

On a really bad team there's little reason to even worry about what talent you currently have because you really don't have enough for it to make a difference.

The Jaguars should be focused on always getting the best players they can regardless of what they think their needs are.