Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Big PGA Thread

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(06-06-2023, 11:17 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: https://twitter.com/ESPN_Schick/status/1...03810?s=20

Lol. The players that didn't take the money must be piiiiiissssssed!

Great news for golf fans.

(This post was last modified: 06-06-2023, 11:58 AM by homebiscuit. Edited 1 time in total.)

I would love to see the LIV format punctuate the PGA tour a few times per season. Imagine a team made up of Justin Thomas, Spieth, McIlroy and Morikawa along with other teams of PGA players, competing on world class venues (TPC Sawgrass comes to mind) for bigger bucks than LIV is paying now. That would be a huge draw.

Brooks and Phil walk in the clubhouse like

[Image: walk-in-baller.gif]
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Here's a different view.

https://www.si.com/golf/news/with-stunni...2023-06-07

"In one move, Monahan brought in billions and killed LIV Golf."

The idea being that the PGA Tour is the model for professional golf going forward, and the Saudis are now investing in the PGA Tour.

"For all the talk about a “merger,” the truth is that LIV Golf, as we knew it, is folding. The Saudi Arabian royal family is diverting its funding to the PGA Tour and DP World Tour."

(06-06-2023, 11:58 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I would love to see the LIV format punctuate the PGA tour a few times per season. Imagine a team made up of Justin Thomas, Spieth, McIlroy and Morikawa along with other teams of PGA players, competing on world class venues (TPC Sawgrass comes to mind) for bigger bucks than LIV is paying now. That would be a huge draw.

Does anyone really care about team golf?

(06-07-2023, 07:25 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Here's a different view. 

The idea being that the PGA Tour is the model for professional golf going forward, and the Saudis are now investing in the PGA Tour. 

"For all the talk about a “merger,” the truth is that LIV Golf, as we knew it, is folding. The Saudi Arabian royal family is diverting its funding to the PGA Tour and DP World Tour."

I don't think PIF's intent with LIV was to build a competing tour that lasted a long time.  Their intent was to disrupt the sport enough to gain control of an American sports league, similar to what they did with soccer.  I think he accomplished his mission much faster than anyone believed.  PIF wins, hands down, without a doubt.

Could you argue that LIV lost? Sure, but LIV was just a front.

(06-07-2023, 07:54 AM)KingIngram052787 Wrote:
(06-07-2023, 07:25 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Here's a different view. 

I don't think PIF's intent with LIV was to build a competing tour that lasted a long time.  Their intent was to disrupt the sport enough to gain control of an American sports league, similar to what they did with soccer.  I think he accomplished his mission much faster than anyone believed.  PIF wins, hands down, without a doubt.

Could you argue that LIV lost? Sure, but LIV was just a front.

Great point.  Obviously, there are many layers to this.

(06-06-2023, 08:31 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Brooks and Phil walk in the clubhouse like

[Image: walk-in-baller.gif]

Nice one !!

(06-07-2023, 07:46 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(06-06-2023, 11:58 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I would love to see the LIV format punctuate the PGA tour a few times per season. Imagine a team made up of Justin Thomas, Spieth, McIlroy and Morikawa along with other teams of PGA players, competing on world class venues (TPC Sawgrass comes to mind) for bigger bucks than LIV is paying now. That would be a huge draw.

Ryder Cup, President’s Cup and match play. I would say there is a market.

(06-07-2023, 09:03 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(06-07-2023, 07:46 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Does anyone really care about team golf?

Ryder Cup, President’s Cup and match play. I would say there is a market.

I do love the PGA format as is, but I also enjoy the Ryder Cup immensely. 

While I don't want to see "team golf" pervade the PGA tour, I could certainly get excited for one more, maybe two events mixed into the schedule that way. 

They could target a couple of smaller tourneys that happen the week after a major -  get a few big names to commit to the new format that week with some fresh marketing. Could be fun without being too much of a sideshow, and still retain PGA and world ranking consequence if they hammer out the rules properly. 

Rory's squad vs Brooks' team would be, um, interesting 
Tongue Big Grin

(06-07-2023, 07:46 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

I've long said that golf should be a team sport.

Imagine having a 4 person team where each person had an area of expertise. The rounds would be so fun to watch.

I enjoy my own personal rounds but I definitely have more fun playing in scrambles and best balls.

(06-07-2023, 09:38 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(06-07-2023, 09:03 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Ryder Cup, President’s Cup and match play. I would say there is a market.

I do love the PGA format as is, but I also enjoy the Ryder Cup immensely. 

While I don't want to see "team golf" pervade the PGA tour, I could certainly get excited for one more, maybe two events mixed into the schedule that way. 

They could target a couple of smaller tourneys that happen the week after a major -  get a few big names to commit to the new format that week with some fresh marketing. Could be fun without being too much of a sideshow, and still retain PGA and world ranking consequence if they hammer out the rules properly. 

Rory's squad vs Brooks' team would be, um, interesting 
Tongue Big Grin

That’s what I’m talking about. With an undercurrent of LIV animosity spicing it up. That would be great to watch.

I wouldn't hate seeing a team event mixed with LPGA players, I think that could be cool.

Here's Rory McIlroy's take. Apparently he was given a heads-up by Jimmy Dunn, one of the power brokers who engineered the deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuGpOk6Rh9k

(06-07-2023, 11:26 AM)KingIngram052787 Wrote: I wouldn't hate seeing a team event mixed with LPGA players, I think that could be cool.

Make the girls play from the [BLEEP] err, tips and make it interesting.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 06-08-2023, 06:32 PM by NewJagsCity. Edited 2 times in total.)

Congrats PGA and Jay Monahan. You now officially look like fools.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(06-08-2023, 06:29 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: Congrats PGA and Jay Monahan. You now officially look like fools.

I've seen all kinds of different interpretations of the situation.  The one you cite, and then there are others who say the PGA Tour has effectively killed LIV Golf by co-opting the PIF.  According to the outlined agreement, the PGA Tour and Jay Monahan are now pretty much in charge of professional golf.  

Personally, I think both sides were in a no-win situation, and Monahan is allowing the PIF to invest in the PGA Tour in order to end the litigation and kill LIV golf.