Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
*** Official Game Thread - Hall of Fame Game ***

(08-04-2022, 11:13 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: We need to find a serviceable backup QB during the preseason cuts. We are one injury away from another 1 or 2 win season.

CJB didn't play, nursing an injury of his own.
In normal times, I imagine he's the backup, and would have to be pretty hurt to sit out real action.

I don't think Luton or Sloter did enough to stick as a third.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-04-2022, 10:26 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: so daniels and peterson talked before the game and agreed to keep it simple

and the butthead daniels says i grew up here no way im losing this game in front of my family --- we going with the reverse LOL

This too lol

Everyone is so upset but even the announcers commented that Doug was probably a little annoyed they agreed to be basic/vanilla and McDaniels is calling plays like the playoffs were on the line.

Not to mention they had starters on the OL and their #1/#2 RBs running. JRob and ETN would have been busting big runs too if they were out there with some starting OL

(This post was last modified: 08-05-2022, 09:04 AM by Jag88. Edited 1 time in total.)

(08-05-2022, 08:32 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(08-04-2022, 10:26 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: so daniels and peterson talked before the game and agreed to keep it simple

and the butthead daniels says i grew up here no way im losing this game in front of my family --- we going with the reverse LOL

This too lol

Everyone is so upset but even the announcers commented that Doug was probably a little annoyed they agreed to be basic/vanilla and McDaniels is calling plays like the playoffs were on the line.

Not to mention they had starters on the OL and their #1/#2 RBs running. JRob and ETN would have been busting big runs too if they were out there with some starting OL

^^ good points and I noticed that too. Also throw in luton who looked as bad as I remembered and thought he would still be.

Uh… we’re complaining that Vegas played starters and more complex plays, giving our coaches the opportunity to pick the diamonds from the rough? To identify the guys who played their role despite the better talent across from them? Ok…

The Jags named 21 players who have already made the roster, 15 who play offence (those who were named as not playing). So there will be 32 players we saw today who make the roster of the 67 who got on the field yesterday. And only 25 who will get to suit up every week. The coaches need to find players who can hold it together when tossed in from nowhere in a whole new scheme. Anyone who didn’t have an all-star pff rating would be feeling pretty nervous, I suspect. Particularly if they played in the first half which had the players on the field who are most likely to get on the roster.

(This post was last modified: 08-06-2022, 05:09 AM by Caldrac.)

Yeah. Not sure why anybody is really panicking over that game. That was mostly players barely hanging onto the bottom half of your roster to begin with, or, a few key players (Arden Key, literally) here and there getting some work in early just to get the rust off and jitters out of the way. People were being hard on Muma but the guy was actually around the football a lot more than some of these other guys that won't be on the team in about a month from now.

Not going to crucify a player like Muma for taking a bad angle against Josh Jacobs in his first NFL experience. Especially when I know at some point this year he's probably going to be lining up with the other ten best players on defense they can produce in any given down and distance and he'll be able to focus more and get to the ball when the guys upfront are actually holding up their end of the bargain.

Pederson said it best though after the game. A lot of those issues we saw, he saw it, he acknowledged it, however, he said exactly what you want to hear, "Those things are coachable and fixable". When he says that though I actually believe him. He doesn't sound like a clueless micromanager with a giant ego spewing out of an empty windbag like Urban Miller did last year. We're already off to a great start.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(08-05-2022, 06:27 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: I didn't watch the second half either but was expecting the usual preseason angst after a meaningless game. If it makes you feel any better, here's another perspective.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2022-hall-of-fa...er-jaguars

Ya but, it’s the same every year. We can look back the last 5 seasons and see the exact same conversations and same excuses. The Raiders looked much better. This team is still a bad team.
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

2 huge take aways..

#1 its preseason
#2 some of our back ups suck.

(08-06-2022, 06:39 AM)Ronster Wrote:
(08-05-2022, 06:27 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: I didn't watch the second half either but was expecting the usual preseason angst after a meaningless game. If it makes you feel any better, here's another perspective.

Ya but, it’s the same every year. We can look back the last 5 seasons and see the exact same conversations and same excuses. The Raiders looked much better. This team is still a bad team.

Brilliant insight.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(08-06-2022, 06:39 AM)Ronster Wrote:

That's going to happen when one team is starting mostly starters and another team is starting mostly backups (and in some cases 3 deep). It's a meaningless game true, but the Jags would have looked better with their starters in and a game plan. The reality is this game meant a lot to McDanials, he was playing to win. You could see it in the way he was calling plays.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(08-06-2022, 08:23 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(08-06-2022, 06:39 AM)Ronster Wrote: Ya but, it’s the same every year. We can look back the last 5 seasons and see the exact same conversations and same excuses. The Raiders looked much better. This team is still a bad team.

Brilliant insight.
Careful!

People get mad when you say mean things to Ronster. He’s delicate.

(This post was last modified: 08-06-2022, 11:02 AM by Ronster. Edited 2 times in total.)

(08-06-2022, 10:07 AM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(08-06-2022, 06:39 AM)Ronster Wrote: Ya but, it’s the same every year. We can look back the last 5 seasons and see the exact same conversations and same excuses. The Raiders looked much better. This team is still a bad team.

That's going to happen when one team is starting mostly starters and another team is starting mostly backups (and in some cases 3 deep). It's a meaningless game true, but the Jags would have looked better with their starters in and a game plan. The reality is this game meant a lot to McDanials, he was playing to win. You could see it in the way he was calling plays.

I’m gonna minimize my excitement until they start earning it. I know it was a meaningless game, but it still exposed quite a few weaknesses. Next week they must show some improvement, substantial improvement.
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

(08-06-2022, 11:01 AM)Ronster Wrote:
(08-06-2022, 10:07 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: That's going to happen when one team is starting mostly starters and another team is starting mostly backups (and in some cases 3 deep). It's a meaningless game true, but the Jags would have looked better with their starters in and a game plan. The reality is this game meant a lot to McDanials, he was playing to win. You could see it in the way he was calling plays.

I’m gonna minimize my excitement until they start earning it. I know it was a meaningless game, but it still exposed quite a few weaknesses. Next week they must show some improvement, substantial improvement.
The weakness that got exposed is some of our depth and our 3rd string QB

(This post was last modified: 08-06-2022, 01:55 PM by RicoTx.)

(08-06-2022, 11:01 AM)Ronster Wrote:
(08-06-2022, 10:07 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: That's going to happen when one team is starting mostly starters and another team is starting mostly backups (and in some cases 3 deep). It's a meaningless game true, but the Jags would have looked better with their starters in and a game plan. The reality is this game meant a lot to McDanials, he was playing to win. You could see it in the way he was calling plays.

How in the world were 'weaknesses exposes' when a bunch of second and third teamers were playing?  I'm really curious.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(08-06-2022, 10:22 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(08-06-2022, 08:23 AM)RicoTx Wrote: Brilliant insight.
Careful!

People get mad when you say mean things to Ronster. He’s delicate.

He's not as cranky over here. 

I didn't even know there was a game until after the fact. I'll look for highlights online. It does kind of feel like football season even though I'm pretty disconnected from it all. One of the downfalls of streaming TV is you don't get local news unless you look for it.

(08-06-2022, 12:26 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: The weakness that got exposed is some of our depth and our 3rd string QB

Does anyone see a reason to play Lutton going forward? He just consistently looks like he can’t handle it.

Personally, I would rather see them use that roster spot on someone that might develop into a decent backup. Maybe even someone we could flip for a draft pick down the road.

I think Lutton has shown it hasn’t clicked and probably won’t at this point. Churn that roster spot for another lotto ticket.

The fact that Jake Lutons first nfl pass was a 70+ yard td pass has to be the most "any given sunday" thing ever.

Dude sucks so much.