Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Browns vs Jags

They have one of the best offensive lines and running backs in the NFL. If they play their starting OLINE and Nick Chubb Friday, they likely run right over us.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-08-2022, 12:45 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: I'd like to see a couple of series with our starting O against thier starting D.  And when I say our starting O, I mean with ETN.  Browns are still really good on D.

If our starting D can't stop Brissette, then its going to be a long year....again.

Same

I'd be fine if ETN did not play a single down in the pre-season.

We are in between a rock and the proverbial hard place. Coaches would like to maybe not play starters, but with so many new faces they may be forced to. Takes a bit for a team like this to learn to play together
A new broom always sweeps clean.

I just hope everyone has a good time.

(08-08-2022, 10:24 PM)Jag149 Wrote: We are in between a rock and the proverbial hard place.  Coaches would like to maybe not play starters, but with so many new faces they may be forced to. Takes a bit for a team like this to learn to play together

Never understood that.    Even when we had Gabbert, who needed the reps, we placed him on the sidelines as if the dude was Tom Brady.

The fact that the Raiders were much more physical than the Jags last week showed our practices definitely are not sufficient to go into Week 1 in a prepared manner.

Oh cool, just noticed it’s televised out here.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(08-09-2022, 01:36 PM)RicoTx Wrote: Oh cool, just noticed it’s televised out here.

After that wonderful showing at the nationally televised HOF Game, the national public is demanding all Jags games be nationally televised.

(08-09-2022, 01:57 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(08-09-2022, 01:36 PM)RicoTx Wrote: Oh cool, just noticed it’s televised out here.

After that wonderful showing at the nationally televised HOF Game, the national public is demanding all Jags games be nationally televised.   I heard the Russians even offered up Brittany Griner if they can gain access to the Jags on TV.

If you think that games was a true indication of the team, not sure what to say.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(08-06-2022, 02:18 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I really think the starting offense and starting defense should play a minimum of two series against the Browns. I also think the playing time should actually increase as you get closer to the regular season.

Hall of Fame: Nothing
2nd week: Two series (three if they play like dog [BLEEP] on the first two)
3rd week: One quarter (again, quarter and a half if they play like dog [BLEEP] in the first one)
4th week: One half (with a no huddle, two minute drill worked in whether or not you have the ball on offense inside the actual 2:00 minute mark)

I know traditionally teams will do the opposite and give their starters a break in the final preseason game and they want the back-up's or the "on the bubble" players to get more reps, yadda, yadda, yadda, etc.

You could flip that argument around either way. I just feel with this being a new coaching staff and a lot of new faces playing on both sides of the football this year? The more live rounds the better. You can't play scared forever. You maybe make one or a few reasonable exceptions (i.e, Robinson, Etienne, Scherff) because of their histories and recent injuries. But, they need to get as much real time in as they can with everybody else.

Agreed and there is also a bye week now after the last preseason game right?

Play the durn starters until they can show they earned a sit.

Another interesting thing to watch is how the refs call the two areas of focus that were release yesterday.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/nfl...r-AA10rq3b
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(08-09-2022, 03:01 PM)Jag149 Wrote: Another interesting thing to watch is how the refs call the two areas of focus that were release yesterday. 
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/nfl...r-AA10rq3b

Ugh

I absolutely HATE when the league does this to refs

You've got 17 different officiating crews, and you'll get near that same number of interpretations of this "focus" or emphasis.

A few crews are going to go buck-wild calling it too much, and the worst part is that choosing to focus on this at the perfect moment(s) could alter the outcome of contests.

Trevor and ETN are going to play Friday.

Awesome.

(08-10-2022, 08:43 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Trevor and ETN are going to play Friday.

Awesome.

Great way to start the weekend!
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(08-10-2022, 09:07 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: https://twitter.com/espndirocco/status/1...3nLaQYKL3w

This will be a good test against a solid D, assuming the Brownies play their starters.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Watson to start Friday

I want to see the following on Friday night:

Offensively

1. I want to watch the tackles. Somehow I doubt Myles Garrett or even Jadeveon Clowney gets much playing time. But since the starters are getting a series or two, I want to see how the Ts hold up against one or two outstanding pass rushers who can offer speed and power. That's offer a good measuring stick to see how far the tackles have come in pass protection.

2. The receivers against that secondary. Te Browns had added a bunch of talented players to that secondary ver the past few years. Sadly for them, they haven't been able to stay healthy. Since it's early, those guys should be healthy. If the Browns starters are playing, I'd like to see our receivers-including the TEs- find a way to make some plays against them.

3. Yravis Eitienne-been waiting for him to show his stuff for the Jaguars since the 2021 draft. Now that he's finally healthy, I'd like to see him make a big play.

4. Trevor Lawrence-if the first 2-3 are working well above, then Trevor Lawrence should continue to look sharp. Him guiding us to an opening drive TD would be most welcome.

5. Few offensive penalties. I don't want to see the comedy of errors the Urban Blight era came to represent (see opening week against Houston). We had enough drives get sabotaged by stupid penalties before they got started, putting Trevor Lawrence in a worse position. Give us a chance to do something good offensively.

Defensively:

1. Hold up well against the run. The Browns starting offensive line is possibly the best OL in the league and possibly the best OL we'll face this year. They have a strong running attack, and we'll see how far this team has come in improving against the run.

2. Holding up against the deep pass-Donovan Peoples Jones turned out to be a pretty good receiver for the Browns and can get deep. I would like to see us shut down that deep passing attack, especially if they decide to get Watsom some playing time. Of course, this would likely entail...

3. Getting good pressure on the QBs. You could copy and paste all most of paragraph 1 and apply it here. If Walker could have some success against guys like Wills and RT Conklin, I would feel better about Walker's prospects for success. Last week was good, but him beating these guys would be huge.

4. Stopping the screen-'nuuff said

5. No stupid penalties-last year the team had a lot of momentum killing penalties that extended too many drives. We need more disciplined play.

Special teams:

1. Of course, the FG kicking battle. Will a leader emerge? Jamal St. Cyr seemed to indicate Santoso has developed a slight edge in part because Fry doesn't have the leg strength.

2. Integrity-Will coverage teams stay in their lanes and prevent ling returns? WIll punting teams and FG teams maintain their blocking assignments to prevent any blocks>

Overall:

STAY HEALTHY and PLAY WELL

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(08-08-2022, 08:47 PM)scottyg Wrote: I'd be fine if ETN did not play a single down in the pre-season.

I feel this way about all of our starters.