Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What do you want to see from the starters this week?

(08-13-2022, 07:03 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(08-13-2022, 05:59 AM)OzJohnnie Wrote: I suspect they are trying to balance a few challenges.  A rookie center will be stretched, particularly early in the season, and having a guy on either side of him who are grisly veterans may be a safe bet for on-field coaching, etc.  But perhaps Bartch is a better guard than Shatley, but playing Bartch means you lose that on field coaching (if that’s what they are working at, which I think they are.  The veterans on either side idea came from the Pederson pre-game interview).

So the question is: what makes the line stronger?  Shatley next to Fortner with the on-the-spot mentorship or a slightly better Bartch but Fortner with less experience next to him?

My guess is we see Bartch getting practice time with the 1’s this week.  I think the decision on Shately or Bartch is less on the merits of them as individuals but how well Fortner plays lined up next to each of them.

EDIT: As I think about this some more, perhaps the reason Bartch has had some unexpected time running C drills is to give them the option of a less experienced LG.  Maybe if Bartch understands the C responsibilities better then he’ll be less dependent on an experienced player in that position.  Dunno.  Shatley didn’t play well so they have to consider options to try next week.  Or maybe take a punt on Shatley for the first three weeks of the season and then make a switch if they must.

EDIT II:  Fortner may have something to do with Little getting a first team go as well.  Scherff can only spread himself so thin.  Fortner’s development may have a say as to how much inexperience they can accept on both sides of Scherff.  How many times has Press Taylor said they need to figure the best combination of men in the OLine, or words to that effect?  Sure, in one-on-one comparisons you may select different guys, but if you decide to put Fortner in at center then the question mark positions, LG and RT, become a choice of the best person/experience combination on the line.  Could be.  Only the coaches know for sure,  guess.

So, it begs the question- what if our swing tackle is actually our best LG?  I wonder if they've thought of making a decision at RT and moving Jawaan Taylor to LG.

Why do people think Taylor can play guard?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I have to say I was impressed with the way the 1s looked. Forget the stats, they look the part and that's all that really matters right now. Wins, losses, whatever it's preseason... The reality is Trevor looks much improved and ETN was explosive when the line was blocking for him. I worry about the depth, but if we can remain healthy we're gonna surprise a team or two.

(08-13-2022, 07:13 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(08-13-2022, 07:03 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: So, it begs the question- what if our swing tackle is actually our best LG?  I wonder if they've thought of making a decision at RT and moving Jawaan Taylor to LG.

Why do people think Taylor can play guard?
Because there is a history of failed tackles moving inside and having success at G, and there is always a hope by fans that they can fill holes adequately with guys already on the roster.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(08-11-2022, 12:09 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I'd like to see the starting offense get two series in just looking competent and dialed in.
CHECK

I don't expect fireworks, I don't expect flashy, I just want to see them look like they are on pace to be competitive on September 11th vs the Commanders.
CHECK - although, LG and RT are still a concern

It would be nice to see what Shatley and Fortner look like vs the browns starters if they play.  That's the "concern" area of the line IMO.
The Shatley concern was well-founded

A bonus would be to see a flash or two from guys like Engram, Arnold, Etienne, and Zay.
CHECK, three of those four flashed -  ETN didn't light the worlds on fire but there were three good plays on tape in limited work
Defensively - I'd just like to see them play well against the run. They still won't have both starting LBs on the field yet, but they need to start getting that run D ready for regular season. It's not there yet.
CHECK (starters only) Oluokun looks like the real deal, and Fatukasi will be a big help as well

Mostly saw what I had hoped to see

(08-14-2022, 12:35 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(08-11-2022, 12:09 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I'd like to see the starting offense get two series in just looking competent and dialed in.
CHECK

I don't expect fireworks, I don't expect flashy, I just want to see them look like they are on pace to be competitive on September 11th vs the Commanders.
CHECK - although, LG and RT are still a concern

It would be nice to see what Shatley and Fortner look like vs the browns starters if they play.  That's the "concern" area of the line IMO.
The Shatley concern was well-founded

A bonus would be to see a flash or two from guys like Engram, Arnold, Etienne, and Zay.
CHECK, three of those four flashed -  ETN didn't light the worlds on fire but there were three good plays on tape in limited work
Defensively - I'd just like to see them play well against the run. They still won't have both starting LBs on the field yet, but they need to start getting that run D ready for regular season. It's not there yet.
CHECK (starters only) Oluokun looks like the real deal, and Fatukasi will be a big help as well too

Mostly saw what I had hoped to see

Agree with most except I don't see RT a concern with what I have seen from Walker.   Dude looks solid to me, and I think the more snaps at RT he gets the better he will get.  Most also had him as a top 10 pick before his Injury as well so it's not like he just came out of nowhere.  He just looks naturaly huge and moves good and has good power

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-14-2022, 12:42 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(08-14-2022, 12:35 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Mostly saw what I had hoped to see

Agree with most except I don't see RT a concern with what I have seen from Walker.   Dude looks solid to me, and I think the more snaps at RT he gets the better he will get.  Most also had him as a top 10 pick before his Injury as well so it's not like he just came out of nowhere.  He just looks naturaly huge and moves good and has good power

I think he'll settle in fine, but there were some scary moments from him. 
My greater concern is not how Walker will pan out, but that they keep trotting Taylor out there.
Are they not seeing what we're seeing? 
I don't want another Wingard over Cisco situation playing out. 
Huh

(08-12-2022, 12:27 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: I'm mostly interested in the starters.  I would love to see the starting offense move down the field with ease and score

The Jaguars opened with a field goal, field goal and a touchdown on their first three possessions before largely turning it over to the backups.  Three touchdowns would have been ideal, but I'm pleased with the way the first team offense operated.

while the defense gives 3 and outs,

The defense opened with three 3 and outs.  Technically, one of them was a 2 and out due to a fumble recovered by the Jaguars, but that's even better.  Our first team defense looked good.

If I had to be specific about something on offense, I would like to see some big plays.  A long pass from Trevor Lawrence to Zay Jones would be nice. 

Zay Jones had a 32 yard reception.

A long ETN run would also be good to see. 

I was hoping for longer, but he did have a 12 yard run which isn't bad in limited playing time.  Watching him play, he definitely showed the ability to make long runs this season.

For defense, the one thing would be for Travon Walker to continue to look good.  

Walker continued to look good.  Although no sacks, Walker drew a holding penalty from the Browns and was constantly disruptive.  

I largely saw in the game what I most wanted to see.