Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Players of the game/Bums of the Game vs Browns

I just watched the first half again without my beer goggles on and man o man is Travon Walker going to be a great player. Kudos to Baalke!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

ETN is the mobs target this year. Bank on it. Good or bad season, ETN will be nagged on as a wasted pick, a bust, blah blah blah. Nevermind the dude is essentially a rookie still and coming off a pretty serious and usually career changing injury.

Honestly TLaw played great, but there were some decisions he made where he threw to guys completely covered. I thought he made some questionable decisions. It seemed like he had a gunslinger mentality which is fine but will prob result in more turnovers in the regular season.

(This post was last modified: 08-13-2022, 10:30 AM by Jag149.)

(08-13-2022, 08:37 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(08-13-2022, 08:00 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Complaining about depth on a team that’s had the #1 pick in back to back years? Guess that’s better than complaining about the Starters lol

And most teams don’t have good depth because it’s really hard to have that. Which teams have good depth anyway?

I’ll say the same thing I said last game…how many times are you going to see the ENTIRE second or third unit playing together in the regular season.

This.

Went to game and liked the progress. Looking forward to seeing more of the same as we go through the season. I would comment on how our backups did but decided to self medicate after the starters left the field. After reading this string I made the correct choice it seems.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

I don’t like killing the offensive depth too much.

Playing with an injured Beathard or Luton just isn’t giving them a fair shot.

Slot in some of those players with Lawrence and the rest of the starters and they would look fine.

I saw what I needed to see from the starters. So far our backups suck but we're building from the ground up. Those other more established teams probably place more emphasis on their 2nd string. They have more veteran players and their 2nd string have probably been getting majority of the practice time.

Thought ETN looked explosive early, didn't like the cut backs and dancing...

Lawrence looked good, couple questionable throws, the one to ETN needed a little more touch on it.

Shatley didn't help himself.

Jones and Treadwell had good games. Breath of fresh air to see the TEs get some catches.

Starting D looked lights out.
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

The good:
The overall team speed is greatly improved even without Kirk and Lloyd out there.
Tyson Campbell- I am beyond impressed by everything with this young man but his strong mental outlook is off the charts. He plays the game with the physicality that reminds me of the great Darrell’s Revis. This man is fearless on the gridiron and it has been a joy to watch him develop his craft.
Travon Walker-this player fits the team like a glove. This was the right pick. The man’s work ethic is what we needed. Big and strong. A true centerpiece of the defense. He will improve as his technique improves but his power move/bull rush will always be he go to move that he will counter off of. This will be the player that opposing QBs will identify presnap in the future. His strength reminds me of a smaller version on Reggie White and his approach to the game reminds me of Tony Boselli in that he is solely focused on his assignment for the game.
Zay Jones was running open for much of the game yesterday. That was something that we haven’t seen around here since the Jimmy/Keenan days and boy was it nice to see. He looks like an upgrade from DJ Chark and a very nice addition to the team.
The bad:
The depth on the team is very poor. It’s year one of this new regime and hopefully they are able to identify and develop some young players into our system.
The depth at offensive line is the main area of concern in my opinion and I would not be surprised to see a player or 2 added to the roster after final cuts.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

Learn from the great collapse of 2023.  

(08-13-2022, 10:17 AM)Jagsman Wrote: Honestly TLaw played great, but there were some decisions he made where he threw to guys completely covered. I thought he made some questionable decisions. It seemed like he had a gunslinger mentality which is fine but will prob result in more turnovers in the regular season.

He's throwing too late in the route. Coaching should be able to clean that up. If not, then there will be issues.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

I keep thinking this is Trevor's first year with a quality HC, what looks to be a good receiving corps and protection and a good defense. I'm hoping any bad habits he learned are quickly forgotten and he is able to do what we all believe he can do and the team can fall in and do their jobs. No distractions, no stupid crap, no egos. Just learn the plays each week and go out there and win.

(08-13-2022, 10:17 AM)Jagsman Wrote: Honestly TLaw played great, but there were some decisions he made where he threw to guys completely covered. I thought he made some questionable decisions. It seemed like he had a gunslinger mentality which is fine but will prob result in more turnovers in the regular season.

His random poor decisions are the absolute most frustraiting thing to me. It feels like most of the times last year when he'd throw into coverage it was never a situation that warranted it. It could be first down, 1st quarter, tie game and he'd throw it into double coverage and it would just make me scratch my head. He makes some really good decisions and then follows it with either an inaccurate pass or just a really bone headed throw. I saw this type of play in every game last year, and in a ton of his snaps at Clemson. It's by far my main concern, right above his shaky accuracy at times. 

He does things you'd expect him to do down late or under pressure.

(08-13-2022, 01:32 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:

His random poor decisions are the absolute most frustraiting thing to me. It feels like most of the times last year when he'd throw into coverage it was never a situation that warranted it. It could be first down, 1st quarter, tie game and he'd throw it into double coverage and it would just make me scratch my head. He makes some really good decisions and then follows it with either an inaccurate pass or just a really bone headed throw. I saw this type of play in every game last year, and in a ton of his snaps at Clemson. It's by far my main concern, right above his shaky accuracy at times. 

He threw the ball 12 times last night.

How many mistakes or bad decisions did you see? 

Here's what actually happened:

1. beautiful throw to ZJ on sideline - passed up #11 open underneath to connect deeper against one-on-one - saw the CB back turned and threw a strike

2. Slight overthrow to Zay 

3. Designed roll out with two TE rolling with him, both were well covered, TL wisely tried to lead Engram inside away from the good coverage but Engram was planted and didn't move back inside where the ball was placed

4. Defensive holding  stopped the route he was throwing to (deep crosser) - he saw it - threw it at the feet of underneath guy accepting the free 1st down - basically a throwaway 

5. Great pass over the middle to Manhertz, came out a touch late but had enough zip to make up for it - patient in pocket with some pressure here

6. Forced one to Treadwell when he should have waited a beat and floated one to Engram

7. Etienne dropped ball

8. Grounds ball when about to be sacked

9. Good pass to corner of EZ, PI not called - underneath routes were covered 

10. good pass to Treadwell

11. Swing pass to ETN - well executed (easy velocity - not lasered) 

12. TD to Engram 

That's 2 mistakes by my count.   (104.5 QBR)

What you got?

Regarding the statement in red:
He didn't do any of that vs the browns, and in fact most of that stuff that he did last year was when he was down by 2 scores or more and trying to come back with a crappy playbook and very little help. 

His stats on first downs during the first half of games last season were all above average. Some very good. 
It was when he had his back to the wall that the majority of his rookie mistakes happened. 

Making two mistakes out of 12 attempts last night was far from perfect, but neither error resulted in an INT, and he was responsible for leading the offense to put 13 points on the board in 16 minutes of a football game. 
So, what frustrated you?

(08-13-2022, 10:35 AM)rufftime Wrote: I don’t like killing the offensive depth too much.

Playing with an injured Beathard or Luton just isn’t giving them a fair shot.

Slot in some of those players with Lawrence and the rest of the starters and they would look fine.

There's a whole video on Youtube analyzing his play vs Raiders last week. Luton gets a  positive rating considering we're talking about a backup. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxGzOT_FsWE&t=1s

I've been disappointed with Snoop Connor thus far. Granted, I did not have high expectations but I feel like it is possible to pick up solid RBs late in the draft these days. I have really not seen any potential from him at all. I know that he is good in pass protection and he was good in the redzone at Ole Miss, but it is so boring to see such vanilla running. He has not stood out in any way.

Thank you NYC4jags for speaking some sense, fan expectations are looking ridiculous, people are moaning about a couple of questionable throws in a pre season game that means nothing and has no game planning.

I hate to break it to you all but no qb goes through any game with out having a couple of bad throws or decisions. Even the best qbs in the league who for the most part have a much better team around them than Trevor does, our starters were 13-0 up , that’s a good thing and is something to build on. Yes there were some red zone struggles but this is a new offence and that’s the hardest part of the game. They will get better.

As for depth we’ve been the worse team in the league two years how can you expect to have much quality depth , depth comes when starters are pushed down the roster when better players are drafted if we start to improve eventually our depth will. I honestly don’t get the negativity . Yes it wasn’t perfect but it’s never going to be. It’s just about building momentum as a team and fan base going into the season

(This post was last modified: 08-14-2022, 07:41 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 5 times in total.)

I've read a few posts from people who are down on Snoop Connor or Travis Etienne.  But just for a little perspective- I remember when Fred Taylor was a rookie, and at first, he looked like a bust.  He ran directly into blockers, danced around looking for the hole, in other words everything we saw out of both of these running backs in their very first first NFL game.  It is true that out of all the positions on the team, running back has the shortest learning curve, and rookie backs can do very well, but it's not like they're great right out of the box.

And by the way- In preseason week 1: 
Top running back pick in the 2022 draft Breece Hall had 5 carries for 15 yards.  
Second running back picked in the draft Kenneth Walker had 5 carries for 19 yards.

(08-14-2022, 04:50 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I've read a few posts from people who are down on Snoop Connor or Travis Etienne.  But just for a little perspective- I remember when Fred Taylor was a rookie, and at first, he looked like a bust.  He ran directly into blockers, danced around looking for the hole, in other words everything we saw out of both of these running backs in their very first first NFL game.  It is true that out of all the positions on the team, running back has the shortest learning curve, and rookie backs can do very well, but it's not like they're great right out of the box.

And by the way- In preseason week 1: 
Top running back pick in the 2022 draft Breece Hall had 5 carries for 15 yards.  
Second running back picked in the draft Kenneth Walker had 5 carries for 19 yards.

This gives me hope. Especially the Fred Taylor situation.

(08-13-2022, 01:32 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:

I’ve been following this all gf season pretty closely and I only recall one interception the entire time. I think his decision making is greatly improved.

I liked what I saw out of Etienne. He is a hard runner with burner type speed. He’s Jamal Charles.

(08-14-2022, 10:23 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I liked what I saw out of Etienne. He is a hard runner with burner type speed. He’s Jamal Charles.

That’s a great comparison which I hope comes to fruition.