Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Impressions From the Browns Preseason Game

It's just preseason, and it's not as if I have a good memory of past preseason games, but this is the first time in a long long time I can recall smiling so broadly after a preseason 1st quarter.  My thoughts:

1.  Trevor Lawrence, while certainly not perfect, had a good game in my estimation.  The first play was great to watch on several levels.  It worked and it was a great throw.  There were at least two guys open on the play.  Underneath, maybe 12 yards down field, there was a receiver open down the middle.  It made me wonder about that coaching session Taylor and company had with Trevor about taking the underneath route even if the deep pass is open.  I wonder if that was one of those scenarios, and what the coaches will say to him.  He also got pretty good protection on the play.  A play or two later, he overthrrew Zay Jones who was wide open over the middle.  But I can take a little solace in that Trevor Lawrence spotted him.  I think he missed Engram on a corner route down in the end zone.  To me, it seemed like if he could have waited a split second more, he would have seen Engram open in the back left corner of the end zone.  But in fairness to TL, I didn't see the pressure, if any, nor do I know how he was coached on that play.  The play I hated was him getting hit and thrown to the ground and easily could have fumbled  The throw to Zay Jones in that same corner seemed forced.  Otherwise I liked his play.  He had some strong play fakes that had me fooled.  His YD pass to Engram was really nice to see, and he seems to have a connection with Jones.  I look forward to his continued development.

2.  While I'm on the subject of the offense, I was encouraged by the fact there were so many WRs open.  The slant-corner route combo where he didn't see Engram opening up, and a play later on where Engram went on a deep seam route taking away underneath coverage for a WR to come in under makes the offensive approach is in good hands.  I also liked the isolation of Etienne on a LB on a 3rd down.  The offense seems well conceived, not desperation grab bag like it has been the past couple of years.

3.  As distasteful as I found last week's performance by the defense, this week, the starting defense exceeded my expectations.  Granted, there were some factors that went into that.  I think we had the advantage of already playing a game, even though most of the starters did not play last week.  It seems Watson was very rusty having been out for the last year.  That said, there was a lot to like about that first quarter.  The run defense was a lot better than it was last week.  There were some pass rushes I liked-a little more on that later.  They forced a turnover, too.  To accomplish this against a strong oL and running game-even without game planning-was encouraging.

4.  I have been very skeptical about Zay Jones when we signed him.  But I have to give credit where due.  He gave me a lot more confidence, especially seeing how much TL seems to trust him.

5.  Another concern of mine coming into this game were penalties.  Over the past few years we seemed to have a knack for those momentum and morale killing penalties.  When the starters were in the game, it was largely clean.  I hope it's a sign of things to come for this team.

6.  Special teams-Another area of concern of mine coming into this game was the special teams performance.  I was mostly happy with what I saw.  Kick coverage was outstanding, especially on that opening kickoff.  There were no protection flaws that allowed any punts or FGs to be blocked.  The kickers made their kicks and gave me a little more confidence.  The one "complaint" was that Cooke did not have a "great" game like he usually does, just a pretty good one.

7.  Rookie Watch:

A.  Travon Walker-while he did not register any sacks in this game, there is an argument to be made he was actually more impressive this week than last.  His poweer was on display has he drew two (2) holding penalties.  The first was to be expected, as a WR in the slot was isolated on him.  However, the second one made me smile...a LOT.  He wnt up against an experienced LT last week, but he was far from elite.  This week, he went up against Jedrick Wills, a much higher level LT.  He attacked his inside shoulder, prompting him to give him a big bear hug.  By most accounts, Walker is still quite raw as a pass rusher.  But if you consider his still unrefined, the traits he offer are promising.

B.  Travis Etienne-While Etienne was drafted last year, he didn't play outside of a small amount of the preseason, so if memory serves correctly he is technically still a rookie.  Besides, he was fresh in my head and I needed an excuse to talk about him.  I am largely pleased with what i saw.  He had a couple of nice runs, though like Pederson, I wondered why he was doing so much dancing.  But I know he wasn't a big between the tackles guy, and wasn't exactly counting heavily on him to get a lot of tough short yardage plays.  However, him being isolated on that LB for that 3rd down catch to the left side made me feel good, especially when he got up from those tackles.  As I suspected when we drafted him, he willbe a valuably addition to the offense, especially since we have coaches who seem to know hoe to utilize him.

C.  Devon Lloyd-Did not play.

D.  Luke Fortner-Did not stick out in a positive or negative way.

E.  Chad Muma-impressed on getting out to the sideline to make a solid tackle.  But still have not seen too many euns right at him.  Maybe watching a replay of the game will be more enlightening.

F.  Snoop Connor-Did not impress.  He has size enough to run inside, but has no wiggle.  Based on what little I've seen, Ryquell Armstead is a more effective runner than Conner.  Conner has an advantage in that he has been utilized on kick returns. But with one caveat, I've been more impressed with Armstead and Sargeant.  That caveat:  Pass blocking.  There was  play in the second half where Luton dropped back to pass and tried to hit TE Dan Arnold down the left seasm.  I'm unsure who the RB was on that play, but he threw a GREAT block that put the blitzer off his feet.

G.  Gregory Junior-Did not notice him much

H.  Buster Brown-had a good stop on a 4th and short.

8.   In years past, Tyler Shatley earned a lot of respect from Jaguars fans because when he'd get playing time, the level of play did not seem to frop appreciably when he was pressed into duty.  I'm not sure if the new coaching is having an adverse impact on him, but tonight he seemed like a clear libility inside.  Hopefully, he can lift his level of play before the start of the regular season.

9.  Though I hope he is okay, I sibcereky hope Richardson can somehow make a huge jump in his pass protection.  He was lauded in the past for his versatility, but based on what I have seen in various camp clip-s and two preseason games, he is not a suitable backup at LT.

10.  Bottom line:  the starters played very well, irrespective of the contributing factors why.  But this year's team will need a minimal amount of injures to thrive this year.  The fall off from the first team to the second teamers is too much to be tolerable.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 08-13-2022, 03:09 AM by Jag88. Edited 2 times in total.)

I agree with almost everything you wrote. If I have to be a little negative, I'm a little annoyed with our back ups. It's time to just let the back ups play the rest of the preseason and save the real jags for week 1 vs the redskins. I kind of wanted to see the jags win this game even though its preseason because they had a nice lead and ofcourse here comes luton in to help the other team. I dont mean to be overly down on this guy, but hes horrible. I'm watching other teams tonight and I see their back up qbs doing some decent things. Come on. This guy needs to get cut asap, and I realize hes the 3rd string, but hes putting other players jobs on the line too when he plays like that. I cant wait to see the starters all out in week 1, but it would be nice to find some reliable depth before the season starts. Qb 2 cj didnt look too good either. What a dumb interception before half forcing into that coverage.

I miss the days of Quinn Gray and ole tractor man , those guys look wayyyy better than what we’ve seen out of our backups for years

I saw the same things. The starters looked good, really good at times. The 1st offensive play of the game was a warning shot to the rest of the league, as were the two bootlegs one a 10 yard run the other a touchdown pass. This is not the same old run right, run left, pass for 2 yards when you need 6, then punt offense we have come to expect.

The defense was fast and physical. On the fumble it was nice to see Walker in on the tackle after coming all the way over from the backside.

Lots of positives seen last night and it is so nice to type that after years and years of having to say “well it’s the preseason so…”
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

I was really impressed with our offensive starters. In my opinion, I think mistakes were made because they're not used to making plays. I loved the play-calling, getting Trevor on the move keeps things fresh and will build his confidence. I'm thinking Robinson/Etienne will be a great 1-2 punch. J-Rob is a little more of a bruiser, and Etienne is more of a scat back. I think it's gonna be a fun season. As long as we're competitive, I'm happy.

We have to remember how many new players we have, plus an all new coaching staff which is installing all new offensive and defensive systems. For their first game, it was not bad at all.

(This post was last modified: 08-13-2022, 12:36 PM by Jag149. Edited 1 time in total.)

(08-13-2022, 02:25 AM)Bullseye Wrote: It's just preseason, and it's not as if I have a good memory of past preseason games, but this is the first time in a long long time I can recall smiling so broadly after a preseason 1st quarter.  My thoughts:

1.  Trevor Lawrence, Agree here. It is obvious he has been working during the off season. I am hoping a few of the over throws/reads are due to the shift of practice reps to game speed reps. There is a difference. If that is true we should see them redicing as the season progresses. Besides last year it made no difference, he HAD to wait to see the receiver open before throwing as they just not be where designed.

3.  I gave the defense a B-.  After all it was their first game together and it showed.

4.  Zay Jones, a good pickup for the offense they will be running. I believe a few of our receivers will shine this year, who know someone could develop into this number one guy everyone seems to crave. They are currently all number 2 or 3 guys.  This alone could confuse the opposing defense at times as it will keep them wondering.

5. penalties. Agreed, but have my finger crossed on this one.

7.  Rookie Watch:

A.  Travon Walker - This guy will prove they knew more than our board before it is all over.

B.  Travis Etienne - He will when on the field make opposing defenses nervous as hell.  Ignore him and he will burn them.

C.  Devon Lloyd - interested to see him in action.

D.  Luke Fortner - My opinion is in a state of flux right now. We will see, but so far average is where I am at the moment.

E.  Chad Muma - Doing well. is real fast and that can cover up a few things.

F.  Snoop Connor - not sold on this guy .. yet

G.  Gregory Junior - no opinion

H.  Buster Brown - who? he must have played during my self medication period.

8.   Tyler Shatley is there to help settle down our new center. as the season progresses I bet we see him more in the utility/back up role he has been so good at.

Each game I hope to begin to see players develop and improve on mistakes they made.  We have a ways to go before the live bullets begin. We need it all.

A new broom always sweeps clean.

Trevor looked better than last year, but still has some accuracy gaffs.
ETN looked good, people on here hating because he didn't break a long run should note that breaking long runs don't happen every game, and he played one quarter.
Zay Jones looked much better than I expected.
Starting D looks really good, love to see it.
Chad Muma looked much better this week than the previous.
Kicker looked good.
Our depth is absolute [BLEEP].

Also to add, both Devin Lloyd and Christian Kirk being out means we are yet to even see our peak, which is nice.

• A few quick notes as I rewatch the 1st quarter:

• Good hustle from RRH
  • Front five starters on Jags 3-4 D are effectively collapsing the pocket vs this browns OL (notably Fatukasi, RRH, Allen and Walker)
  • On the nice sideline pass to Zay, TL also had Marvin Jones wide open near the sticks but wisely saw the one-on-one shaping up deeper (DB had back to the QB at release) Lawrence may not see everything out there just yet, but he's making good good reads as well 
  • The overthrows to open guys will be something to watch. He did it last year a few too many times and will need to reel it in. We saw the bills' Josh Allen go through this same process. I think Lawrence will tame that mistake as the year rolls on. 
  • Pederson is smart about exploiting zone coverage by running routes to the soft spots and he's got his players tuned into executing it already. This is a welcome change from Jags offenses of the past several years. 
  • Red zone execution failed on first drive (TL chose wrong receiver and then ETN drops one on next down
  • Oluokun is in the right place so much more often than our backups  - it really stands out
  • I've been worried about Shatley as the starting LG and it appears the concern is justified - not a good showing
  • The throw to the corner of the EZ after the turnover was PI all day long - no flag - Greedy Williams was guilty
  • Jags prep and execution >>>>>> browns prep and execution (caveat - Jags OL had a few miscues in protection assignment and were not creating many lanes for ETN)
  • browns did not show any cards - very vanilla play calling
  • Zay Jones is getting open from the X position when placed there - keep an eye on this as so many have been fearful of the lack of X receiver - he may be a good placeholder until that player is signed or drafted 
  • In fact - all of them were getting open and we don't even have Kirk out there yet - stark contrast to last year
  • The TD play to Engram was a nifty design - nice to see some effective creativity early on from this new regime

I am happy enough with Trevors progression thusfar. But there were still some throws that make me worry still.

(This post was last modified: 08-13-2022, 01:34 PM by Cleatwood.)

(08-13-2022, 01:25 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: I am happy enough with Trevors progression thusfar. But there were still some throws that make me worry still.
Dude. Just so you know, Trevor is going to have bad throws, bad reads and bad interception this season. Maybe more than one!

So if that’s what you want to harp on all season, maybe write out a post and then just not post it? It’ll help you feel good about bashing him and then we don’t have to see it. Win win.

(08-13-2022, 01:20 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
  • A few quick notes as I rewatch the 1st quarter:

• Good hustle from RRH
  • Front five starters on Jags 3-4 D are effectively collapsing the pocket vs this browns OL (notably Fatukasi, RRH, Allen and Walker)
  • On the nice sideline pass to Zay, TL also had Marvin Jones wide open near the sticks but wisely saw the one-on-one shaping up deeper (DB had back to the QB at release) Lawrence may not see everything out there just yet, but he's making good good reads as well 
  • The overthrows to open guys will be something to watch. He did it last year a few too many times and will need to reel it in. We saw the bills' Josh Allen go through this same process. I think Lawrence will tame that mistake as the year rolls on. 
  • Pederson is smart about exploiting zone coverage by running routes to the soft spots and he's got his players tuned into executing it already. This is a welcome change from Jags offenses of the past several years. 
  • Red zone execution failed on first drive (TL chose wrong receiver and then ETN drops one on next down
  • Oluokun is in the right place so much more often than our backups  - it really stands out
  • I've been worried about Shatley as the starting LG and it appears the concern is justified - not a good showing
  • The throw to the corner of the EZ after the turnover was PI all day long - no flag - Greedy Williams was guilty
  • Jags prep and execution >>>>>> browns prep and execution (caveat - Jags OL had a few miscues in protection assignment and were not creating many lanes for ETN)
  • browns did not show any cards - very vanilla play calling
  • Zay Jones is getting open from the X position when placed there - keep an eye on this as so many have been fearful of the lack of X receiver - he may be a good placeholder until that player is signed or drafted 
  • In fact - all of them were getting open and we don't even have Kirk out there yet - stark contrast to last year
  • The TD play to Engram was a nifty design - nice to see some effective creativity early on from this new regime
To your last point, I was listening to Hasselbeck analyze Trevor this morning. He was praising Pederson running the same concept 3 different times but the pass was to 3 different players. The 3rd time resulted in the TD to Engram. Said that’s what’s Pederson is going to do for Trevor and thinks it’s perfect.

(This post was last modified: 08-13-2022, 02:04 PM by Cleatwood. Edited 1 time in total.)

Was driving home from the beach last night so checking out the game now.

1. ETN had juice that first drive so not sure what others are seeing. In first game in over a year, he had some pop. He will take a 60+ yarder to the house this year. Easy.

2. Not the only one to mention this but the missed read on 2nd and goal was rough. Engram was wide open.

3. However, Trevor makes the right read on the next play to ETN but he drops what would have been a TD at the pylon.

4. On the 2nd series, what a ball by Trevor and that was 100% PI on Zay.

5. Travon is so good. He’s so raw as a pass rusher and is already creating pressure. Wills is not a slouch and yet Walker cooked him on that holding call. The board (and myself) talked a lot of trash about Baalke but choosing Walker over Hutch (who was the National consensus top pick) could really pay off. Kudos.

Overall, getting excited for the season.

Im happy with what the 1s did, saw everything I needed to.. I'd hope they get to play the same/maybe a bit more next week and call it good, wrap up the starters in bubble wrap, especially since our depth players seems to look pretty awful.

(08-13-2022, 01:32 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [quote pid="1476669" dateline="1660411229"]
To your last point, I was listening to Hasselbeck analyze Trevor this morning. He was praising Pederson running the same concept 3 different times but the pass was to 3 different players. The 3rd time resulted in the TD to Engram. Said that’s what’s Pederson is going to do for Trevor and thinks it’s perfect.
[/quote]

Yeah - I've never seen such dichotomy between two coaches/regimes. 

Putting TL in a position to utilize his strengths 
vs 
Throwing him directly to the wolves after slathering him in duck fat

Trevor looked good.
Etienne showed the talent that made him so highly drafted
The design of the offense caters to the players strengths and just feels functional rather than the predictable vanilla schemes we've seen for years
Shatley didn't impress, I'd like to see Bartch get more run with the 1's. I thought he played well to end last year, he played pretty decently with the 2's against the Browns.

I think we have the talent to compete but not the depth or experience on the roster to go far. All the draft picks from the firesale of the past few seasons have been cashed in; now we just need to develop them. We have an extra 4th from the Bucs & a 6th from the Eagles if we need ammo to make any moves.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(This post was last modified: 08-13-2022, 02:55 PM by Bullseye.)

(08-13-2022, 03:07 AM)Jag88 Wrote: I agree with almost everything you wrote. If I have to be a little negative, I'm a little annoyed with our back ups. It's time to just let the back ups play the rest of the preseason and save the real jags for week 1 vs the redskins. I kind of wanted to see the jags win this game even though its preseason because they had a nice lead and ofcourse here comes luton in to help the other team. I dont mean to be overly down on this guy, but hes horrible. I'm watching other teams tonight and I see their back up qbs doing some decent things. Come on. This guy needs to get cut asap, and I realize hes the 3rd string, but hes putting other players jobs on the line too when he plays like that. I cant wait to see the starters all out in week 1, but it would be nice to find some reliable depth before the season starts. Qb 2 cj didnt look too good either. What a dumb interception before half forcing into that coverage.
Agreed completely.

I'm wondering how these poor performances will ompace the offseason strategu next year.

Mght we trade back to accumulate picks to try to get more depth?

(08-13-2022, 03:14 AM)MojoKing Wrote: I miss the days of Quinn Gray and ole tractor man , those guys look wayyyy better than what we’ve seen out of our backups for years

Gray would be light years better than Luton.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(08-13-2022, 02:54 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(08-13-2022, 03:07 AM)Jag88 Wrote: I agree with almost everything you wrote. If I have to be a little negative, I'm a little annoyed with our back ups. It's time to just let the back ups play the rest of the preseason and save the real jags for week 1 vs the redskins. I kind of wanted to see the jags win this game even though its preseason because they had a nice lead and ofcourse here comes luton in to help the other team. I dont mean to be overly down on this guy, but hes horrible. I'm watching other teams tonight and I see their back up qbs doing some decent things. Come on. This guy needs to get cut asap, and I realize hes the 3rd string, but hes putting other players jobs on the line too when he plays like that. I cant wait to see the starters all out in week 1, but it would be nice to find some reliable depth before the season starts. Qb 2 cj didnt look too good either. What a dumb interception before half forcing into that coverage.
Agreed completely.

I'm wondering how these poor performances will ompace the offseason strategu next year.

Mght we trade back to accumulate picks to try to get more depth?

(08-13-2022, 03:14 AM)MojoKing Wrote: I miss the days of Quinn Gray and ole tractor man , those guys look wayyyy better than what we’ve seen out of our backups for years

Gray would be light years better than Luton.

Jags have 9 picks next year. Given how young this team is, I don't think getting even more picks will help as there's only 53 you can keep. We need to develop the classes from the last 2 seasons imho.

Knowing Pederson, he's going to churn the backup QB position next offseason, judging from his time in Philly he's overly cautious about having an abundance of quality depth at QB.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(08-13-2022, 01:32 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(08-13-2022, 01:25 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: I am happy enough with Trevors progression thusfar. But there were still some throws that make me worry still.
Dude. Just so you know, Trevor is going to have bad throws, bad reads and bad interception this season. Maybe more than one!

So if that’s what you want to harp on all season, maybe write out a post and then just not post it? It’ll help you feel good about bashing him and then we don’t have to see it. Win win.
It's one thing to throw a bad interception or two, it's another for you to lead the league in interceptions whilst the majority of them being 100% your fault.

Anyone watching RT last night? Seems like I saw Little getting worked over a few times. Was hoping to see him lock down a legitimate shot at starting RT.