Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bad News (?) from Hays Carylon

I was listening to 1010XL this morning just after 10 and Carlyon was a guest on the show.

He opined that if he had to put a percentage to the RT competition, he thinks Jawaan Taylor would have a 52-48% lead on Walker Little. 

My heart sunk at the thought of that happening, even though Caryon's assessment doesn't make it official.

I can only hope for a few things.

I hope Carlyon is wring in his assessment.

I hope that if Carlyon is correct in his assessment, that somehow:

a.  The competition has somehow made Taylor a better player

b.  The new coaching staff has been able to get more out of Taylor than previous staffs.

A competent G that fits our scheme somehow becomes available relatively soon, either through camp cuts or by late trade.

A nauseating thought for me is for Trevor Lawrence to become the NFL's answer to Super Dave Osborne because we suck in pass protection.  Taylor has sucked in the past.  Bartch has been shaky, and Shatley has been disappointing in the move to LG, which is why he seemingly has been demoted back to backup C.  This seemingly is a best case scenario considering Fortner is a rookie, Robinson seems to be enjoying his strongest camp of his career, and Scherff can maintain his established level of play and remain healthy.

If any of those latter three players takie a turn for the worse, I shudder to think of the consequences.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

LG and RT are my greatest concerns on the roster

This team has not build out the oline in any of my recent or past memories. Just like TE, we do nothing and expect better results. I mean yes he drafted an ACL candidate that hasn't seen the field in any significant manner but the attention has not been there. It is one of a long list of grievances I have with the Front Office. I guess it is really a criticism of the owner as well.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Offensive line is probably our worst position group which is concerning. Especially since our new RG hasn't played a full season in multiple years.

(08-19-2022, 11:55 AM)MoJagFan Wrote: This team has not build out the oline in any of my recent or past memories. Just like TE, we do nothing and expect better results. I mean yes he drafted an ACL candidate that hasn't seen the field in any significant manner but the attention has not been there. It is one of a long list of grievances I have with the Front Office. I guess it is really a criticism of the owner as well.

Simply not true. Little, Fortner, Bartch, Taylor, Robinson and Scherff in the past few years. To say they have done nothing is so inaccurate.

Let's see how they do tomorrow and go from there

(08-19-2022, 11:51 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: LG and RT are my greatest concerns on the roster

Yeah, I was really hoping Bartch would take the position and run away with it from the start of camp.  And Little, is it me, or does the dude have kind of narrow shoulders?  Taylor hasn't missed a game due to injury, which is a rare feat, and has a great deal of experience - perhaps he's putting that experience to good use and holding off Little for a bit?  I certainly hope he doesn't get our QB killed too.

(08-19-2022, 11:55 AM)MoJagFan Wrote: This team has not build out the oline in any of my recent or past memories. Just like TE, we do nothing and expect better results. I mean yes he drafted an ACL candidate that hasn't seen the field in any significant manner but the attention has not been there. It is one of a long list of grievances I have with the Front Office. I guess it is really a criticism of the owner as well.

11 draft picks spent on oline in the last 6 years along with 4 spent on tight ends. Not mention free agents, waiver claims, and trades. To say they haven't put attention there isn't accurate, they just didn't get good players for the effort.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(08-19-2022, 12:24 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

11 draft picks spent on oline in the last 6 years along with 4 spent on tight ends. Not mention free agents, waiver claims, and trades. To say they haven't put attention there isn't accurate, they just didn't get good players for the effort.
Exactly.

(08-19-2022, 11:49 AM)Bullseye Wrote: I was listening to 1010XL this morning just after 10 and Carlyon was a guest on the show.

He opined that if he had to put a percentage to the RT competition, he thinks Jawaan Taylor would have a 52-48% lead on Walker Little. 

My heart sunk at the thought of that happening, even though Caryon's assessment doesn't make it official.

I can only hope for a few things.

I hope Carlyon is wring in his assessment.

I hope that if Carlyon is correct in his assessment, that somehow:

a.  The competition has somehow made Taylor a better player

b.  The new coaching staff has been able to get more out of Taylor than previous staffs.

A competent G that fits our scheme somehow becomes available relatively soon, either through camp cuts or by late trade.

A nauseating thought for me is for Trevor Lawrence to become the NFL's answer to Super Dave Osborne because we suck in pass protection.  Taylor has sucked in the past.  Bartch has been shaky, and Shatley has been disappointing in the move to LG, which is why he seemingly has been demoted back to backup C.  This seemingly is a best case scenario considering Fortner is a rookie, Robinson seems to be enjoying his strongest camp of his career, and Scherff can maintain his established level of play and remain healthy.

If any of those latter three players takie a turn for the worse, I shudder to think of the consequences.

+1 for the Super Dave Osborne reference.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Let Bartch start at LG. He did well there last season and has looked solid so far in camp/preseason while Shatley has seemed shaky at that spot; I like Shatley better as a C since he usually came in to replace Linder in years past when he inevitably went down.

My concern is more about how Fortner does at Center as a rookie, that's a tough position for a rookie to make the jump at.

My guess is that via performance or injury (hopefully the former not the latter) Walker Little ends up as a starter by the end of the season because he's one of the best 5 linemen on the team and finding a way to get him on the field so Trevor can have the best protection possible is the paramount objective imho.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

If Little was going to start, he would have took the spot last year.

Taylor’s biggest drawback is he’s a flag magnet. An absolute momentum killer.

(08-19-2022, 01:10 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Taylor’s biggest drawback is he’s a flag magnet. An absolute momentum killer.

More than flags it's more that he commits four or five drive killer acts every game. Whether it's just holding or absolutely [BLEEP] the bed on a blocking set and letting someone blow by him right at the QB he had way too many badly negative plays for an NFL tackle. I don't know that Little is a great right tackle, but it's hard to believe he couldn't be more consistent than Taylor has.

(08-19-2022, 01:10 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Taylor’s biggest drawback is he’s a flag magnet. An absolute momentum killer.

If he gets the starting job, unfortunately he will lose it soon after when he starts the usual drive killing penalties. This coaching staff will have a quick hook I believe.

(08-19-2022, 12:59 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: If Little was going to start, he would have took the spot last year.

If you think anything that happened last year made any sense you need to reconsider

(08-19-2022, 12:07 PM)Jagsman Wrote: Offensive line is probably our worst position group which is concerning. Especially since our new RG hasn't played a full season in multiple years.

I fully expect FA and draft focus at OL in 2023. 

I also would not be surprised if we are active on the OL waiver wire next week after cuts to perhaps improve depth.

(This post was last modified: 08-19-2022, 01:28 PM by NewJagsCity.)

Leon Searcy on 1010xl today is saying that Taylor is out playing Walker. Better mechanics and technique. Perhaps the coaches see the same things.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(08-19-2022, 01:28 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: Leon Searcy on 1010xl today is saying that Taylor is out playing Walker. Better mechanics and technique. Perhaps the coaches see the same things.

If Taylor is better, he's better. 

I just hope it means he's improved - as opposed to it meaning Little just isn't good enough to beat out the Taylor we've already seen struggle.

(08-19-2022, 12:24 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

So 11 draft picks wasted on not building an effective line. I guess they did pay that one free agent guy and trade for Arnold. So good job.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(08-19-2022, 01:42 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(08-19-2022, 01:28 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: Leon Searcy on 1010xl today is saying that Taylor is out playing Walker. Better mechanics and technique. Perhaps the coaches see the same things.

If Taylor is better, he's better. 

I just hope it means he's improved - as opposed to it meaning Little just isn't good enough to beat out the Taylor we've already seen struggle.

Agree. For the most part, I like Carlyon's analysis, but I'll take Searcy's over his in this instance every time.