Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bad News (?) from Hays Carylon

(08-20-2022, 09:41 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: From all I've seen this past few weeks Little is actually worse than Taylor... Maybe he will get better but I wouldn't be so hopeful.

So much for "If Little didn't get injured he would have been a top 10 pick, we got a steal there!"

The Jaguar fans have a history of over hyping players. I remember being told how great Ace Sanders and Denard "shoelace" Robinson were going to be for this team.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 08-20-2022, 12:50 PM by iHaunting Raven.)

(08-20-2022, 12:11 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(08-20-2022, 09:41 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: From all I've seen this past few weeks Little is actually worse than Taylor... Maybe he will get better but I wouldn't be so hopeful.

So much for "If Little didn't get injured he would have been a top 10 pick, we got a steal there!"

From what I can tell, Little has had some issues with power.  There were a couple of times it looked as if he was driven back into the QB.

The main reason I am being a bit more patient with Little on your closing point is he still doesn't have muhc playing experience.  He missed pretty much his last two years of college, didn't play much last year, and is switching positions this year.

But we can't wait for him to develop too much longer before the dreaded "bust" speculation will creep in.

On the other hand, Taylor hasn't been that bad, I think he will have his best year.

(08-20-2022, 12:24 PM)OG-JAGFAN Wrote:

The Jaguar fans have a history of over hyping players. I remember being told how great Ace Sanders and Denard "shoelace" Robinson were going to be for this team.

I know right? people get mad at me because I make fun of that
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(08-19-2022, 11:49 AM)Bullseye Wrote: I was listening to 1010XL this morning just after 10 and Carlyon was a guest on the show.

He opined that if he had to put a percentage to the RT competition, he thinks Jawaan Taylor would have a 52-48% lead on Walker Little. 

My heart sunk at the thought of that happening, even though Caryon's assessment doesn't make it official.

I can only hope for a few things.

I hope Carlyon is wring in his assessment.

I hope that if Carlyon is correct in his assessment, that somehow:

a.  The competition has somehow made Taylor a better player

b.  The new coaching staff has been able to get more out of Taylor than previous staffs.

A competent G that fits our scheme somehow becomes available relatively soon, either through camp cuts or by late trade.

A nauseating thought for me is for Trevor Lawrence to become the NFL's answer to Super Dave Osborne because we suck in pass protection.  Taylor has sucked in the past.  Bartch has been shaky, and Shatley has been disappointing in the move to LG, which is why he seemingly has been demoted back to backup C.  This seemingly is a best case scenario considering Fortner is a rookie, Robinson seems to be enjoying his strongest camp of his career, and Scherff can maintain his established level of play and remain healthy.

If any of those latter three players takie a turn for the worse, I shudder to think of the consequences.

I too listened to and saw this. Taylor is the favorite to win the position as per many opinions. Even though he was sidelined w/an injury for a few, it's his job to loose and that's a good thing. An better situation is having the two duking it out for the position. This speaks volumes w/respect to depth at the position.

I'm aware that many fans want J.T. to be replaced and potentially play within the interior of the line but as a personal opinion [they're all personal opinions) J.T. is playing just fine. There's No Bad News. The winner will be declared soon.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(08-20-2022, 12:24 PM)OG-JAGFAN Wrote:

Fans of every team, everywhere, in every league in sports do this.

Fan is an abbreviation of "fanatic"

Hype, hope, and exaggeration are built in elements of this "fanaticism"

It's a lot more fun than coming here to post "I think Kirk and Jones are going to disappoint everyone this year, I'm not renewing my season tickets." 
But, hey, we take all comers, and some folks just like their own little universe of realism. 
I'll keep on trying to find the silver linings where I can.

(08-20-2022, 01:36 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(08-20-2022, 12:24 PM)OG-JAGFAN Wrote: The Jaguar fans have a history of over hyping players. I remember being told how great Ace Sanders and Denard "shoelace" Robinson were going to be for this team.

Fans of every team, everywhere, in every league in sports do this.

It's a lot more fun than coming here to post "I think Kirk and Jones are going to disappoint everyone this year, I'm not renewing my season tickets." 
But, hey, we take all comers, and some folks just like their own little universe of realism. 
I agree with all that. The flip side of the coin is some of these fanatics do not have any sense of realistic expectations. They often lash out at the team and players when they do not meet their fanatical expectations. This year is going to be really fun as a fan. It is hard to grasp any sense on how this team will do. It would  be hard to put any real high goals for this team. I think many will keep expectations low but hope for the best.

(08-20-2022, 03:12 PM)OG-JAGFAN Wrote:
(08-20-2022, 01:36 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Fans of every team, everywhere, in every league in sports do this.

I agree with all that. The flip side of the coin is some of these fanatics do not have any sense of realistic expectations. They often lash out at the team and players when they do not meet their fanatical expectations. This year is going to be really fun as a fan. It is hard to grasp any sense on how this team will do. It would  be hard to put any real high goals for this team. I think many will keep expectations low but hope for the best.

Don't just pin this on the fans.

In many or most cases, the players taken in the 4th round you mentioned were invited to play in various all star games and the combines.  Then some went to college ori day workouts, often attended by NFL teams.  Some were given individual workouts by teams and had individual meetings pre draft.  Finally the teams end up drafting them.

On some level, those who actually work in the industry-for better or worse-also believe in those players' ability to play on the NFL level to the point they are willing to spend draft capital and roster spaces on them.

Sadly, being a devoted fan of an NFL team does not exempt you from misses in player evaluation.  Nor does it exempt the team to which you are loual from making the same miscalculations.  My life as a Jaguars fan embodies this.

That said, I'm no stepford fan.  I don't hesitate to disagree with my team if I don't think they are acting prudently.  This is exemplified by my real time protest against the CJ Henderson and K'Lavon Chaisson picks, as well as the decisions to let several high profile players walk.  My takes are readily available for review.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 08-20-2022, 11:03 PM by NH3. Edited 1 time in total.)

As I watched this past game from within the stadium, I paid special attention to the rotating battle of the RT position. Taylor held his own and plus some throughout the game. Little gave up a sack and somewhat allowed the QB to be pressured.

If I had to project who's going to be the starting RT, I'd have to say that it's Taylor made.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

It is hard to say if Walker Little needs more time or he just is a career backup. He looked bad today. It would be hard to justify giving Walker the starting nod.

(08-21-2022, 12:32 AM)OG-JAGFAN Wrote: It is hard to say if Walker Little needs more time or he just is a career backup. He looked bad today. It would be hard to justify giving Walker the starting nod.

Maybe he just can't make the switch to the right. He looked okay on the left last year.

He looks like he doesn't like the right side.

Some players...it just makes a difference. Remember, we made these great projections of him due to spot duty on the right and figured it would translate to the right. For us fans it's very little difference, but apparently it matters to some players?

Definitely feels like Taylor won the starting job last night. Someone tell me if I'm wrong but it looked like Taylor got the first series, Little the second, but then Taylor finished out the rest of the first half.

(08-21-2022, 07:06 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(08-21-2022, 12:32 AM)OG-JAGFAN Wrote: It is hard to say if Walker Little needs more time or he just is a career backup. He looked bad today. It would be hard to justify giving Walker the starting nod.

Maybe he just can't make the switch to the right. He looked okay on the left last year.

I don't understand why the coaches can't just stick players at their obvious, natural positions. Little has more of a left tackle build and that's what he played in college. Likewise, Shatley is more of a center. Cisco is more of a free safety than strong safety. Before that, Myles Jack is more of a weakside linebacker than MIKE. The Jaguars miscast players for seasons at a time and run into trouble.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(08-24-2022, 09:15 AM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:
(08-21-2022, 07:06 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: Maybe he just can't make the switch to the right. He looked okay on the left last year.

I don't understand why the coaches can't just stick players at their obvious, natural positions. Little has more of a left tackle build and that's what he played in college. Likewise, Shatley is more of a center. Cisco is more of a free safety than strong safety. Before that, Myles Jack is more of a weakside linebacker than MIKE. The Jaguars miscast players for seasons at a time and run into trouble.

Right? They miscast Chaisson and ETN as 1st round picks.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(08-24-2022, 10:09 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(08-24-2022, 09:15 AM)TheDogCatcher Wrote: I don't understand why the coaches can't just stick players at their obvious, natural positions. Little has more of a left tackle build and that's what he played in college. Likewise, Shatley is more of a center. Cisco is more of a free safety than strong safety. Before that, Myles Jack is more of a weakside linebacker than MIKE. The Jaguars miscast players for seasons at a time and run into trouble.

Right? They miscast Chaisson and ETN as 1st round picks.

We don't know on Etienne yet.  Chaisson yes

(08-24-2022, 10:37 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(08-24-2022, 10:09 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Right? They miscast Chaisson and ETN as 1st round picks.

We don't know on Etienne yet.  Chaisson yes

You might not know...
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(08-24-2022, 10:44 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(08-24-2022, 10:37 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: We don't know on Etienne yet.  Chaisson yes

You might not know...

Don’t you be putting that evil on us!

(08-24-2022, 11:19 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(08-24-2022, 10:44 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: You might not know...

Don’t you be putting that evil on us!

In fairness, as poorly as this team has drafted when they've picked at the end of round 1 he's probably going to be one of the best they've ever taken in that circumstance. If we look at picks taken after #20 that would be Wynn, Darius, Bryant, Soward, Matt Jones, Marcedes, The Eraser, Taven, Chaisson, and Devin Lloyd this year. It's likely he ends up better than all of them but Darius and Lewis with Lloyd still an unknown, so who cares if they wasted a pick on him, that's what they usually do anyway.

(08-24-2022, 03:57 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(08-24-2022, 11:19 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Don’t you be putting that evil on us!

In fairness, as poorly as this team has drafted when they've picked at the end of round 1 he's probably going to be one of the best they've ever taken in that circumstance. If we look at picks taken after #20 that would be Wynn, Darius, Bryant, Soward, Matt Jones, Marcedes, The Eraser, Taven, Chaisson, and Devin Lloyd this year. It's likely he ends up better than all of them but Darius and Lewis with Lloyd still an unknown, so who cares if they wasted a pick on him, that's what they usually do anyway.

Who did you want at 25?

Elijah Moore
Barmore
Freiermuth

In that order.