Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Elway strikes again!

5 years, 245M deal for Wilson.

From the day they traded for him they've been my pick of team to faceplant hardest this season. Elway is cursed (as a Clevelander, this is fine) when it comes to QBs and I can't help but think this is the latest move that dooms Wilson to failure.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(09-01-2022, 09:04 AM)Mikey Wrote: 5 years, 245M deal for Wilson.

From the day they traded for him they've been my pick of team to faceplant hardest this season. Elway is cursed (as a Clevelander, this is fine) when it comes to QBs and I can't help but think this is the latest move that dooms Wilson to failure.

This should be interesting.

(This post was last modified: 09-01-2022, 11:21 AM by NewJagsCity.)

My first reaction to this is that he's the best QB the Broncos have had since Elway. He's 33, and is on record as saying he wants to play 15 more years. While that seems unlikely, what seems more likely is Denver being unable to support him with talent, since they traded away most of their next 2 years worth of decent picks to get him. I picked the Broncos to finish 3rd in the AFC West, over the las place Chiefs, mostly because Denver has a good core in place now and Wilson and Hackett seem like a good fit. I think they have a reasonable 2 year window to be good and then they fall off..
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

The biggest problem, is the division he plays in

(09-01-2022, 11:21 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: My first reaction to this is that he's the best QB the Broncos have had since Elway.  He's 33, and is on record as saying he wants to play 15 more years.  While that seems unlikely, what seems more likely is Denver being unable to support him with talent, since they traded away most of their next 2 years worth of decent picks to get him.  I picked the Broncos to finish 3rd in the AFC West, over the las place Chiefs, mostly because Denver has a good core in place now and Wilson and Hackett seem like a good fit.  I think they have a reasonable 2 year window to be good and then they fall off..

Did you forget Peyton Manning?
I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

(09-01-2022, 11:21 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: My first reaction to this is that he's the best QB the Broncos have had since Elway.  He's 33, and is on record as saying he wants to play 15 more years.  While that seems unlikely, what seems more likely is Denver being unable to support him with talent, since they traded away most of their next 2 years worth of decent picks to get him.  I picked the Broncos to finish 3rd in the AFC West, over the las place Chiefs, mostly because Denver has a good core in place now and Wilson and Hackett seem like a good fit.  I think they have a reasonable 2 year window to be good and then they fall off..

Last place Chiefs?  Less than zero chance.

(This post was last modified: 09-01-2022, 08:58 PM by NewJagsCity.)

(09-01-2022, 05:35 PM)The Eleventh Doctor Wrote:

Did you forget Peyton Manning?

No, I remembered his last year there.

(09-01-2022, 07:21 PM)Khan Artist Wrote:

Last place Chiefs?  Less than zero chance.

It will be close between them and the Broncos. Nothing against KC, but they are in the toughest division in football, have lost talent, and 4 teams aren't making the playoffs from that Division.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Raiders are gonna finish in the cellar in the west.

So you remember Paytons last year there, but not his 55 TD record breaking season, most yards/tds of any QB ever? Also a few other insanely succesful seasons.. he only had 1 bad season, due to aging. Russel Wilson is not, and never will be on PM's level.

(This post was last modified: 09-02-2022, 10:10 AM by NewJagsCity. Edited 1 time in total.)

(09-02-2022, 12:08 AM)Big Dougy P Wrote:

So you remember Paytons last year there, but not his 55 TD record breaking season, most yards/tds of any QB ever? Also a few other insanely successful seasons.. he only had 1 bad season, due to aging. Russel Wilson is not, and never will be on PM's level.

After further review, this was a hasty post. Manning was indeed statistically the 2nd best QB in Broncos history. I was suffering from recency bias, remembering only the 2013 whacking the Wilson-led Seahawks laid on him (even after the record setting season!), and the 2015 season where he threw a Tebow-like 9 TD's against 17 int's, and the SB of that same year that the Broncos won in spite of his play. Much like the Rams won their SB in spite of Ramsey, not because of him. My bad.

(09-01-2022, 08:56 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(09-01-2022, 05:35 PM)The Eleventh Doctor Wrote: Did you forget Peyton Manning?

No, I remembered his last year there.

(09-01-2022, 07:21 PM)Khan Artist Wrote: Last place Chiefs?  Less than zero chance.

It will be close between them and the Broncos.  Nothing against KC, but they are in the toughest division in football, have lost talent, and 4 teams aren't making the playoffs from that Division.

The Chiefs lost 1 WR of note, who had 10 subpar games last season.  They're still gonna win the division.

Russel Wilson is one of the best decisions the franchise has ever made, and instantly makes them a SB contender, even in a loaded AFC.

(09-03-2022, 01:27 AM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: Russel Wilson is one of the best decisions the franchise has ever made, and instantly makes them a SB contender, even in a loaded AFC.

I think he's going to play 2nd fiddle or 3rd string in that division. I don't see him keeping pace with Patrick Mahomes nor Justin Herbert. David Carr might even be better off than him in Las Vegas. 

I don't understand the allure with Denver. They haven't had a winning season in five years. This is now their third head coach in six years. Not a believer in Hackett as well. 

I think this will potentially go down as a pretty bad deal for Denver and it could spell the ending of Elway in Denver. They're now owned by the Walton's. There's no loyalty owed anymore to Elway there. 

Denver will maybe win 8 games this year. Book it.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."