Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What the Packers think of the Jags

(This post was last modified: 09-08-2016, 12:53 AM by C-Dub93.)

Quote:The entire defense has flaws. The coaching staff has flaws, our QB has serious flaws, our entire team has flaws. Of course he needs to improve his game, but I'm not going to sit here and act like he's a below average player like most on this board.
Not sure anyone agrees with the sentiment that he's a below average player, and if they do I don't agree with them.

But I don't think he's a top end player in this league or elite in any way until he fixes those mistakes. Those lapses in judgement and not being in position is the difference from a good and great defense. This team had troubles covering last year, especially at LB. People want to put all the blame on Poz but Telvin wasn't exactly locking guys down either and was a problem for us as well.

Also, I'm not saying other guys on our team don't have flaws. I'm saying if you want to put a guy in the elite category or list him as a top end player in the league, than he shouldn't be making the constant mistakes Telvin does. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 09-08-2016, 12:56 AM by KYjaggy.)

Quote:Name 10 other WLB's that are better than Telvin Smith. Good luck.
Lavonte David, KJ Wright, Sean Lee, Jamie Collins, Thomas Davis, Mychal Kendricks, Marc Barron, Koa Misi, Deandre Levy, Chad Greenway 

Several other ILB 3-4 guys like Woodyard or Trevathan that would top him at will in our scheme too. 

(This post was last modified: 09-08-2016, 12:58 AM by C-Dub93.)

Quote:Lavonte David, KJ Wright, Sean Lee, Jamie Collins, Thomas Davis, Mychal Kendricks, Marc Barron, Koa Misi, Deandre Levy, Chad Greenway
Think ya may be reaching a little with Greenway lol. But agree with the rest. (Thinking about it, Barron is close. His first year was last year and he did some good things but not sure if I put him there. Lee as a talent is far superior but his injury history is ridiculous. He's a walking injury. Kendricks I've always liked but the Eagles seem like they have been trying to move him for some time...so not sure if there is something there that I just haven't heard. Not like I watch the Eagles every Sunday.)

Living in Iowa and living in MPLS last year everyone loves Greenway, but he's lost a step and isn't what he once was. 

Quote: 

Living in Iowa and living in MPLS last year everyone loves Greenway, but he's lost a step and isn't what he once was. 

This probably will be Chad Greenway's final season of a very good NFL career.   He's a prime example of a player overcoming a torn ACL and going on to being one of the best players at his position for a long time.

One thing in particular I noticed last season is Greenway was usually not used in the Vikings Nickel packages,  after being one of the best cover LBs for many, many years.  

If one combines the instincts and overall knowledge of the present Chad Greenway with the physical tools of Telvin Smith,  there's no question the end result would be a Pro Bowl LB. 

Quote:Lavonte David, KJ Wright, Sean Lee, Jamie Collins, Thomas Davis, Mychal Kendricks, Marc Barron, Koa Misi, Deandre Levy, Chad Greenway 

Several other ILB 3-4 guys like Woodyard or Trevathan that would top him at will in our scheme too. 
Good try, but Greenway, Misi, and Barron aren't better than Telvin Smith. If you want to compare the last two seasons, Telvin tops half of your list. There are some 3-4 LB's that would be better, but they're not currently playing the position.

Quote:Good try, but Greenway, Misi, and Barron aren't better than Telvin Smith. If you want to compare the last two seasons, Telvin tops half of your list. There are some 3-4 LB's that would be better, but they're not currently playing the position.
Barron was very good once they officially moved him to WLB last year. He struggled at safety before that. 

I think you're too enamored with the splash plays that Telvin makes, because Misi doesn't make them like Telvin can...but 90%+ of the time he is the better player. 

Quote:Good try, but Greenway, Misi, and Barron aren't better than Telvin Smith. If you want to compare the last two seasons, Telvin tops half of your list. There are some 3-4 LB's that would be better, but they're not currently playing the position.
Barron was very good last year. Misi has been very good and underrated in Miami. I don't think you can definitely take Telvin over either without a somewhat biased view.

Also, although he is a fairly dirty player, Burfict is a damn good WLB. Think I'd take him over Telvin at this current point in their careers. 

Quote:Barron was very good once they officially moved him to WLB last year. He struggled at safety before that. 

I think you're too enamored with the splash plays that Telvin makes, because Misi doesn't make them like Telvin can...but 90%+ of the time he is the better player. 
Talk about a player that has trouble in coverage. Have you watched Misi? That's his biggest issue. He's a good player as well, but I find it funny that you're going to say he's better than Telvin when he's clearly not. Telvin is better against the run, getting tackles, and making splash plays. 

(This post was last modified: 09-08-2016, 01:27 AM by KYjaggy.)

Quote:Talk about a player that has trouble in coverage. Have you watched Misi? That's his biggest issue. He's a good player as well, but I find it funny that you're going to say he's better than Telvin when he's clearly not. Telvin is better against the run, getting tackles, and making splash plays. 
I'm sure you'll just shrug it off cause it's PFF or something, but they did have Misi as their #5 OLB overall last year...and two ahead of him were Barr and Hightower which don't fit in with this type.  

(This post was last modified: 09-08-2016, 02:00 AM by Sosa.)

Here, I'll give you an unbiased list

1. LaVonte David

2. Jamie Collins

3. KJ Wright

4. Anthony Barr

5. Thomas Davis

6. DeAndre Levy

7. Donta Hightower

8. Vontaze Burfict

9. Telvin Smith

10. Koa Misi

11. Sean Lee

12. Mark Barron

13. Alec Ogletree (ILB now, but was great outside)

And then it drops off from there. That's my personal opinion, you can switch it up however you want, but the fact is Telvin belongs in that top ten.

(This post was last modified: 09-08-2016, 01:43 AM by Sosa.)

Quote:I'm sure you'll just shrug it off cause it's PFF or something, but they did have Misi as their #5 OLB overall last year...and two ahead of him were Barr and Hightower which don't fit in with this type.  
Might as well just rate 4-3 OLB's as a whole. Never mind what I said about WLB's only.

I don't agree with PFF all the time, but I won't shrug it off. Misi deserves to be mentioned since he's a good player, but my personal opinion (biased between those two) is that Telvin is better. It's not like i'm crazy though, he does have the stats and highlights to back it up. Not saying he's a perfect player or a HOF 99 Overall Madden player, but I think Telvin has more positives than not.

Quote:They are particularly hard on Myles Jack

"In 122 snaps, however, Jack hasn’t made a single play that really stood out."

“I don’t think he has near the speed and the explosion that he once had,” an AFC personnel director said after studying the Jaguars’ first three games. “He’s looked OK. He’s just coming back, and maybe it will pop at some point. He’s still athletic. He doesn’t have that great explosion and speed he once had.”

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/.../89916910/

You don't just lose explosion and speed. Once he stops thinking and starts reacting, his natural speed will surly show up.

'02

Quote:Unless I am completely missing something where has Jack looked slow? He has been sideline to sideline, very physical, fast, and his instincts have been ridiculous.

He has had some troubles with learning how to set everyone up on D and learning everything on D, but as far as his actual play I'm not seeing it. Maybe he isn't quite as fast as he was at UCLA thus far, I don't know, but he looks fast to me.

I agree that he looked plenty fast enough. If that's him without his speed and explosion, then oh boy...I'm imagining X-man speed when it's back.

'02

Quote:We're still comfortably the 2nd highest choice in eliminator pools too, behind only the Dolphins @ Seahawks.

Well the Jaguars are a 5 1/2 point home underdog in this game.

'02

Quote: 

Well the Jaguars are a 5 1/2 point home underdog in this game.

Without looking at any of the other home teams odds, I would guess that the Jags are the biggest home underdogs this weekend.

Actually 5 1/2 point home underdog might be the biggest home underdog spread of the entire 2016 season, unless a starting home QB gets injured and a backup has to play.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Quote:Without looking at any of the other home teams odds, I would guess that the Jags are the biggest home underdogs this weekend.

Actually 5 1/2 point home underdog might be the biggest home underdog spread of the entire 2016 season, unless a starting home QB gets injured and a backup has to play.

So the first home team that will be at least a 6-point underdog is the Cowboys.

Quote:So the first home team that will be at least a 6-point underdog is the Cowboys.

Against which team? I'll have to look it up.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Quote:Against which team? I'll have to look it up.

Obviously their first home opponent.

Quote:They are particularly hard on Myles Jack

"In 122 snaps, however, Jack hasn’t made a single play that really stood out."

“I don’t think he has near the speed and the explosion that he once had,” an AFC personnel director said after studying the Jaguars’ first three games. “He’s looked OK. He’s just coming back, and maybe it will pop at some point. He’s still athletic. He doesn’t have that great explosion and speed he once had.”

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/.../89916910/

Fightin' words!!!

[Image: tumblr_nszprc1b2M1qhebqho1_400.gif]

Telvin needs to get better in pass coverage.. he seems lost out there sometimes.

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana