Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Screen Pass

watching this game and watching it again and more highlights. i can't think of a time when we actually used the Screens like we were supposed to be used.  not bubble screens cause those never work unless your playing us LOL.

but that screen to Arnold and a few others i can't remember who caught them but they all went for 5+ yards.  we have a real coach now calling real football plays, it is refreshing.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Good point.

Execution on screens and other common concepts is back to a pro level with this staff.

The situational usage is on point as well.

I want to see more screens with ETN to get him in open field and see him make some moves

The key to screens is a line with guys who can get upfield. Last year's interior linemen couldn't move well enough to run them effectively but this year's inside three are much more agile as a group. I did notice on the one screen to the right that the receiver (Arnold?) was already ahead of the right tackle and it hindered the play. Even Barber on telecast mentioned Taylor being behind on the play and it just looks like the guy is wearing concrete cleats.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

The screens worked well because of Gus Bradley's defensive scheme. It won't work for every team, but it shows the Coaches knowing how to game plan for the teams they are playing.
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

They should have called some screens last week to slow down the pass rush.

(09-19-2022, 03:24 PM)Predator Wrote: They should have called some screens last week to slow down the pass rush.

I don't think screens can be effective when the front four is getting so much pressure because the 5th rusher the play tries to exploit is able to key on the backs instead of the QB. You basically screen the back right into a linebacker.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(09-19-2022, 03:12 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: The key to screens is a line with guys who can get upfield. Last year's interior linemen couldn't move well enough to run them effectively but this year's inside three are much more agile as a group. I did notice on the one screen to the right that the receiver (Arnold?) was already ahead of the right tackle and it hindered the play. Even Barber on telecast mentioned Taylor being behind on the play and it just looks like the guy is wearing concrete cleats.

yeah i noticed that, if Taylor got there he get another 10-15. i thought lineman weren't allowed to block down field on a passing play.

(09-19-2022, 03:30 PM)icey14 Wrote:
(09-19-2022, 03:12 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: The key to screens is a line with guys who can get upfield. Last year's interior linemen couldn't move well enough to run them effectively but this year's inside three are much more agile as a group. I did notice on the one screen to the right that the receiver (Arnold?) was already ahead of the right tackle and it hindered the play. Even Barber on telecast mentioned Taylor being behind on the play and it just looks like the guy is wearing concrete cleats.

yeah i noticed that, if Taylor got there he get another 10-15. i thought lineman weren't allowed to block down field on a passing play.

They can leave the line with the ball.

(09-19-2022, 03:24 PM)Predator Wrote: They should have called some screens last week to slow down the pass rush.
Agreed. The passing plays were also three steps and out by design as well. Pederson made adjustments to fix the offensive line struggles. He'll continue to adjust as needed. Will be an every other week type of deal. Lose, win, lose, lose, win, win, etc.

We haven't seen a split backfield with Etienne and Robinson yet featured. That little move route with Kirk on his first TD catch was nice as well.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(09-19-2022, 03:33 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
Agreed. The passing plays were also three steps and out by design as well. Pederson made adjustments to fix the offensive line struggles. He'll continue to adjust as needed. Will be an every other week type of deal. Lose, win, lose, lose, win, win, etc.

We haven't seen a split backfield with Etienne and Robinson yet featured. That little move route with Kirk on his first TD catch was nice as well.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I thought the design to pull Kirk back to the QB on the TD pass was really good. The play to get Agnew open deep was also well schemed even though he didn't come down with the ball. And boy did TLaw put those two passes right on the money. It's nice to finally see a team on the field that looks like they are actually pro-caliber with their design and execution.

(09-19-2022, 03:18 PM)Ronster Wrote: The screens worked well because of Gus Bradley's defensive scheme. It won't work for every team, but it shows the Coaches knowing how to game plan for the teams they are playing.

That, and the clots missing a fantastic LB for the day

I agree. Also the okay where Lawrence could have ran it in for the TD but passed it to Kirk. That was a good solid, low risk play at the right time.

Dougy Pete plays situational ball. That Kirk guy is always open it seems.

all our wrs seem to be running open or a 1 step on the defender. which shows we actually have a playcaller. we had decent plays with Marrrone, but urban was horirble. nobody was open but the checkdowns.

(This post was last modified: 09-21-2022, 11:41 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

and more misdirection rollout plays which they used in preseason and week 2 but did not use in week 1 for some reason.

This hasn't just been a problem with the coaching last year. The jags have had huge coaching problems on offense for a decade.

(09-21-2022, 07:08 PM)Jag88 Wrote: This hasn't just been a problem with the coaching last year. The jags have had huge coaching problems on offense for a decade.

Dude, Urban sucked. Deal.

(This post was last modified: 09-21-2022, 11:12 PM by Jag88. Edited 1 time in total.)

(09-21-2022, 09:52 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(09-21-2022, 07:08 PM)Jag88 Wrote: This hasn't just been a problem with the coaching last year. The jags have had huge coaching problems on offense for a decade.

Dude, Urban sucked. Deal.

I didn't say anything about coach urban. He wasnt the one running the offense last season anyways. It was bevil! Good ole coach bevil.

I was pointing out that screens didnt work any better under gus Bradley or marrone

When I thought for sure Trevor would be getting sacked we had ETN or someone on a screen and it was WIDE open. Just good play calling.