Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Week 4: Jags vs Eagles

I think Pederson introduces new formations in this game which keeps their defense on their toes.

There's three things I want to point out in particular.

1. Lawrence has been slowly but surely working that RPO into his game these past three weeks. A lot of opportunities are there for him to keep it and run with it. He's handed it off probably 90% of the time. I think it's going to be 50/50 this time.

2. Lack of targets to the TE group. They have been extremely quiet in the gameplan. I see Arnold and Engram getting a combined 12 targets in this game. This is after seeing just 16 targets in 3 games so far.

3. Agnew, Etienne and Robinson seeing the field at the same time around midfield. This is that "call your pocket" aspect to Pederson's play calling I referenced earlier this year.

At midfield you can really get a defense on it's toes where you go "Okay. I have my consistent RB, my speed RB with WR skills and then probably their fastest player on the team all out here, [BLEEP] do I do?"

There's three ways you can attack a defense on one play within that unique range of hitting a homerun or getting inside the redzone.

This is the game I think where you see another layer to the offense being added. Starts with Lawrence's legs in the RPO game which then opens up the TE options.

That's how you get those big fellas gassed from the interior DL and LB's overthinking the run game and getting gouged down the seam for 15 by the TE.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I think if the Eagles coaches are watching what we do well on offense they'll realize its a lot of quick read, short and intermediate passes. They may try to disrupt the receivers at the line to buy their pass rush a half second. If so, Trevor needs to hit a couple over the top to keep them honest.

(09-28-2022, 05:02 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(09-28-2022, 03:18 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Depends on how Philly schemes defensively. 

*Week one didn't feature many of these quick releases from Trevor. Wasn't in the gameplan. 
*Week two did feature them and for good reason. No defense gives up the underneath pass more readily than Gus Bradley's. 
Like fish in a barrel.
*Week three sought to continue week two's methodology since the bolts were always going to pressure the QB from the edge and have suspect cover linebackers. It worked again. 

Week four sees the Jags facing a coordinator who preaches adaptability and running different defensive fronts and schemes. 
Maybe our visiting philly fans can give you some insight as to how well Gannon's defense is prepared for on onslaught of quick-hit passes being peppered from sideline to sideline within the confines of the sticks, (I couldn't tell you)  but I'd wager Gannon has seen the tape from weeks 2 and 3 and has an inkling or two about what he needs to do to counter that stuff. 

We'll see. I don't think it will look like a cakewalk this time.
I do think that if we establish the run well early on, it may not matter, and I do think Pederson/Taylor have a bag of tricks saved up especially for this Sunday. 

Popcorn ready.

Don’t disagree in general with the above aside from week 1 not being quick release stuff from Trevor.  I left that game with the same feeling as you but on re-watch discovered that he was getting it out still very quickly.  They may have dialed it up further in the subsequent games, but the ball was out in under 3 seconds from the pocket all but once against Washington by my count and that once was a sack.

I think this focus on getting it out quick is helpful for Trevor and the offense, but I have to wonder if it’s more by necessity because of potential concerns about the o-line.  Everyone on the o-line smells like roses when the ball is gone at the 2 to 2.5 second mark.  

Trevor is down on the list of QBs passing yards through the air.  A lot of our passing yards are short passes with YAC.  I’ll take it however it comes and he’s been very good so I’m not complaining.  I just have to wonder if the Jags coaches aren’t as enamored with the pass blocking as the stats would have you believe.

It's both.

Getting it out quick on some two-read plays is helpful to young QBs who can execute that stuff - but in the past two games it has also been the perfect gameplan for the opponent. 

Gannon played lots of zone in 2021 in Philly, so on paper, it may work again this week, but I'm just not feeling as certain.
Watching series from eagles games this season, the LBs and safeties seem quicker getting to the ball and protecting against the conversion than what we've faced the past two weeks. 

I think they need to get the run working early so they can risk some longer developing routes off play action and not get stuck in dink and dunk mode the whole way in this particular matchup.

White shirt teal pants Sun

(09-28-2022, 06:38 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: White shirt teal pants Sun

Word? Should make the fans happy a bit then. I know a lot of people hate the all white look.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(09-28-2022, 06:41 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(09-28-2022, 06:38 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: White shirt teal pants Sun

Word? Should make the fans happy a bit then. I know a lot of people hate the all white look.

Teal pants are just horrible.
We don’t need to have 14 different jersey combinations.

I would have the (top/bottom) combos as below:

Teal/white
White/white
White/black
Black/black

And that’s it
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

(09-28-2022, 06:45 PM)SuperJville Wrote:
(09-28-2022, 06:41 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Word? Should make the fans happy a bit then. I know a lot of people hate the all white look.

Teal/white
White/white
White/black
Black/black

And that’s it

Exactly! And all of them with teal socks!
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

The OL should get another test this weekend. Eagles are currently #2 in sacks with 12. 9 of which came last week vs the Redskins.

Will be interesting to see how Fortner holds up against BIG Jordan Davis/Fletcher Cox and how the OTs will hold up against Brandon Graham.

Gotta take advantage of running the ball when Big Davis isn't in the game clogging up the middle.
https://twitter.com/_John_Shipley/status...7845161984

Looks like Taylor just needed some competition. That or a competent OL coach.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(This post was last modified: 09-28-2022, 08:54 PM by Eric1. Edited 1 time in total.)

(09-28-2022, 08:43 PM)Dimson Wrote: Looks like Taylor just needed some competition. That or a competent OL coach.

I imagine getting Scherff at RG next to him has helped a lot as well. Going from Cann/Bartch at RG to Scherff is like night and day.

Also doesn't hurt that it's his contract year. Players magically seem to play better in their contract years. I wonder why that is  Laughing

Between the passing of his dad, Scherff at RG, the competition with Walker, and contract year it was the right mixture for success

(09-28-2022, 06:45 PM)SuperJville Wrote:
(09-28-2022, 06:41 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Word? Should make the fans happy a bit then. I know a lot of people hate the all white look.

Teal/white
White/white
White/black
Black/black

And that’s it

Teal/Black
Teal/White
Teal/Teal
Black/Teal

White's ugly. Unless its the Bengals all white unis (with the white helmets) that looks sick

I have a feeling we might be in for some humble pie this weekend. Philly is just very stacked

(09-28-2022, 09:27 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: I have a feeling we might be in for some humble pie this weekend. Philly is just very stacked

I think Philly is a good team, and I could easily see them winning. However, they've beat the lions, vikings and commanders. Not like they are playing the best of the best. If people can say "the Jags have beaten teams that are beaten up" then we can say "who have they beaten?

(09-28-2022, 05:20 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I think Pederson introduces new formations in this game which keeps their defense on their toes.

1. Lawrence has been slowly but surely working that RPO into his game these past three weeks. A lot of opportunities are there for him to keep it and run with it. He's  handed it off probably 90% of the time. I think it's going to be 50/50 this time.

2. Lack of targets to the TE group. They have been extremely quiet in the gameplan. I see Arnold and Engram getting a combined 12 targets in this game. This is after seeing just 16 targets in 3 games so far.

3. Agnew, Etienne and Robinson seeing the field at the same time around midfield. This is that "call your pocket" aspect to Pederson's play calling I referenced earlier this year.

At midfield you can really get a defense on it's toes where you go "Okay. I have my consistent RB, my speed RB with WR skills and then probably their fastest player on the team all out here, [BLEEP] do I do?"

There's three ways you can attack a defense on one play within that unique range of hitting a homerun or getting inside the redzone.

This is the game I think where you see another layer to the offense being added. Starts with Lawrence's legs in the RPO game which then opens up the TE options.

That's how you get those big fellas gassed from the interior DL and LB's overthinking the run game and getting gouged down the seam for 15 by the TE.

I like all of these points.  I cant wait for this game.

(09-28-2022, 09:17 PM)MIJagsFan Wrote:
(09-28-2022, 06:45 PM)SuperJville Wrote: Teal pants are just horrible.

Teal/white
White/white
White/black
Black/black

And that’s it

Teal/Black
Teal/White
Teal/Teal
Black/Teal

White's ugly. Unless its the Bengals all white unis (with the white helmets) that looks sick

League rules say that one team has to wear white shirts every game.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(09-28-2022, 05:20 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I think Pederson introduces new formations in this game which keeps their defense on their toes.

1. Lawrence has been slowly but surely working that RPO into his game these past three weeks. A lot of opportunities are there for him to keep it and run with it. He's  handed it off probably 90% of the time. I think it's going to be 50/50 this time.

Great points thank you.  I believe Philly has seen our offense can consistently move down the field using shorter passes, screens etc. TL is getting quite comfortable operating this way.  When they do this they consume the clock.   I look for Philly to try to make this more difficult as it reduces their pass rush options.  They may line up off and use pre-snap movement.

Like you I expect a little different pass routes and distribution in this game.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(09-28-2022, 09:27 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: I have a feeling we might be in for some humble pie this weekend. Philly is just very stacked

I don't expect a humiliating loss, but it is by far our biggest challenge.

Biggest fear would be that we do lay an egg - the media would cool on our team so fast. What was it Vic used to say? I wouldn't worry about that.

(This post was last modified: 09-29-2022, 09:56 AM by Eagles1966. Edited 2 times in total.)

(09-28-2022, 08:30 PM)Eric1 Wrote: The OL should get another test this weekend. Eagles are currently #2 in sacks with 12. 9 of which came last week vs the Redskins.

Will be interesting to see how Fortner holds up against BIG Jordan Davis/Fletcher Cox and how the OTs will hold up against Brandon Graham.

Gotta take advantage of running the ball when Big Davis isn't in the game clogging up the middle.
https://twitter.com/_John_Shipley/status...7845161984

I wouldn’t fear our pass rush very much. We feasted on Wentz, but throw that game out and we had one and a half sacks over two games. Last year we were close to last in the league in sacks.