Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Have we been too harsh on Jawaan Taylor?

He was drafted in the 2nd round. A lot of high hopes for him because he was a player with all the tools.

His first 3 seasons he has struggled, but was still able to hold onto his spot. Penalties, poor technique, his feet have looked slow (although his athleticism brought him to the 2nd round).

I remember last game a compliment the announcers made about Cam Robinson. They basically said if you aren't saying an OL player's name, that usually means they are playing well.

I don't hear his name this year. We have a solid running game and our pass protection has been pretty good.

This is only his 4th year. Still a young player.

The past coaching staffs always liked him and supported him despite his mistakes and the fan's dislike.

We tend to make excuses for many players that haven't played well based on coaching and the general environment that has seemed to be counter productive to their development, but no one seems to think about that when it has come to his development.

He has played well this year and may be making that next step professionally under Pederson.

People have different time frames for their development.

Were we expecting too much too soon, especially considering the environments he was playing under?

Every single coaching staff we have had since drafting him and too have had a much more favorable view of him than the fans.

Fans were almost expecting Walker to take over the position, but he wasn't able to beat him out. (Contrary to some beliefs, coaches play who they think is the best player ).

He has played well this year so far.

Considering the circus around him most of his career and only being 24, do you think we may have judged him too soon?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(09-29-2022, 05:46 AM)Predator Wrote: He was drafted in the 2nd round. A lot of high hopes for him because he was a player with all the tools.

His first 3 seasons he has struggled, but was still able to hold onto his spot. Penalties, poor technique, his feet have looked slow (although his athleticism brought him to the 2nd round).

I remember last game a compliment the announcers made about Cam Robinson. They basically said if you aren't saying an OL player's name, that usually means they are playing well.

I don't hear his name this year. We have a solid running game and our pass protection has been pretty good.

The past coaching staffs always liked him and supported him despite his mistakes and the fan's dislike.

We tend to make excuses for many players that haven't played well based on coaching and the general environment that has seemed to be counter productive to their development, but no one seems to think about that when it has come to his development.

He has played well this year and may be making that next step professionally under Pederson.

Were we expecting too much too soon, especially considering the environments he was playing under?

Every single coaching staff we have had since drafting him and too have had a much more favorable view of him than the fans.

Fans were almost expecting Walker to take over the position, but he wasn't able to beat him out. (Contrary to some beliefs, coaches play who they think is the best player ).

Considering the circus around him most of his career and only being 24, do you think we may have judged him too soon?

I do believe the organization and new coaching staff is having a major impact on our players. Then again like some people work for people not companies, perhaps he is a players that plays for the coach(s).  In any event we will find out this year as the season progresses. I do remember last season when Cam took a leap in his level of play when we drafted Little.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(This post was last modified: 09-29-2022, 06:33 AM by Ronster. Edited 1 time in total.)

Jaguars' Jawaan Taylor Experiencing Breakthrough 2022 Season

“I’m playing for my Dad”

https://www.si.com/nfl/jaguars/news/jagu...022-season
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

Personally I think the thing what's helped Taylor and the line look decent in general has been Trevor playing fast and good play calling that keeps the defense off balance. I think the offensive line is still lower half of the league from an ability standpoint.

(09-29-2022, 06:22 AM)Jag149 Wrote:
(09-29-2022, 05:46 AM)Predator Wrote: He was drafted in the 2nd round. A lot of high hopes for him because he was a player with all the tools.

I do believe the organization and new coaching staff is having a major impact on our players. Then again like some people work for people not companies, perhaps he is a players that plays for the coach(s).  In any event we will find out this year as the season progresses. I do remember last season when Cam took a leap in his level of play when we drafted Little.

LMAO...  First off, the answer to this post is Hell Yeah most of the posters/Jaguar fans has been too hard on Taylor just like they've clowned on Mr. Khan, Baalke, former GMs and HCs. It's in their DNA when things doesn't go their way.

As for Little pushing Robinson and Taylor to be better. I disagree. Both players have and always has had the talent to man their positions. If Little were better than the two he'd have one of their positions. Little was placed on a peddle stool because said posters/fans wanted Robinson and Taylor replaced via. their personal opinions just like they Clowned for Baalke to be replaced. 

Also the exact same fans pitched a Hissy Fit because we didn't acquire an interior lineman other than drafting our now starting center. The fans roasted the team AGAIN via. their personal opinion(s). So again, YES the posters/fans has been too hard on the team in general. Now I do understand the scenario of the past decade but being a Negative Nancy doesn't help our team and to the fans that gave up on our team whether it's viewership and or gave up their season tickets. Please keep that same mindset when the Jaguars become revalent again. Either you're a Jaguar Fan and support our team through the Bad and Good or you're a Jaguar Fan ONLY when things goes your way.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

I'm a little suspicious of guys who suck until their contract year. True, coaching could be a large factor but you have to wonder if he'll maintain it after he signs his next contract.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(09-29-2022, 07:22 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: Personally I think the thing what's helped Taylor and the line look decent in general has been Trevor playing fast and good play calling that keeps the defense off balance. I think the offensive line is still lower half of the league from an ability standpoint.

This by a landslide. It's the same reason guys like Zane Beadles got a big contract when hes average. If the offense is clicking and we arent holding the ball every play this kind of thing happens.

(This post was last modified: 09-29-2022, 08:22 AM by StrayaJag. Edited 1 time in total.)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCrXAf3eek8

(This post was last modified: 09-29-2022, 09:00 AM by SeldomRite. Edited 1 time in total.)

(09-29-2022, 08:18 AM)Big Dougy P Wrote:
(09-29-2022, 07:22 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: Personally I think the thing what's helped Taylor and the line look decent in general has been Trevor playing fast and good play calling that keeps the defense off balance. I think the offensive line is still lower half of the league from an ability standpoint.

This by a landslide. It's the same reason guys like Zane Beadles got a big contract when hes average. If the offense is clicking and we arent holding the ball every play this kind of thing happens.

I saw a pff video the other day where they mentioned Trevor has elite sack avoidance ability. Last year he was excellent in the stat with only 14% of his pressured drop-backs resulting in a sack and this year he's been elite in the stat and only been sacked on 6% of his pressured drop-backs. That means that 1 out of 16 times the defense beats the offensive line they actually manage to get a sack. The rest of the time he's getting rid of the ball.

So, why does the offensive line look like it's decent, now? Because, much the way Peyton Manning and superior offensive scheme made his line look good, Trevor and superior offensive scheme is making our line look good.

Agreed

(09-29-2022, 08:00 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: I'm a little suspicious of guys who suck until their contract year. True, coaching could be a large factor but you have to wonder if he'll maintain it after he signs his next contract.
Also agreed

(This post was last modified: 09-29-2022, 09:06 AM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

Nope. I know Johnny-O on 1010XL yesterday made a comment along the lines of "He's not that bad as some people have made him out to be prior to this season". Listen, over the last two years he was pretty bad. He was notorious for getting flagged after decent plays or killing 3rd down conversions. False starts were also an issue.

I still have my reservations as well about him and I already made my comments on it somewhere in a different thread. Basically, it really, really pisses me off. It essentially took for an open competition to be declared with Walker Little to light a fire under his [BLEEP] during training camp. It's a contract year. He can chop it up to playing for his Dad all he wants.

I am on the fence with him. We still have a long way to go this year. The Eagles are coming off an 8 or 9 sack game from this past Sunday. Let's see how he fairs. He got lucky in L.A after Bosa said [BLEEP] it and tapped out early in the 1st half. Fletcher Cox and Jordan Davis are [BLEEP] handfuls for sure from the interior and it wouldn't surprise me if one of those whoppers rolls off the guard and pops Taylor on his [BLEEP] for a big play.

Lageman flatout said on check the tape Tuesday that even though Taylor has improved this year, he still needs to get better in the run blocking game. I don't think we've been too harsh on him at all. I honestly feel like he's been lazy the last few years and it took for an open competition and the passing of his father for reality to sink in. Some guys just mature a little bit later than others. Am I happy he's playing better? Absolutely. I am happy anytime a 2nd RD pick is playing up to their potential. Was happy when they managed to keep Cam Robinson here.

That's one less draft pick or cap crunching move you have to make to bolster their positions. Still pisses me off though at the end of the day. Baalke probably doesn't invest that 2nd RD pick in Walker Little had Taylor played better last year. Then we could have looked at a player like Asante Samuel Jr. at CB to pair up with Tyson Campbell or even went after a good TE in Pat Freiermuth who the Steelers now have. Which, in turn? Baalke swapped Henderson out last year to get Dan Arnold and you had to sign Evan Engram in the off season.

Every little move has a lasting ripple effect. For better or worse. Guess it should be water under the bridge right? They're 2 - 1 and could be 3 - 1 and top dogs in the power rankings if they thump the Eagles on the road this Sunday. [BLEEP] happens for a reason. So, there's that I guess.

(09-29-2022, 08:58 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(09-29-2022, 08:18 AM)Big Dougy P Wrote: This by a landslide. It's the same reason guys like Zane Beadles got a big contract when hes average. If the offense is clicking and we arent holding the ball every play this kind of thing happens.

I saw a pff video the other day where they mentioned Trevor has elite sack avoidance ability. Last year he was excellent in the stat with only 14% of his pressured drop-backs resulting in a sack and this year he's been elite in the stat and only been sacked on 6% of his pressured drop-backs. That means that 1 out of 16 times the defense beats the offensive line they actually manage to get a sack. The rest of the time he's getting rid of the ball.

So, why does the offensive line look like it's decent, now? Because, much the way Peyton Manning and superior offensive scheme made his line look good, Trevor and superior offensive scheme is making our line look good.

I agree with this. I think Pederson was seeing how much he could get away with in the opener on the road and it was made pretty apparent early on after Jack adjusted that he wasn't going to be able to keep dropping back with 5 steps and letting big plays develop. 

That's a credit given to Doug. I am still very much on the fence with Taylor and I think this Sunday will be a big time opportunity for him. We'll see.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Have we been too harsh? No. It's not harsh to expect 3rd year guys not to make rookie mistakes. It's not harsh to expect a second round pick to show growth and development after several years.

I think a lot of the penalties were attempts to compensate, either lack of speed or strength or technique, but most of his flags were attempts to jump the snap, or a costly hold. Those are coachable fixes. As others have said, I think that Doug and Press are doing well to scheme to our strengths, or maybe to veil some of our weaknesses. Taylor may be asked to do less now that he has a top tier guy beside him, or the play doesn't require 4 seconds to develop.

I'm glad he's showing improvement. Before this year, though, I don't know that anyone could say he was showing any differently than he did as a rook. Maybe that was poor coaching. Maybe that was poorer play at RG. Maybe he just didn't have the urgency that a contract year provides. It's a team sport, and similarly it's rarely one singular reason when someone does or doesn't play well.

For now, he is playing well, and it's benefitting the offense greatly. Let's hope it continues and he gives the FO a lot to consider when contract renewals enter discussion.

When I heard Pederson say he wasn't worried about Taylor at the end of preseason, I was very concerned.

Taylor has stepped up in a big, big way.

He has seriously turned a corner. I hope he can keep this up all year.
The question then becomes, what happens if we pay him?
Is he one of those guys who gets complacent? Or does he keep putting in the work?

I think the coaching staff, the contract year, and the personal loss have all motivated him.
I just don't know the longevity of the motivation.

(09-29-2022, 08:59 AM)wg171 Wrote:
Agreed

(09-29-2022, 08:00 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: I'm a little suspicious of guys who suck until their contract year. True, coaching could be a large factor but you have to wonder if he'll maintain it after he signs his next contract.
Also agreed

While the organizational changes and environment has helped the two points above are valid.   Actually, I would not be surprised to see him traded sometime to a team needing a tackle depending on how we do this season.  (and the development of Little)  I am confident Doug and Baalkie will make the correct move here. WOW can't believe I said that, but shows how far my attitude has come.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

I just haven’t seen anything much from Little, yet, to make me believe he can be a starting tackle.

No.

He deserved every shot of criticism that he got over the last few years. He was playing bad football.

However, he is playing well now so he deserves the praise.

Well he hasn't looked like Luke Joeckel this year.

(09-29-2022, 08:58 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(09-29-2022, 08:18 AM)Big Dougy P Wrote: This by a landslide. It's the same reason guys like Zane Beadles got a big contract when hes average. If the offense is clicking and we arent holding the ball every play this kind of thing happens.

That's part of what I saw last year that let me know he was ok.  His pocket awareness is phenomenal.  There can be chaos around him and his eyes are locked down field and he still is able to move when and where he needs to to allow him to get the pass off because he senses where the defender(s) is/are very well.  He hasn't shown that as much this year because there's been such a focus on making quick decisions and getting the ball out quickly and he's excelled at that too.

(09-29-2022, 11:44 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(09-29-2022, 08:58 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: I saw a pff video the other day where they mentioned Trevor has elite sack avoidance ability. Last year he was excellent in the stat with only 14% of his pressured drop-backs resulting in a sack and this year he's been elite in the stat and only been sacked on 6% of his pressured drop-backs. That means that 1 out of 16 times the defense beats the offensive line they actually manage to get a sack. The rest of the time he's getting rid of the ball.

That's part of what I saw last year that let me know he was ok.  His pocket awareness is phenomenal.  There can be chaos around him and his eyes are locked down field and he still is able to move when and where he needs to to allow him to get the pass off because he senses where the defender(s) is/are very well.  He hasn't shown that as much this year because there's been such a focus on making quick decisions and getting the ball out quickly and he's excelled at that too.

His first touchdown on Sunday was a great example of his pocket awareness. He realized pressure was going to get through the middle before it did and left the pocket keeping his eyes down field, making a great td throw.

I think it's part of the same skill that lets some QBs read and understand a defense. Some guys watch the receiver and have to see them get separation from their DB, or, even worse, just decide they're throwing to a guy before the snap of the ball (which is why some QBs only look good with great receivers and some look good with mediocre ones) because they have a very limited ability to see and quickly understand the defensive scheme. Other QBs learn to look at the position and direction of a few defenders and understand where the openings down the field will be, then throw to them. I think it's the same with understanding the pass rush and working the pocket. A QB who is great at that sees where his linemen are and what the defensive linemen are trying to do at the start of the play and they then understand where the pocket will be and they make it work, only needing to move when they see in their field of vision that someone is getting beat or will get beat.

All that's really just to say that Trevor has what it takes to be great. As he gains more experience and time with his coaches he'll come to recognize what defenders are doing more and more quickly until he's gotten to the point of being like Brady and Manning.

(09-29-2022, 12:36 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(09-29-2022, 11:44 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: That's part of what I saw last year that let me know he was ok.  His pocket awareness is phenomenal.  There can be chaos around him and his eyes are locked down field and he still is able to move when and where he needs to to allow him to get the pass off because he senses where the defender(s) is/are very well.  He hasn't shown that as much this year because there's been such a focus on making quick decisions and getting the ball out quickly and he's excelled at that too.

His first touchdown on Sunday was a great example of his pocket awareness. He realized pressure was going to get through the middle before it did and left the pocket keeping his eyes down field, making a great td throw.

I think it's part of the same skill that lets some QBs read and understand a defense. Some guys watch the receiver and have to see them get separation from their DB, or, even worse, just decide they're throwing to a guy before the snap of the ball (which is why some QBs only look good with great receivers and some look good with mediocre ones) because they have a very limited ability to see and quickly understand the defensive scheme. Other QBs learn to look at the position and direction of a few defenders and understand where the openings down the field will be, then throw to them. I think it's the same with understanding the pass rush and working the pocket. A QB who is great at that sees where his linemen are and what the defensive linemen are trying to do at the start of the play and they then understand where the pocket will be and they make it work, only needing to move when they see in their field of vision that someone is getting beat or will get beat.

All that's really just to say that Trevor has what it takes to be great. As he gains more experience and time with his coaches he'll come to recognize what defenders are doing more and more quickly until he's gotten to the point of being like Brady and Manning.

This is also where Patrick Mahomes excels. He avoids pressure while reading the field quickly.