Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Have we been too harsh on Jawaan Taylor?

Unbelievable  Laughing
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(09-29-2022, 11:41 AM)JaguarJosh2 Wrote: Well he hasn't looked like Luke Joeckel this year.

What a bust he was, big ol dude, couldn’t play worth [BLEEP]..
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

(09-29-2022, 04:25 PM)Ronster Wrote:
(09-29-2022, 11:41 AM)JaguarJosh2 Wrote: Well he hasn't looked like Luke Joeckel this year.

Should have drafted Ziggy Ansah that year. Was surprised with it being Gus Bradley's first year here and being defensive minded.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(09-29-2022, 04:25 PM)Ronster Wrote:

And had the nerve to be pissed he wasn't taken 1st overall.

(This post was last modified: 09-30-2022, 02:16 PM by NewJagsCity. Edited 1 time in total.)

Didn't read the whole thread in detail, but 4 big factors here on his improved play.

1. Dedicating this years play to his late father.
2. Improved OL coaching this year
3. Has competition this year. Put a chip on his shoulder.
4. Contract year.

These aren't in any particular order, but I'd put my money on 1 and 4 being the biggest factors.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(This post was last modified: 09-30-2022, 04:27 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

https://twitter.com/Jaguars/status/15759...Y6npOuWs0g

Jawaan and Cam have developed into the bookend tackles that we needed. Taylor has to be the most improved player in the NFL since Tua went down.

(09-30-2022, 05:45 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Jawaan and Cam have developed into the bookend tackles that we needed. Taylor has to be the most improved player in the NFL since Tua went down.

You should probably watch Cam a bit more closely 

Might want to consider how fast the ball is getting out as well

I'm not ready to crown anyone on that line

(09-30-2022, 06:18 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(09-30-2022, 05:45 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Jawaan and Cam have developed into the bookend tackles that we needed. Taylor has to be the most improved player in the NFL since Tua went down.

You should probably watch Cam a bit more closely 

Might want to consider how fast the ball is getting out as well

I'm not ready to crown anyone on that line

Yeah, lack of pressures has been more due to Trevor than anything.  It’s Brady-esque from that particular angle.

Last game, the way Trevor was getting the ball out, def reminded me of how Brady gets the ball out and takes what the defense gives him. I also think we have improved offense line play as well.

Pressures and mistakes will happen.

(This post was last modified: 09-30-2022, 07:59 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(09-30-2022, 06:52 PM)TownCenterJag Wrote: Last game, the way Trevor was getting the ball out, def reminded me of how Brady gets the ball out and takes what the defense gives him. I also think we have improved offense line play as well.

Dougs play design and play calling is a big part of it

I still feel Cam is a middle of the league LT. Probably around 13- 15 and Taylor is having his best season yet, although I wouldnt call it a All Pro season. Fortner and Bartch have struggled in pass pro this year but i did think the last game was both of their best games so far. Scherff even had a rough game week one with the rookie next to him and a new team but i feel he has started to settle in and has gotten better each game so far. I do also really like Bartch in the run game.

(09-30-2022, 06:52 PM)TownCenterJag Wrote: Last game, the way Trevor was getting the ball out, def reminded me of how Brady gets the ball out and takes what the defense gives him. I also think we have improved offense line play as well.

Brady has rings doing that. Brady also has had a long career due to his body not taking the hits.The best way to help the line is to get that ball out quick. This proves he is seeing the field quicker.

(09-30-2022, 02:16 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: Didn't read the whole thread in detail, but 4 big factors here on his improved play.

1.  Dedicating this years play to his late father.
2.  Improved OL coaching this year
3.  Has competition this year.  Put a chip on his shoulder.
4.  Contract year.

These aren't in any particular order, but I'd put my money on 1 and 4 being the biggest factors.

Interesting.  I would guess #2 and #3 as being the biggest factors..  I also think there is a #5 -- Trevor getting the ball out faster.

(09-30-2022, 09:47 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:
(09-30-2022, 02:16 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: Didn't read the whole thread in detail, but 4 big factors here on his improved play.

1.  Dedicating this years play to his late father. Motivation to put in the work and change
2.  Improved OL coaching this year  People work for people, players play for coaches (we have actual coaches this year)
3.  Has competition this year.  Put a chip on his shoulder.  Motivation, he was told before the season began they were going to play the best player.  He realized these guys were serious.
4.  Contract year.  Motivation, who really wants to be traded for a 6th round pick anyways

Interesting.  I would guess #2 and #3 as being the biggest factors..  I also think there is a #5 -- Trevor getting the ball out faster.

My notes above #1, #3 and #4 provide the motivation.  #2 and #5 are the factors I would say enabled the change.  Guy has always had the tools to be good.

I cannot imagine how our players have felt playing for the collection of coaches we had here before. Going out and losing (sometimes badly) has to have a negative effect on them.  I feel good for the ones that have survived this long and had to endure all the bad times.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

I read recently on the Jags Instagram where he said having Little to battle with in training camp is what turned things around for him. Considering Little isn't that good and didn't get the job you have to wonder what he brought to the table that pushed Taylor's buttons to improve. Who knows? It's worked so far and if it continues then that's a win for us. 

It doesn't have to make sense to us in order to work for Taylor. Some players work better in tandem rather than alone. In this case it happened in training camp. Is Little even on the team? If so, maybe that's keeping Taylor sharp.

(09-29-2022, 09:49 AM)Mikey Wrote:  attempts to jump the snap, or a costly hold. Those are coachable fixes. As others have said, I think that Doug and Press are doing well to scheme to our strengths, or maybe to veil some of our weaknesses. Taylor may be asked to do less now that he has a top tier guy beside him, or the play doesn't require 4 seconds to develop.

This is what any coach should do, instead we've had coaches try to shoehorn players into positions they are not good at/should never be in (Myles Jack, Matt Jones, and the player a few years back whose position was Offensive Weapon (?!?!), etc.) We've had coaches who insist on running 3-4 or 4-3 without having the right players to do it. Then we had the dumb as hell Tim Tebow experiment last year. 

I realize it's not as easy as a coach coming in and having or being able to aquire the players he needs to run the team he wants. I also realize coaches have specific strengths be it on offense or defense so if an offensive heavy coach comes to a team that was previously coached by a defensive heavy coach that will be tough to reconcile. 

It seems, so far anyway, that Doug is able to make adjustments where necessary to do just what you said; scheme to our strengths or veil our weaknesses. This is what great coaches do, especially when handed a team that has been through what ours has in the last few years. Talk about a Charlie Foxtrot. 

Tomorrow's game is going to tell us a lot about the 2022 team and the coaching staff. I hope it tells us we are firing on all cylinders for the long haul and this isn't a repeat of the 2017 one-and-done.  season.

My impression is that when we drafted Taylor we were getting a high first round pick who dropped to 2. Round due to an injury, and people expected him to play like a top grade draft pick.

Whether he has deserved all the criticism or not is hard to say, but he has previously racked up quite a bit of penalties. This season he has looked better.

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2022, 05:57 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

Probably the 2nd worst player today behind Trev, the last 2 fumbles were because Taylor got destroyed

(10-02-2022, 05:56 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Probably the 2nd worst player today behind Trev, the last 2 fumbles were because Taylor got destroyed

Taylor isn't good. The line needs work including both tackle spots.