Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Blake Bortles retires

(10-05-2022, 10:59 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: What do you do at age 30 with a chunk of money in the bank and a set of skills which are no longer marketable? Tulsa Welding School?

He’s expressed an interest in construction.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 10-05-2022, 07:42 PM by Jag88.)

He will be drinking beers on the beach like he always did before games

(This post was last modified: 10-05-2022, 09:18 PM by NewJagsCity.)

(10-05-2022, 09:15 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(10-05-2022, 08:45 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: The Boat retires

https://jaguarswire.usatoday.com/2022/10...d-jaguars/

Let’s be real.  He retired as soon as he signed his extension here.

+1

(10-05-2022, 10:48 AM)Jag149 Wrote: Ok so whats next?

Isnt he coaching HS somewhere at the moment?
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

We'll never forget that 2017 season. He should of been the 1st QB to take this franchise to the Superb Owl, but we got screwed instead. Decent football player, but an even better dude. May the BOAT sail on!

(10-05-2022, 01:47 PM)mikesez Wrote: I appreciate every game we got to watch with Bortles, even the ones where he was lost.  Because physically he was trying.  He could read a defense faster than I could, but not fast enough for the NFL.  And he had very little sense of timing.  But physically he would put his butt on the line and try to run and extend plays and lower his shoulder. Total opposite of Leftwich and Gabbert. 

Hoping we finally have a guy who can put the brain part and the muscle part together.

Dude really was tough and a great athlete and worked hard. He wasn't great at recognizing defenses but he wasn't terrible. His Achilles heel was an inability to deliver the ball consistently and on time. Some of those wounded ducks were so bad it was comical. He once said himself that throwing the rock did not come naturally. Never could really develop that aspect of his game unfortunately because he seemed to have everything else .
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

I'm wearing my Bortles jersey this Sunday. Loved him when he was here. Like everyone said, even if he wasn't the most talented, he def gave it all he had and wanted to win. Always took the media critique, never had an attitude. I'm actually really surprised he never caught on as a backup somewhere, I'd take him over Beathard honestly.

Personally, I couldn't stand having him as a QB.. Seems like a cool dude, just not my QB and never was..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(10-06-2022, 10:52 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: Personally, I couldn't stand having him as a QB.. Seems like a cool dude, just not my QB and never was..

Was it just from a performance standpoint? I get that if so. He had all the intangibles you want, just not the actual play lol

(10-06-2022, 10:58 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(10-06-2022, 10:52 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: Personally, I couldn't stand having him as a QB.. Seems like a cool dude, just not my QB and never was..

Was it just from a performance standpoint? I get that if so. He had all the intangibles you want, just not the actual play lol

I think it was all the pick 6's lolol

(10-06-2022, 11:12 AM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(10-06-2022, 10:58 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Was it just from a performance standpoint? I get that if so. He had all the intangibles you want, just not the actual play lol

I think it was all the pick 6's lolol

[Image: 1.0.jpg]

(10-06-2022, 11:15 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(10-06-2022, 11:12 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: I think it was all the pick 6's lolol

[Image: 1.0.jpg]

Just saw this lol
https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/..._zXkg&s=19

(10-06-2022, 11:44 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: Just saw this lol

Less than one per game! The Boat!!

(10-06-2022, 02:37 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(10-06-2022, 11:44 AM)WingerDinger Wrote: Just saw this lol

Less than one per game! The Boat!!

That's just the thing, when dude was on, he was on!!

But when he wasn't, he was HORRIBAD..

(This post was last modified: 10-06-2022, 04:11 PM by rfc17. Edited 1 time in total.)

(10-06-2022, 09:56 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: Dude really was tough and a great athlete and worked hard. He wasn't great at recognizing defenses but he wasn't terrible. His Achilles heel was an inability to deliver the ball consistently and on time. Some of those wounded ducks were so bad it was comical. He once said himself that throwing the rock did not come naturally. Never could really develop that aspect of his game unfortunately because he seemed to have everything else .

Wasn't he left handed naturally but threw with his right for whatever reason?  I know there are the famous examples across sports of great athletes playing with their less dominant hand (Phil Mickleson, Rafael Nadal, etc...) but always wondered if Bortles would have been better off playing football as a lefty.  

I have no bad feelings towards the guy.  2017 was great.  Probably drafted earlier than he should have been but generally have to reach for QBs when desperately in need of one.  Guy had a ton of guts.  Rarely injured even though he wasn't afraid to get physical.  Seemed like an all around good dude.  I know I wouldnt have minded being 30, retired, and sitting on a boatload of cash.

Blake Bortles. The farthest I've ever seen the Jags go was with him. I've just recently gotten over that AFCC game vs the Pats. We were cheated out of a SB appearance, and possibly victory. The most rigged game I've ever seen.

He was never a great QB. But you can't say the dude didn't have heart. And I truly believe he cared and WANTED to be a Jag. I had a feeling this was coming, especially after I saw the news about him requesting to be released by the Saints. We all glorify the backup role, but apparently, it's a ton of work. You have to watch just as much if not more film than the starter, and be his right hand man. As a player who's enjoyed success starting, he was probably just burnt out, and probably even doubted his own abilities.

I wish the BOAT nothing but success and happiness as he moves onto the next chapter of his life as a father. Farewell Blake!

Good for him to achieve and acquire what he has from his NFL because it's truly a once in a lifetime opportunity. I hope he manages build his wealth and not blow it all away after a few years because that's life-altering money that 99.9% of people will never even come close to.

You know he's gonna have some fun though because hes THE BOAT.

But I appreciate his career here in Jax regardless of the ups and downs - and that 2017 run was special where we all know Myles Jack wasn't down. Thanks BB5 and go easy on your liver.