Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Will Trevor improve to be our guy where we give him a 2nd contract and be a top 10 QB?
This poll is closed.
Yes
42.44%
73 42.44%
No
57.56%
99 57.56%
Total 172 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Will Trevor figure it out and be our franchise QB?

Yea

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Yes

I'm not voting because I'm pretty 50/50 right now.

He's making some pretty damn bad decisions right now. Questionable accuracy, forcing throws, not seeing the field, not throwing guys open.

My fear right now is that he's going to be Bortles 2.0. He'll make some great throws, and then he'll sink some games. He'll make us wonder if he can be the guy, and then he'll [BLEEP] all over that idea.

(10-10-2022, 08:05 PM)Charlie Sheen Wrote: I'm not voting because I'm pretty 50/50 right now.

He's making some pretty damn bad decisions right now. Questionable accuracy, forcing throws, not seeing the field, not throwing guys open.

My fear right now is that he's going to be Bortles 2.0. He'll make some great throws, and then he'll sink some games. He'll make us wonder if he can be the guy, and then he'll [BLEEP] all over that idea.

Well, I can’t alleviate all your concerns, but he’s miles better than Bortles ever was as a passer even at this moment.  When he starts throwing pick 6s and picks deep in our own territory, then a Bortles comparison makes sense. Until then, it’s a reach.

(This post was last modified: 10-10-2022, 08:13 PM by Charlie Sheen.)

(10-10-2022, 08:10 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(10-10-2022, 08:05 PM)Charlie Sheen Wrote: I'm not voting because I'm pretty 50/50 right now.

Well, I can’t alleviate all your concerns, but he’s miles better than Bortles ever was as a passer even at this moment.  When he starts throwing pick 6s and picks deep in our own territory, then a Bortles comparison makes sense. Until then, it’s a reach.

Not really. We've seen flashes of what Trevor can do, but I think the hype has made some people blind to the mistakes.

I like Trevor. I really, really want him to succeed and after the first three weeks I had all the hope in the world that he was going to show why he was rated as highly as he was. But these last two weeks have really put a damper on things.

His deep ball accuracy is [BLEEP] atrocious.

I'd like to also remind everyone that even with him playing well in weeks 2 and 3, he's had several dropped interceptions.

Even the best have bad days…..and the young ones have them more often.

Yes

(10-10-2022, 08:13 PM)Charlie Sheen Wrote:
(10-10-2022, 08:10 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: Well, I can’t alleviate all your concerns, but he’s miles better than Bortles ever was as a passer even at this moment.  When he starts throwing pick 6s and picks deep in our own territory, then a Bortles comparison makes sense. Until then, it’s a reach.

Not really. We've seen flashes of what Trevor can do, but I think the hype has made some people blind to the mistakes.

I like Trevor. I really, really want him to succeed and after the first three weeks I had all the hope in the world that he was going to show why he was rated as highly as he was. But these last two weeks have really put a damper on things.

I'd like to also remind everyone that even with him playing well in weeks 2 and 3, he's had several dropped interceptions.
Do any of you remember that jets preseason game in like 2013 or 2012 where gabbert was like 16-18 and had solid stats, but all of the plays were hogh percentage short passes like screens etc… fools gold of a stat line, similar to what Trevor had in our wins. Nothing he did was extremely impressive outside of the numbers. This is the exact reason why i knew his flaws while most fans didnt. I watched every snap he played in college, i didnt listen to espn heads or just look at his stats. 

Theres a reason why what ive said has been fairly accurate in regards to the kid and its because i put in the time and effort to evaluate him. It dosent take some absurd level of intelligence to watch and learn. 

I still dont think hes a bust, but like ive said he needs to seriously improve his weak areas because you cant win in the nfl if your decision making and accuracy are f tier.

(This post was last modified: 10-10-2022, 09:15 PM by Jaguarmeister. Edited 2 times in total.)

(10-10-2022, 08:13 PM)Charlie Sheen Wrote:
(10-10-2022, 08:10 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: Well, I can’t alleviate all your concerns, but he’s miles better than Bortles ever was as a passer even at this moment.  When he starts throwing pick 6s and picks deep in our own territory, then a Bortles comparison makes sense. Until then, it’s a reach.

What you're experiencing is recency bias.  The thread below was apparently before your time here, but feel free to take a stroll down memory lane regarding Bortles thru his 3rd season:

https://www.duvalpride.com/showthread.php?tid=1894

I hope so

I see CJB and 20 of his Alts voted.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 10-11-2022, 07:42 AM by Newton.)

I think I trust Trevor to develop more than I do a new qb to succeed. However, if we ended up drafting top 5, you consider taking another qb. If we get it together and win 7-8 games, then I don’t think it’s even in the conversation to draft a qb early.

Probably team sort of figured out what they were doing offensively the first three games and started to adjust. Now it’s up to see if Trevor and Doug can adjust further.

(This post was last modified: 10-11-2022, 08:43 AM by Mikey.)

(10-10-2022, 04:30 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I’m not trying to throw gas on the fire, but if he doesn’t get it figured out then we will have a Baker Mayfield/Browns type of situation.

#1 overall pick is supposed to be a sure fire pro bowl/all pro type of player going into year 2 or 3. The honeymoon phase is over with.

On a side note, is he really afraid of getting hit? Maybe it’s just me..

not afraid of getting hit, but when you get hit you can't get a pass downfield.

I'd rather he roll out and throw a pass that ends up dropped by a waffle-handed TE than take a 12 yard sack.

(10-10-2022, 05:01 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(10-10-2022, 04:30 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I’m not trying to throw gas on the fire, but if he doesn’t get it figured out then we will have a Baker Mayfield/Browns type of situation.

#1 overall pick is supposed to be a sure fire pro bowl/all pro type of player going into year 2 or 3. The honeymoon phase is over with.

I can't tell. That's a fair question. I want to know why he hesitates to take off with the football though. He has just enough athleticism to where he can get past a front seven. I felt like they were going in that direction in the Eagles loss and maybe those fumbles really scared him off from doing it in yesterday's game. 

That INT in the end zone just aggravates the hell out of me though. Those are plays that Mahomes, Allen, Rodgers & Jackson make routinely with their legs. Was no [BLEEP] reason to throw that football there.

This is very much said in hindsight. If you watch him, he's staring Zay down, and from what he saw, Zay was open, had his coverage beat. Stingley made a very heady play to see the route and intervene. Most rookie CB don't notice that going on behind them.

It sucks, it happened. Now if he keeps making that same mistake week in and week out, smash that panic button.

I can only imagine that if he runs for the first, and we end up settling for a FG after a few failed runs or bad drops, everyone would be screaming that he missed an open Zay on that play.

(This post was last modified: 10-11-2022, 08:52 AM by Caldrac.)

(10-11-2022, 07:41 AM)Newton Wrote: I think I trust Trevor to develop more than I do a new qb to succeed. However, if we ended up drafting top 5, you consider taking another qb. If we get it together and win 7-8 games, then I don’t think it’s even in the conversation to draft a qb early.

Probably team sort of figured out what they were doing offensively the first three games and started to adjust. Now it’s up to see if Trevor and Doug can adjust further.

I don't think this team is picking in the top five next year. I think at the minimum with Doug Pederson and Co. they're going to be hovering around that 6 win minimum mark every year while he's here, barring any significant and key injuries of course. 

It's week six. You're 2 - 3. It's a very delicate time of the year now where if you [BLEEP] around and lose another game or two you're going to have a tough time keeping the morale high and rallying the troops. 

I think Doug puts together a gameplan that sets Lawrence up to succeed. I don't think he's there yet as far as being consistently good from the pocket but he's been very, very good when using his legs and getting outside the pocket. They're going to need to do more of that this year and they're going to need to be very limited and picky and choosy when they call their deep shots. 

I feel like the deep shots really need to come off the play action action game though or roll outs where he's got three receivers running layered routes to one side of the field. It was working earlier on during the year. 

He has to take what the defense is giving him as well. He had Robinson in the check down wide open on 2nd and goal. He even looked at him, looked away and then shot a bullet over the middle and out of bounds. Again, Brett Favre-esque. Sunshine Brett Favre needs to find a good balance of Captain Checkdown from Garrard's days while also knowing when to take those shots.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(10-11-2022, 08:38 AM)Mikey Wrote:

not afraid of getting hit, but when you get hit you can't get a pass downfield.

I'd rather he roll out and throw a pass that ends up dropped by a waffle-handed TE than take a 12 yard sack.

(10-10-2022, 05:01 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I can't tell. That's a fair question. I want to know why he hesitates to take off with the football though. He has just enough athleticism to where he can get past a front seven. I felt like they were going in that direction in the Eagles loss and maybe those fumbles really scared him off from doing it in yesterday's game. 

That INT in the end zone just aggravates the hell out of me though. Those are plays that Mahomes, Allen, Rodgers & Jackson make routinely with their legs. Was no [BLEEP] reason to throw that football there.

This is very much said in hindsight. If you watch him, he's staring Zay down, and from what he saw, Zay was open, had his coverage beat. Stingley made a very heady play to see the route and intervene. Most rookie CB don't notice that going on behind them.

It sucks, it happened. Now if he keeps making that same mistake week in and week out, smash that panic button.

I can only imagine that if he runs for the first, and we end up settling for a FG after a few failed runs or bad drops, everyone would be screaming that he missed an open Zay on that play.

What's concerning is that he didn't see Stingley, just like he didn't see Bradbury the week before.  He has to be able to see the field and the defenders better than that.   They were rookie mistakes in his 21st and 22nd game

(10-11-2022, 08:54 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(10-11-2022, 08:38 AM)Mikey Wrote: not afraid of getting hit, but when you get hit you can't get a pass downfield.

What's concerning is that he didn't see Stingley, just like he didn't see Bradbury the week before.  He has to be able to see the field and the defenders better than that.   They were rookie mistakes in his 21st and 22nd game

He sure didn’t. Lawrence gets severe tunnel vision when under pressure.

(10-11-2022, 08:54 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(10-11-2022, 08:38 AM)Mikey Wrote: not afraid of getting hit, but when you get hit you can't get a pass downfield.

(10-11-2022, 08:56 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(10-11-2022, 08:54 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: What's concerning is that he didn't see Stingley, just like he didn't see Bradbury the week before.  He has to be able to see the field and the defenders better than that.   They were rookie mistakes in his 21st and 22nd game

He sure didn’t. Lawrence gets severe tunnel vision when under pressure.

This is why he just needs to tuck the damn thing and run with it. If you're feeling the pressure and already flushing out to the left or right just go. Take it and go. I can get over his lack of accuracy on the deep ball if he can compensate with his legs from time to time and not turn the ball over in scoring opportunities. 

Those are backbreakers. We can argue play call this, play call that. Bottomline, it was working, the calls got you there, now, stand and deliver or the devil he may take ya.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

The answer is yes.

Right now is a frustrating time because he has shrunk during the most important time of the last two games, but the kid is light years improved from last year. Just keep on improving TLaw and this team will lift you up brother.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

Learn from the great collapse of 2023.  

(10-10-2022, 08:02 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Unknown.  I have no idea at this point.

Ya, this is me. The Jags have crap luck with QB’s. Garrard was their last decent QB, and even he choked in big games. Maybe Brunnell has something left…
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

(10-11-2022, 09:46 AM)Ronster Wrote:
(10-10-2022, 08:02 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Unknown.  I have no idea at this point.

Ya, this is me. The Jags have crap luck with QB’s. Garrard was their last decent QB, and even he choked in big games. Maybe Brunnell has something left…

Lawrence is starting to remind me of a good blend of all of our QB's over the years. He gets happy feet like Minshew but doesn't run downfield. He has decent pocket awareness but has really poor deep ball accuracy when the pocket is clean, similar to Bortles, the turnovers are there like Bortles as well, albeit, not as ugly in regards to leading to actual points on the spot for the other team. 

He just isn't clutch yet neither which is something Garrard struggled with and Brunell struggled with. Maybe it's just long overdue Karma and maybe Pederson can exercise all of these demons here and get Lawrence right as our QB.