Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
I vote for Dewey Wingard to start at SS

(11-29-2022, 04:53 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://twitter.com/PFF_Jaguars/status/1...yzJhDiOo0Q

DEWEY is the man!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-29-2022, 08:53 PM)Jags Wrote:
(11-29-2022, 08:22 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I've got a heavy old fashioned streak and don't agree with the diva style antics that many young athletes are prone to -- but that isn't the point here. 

The point is that someone in his position HAS TO be able to manage those types of personalities in order to retain talent and keep teams on mission. 

He couldn't do that. 

The days of a hard-nosed- old-school disciplinarian in this league are long gone whether you, I, or anyone like it. 

It's a drag - but he was the wrong guy for the job and that was a big reason why.

I do not disagree with any of this.  I guess it’s the old timer in me and the nostalgia of having Coughlin back that makes it hard for me.  I understand young players these days are different than in the years past.  Times have changed, no doubt.  That’s why I said “back it up 10 years or so” and we’d have a championship.  Could’ve would’ve should’ve…. Coughlin will be remembered as a great coach despite his VP role being a dud.

Had he just acted as a coach, he'd have been a legend here. It's everything else he did that soured many on his legacy.

I love everything about Dewey as a person. I just wish he was consistently better on the field. He'll be here until he retires though honestly.

(11-29-2022, 08:09 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(11-29-2022, 07:42 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I don't agree with much of the vitriol in that post, but Coughlin played a role in killing a winning window this team had cracked open due to a collection of defensive talent.

He doubled down on Bortles - spent a #4 pick on a RB - and alienated several players. (the latter being something he's done repeatedly throughout his career) 

He was not the right hire to oversee Caldwell. 

I respect him for his accomplishments, and I love his charitable work, but he did a horrible job as our football operations chief.
Managing young millionaires is part of the job and he sucks at that aspect in a major way.

Doubling down on Bortles was one thing, but him then throwing away $50m on Foles the following year was the real mistake.

The Foles thing is so weird. Sometimes I forget it even happened lol.

(12-01-2022, 11:04 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(11-29-2022, 08:09 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Doubling down on Bortles was one thing, but him then throwing away $50m on Foles the following year was the real mistake.

The Foles thing is so weird. Sometimes I forget it even happened lol.

As much as throwing money at Bortles hurt, throwing money at Foles plunged us deep into QB oblivion.  The guy was nothing more than a backup and because he had one six or seven game stretch for the Birds he cashed in.  I was against that move as soon as the rumor mill started churning.  He's proven how worthless he is with us and since he's left.  Nice guy, just not a very good QB.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

it wasn't just the re-signing of Bortles that was Coughlin's mistake. It was the way he treated the talent we had on the Defense. Coughlin insulted the players on D.

Now don't get me wrong... Jalen Ramsey is a punk, and I'm actually glad he's gone. But he was the Queen of the Defense. Hell, his [BLEEP]-[BLEEP]-ness, punk-salty-attitude splilled over to Lenny and made him act a fool during games. (See the Buffalo game he got kicked out of). But it's up to the front office to be the adults in that situation. Instead, Coughlin dropped a nuclear bomb of old man douch-baggery into a locker room of childish morons. But they were a room of top 3 childish morons, a group that could have been massaged and managed and educated and brought into the light of how to be a successful professional ball player.

Instead, Coughlin lit the match and threw it into that locker room, thinking he'd come out on top. Instead, he blew up the whole damn thing. We could have had a 3 or 4 year run of real sustained success. But the vibe was so toxic that we basically blew up the entire 2017 squad that gave us success. It was tragedy of Greek proportions.

Coughlin may as well be Oedipus Rex. He killed the Defense and then screwed over the rest of the Franchise by thinking he was so great at building a champion. LOL. Just so tragic. And it's something I can't forgive him for. It's great he's a millionaire and has a charitable organization. That's the least multimillionaire with name recognition should do.

But spare me this whole concept that Coughlin should be praised as some genius football mind that helped the Jaguars. He only did so in folly. And I'll never praise that guy as anything other than an old, salty, dinosaur that fell [BLEEP] backwards into success.

And that's all I've got to say about that.

He’s earned the starting spot.

not sure if he's better than Jenkins but he is a hard hitter. Wingard takes alot of bad angles.

(12-01-2022, 11:40 AM)carp8dm Wrote: it wasn't just the re-signing of Bortles that was Coughlin's mistake.  It was the way he treated the talent we had on the Defense.  Coughlin insulted the players on D. 

Now don't get me wrong...  Jalen Ramsey is a punk, and I'm actually glad he's gone.  But he was the Queen of the Defense.  Hell, his [BLEEP]-[BLEEP]-ness, punk-salty-attitude splilled over to Lenny and made him act a fool during games.  (See the Buffalo game he got kicked out of).  But it's up to the front office to be the adults in that situation.  Instead, Coughlin dropped a nuclear bomb of old man douch-baggery into a locker room of childish morons.  But they were a room of top 3 childish morons, a group that could have been massaged and managed and educated and brought into the light of how to be a successful professional ball player. 

Instead, Coughlin lit the match and threw it into that locker room, thinking he'd come out on top.  Instead, he blew up the whole damn thing.  We could have had a 3 or 4 year run of real sustained success.  But the vibe was so toxic that we basically blew up the entire 2017 squad that gave us success.  It was tragedy of Greek proportions.

Coughlin may as well be Oedipus Rex.  He killed the Defense and then screwed over the rest of the Franchise by thinking he was so great at building a champion.  LOL.  Just so tragic.  And it's something I can't forgive him for.  It's great he's a millionaire and has a charitable organization.  That's the least multimillionaire with name recognition should do.

But spare me this whole concept that Coughlin should be praised as some genius football mind that helped the Jaguars.  He only did so in folly.  And I'll never praise that guy as anything other than an old, salty, dinosaur that fell [BLEEP] backwards into success.

Tom Coughlin is a hall of fame coach who built this franchise and twice won the Super Bowl with another. Because you are upset that he wouldn't coddle some malcontents you think he's bad. Sounds like it's you who has the problem.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 12-12-2022, 10:58 AM by HURRICANE!!!. Edited 1 time in total.)

(12-12-2022, 10:52 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(12-01-2022, 11:40 AM)carp8dm Wrote: But spare me this whole concept that Coughlin should be praised as some genius football mind that helped the Jaguars.  He only did so in folly.  And I'll never praise that guy as anything other than an old, salty, dinosaur that fell [BLEEP] backwards into success.

Tom Coughlin is a hall of fame coach who built this franchise and twice won the Super Bowl with another. Because you are upset that he wouldn't coddle some malcontents you think he's bad. Sounds like it's you who has the problem.

https://www.alz.org/help-support/i-have-...%20support.

24/7 Helpline

800.272.3900 — free and confidential
Dial 711 to connect with a TRS operator.
Call the Alzheimer's Association 24/7 Helpline (800.272.3900) anytime to receive reliable information, advice and support. Trained and knowledgeable staff are ready to listen and can help you with referrals to local community programs and services; dementia-related education; crisis assistance; and emotional support. Care consultations are provided by master's-level clinicians. We can also provide you help in your preferred language using our interpreter service.

Cisco is going to start when he comes back. Wingard should be our FS maybe?

(This post was last modified: 12-12-2022, 11:20 AM by carp8dm. Edited 1 time in total.)

(12-12-2022, 10:52 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(12-01-2022, 11:40 AM)carp8dm Wrote: it wasn't just the re-signing of Bortles that was Coughlin's mistake.  It was the way he treated the talent we had on the Defense.  Coughlin insulted the players on D. 

Now don't get me wrong...  Jalen Ramsey is a punk, and I'm actually glad he's gone.  But he was the Queen of the Defense.  Hell, his [BLEEP]-[BLEEP]-ness, punk-salty-attitude splilled over to Lenny and made him act a fool during games.  (See the Buffalo game he got kicked out of).  But it's up to the front office to be the adults in that situation.  Instead, Coughlin dropped a nuclear bomb of old man douch-baggery into a locker room of childish morons.  But they were a room of top 3 childish morons, a group that could have been massaged and managed and educated and brought into the light of how to be a successful professional ball player. 

Instead, Coughlin lit the match and threw it into that locker room, thinking he'd come out on top.  Instead, he blew up the whole damn thing.  We could have had a 3 or 4 year run of real sustained success.  But the vibe was so toxic that we basically blew up the entire 2017 squad that gave us success.  It was tragedy of Greek proportions.

Coughlin may as well be Oedipus Rex.  He killed the Defense and then screwed over the rest of the Franchise by thinking he was so great at building a champion.  LOL.  Just so tragic.  And it's something I can't forgive him for.  It's great he's a millionaire and has a charitable organization.  That's the least multimillionaire with name recognition should do.

But spare me this whole concept that Coughlin should be praised as some genius football mind that helped the Jaguars.  He only did so in folly.  And I'll never praise that guy as anything other than an old, salty, dinosaur that fell [BLEEP] backwards into success.

Maybe I have the problem.  Or maybe the "has been" coach that the game has passed by and decided to blow up a locker room that was potentially foundational was the problem?

Sorry, I wasn't a fan of the Jaguars in the 90s...  So I have no allegiance to the guy.  His glory days were well behind him by the time he came back to the Jaguars.  And all he did was blow up the entire freaking locker room.  

20 year old malcontents is the name of the freakin' business.  Part of the job of the front office is to figure out how to handle 53 of 'em.  It's weird, no other front office was in such disarray as the Jaguars were back then...  I guess our players were just exceptionally terrible, right?  

Dude, Coughlin was a disaster.   Just to remind anyone that has an open mind and isn't just blindly in love with a dinosaur: https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/12/18...-grievance

"Jaguars running back Leonard Fournette [font=HarrietText, sans-serif]confirmed[/font] to reporters that Coughlin fined him nearly $99,000 for sitting on the bench on the team’s sideline in Week 17 last year when the running back was inactive with an ankle injury. Fournette filed a grievance with the NFL Players Association and won. The Jaguars rescinded the fine. Apparently that is business as usual in Jacksonville. The Jaguars have been the subject of a quarter of all grievances the NFLPA has filed in the past two seasons, [font=HarrietText, sans-serif]according to the NFLPA[/font]. On Monday, the NFLPA revealed a Jaguars player was fined more than $700,000 for missed medical and/or rehab appointments at the team facility that Jacksonville had deemed mandatory, a violation of the collective bargaining agreement."

Bottom line is that I'm not a big fan of the guy as a football manager.  He seems to be very philanthropic, good for him.  I'm sure that privately, he's a super guy.  But I think my criticism of the dude's professional time here as a front office guy is not just a "me" problem.  I think my critique is actually quite valid.

(This post was last modified: 12-12-2022, 11:20 AM by I am Yoda.)

@carp8dm. Cry some more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

I thought we had this conversation already. Jalen quit due to a fight with Caldwell, bot Coughlin. Right?
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(This post was last modified: 12-12-2022, 11:58 AM by carp8dm. Edited 1 time in total.)

(12-12-2022, 11:41 AM)mikesez Wrote: I thought we had this conversation already.  Jalen quit due to a fight with Caldwell, bot Coughlin.  Right?

Dude, I don't know...  Honestly, I don't care.  The fact that Tom Coughlin was such a toxic piece of [BLEEP] resulted in our downward spiral that allowed us to get Trevor Lawrence.  So we should all thank Tom for being so absolutely inept and out of touch with NFL reality! Thanks Tom!

All I was saying is that I don't really respect Coughlin as a Front Office guy, and all of a sudden I have children telling me that I have problems and I need to mental help...

The childishness of some of these posters is pretty pathetic, considering they must be in their 50s, and they can't even handle a normal person disagreeing with one of their "heroes".  

Jalen absolutely was a terrible locker room presence.  The way he handled his contract was awefull.  The way he handled himself on the field was also aweful.  He doesn't seem to have those same issues in LA...  When you have a front office that is antagonistic to players the way Coughlin was, you get elite players (or at least players who think they are elite) that are gonna push back on some old dude that is treating them like they have less worth than they believe they have.

Coughlin was great in the 90s because he could handle the locker room the same way Urban Meyer handles locker rooms.  The problem is that when Coughlin came back 20 years later, things done changed.  And that dinosaur didn't see the asteroid had already hit the NFL world.

Again, I honestly don't care.  Just giving my opinion.  But I guess my opinion is so hurtful that some people think I have "problems" that need prevention.  So childish.

Instead of having a discussion, they attack me personally.  That's so pathetic for a group of 50 year olds that should be more mature and be able to have a normal conversation with someone they disagree with.

(12-12-2022, 11:41 AM)mikesez Wrote: I thought we had this conversation already.  Jalen quit due to a fight with Caldwell, bot Coughlin.  Right?

That dude wasn't a fan of the Jaguars then so he doesn't know that.

(12-12-2022, 11:57 AM)carp8dm Wrote:

Dude, I don't know...  Honestly, I don't care.  The fact that Tom Coughlin was such a toxic piece of [BLEEP] resulted in our downward spiral that allowed us to get Trevor Lawrence.  So we should all thank Tom for being so  absolutely inept and out of touch with NFL reality!  Thanks Tom!

All I was saying is that I don't really respect Coughlin as a Front Office guy, and all of a sudden I have children telling me that I have problems and I need to mental help...

The childishness of some of these posters is pretty pathetic, considering they must be in their 50s, and they can't even handle a normal person disagreeing with one of their "heroes".  

Jalen absolutely was a terrible locker room presence.  The way he handled his contract was awefull.  The way he handled himself on the field was also aweful.  He doesn't seem to have those same issues in LA...  When you have a front office that is antagonistic to players the way Coughlin was, you get elite players (or at least players who think they are elite) that are gonna push back on some old dude that is treating them like they have less worth than they believe they have.

Coughlin was great in the 90s because he could handle the locker room the same way Urban Meyer handles locker rooms.  The problem is that when Coughlin came back 20 years later, things done changed.  And that dinosaur didn't see the asteroid had already hit the NFL world.

Again, I honestly don't care.  Just giving my opinion.  But I guess my opinion is so hurtful that some people think I have "problems" that need prevention.  So childish.

Instead of having a discussion, they attack me personally.  That's so pathetic for a group of 50 year olds that should be more mature and be able to have a normal conversation with someone they disagree with.

Wow, that's a pretty serious victim complex you got there. You must be a Gen Z'er to need so much positive affirmation, kind of explains why you can't handle the mental toughness someone like Coughlin requires in his troops. It's ok, you can have a cookie though, that way you can be a winner too.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(12-12-2022, 11:19 AM)carp8dm Wrote:
(12-12-2022, 10:52 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Tom Coughlin is a hall of fame coach who built this franchise and twice won the Super Bowl with another. Because you are upset that he wouldn't coddle some malcontents you think he's bad. Sounds like it's you who has the problem.

Maybe I have the problem.  Or maybe the "has been" coach that the game has passed by and decided to blow up a locker room that was potentially foundational was the problem?

Sorry, I wasn't a fan of the Jaguars in the 90s...  So I have no allegiance to the guy.  His glory days were well behind him by the time he came back to the Jaguars.  And all he did was blow up the entire freaking locker room.  

20 year old malcontents is the name of the freakin' business.  Part of the job of the front office is to figure out how to handle 53 of 'em.  It's weird, no other front office was in such disarray as the Jaguars were back then...  I guess our players were just exceptionally terrible, right?  

Dude, Coughlin was a disaster.   Just to remind anyone that has an open mind and isn't just blindly in love with a dinosaur: https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/12/18...-grievance

"Jaguars running back Leonard Fournette [font=HarrietText, sans-serif]confirmed[/font] to reporters that Coughlin fined him nearly $99,000 for sitting on the bench on the team’s sideline in Week 17 last year when the running back was inactive with an ankle injury. Fournette filed a grievance with the NFL Players Association and won. The Jaguars rescinded the fine. Apparently that is business as usual in Jacksonville. The Jaguars have been the subject of a quarter of all grievances the NFLPA has filed in the past two seasons, [font=HarrietText, sans-serif]according to the NFLPA[/font]. On Monday, the NFLPA revealed a Jaguars player was fined more than $700,000 for missed medical and/or rehab appointments at the team facility that Jacksonville had deemed mandatory, a violation of the collective bargaining agreement."

Bottom line is that I'm not a big fan of the guy as a football manager.  He seems to be very philanthropic, good for him.  I'm sure that privately, he's a super guy.  But I think my criticism of the dude's professional time here as a front office guy is not just a "me" problem.  I think my critique is actually quite valid.

...it might be one of the few things we agree on.

Tom was a great coach. Full stop, end of paragraph.

(This post was last modified: 12-12-2022, 12:25 PM by carp8dm. Edited 2 times in total.)

(12-12-2022, 12:03 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

That dude wasn't a fan of the Jaguars then so he doesn't know that.

(12-12-2022, 11:57 AM)carp8dm Wrote: Dude, I don't know...  Honestly, I don't care.  The fact that Tom Coughlin was such a toxic piece of [BLEEP] resulted in our downward spiral that allowed us to get Trevor Lawrence.  So we should all thank Tom for being so  absolutely inept and out of touch with NFL reality!  Thanks Tom!

Wow, that's a pretty serious victim complex you got there. You must be a Gen Z'er to need so much positive affirmation, kind of explains why you can't handle the mental toughness someone like Coughlin requires in his troops. It's ok, you can have a cookie though, that way you can be a winner too.

LOL.  OK.  

Again, I actually provided some facts to discuss.  Yet here you are, continuing to attack me personally.  

Tom Coughlin was a cancer to this team when he came back.  That's how everyone younger than you will see it.  The reason you keep with the ad hominem is because you know you can't actually argue the facts.

Take it easy, "florida sports god"  LOL

Believe it or not, I'm a die hard Jaguars fan and I have been for a pretty long time.  Maybe instead of being an complete jerk, you could try and have a normal conversation with someone you have more in common with, than you have differences with.  

Just a thought

(12-12-2022, 12:12 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(12-12-2022, 11:19 AM)carp8dm Wrote: Maybe I have the problem.  Or maybe the "has been" coach that the game has passed by and decided to blow up a locker room that was potentially foundational was the problem?

...it might be one of the few things we agree on.

Tom was a great coach. Full stop, end of paragraph.

Coughlin was a great coach.

I never said he wasn't.

But what he did in 2018 will always leave a bad taste in my mouth for how awfull a manager of men he was.  Just terrible type of person.  I've worked with guys like 2018 Coughlin.  He's an organizational cancer.  That's all I'm saying.

I'm glad we excised him and used that downfall he caused to get Trevor Lawrence.  But it was still a terrible how he managed this team when he was in the front office.

Again, as a Head Coach and as a philanthropist, and as a normal human being, I've only seen great things from him.  But as a die hard Jags fan that wasn't around for the 90s glory, I don't really have that much loyalty to the guy.

(12-12-2022, 12:24 PM)carp8dm Wrote:
(12-12-2022, 12:03 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: That dude wasn't a fan of the Jaguars then so he doesn't know that.

LOL.  OK.  

Again, I actually provided some facts to discuss.  Yet here you are, continuing to attack me personally.  

Tom Coughlin was a cancer to this team when he came back.  That's how everyone younger than you will see it.  The reason you keep with the ad hominem is because you know you can't actually argue the facts.

Take it easy, "florida sports god"  LOL

Believe it or not, I'm a die hard Jaguars fan and I have been for a pretty long time.  Maybe instead of being an complete jerk, you could try and have a normal conversation with someone you have more in common with, than you have differences with.  

Just a thought

Tell you what, how about an olive branch. I read what I responded to in the first one and did not realize that you were only talking about his time as EVP. We can agree that those years did not turn out well because of Coughlin's style and the immaturity of the players in the locker room. As you've clarified that his other roles where he was tremendously successful were not your intent to discuss I will dismiss my grievance with your position. Fair?