Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Telvin Smith - A Liability?

With Myles Jack's role still unspecified entering week one of regular season and public acknowledgment by the team of Telvin Smith's lapses in positional awareness, could we see a prominent starter leapfrogged on the roster? 

Well... yes.  It's possible.  

While I'd like to see Telvin just get "coached up" on playing more disciplined with Jack joining him on nickel downs, the younger, bigger, faster Myles Jack may just be the Jags best bet at weak side linebacker. 

That would relegate Telvin to special teams work until Jack presumably takes over the middle linebacker spot late this year or early next year.  (Unless of course they feel good using Telvin and Jack in nickel package work. Here's hoping.)

Should be interesting to watch this unfold. Sure to be some upset fans if Telvin isn't getting in on a fair number of defensive snaps. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Telvin started slow last year but finished as the teams best defender. While Jack has talent, he will not be leaping past an experienced Telvin anytime soon. I think folks are reading too much into the preseason positionings. While Jack played decent in multiple positions, he made several mistakes as well. We'll see Jack get on the field in limited sets.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 09-06-2016, 10:00 AM by D6.)

Quote:With Myles Jack's role still unspecified entering week one of regular season and public acknowledgment by the team of Telvin Smith's lapses in positional awareness, could we see a prominent starter leapfrogged on the roster? 

Well... yes.  It's possible.  

While I'd like to see Telvin just get "coached up" on playing more disciplined with Jack joining him on nickel downs, the younger, bigger, faster Myles Jack may just be the Jags best bet at weak side linebacker. 

That would relegate Telvin to special teams work until Jack presumably takes over the middle linebacker spot late this year or early next year.  (Unless of course they feel good using Telvin and Jack in nickel package work. Here's hoping.)

Should be interesting to watch this unfold. Sure to be some upset fans if Telvin isn't getting in on a fair number of defensive snaps. 

NYC4Jags,   I'm interested in your input in the following.    Of course everyone's input as well.

In the last couple of days since the Lions claimed LB Thurston Armbrister off waivers from the Jaguars,  one thing that has been mentioned about Armbrister from a negative standpoint is he didn't play with enough discipline with the Jaguars.    Youth came to mind for me as a reason for this.   Now that I'm reading that the more experienced ( relatively speaking )  Telvin Smith is having problems with playing with discipline,   do you believe it's a coaching issue with the Jaguars LBs or something that's more about these two individual players?

D6,

Is it the Lion's brass that made that statement? Armbrister himself? Other players?

<i>Behold man's final mad disgrace.</i>

<i>He chops his nose to spite his face.</i>

-Etrigan the Demon

Quote:D6,

Is it the Lion's brass that made that statement? Armbrister himself? Other players?

Apparently,  at least one media person from Jacksonville made it.   I'm going to look for the Twitter feed and plan on posting it. 

This topic was discussed ad nausea in another thread.  Myles Jack will be an upgrade over Telvin Smith.  You don't draft a guy who was top-5 before knee defect rumors exploded to ride the pine.   

"I'm not mad, I'm proud of you. You took your first pinch like a man and you learn two great things in your life. Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut." - Jimmy Conway

(This post was last modified: 09-06-2016, 10:46 AM by D6.)

Quote:D6,

I'm going to see if I can find anything else later today but I might have made a mistake on two accounts regarding a specific Twitter Feed I saw yesterday,    The person providing the information might not be a conventional media person but he/ she apparently has high credibility as a Jaguars follower.   The Lions writer on an alternative site has a keen football mind and he believes the Jaguars follower does.    

Also,   it might have not been discipline in what I thought I recalled,  though looking super lost could be in part a discipline issue.

http://sidelionreport.com/2016/09/05/10-...ns-roster/

Who is Thurston Armbrister?
Thus far the only player on the 53-man Detroit Lions roster plucked from waivers is linebacker Thurston Armbrister. The second-year pro from Miami FL didn’t make the Jaguars after playing in all 16 games as an undrafted rookie.

I won’t claim much knowledge on Armbrister’s brief Jacksonville tenure. So I asked someone who covers the team. Here’s his response:

<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
  1. <div>
    <div>
    <div>Jeff Risdon ‏@<b>JeffRisdon</b> Sep 4

@<b>HankJoness</b> give me 140 on T. Armbrister my man

<div><span><span>0 retweets </span> </span> <span><span>0 likes </span> </span>

<div>
    <div>Reply
    </div>

<div>Retweet

Retweeted

</div>

<div>Like

Liked

</div>

<div>
    <div>More

• <li>Copy link to Tweet
    • Embed Tweet
    </div>
    </div>
    </div>
    </div>
    </div>
    </div>
    </li>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>

<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>Follow Following Unfollow Blocked Unblock Pending Cancel
</div>
[Image: avQlDSoP_bigger.jpg]School Hanx‏@<b>HankJoness</b> Sep 4</div>
</div>

@<b>JeffRisdon</b> super strong, but looks lost every time he's on the field outside of ST. Slow to diagnose. Got moved from ILB to SLB

<div>
  • <a> Like 1</a>
</div>
</div>
</div>

Telvin has all the tools to be a decent coverage LB but he takes too many false steps, partly due to his aggressiveness, and seems a little lost in zone coverage but that seems to be a common issue on D for us.

He's really grown into a leader for us and he seems to pump up the D with his TFLs. I think you have to find a way to get Jack and Telvin both on the field in order for us to have a successful D this year.

Poz was talking about assignment football, talking about preparation for Green Bay and what is crucial for a win.

It seemed like a specific call out to me for Telvin.  He and Jack will most likely be on in nickel, so he really has to be better prepared.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Why is lack of discipline always considered a coaching flaw? I feel like the term is used as some throw away term for analysts and fans when they don't know what they are talking about. The term sounds specific however it's really quite general and doesn't mean anything. 

I don't like to make excuses for coaches, though I'd also hate to pull the lack of discipline card and make it fit into reasons I don't like x-coach or x-coordinator

Pass coverage for linebackers is complex, these guys are being asked to do things they have never done, and it does take a high level of intelligence and more so mental speed (for lack of a better word) to process, analyze, make instant decisions to ultimately cover slot wr's, rb's, h-backs, etc

mastering coverage skills for linebackers is really only done by a handful of guys in the league, and it takes a few years of understanding and live action experience to put it all together. Most linebackers are a liability in coverage and that is a good reason as to why the short yardage and underneath throws are highly successful for offenses. Many average QB's can drive down field in that way.

I think Telvin does enough coverage wise, he's not the strongest, I don't think he makes too many egregious errors .. but ultimately he's too good to not have on the field and you don't see QB's trying to pick on him.

Quote:Poz was talking about assignment football, talking about preparation for Green Bay and what is crucial for a win.

It seemed like a specific call out to me for Telvin.  He and Jack will most likely be on in nickel, so he really has to be better prepared.
I got the same sense.  There have been times during the preseason where Telvin just looked lost.  Granted, there wasn't a lot of game planning going on, but if you don't know your assignment when the ball is snapped, you're prone to make mistakes.  We saw him make a few too many during the third preseason game when he didn't cover the guy he was supposed to and the defense got burned over the middle.  A lot of his deficiencies can be made up for with his athletic ability, but he does become a liability when he relies on that part of his game a lot more than the mental. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:Why is lack of discipline always considered a coaching flaw? I feel like the term is used as some throw away term for analysts and fans when they don't know what they are talking about. The term sounds specific however it's really quite general and doesn't mean anything.

I don't like to make excuses for coaches, though I'd also hate to pull the lack of discipline card and make it fit into reasons I don't like x-coach or x-coordinator

Pass coverage for linebackers is complex, these guys are being asked to do things they have never done, and it does take a high level of intelligence and more so mental speed (for lack of a better word) to process, analyze, make instant decisions to ultimately cover slot wr's, rb's, h-backs, etc

mastering coverage skills for linebackers is really only done by a handful of guys in the league, and it takes a few years of understanding and live action experience to put it all together. Most linebackers are a liability in coverage and that is a good reason as to why the short yardage and underneath throws are highly successful for offenses. Many average QB's can drive down field in that way.

I think Telvin does enough coverage wise, he's not the strongest, I don't think he makes too many egregious errors .. but ultimately he's too good to not have on the field and you don't see QB's trying to pick on him.

I wouldn't say it's always a coaching flaw, but it's hard not to point the finger at this particular coach when the lack of discipline is so widespread and over such a long period of time.

Every year it seems the players on defense can't execute Bradley's zone. Blown coverages and huge gaps in the zone seem to be a recurring theme every year, no matter the personnel. Not to mention all of the DPI flags we seem to get at key moments.
Make the Jags Great Again
Blake Bortles......YOU'RE FIRED!
Dave Caldwell.....YOU'RE FIRED!

Quote:I wouldn't say it's always a coaching flaw, but it's hard not to point the finger at this particular coach when the lack of discipline is so widespread and over such a long period of time.

Every year it seems the players on defense can't execute Bradley's zone. Blown coverages and huge gaps in the zone seem to be a recurring theme every year, no matter the personnel. Not to mention all of the DPI flags we seem to get at key moments.
That's really more a reflection of the coordinator than the head coach in most instances.  We'll see how things change with Wash.  I'm less concerned about the preseason performance because there isn't a lot of time put into game planning.  If Telvin continues to struggle now that the games matter, there's a problem.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:I got the same sense.  There have been times during the preseason where Telvin just looked lost.  Granted, there wasn't a lot of game planning going on, but if you don't know your assignment when the ball is snapped, you're prone to make mistakes.  We saw him make a few too many during the third preseason game when he didn't cover the guy he was supposed to and the defense got burned over the middle.  A lot of his deficiencies can be made up for with his athletic ability, but he does become a liability when he relies on that part of his game a lot more than the mental. 

It also tells me Poz is probably seeing it more often than we do, too.  Meaning, he's concerned with what he's seeing in practice/preparation/film room as well.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:It also tells me Poz is probably seeing it more often than we do, too.  Meaning, he's concerned with what he's seeing in practice/preparation/film room as well.

Agreed.  Telvin was able to shine based on his athletic ability last year, but he needs to take the next step in his progression and sharpen up his mental game.  I think Poz is concerned that having a rookie and Telvin out there getting confused is going to be a major headache for him.  I'm sure he's working with both of them to tighten this up.  His comments would be considered a shot across the bow so to speak.

Quote:I got the same sense. There have been times during the preseason where Telvin just looked lost. Granted, there wasn't a lot of game planning going on, but if you don't know your assignment when the ball is snapped, you're prone to make mistakes. We saw him make a few too many during the third preseason game when he didn't cover the guy he was supposed to and the defense got burned over the middle. A lot of his deficiencies can be made up for with his athletic ability, but he does become a liability when he relies on that part of his game a lot more than the mental.

Agreed. Ho many time have we seen a TE running wide open down field or in the middle. He's looked lost against the Jets and Bengals this preseason. I hope he gets it cleaned up.

No, he is a solid OLB

<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

Yep. We gonna bench one of the top 100 players of last year based on pre-season.

Quote:Yep. We gonna bench one of the top 100 players of last year based on pre-season.

He looked lost at times last season.

No, you find a way to get them both on the field. Ramsey for example, would probably be a better FS than CB but you won't see anyone proposing for Gipson to be benched. It seems they want to replace a quality player like Telvin, but yet scrubs like Cyprien and Joeckel are given multiple chances.