Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Telvin Smith - A Liability?

Telvin is solid and yes he has made some mistakes early in the preseason. Doesn't he usually play the right side cause he looked like he has been playing left and probably not comfortable. They better figure out Luke on offense. He couldn't handle left tackle and now you want to move him in closer to the QB.. Bout the worst you could do..... Good luck there offense and how many sacks will it take to change him. I hope you don't think GB wasn't watching

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Lol...

Telvin should not be leaving the field just to get Jack on the field.

If our defense can't allow for Jack and Telvin to be on the field at the same time I question the choice in defense more than I do either player's ability.

Quote:This Telvin talk is beginning to remind me of the McCray stuff...

The best guys will play.  It's not a bad thing if Telvin sits on run downs.  It means the team's getting better.

No need to get upset... unless you bought the jersey or got the autograph, I guess...

He is a liability in coverage, but sits on run downs?

Making a strong point right here. 

Telvin needs to be on the field. 

Anyone with a functioning brain knows this. 

Dumb thread is dumb. 

(This post was last modified: 09-06-2016, 08:36 PM by trunt87.)

And I am sorry, but who is Poz to be calling a teammate out on his preparation?

The guy probably couldn't cover Alualu out of the backfield. 

Quote: 

Telvin needs to be on the field. 

Anyone with a functioning brain knows this. 

Dumb thread is dumb. 

Didn't read the original post?  

It says that I think he should still start and be in with Jack on nickel. But he might not.  So you agree with the OP, but call it a dumb thread. Brilliant.

The topic is relevant because it's been all over the Jags blogosphere and Bradley commented on it in a presser. 

Quote:Telvin is solid and yes he has made some mistakes early in the preseason. Doesn't he usually play the right side cause he looked like he has been playing left and probably not comfortable....

He's more commonly on the right - but he and Skuta flip according to the offensive formation. (strong-side/weak-side)

Quote:Didn't read the original post?  

It says that I think he should still start and be in with Jack on nickel. But he might not.  So you agree with the OP, but call it a dumb thread. Brilliant.

The topic is relevant because it's been all over the Jags blogosphere and Bradley commented on it in a presser. 

The OP is not what is making this thread dumb. 

Again, I'll wait for at least one game to reassess Telvin's value and how he can be optimally utilized, not that I have credence to.  Otherwise, redundant, premature material.

Poz says we need to be disciplined and follow though on assignments...

Mental brigade assume he's referring to one player, given how disciplined and mentally astute the Jags have been on the field of play.

This is where I get lost

Personally, I am uncertain of the thread's purpose - at this precise point in time - given that we haven't seen an actual output of the Jags 2016 defense.  We have no true basis for comparison.  As fans, we sometimes overkill items, and expect definite answers before gathering anything resembling quantifiable data/evidence.  NYC still tops in my list.

Success is a journey, not a destination.  Go all out Mighty Jaguars.

Quote:Again, I'll wait for at least one game to reassess Telvin's value and how he can be optimally utilized, not that I have credence to.  Otherwise, redundant, premature material.

Poz says we need to be disciplined and follow though on assignments...

Mental brigade assume he's referring to one player, given how disciplined and mentally astute the Jags have been on the field of play.

This is where I get lost

Personally, I am uncertain of the thread's purpose - at this precise point in time - given that we haven't seen an actual output of the Jags 2016 defense.  We have no true basis for comparison.  As fans, we sometimes overkill items, and expect definite answers before gathering anything resembling quantifiable data/evidence.  NYC still tops in my list.

Thanks, my man, but I'm not the one calling him a liability and suggesting the change at WLB.  Its the GM and HC suggesting it's a possibility.  I'm just the messenger. 

DiRocco ESPN:

Quote:<p style="font-family:Georgia, 'Times New Roman', Times, serif;font-size:16px;color:rgb(72,73,74);">Based on what Jaguars GM Dave Caldwell said, it appears Jack won't be playing strongside linebacker, which is what the Jaguars call otto.

<p style="font-family:Georgia, 'Times New Roman', Times, serif;font-size:16px;color:rgb(72,73,74);">"We said from the beginning the idea that it’s a lot more difficult to learn the Mike position, the inside linebacker position in our scheme and having to make all the calls and checks," Caldwell said. "Once we felt comfortable there, we felt like moving him to Will because you got to have flexibility on game day and he’s going to be responsible learning both those positions."

<p style="font-family:Georgia, 'Times New Roman', Times, serif;font-size:16px;color:rgb(72,73,74);">That may be a message to current starting weakside linebacker Telvin Smith. He has had issues with missing assignments and blowing coverages throughout his career, though he has been able to make up for some of that with his speed. However, Jack’s strength is as a coverage linebacker, so it wouldn’t be a surprise to see Jack on the field on third down – but will it be with Posluszny or Smith?

<p style="font-family:Georgia, 'Times New Roman', Times, serif;font-size:16px;color:rgb(72,73,74);">That answer probably won’t be known until Sunday’s game against the Packers.

O-Zone:

Quote:<div>Scott from Fernandina Beach, FL:
With Myles Jack[Image: icon-article-link.gif] the presumptive replacement for Paul Poslusnzy at middle linebacker, I would think they're going to play him there on some third-and-longs. He'll need the reps in real games to make the switch.
John: I won’t say that Jack will never play middle linebacker in passing situations this season. I will say that I think Posluszny is going to be in the middle in passing situations to start the season and I don’t think there’s much of an inclination to have him off the field much any time soon.

</div>
Quote:John: I don’t know that I feel particularly strongly either way on this issue. I get that fans love Telvin Smith’s playmaking ability and he certainly brings strengths to a defense. I also get that the Jaguars need to get Jack on the field, and that they need to do that without taking Posluszny off of it. That gets you down to determining if Jack can play the strong side of the defense. Right now, that doesn’t appear to be the direction they’re going.

Jacksonville.com:

Quote:As for Jack’s participation on defense against Green Bay, Bradley said: “We’ll look and see how this week goes. He gives us flexibility. If he continues to play [well], we’ll have to find a role for him. … Where he fits in defensively right now, ask me more toward the end of the week.”

This is just a snippet. ^  There has been tons of speculation about Jack at WLB.

(Poz's comments had nothing to do with my creation of this topic/thread )

I clearly stated that I'd like Telvin to stay put w/ Jack coming in on nickel downs for Poz, but the amount of speculation about Jack taking either Telvin's nickel snaps or starting in place of him is too much for me to just ignore.  Thus... this thread. 

Quote:This whole discussion about Telvin is overblown. His blown coverage does not happen "regularly". In fact, it doesn't happen often at all. When it does, it's terrible and that's why people are bringing it up.

This is a lack of discipline, and that falls on the coaches. This ENTIRE team plays undisciplined every single game It never changes, and it wouldn't change with Jack playing WILL. The players aren't the problem - look at their potential and how skilled they are without proper coaching. Just imagine if Belichick, Tomlin, or Harbaugh had control of this team.

Well to your point, I think it's a great sign that we can begin to nit-pick on one of the best players on the team and complain about blown assignments. Telvin is a point where he is known for being a play-maker who sees opportunities and makes things happen, he's shown above average technique when tackling, angling and most any other LB movement. the refinement process is up to him. He can go from very good to elite if he can master coverages and assignments . That's the feeling I get. Telvin is on the border of great and elite. He's a unique player, he actually reminds me so much of Derrick Brooks in the way he plays, his body type and unique athleticism.

This puts a lot of responsibility on Todd Wash, Robert Saleh and maybe Monte Kiffin.. I'm not sure of Kiffin's role on the defense, but he coached Derrick Brooks and that's one of the reasons I referenced him. If I were Smith, I would want to talk Kiffin's ear off. Having a guy like Kiffin on the staff is extremely encouraging for his years of experience and success as a coach

Quote:I do.  I have primarily been a supporter of Bradley and his staff, but the one thing that has "stuck in my craw" about this staff is the lack of disciplined play.  

Not just the LBs either.  Linemen on either side and multiple secondary spots have been guilty as well. 

There are too many unforced errors. There are dumb mistakes being made by young guys and vets alike  -

and playing out of position keeps popping up as a complaint at multiple positions over the past three years. 

It's my one legitimate gripe with this staff. They ought to be managing more technically sound and disciplined play from this group.  I feel that with Telvin's athleticism and apparent decent football IQ, this issue should have been correctable and should have already been cleaned up or at least get fixed very soon.

I still support this staff and see potential for success, but more disciplined execution is a requirement moving forward in my eyes.  

Thanks for your input!  

Based on what you have seen or heard this past off-season and especially this summer,  do you think that Gus Bradley has taken the necessary steps to correct the problems you touched on?

(This post was last modified: 09-07-2016, 12:14 AM by D6.)

Quote:Armbrister's problem is that he's terrible. Takes bad angles, misses tackles, just looks lost out there. Even had moments that made special teams look like special ed teams, but he had plenty of help on that.

Also, Telvin's not being benched, but that's a general comment rather than a reply to you.

If Thurston Armbrister is called upon to play LB this season with the Lions,  in reality he would be the 7th option.  That includes 4 LBs on the 53 man roster and 2 LBs on IR.   If a team needs to use their 7th option at LB at one of the LB positions in his first season with the team,   the chances of the season turning out well aren't good.   On the other hand,  if Armbrister  doesn't display enough consistency on Special Teams,   he will very likely be out of work again.

As for what you mention regarding Telvin Smith,  I think I'm getting a grasp of what's going on with him through the input in this thread.   It will be interesting to see what Smith's snap count is on Defense against a variety of early season opponents. 

Telvin Smith is the real deal. Jack is hype. Until 2016 on the field performance shows otherwise.

Quote:The OP is not what is making this thread dumb. 

What's dumb is folks not realizing the entire point is that Telvin needs to step up his coverage game.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:   Thanks for your input!  

Based on what you have seen or heard this past off-season and especially this summer,  do you think that Gus Bradley has taken the necessary steps to correct the problems you touched on?

Anytime, D6.  Always good to talk football with you. 

Based strictly from the off-season - it's very hard to give a positive grade on any "correction" of these issues.  The Todd Wash promotion and jettison of Babich is seemingly a step in the right direction, but the fruits of his labor are not yet ripe on the vine. 

I'm still in wait and see mode regarding the level of disciplined play, but the preseason was not encouraging in that regard. 

Holding out hope, D6. Holding out hope....

Quote:Why is lack of discipline always considered a coaching flaw? I feel like the term is used as some throw away term for analysts and fans when they don't know what they are talking about. The term sounds specific however it's really quite general and doesn't mean anything. 

I don't like to make excuses for coaches, though I'd also hate to pull the lack of discipline card and make it fit into reasons I don't like x-coach or x-coordinator

Pass coverage for linebackers is complex, these guys are being asked to do things they have never done, and it does take a high level of intelligence and more so mental speed (for lack of a better word) to process, analyze, make instant decisions to ultimately cover slot wr's, rb's, h-backs, etc

mastering coverage skills for linebackers is really only done by a handful of guys in the league, and it takes a few years of understanding and live action experience to put it all together. Most linebackers are a liability in coverage and that is a good reason as to why the short yardage and underneath throws are highly successful for offenses. Many average QB's can drive down field in that way.

I think Telvin does enough coverage wise, he's not the strongest, I don't think he makes too many egregious errors .. but ultimately he's too good to not have on the field and you don't see QB's trying to pick on him.

with this team it's a consistent thing.. lack of player development

people come in show promise and then just.. do nothing

aka cyprien

Robinson, Bortles... the list of non developing players just pile up all over the place... 

Alot of talent on offense developing even though Gus is a defensive genius (lol).

I'm sure practicing against the ice cream defense does wonders for their confidence and helps them develop.
Make the Jags Great Again
Blake Bortles......YOU'RE FIRED!
Dave Caldwell.....YOU'RE FIRED!

Isn't Telvin being threatened with the bench due to how well Jack is developing?

Quote:Isn't Telvin being threatened with the bench due to how well Jack is developing?

Pretty much.