Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Joey Porter Jr

(This post was last modified: 12-02-2022, 11:30 AM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

Gonna give this guy his own thread

Im starting to warm up to Porter as my top prospect for us after Carter is gone. If we win 1 more game I think Carter is out of reach.

Ive always ranked bloodlines a bit higher as well because they almost always live up to their potential. One of the reasons i was really high on Samuel Jr. and Surtain

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/lists...ornerback/

https://www.espn.com/college-football/st...nter-draft

In Cover-0, Cover-1, and 2-Man this season, per Sports Info Solutions, Porter has allowed just eight catches on 22 targets for 64 yards, an opponent passer rating of 44.9, and an EPA per target allowed of -0.223. This is where he thrives the most as an aggressive alpha cornerback.

Porter is no slouch in zone coverage, either — this season, when in Cover-2, Cover-3, Cover-4, and Cover-6, per Pro Football Focus, he’s allowed six catches on nine targets for 73 yards, 34 yards after the catch, and an opponent passer rating of 91.4. There are times when he’s a bit more vulnerable in zone, or he’ll give up short completions that are almost automatic in the scheme, but his 2022 zone defense tape is where the development really shows up.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

As a PSU alumnus, I've watched Porter's development into a top NFL prospect. He has all the physical traits necessary to be a shutdown corner and it doesn't hurt that he has the DNA of a former 4 time pro-bowler who spent 13 seasons in the NFL. Depending on where the Jags pick in the 2023 draft, he will be one of the top players that the team will target. He and Campbell would make a strong combo and make things easier for the pass rushers to get sacks.

Wouldn't mind him here at all. Penn State has been churning out solid defenders for years. I like his teammate Mustipher as well.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(12-04-2022, 10:52 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Wouldn't mind him here at all. Penn State has been churning out solid defenders for years. I like his teammate Mustipher as well.

Mustipher is a very solid nose tackle prospect who likely can be drafted in rounds 4 or 5. He still isn't completely recovered from the knee injury he suffered last season. He isn't going to be much of a pass rusher, but would be an asset on 1st and 2nd downs. I believe his best football is in front of him and he is also considered a team leader who'd fit right in with the current players on defense.

Porter has become my #1 prospect as of right now. Our defense has little on the back end. Cisco and Campbell are solid, that is it. Darious Williams looked like he didn't even want to be out there today.
LOVE THEM JAGUARS!

(This post was last modified: 12-04-2022, 10:43 PM by rpr52121. Edited 1 time in total.)

Doesn't it make more sense to try to go pass rusher with the No. 1 pick and CB with the No 2 or 3 pick?

Obviously if everything things he will be as good as Sauce, then that is a horse of a different color. But those guys are pretty rare.

(12-04-2022, 10:42 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: Doesn't it make more sense to try to go pass rusher with the No. 1 pick and CB with the No 2 or 3 pick?

Obviously if everything things he will be as good as Sauce, then that is a horse of a different color. But those guys are pretty rare.

Unfortunately I think between Allen and Walker, they've already spent their spend on pass rush early in the darft. At least next season, put tools around them that will help them realize potential, either in DBs or interior pass rush help.

If Allen still ain't gettin it done, he is allowed to walk in 2024 and you can look to his replacement. If we send Griffin packing, that's a big hole that needs filling and after yesterday, it's glaringly apparent that his replacement is not currently on the roster.

(12-04-2022, 10:42 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: Doesn't it make more sense to try to go pass rusher with the No. 1 pick and CB with the No 2 or 3 pick?

Absolutely, if Anderson or Carter is there you take them.  I'm not sure there will be a pass rusher after those 2 better than Porter Jr though.  If there is you definitely take one.  I'm still thinking about Tyree Wilson.

It doesn't look like the Jaguars will have a shot at either Carter or Anderson. They will likely beat the Texans and pick in the 6-8 range. Porter would be a solid pick for sure, but I'd go with the BAP who would be Quinten Johnston. They can then get a good corner with the 2nd pick to play opposite Campbell since this will be one of the deepest positions in the draft. Wide receiver is not the team's biggest need considering the lack of any pass rush, but there are no other pass rushers/defensive linemen worthy of such a high pick. Wilson looks like he could be another Walker due to lack of pass rush moves. Hopefully there will be a new defensive coordinator who can get more out of guys like Walker and Lloyd. Caldwell just looks like he's in over his head.

(This post was last modified: 12-05-2022, 05:24 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(12-05-2022, 04:33 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: It doesn't look like the Jaguars will have a shot at either Carter or Anderson. They will likely beat the Texans and pick in the 6-8 range. Porter would be a solid pick for sure, but I'd go with the BAP who would be Quinten Johnston. They can then get a good corner with the 2nd pick to play opposite Campbell since this will be one of the deepest positions in the draft. Wide receiver is not the team's biggest need considering the lack of any pass rush, but there are no other pass rushers/defensive linemen worthy of such a high pick. Wilson looks like he could be another Walker due to lack of pass rush moves. Hopefully there will be a new defensive coordinator who can get more out of guys like Walker and Lloyd. Caldwell just looks like he's in over his head.

Likely beat the Texans?  I wouldn't say that.  They have best us 8 or 9 times in a row and already once at home this year.  Now we have to go there to play them.  We could beat them for the first time in 4 or 5 years but I wouldn't say it's Likely

(12-05-2022, 05:23 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(12-05-2022, 04:33 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: It doesn't look like the Jaguars will have a shot at either Carter or Anderson. They will likely beat the Texans and pick in the 6-8 range. Porter would be a solid pick for sure, but I'd go with the BAP who would be Quinten Johnston. They can then get a good corner with the 2nd pick to play opposite Campbell since this will be one of the deepest positions in the draft. Wide receiver is not the team's biggest need considering the lack of any pass rush, but there are no other pass rushers/defensive linemen worthy of such a high pick. Wilson looks like he could be another Walker due to lack of pass rush moves. Hopefully there will be a new defensive coordinator who can get more out of guys like Walker and Lloyd. Caldwell just looks like he's in over his head.

Likely beat the Texans?  I wouldn't say that.  They have best us 8 or 9 times in a row and already once at home this year.  Now we have to go there to play them.  We could beat them for the first time in 4 or 5 years but I wouldn't say it's Likely

You're probably right about that. Houston is really bad, but so are the Jaguars.

https://twitter.com/_john_shipley/status...pUUZnva_gg

Looks like Shipley agrees with you.

Porter at 7 is good.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(12-06-2022, 10:01 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Porter at 7 is good.

For sure, right around where he should go.  If he has a good combine it will solidify it

(12-07-2022, 08:08 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(12-06-2022, 10:01 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Porter at 7 is good.

For sure, right around where he should go.  If he has a good combine it will solidify it

Where does he stack up coming out of college with Gardner from this year and Surtain the previous year? Just curious. I like the kid for sure. Think he'll give Campbell a run for his money for CB1. 

I hope we honestly get him at this point. For me, it's either him or Jalen Carter in the top ten and then the rest of the draft should be offensive centric with hopefully another move or two up to land a quality starter at TE or LG.

Porter and Johnston would be the clear favorites if the Jags were picking today since Carter and Anderson will be gone. I'm sticking with Johnston as my top choice depending on his Combine numbers and character evaluation. There are no other receivers in this draft who have his combination of size, speed, route running, etc. This pick would be clearly a BAP since wide receiver is below pass rusher and cornerback when it comes to team needs. Another factor is the good possibility of finding a solid 2nd corner near the top of round 2. That's where they got Campbell and he has been very solid once he gained some experience playing at the NFL level. I believe the difference between Porter and Clark Phillips or Kris Abrams-Draine is not so great that you pass on a potentially elite X receiver who would also open things up for Kirk, Ridley and Jones.

(12-07-2022, 01:43 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: Porter and Johnston would be the clear favorites if the Jags were picking today since Carter and Anderson will be gone. I'm sticking with Johnston as my top choice depending on his Combine numbers and character evaluation. There are no other receivers in this draft who have his combination of size, speed, route running, etc. This pick would be clearly a BAP since wide receiver is below pass rusher and cornerback when it comes to team needs. Another factor is the good possibility of finding a solid 2nd corner near the top of round 2. That's where they got Campbell and he has been very solid once he gained some experience playing at the NFL level. I believe the difference between Porter and Clark Phillips or Kris Abrams-Draine  is not so great that you pass on a potentially elite X receiver who would also open things up for Kirk, Ridley and Jones.

Fair points. Receiving wise I want to see how A.T Perry tests out. He would be my closest comparison to Quentin Johnston and somebody I would like to see them target in RD2. Rashee Rice & Dontay Demus Jr. also need to be on their radar in RD3.

(This post was last modified: 12-08-2022, 12:56 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(12-07-2022, 09:16 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(12-07-2022, 08:08 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: For sure, right around where he should go.  If he has a good combine it will solidify it

Where does he stack up coming out of college with Gardner from this year and Surtain the previous year? Just curious. I like the kid for sure. Think he'll give Campbell a run for his money for CB1. 

I hope we honestly get him at this point. For me, it's either him or Jalen Carter in the top ten and then the rest of the draft should be offensive centric with hopefully another move or two up to land a quality starter at TE or LG.

I watched much more of Surtain than I have on Porter Jr but I was very high on Surtain coming out and he was my top corner.  I think they are pretty similar though as prospect with the slight edge to Surtain coming out of Alabama.  Both about the same height and size, similar corners imo.  I think the combine will be big for Porter Jr, if he has a good combine and runs a 4.4 I think he will be at the top of our board after Anderson and Carter.  I hope the Eagles dont pick ahead of us with the NO pick because I think they would take him to replace Bradberry who will be a FA.  We need the Saints to lose.

(12-07-2022, 01:43 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: Porter and Johnston would be the clear favorites if the Jags were picking today since Carter and Anderson will be gone. I'm sticking with Johnston as my top choice depending on his Combine numbers and character evaluation. There are no other receivers in this draft who have his combination of size, speed, route running, etc. This pick would be clearly a BAP since wide receiver is below pass rusher and cornerback when it comes to team needs. Another factor is the good possibility of finding a solid 2nd corner near the top of round 2. That's where they got Campbell and he has been very solid once he gained some experience playing at the NFL level. I believe the difference between Porter and Clark Phillips or Kris Abrams-Draine  is not so great that you pass on a potentially elite X receiver who would also open things up for Kirk, Ridley and Jones.

After Anderson and Carter, for me right now it is probably Porter Jr, then Skoronski, then Johnston and Hyatt.

(12-08-2022, 12:55 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(12-07-2022, 09:16 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Where does he stack up coming out of college with Gardner from this year and Surtain the previous year? Just curious. I like the kid for sure. Think he'll give Campbell a run for his money for CB1. 

I watched much more of Surtain than I have on Porter Jr but I was very high on Surtain coming out and he was my top corner.  I think they are pretty similar though as prospect with the slight edge to Surtain coming out of Alabama.  Both about the same height and size, similar corners imo.  I think the combine will be big for Porter Jr, if he has a good combine and runs a 4.4 I think he will be at the top of our board after Anderson and Carter.  I hope the Eagles dont pick ahead of us with the NO pick because I think they would take him to replace Bradberry who will be a FA.  We need the Saints to lose.

After Anderson and Carter, for me right now it is probably Porter Jr, then Skoronski, then Johnston and Hyatt.
I'm having a har time deciding between Johnston and Hyatt.

We could use a big physical receiver like Johnston and a field stretcher like Hyatt.

I'm leaning Hyatt, but still going back and forth.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(12-08-2022, 02:02 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(12-08-2022, 12:55 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I watched much more of Surtain than I have on Porter Jr but I was very high on Surtain coming out and he was my top corner.  I think they are pretty similar though as prospect with the slight edge to Surtain coming out of Alabama.  Both about the same height and size, similar corners imo.  I think the combine will be big for Porter Jr, if he has a good combine and runs a 4.4 I think he will be at the top of our board after Anderson and Carter.  I hope the Eagles dont pick ahead of us with the NO pick because I think they would take him to replace Bradberry who will be a FA.  We need the Saints to lose.

I'm having a har time deciding between Johnston and Hyatt.

We could use a big physical receiver like Johnston and a field stretcher like Hyatt.

I'm leaning Hyatt, but still going back and forth.

Agreed, they are about even for me